Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:eyepop: That's loving awesome

I'm also happy because I was afraid it was going to eat up all $32 of my Steam wallet that I got just by selling CS:GO/Pubg stuff :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

If you have high strength, a +15 great club will deal waaaay more damage than a +5 raw one. Do not use raw on weapons that have high scaling.

Ya I meant standard +15 not raw. Dunno why I said raw lol.

CJacobs posted:

https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/988782256603910144

:c00l:

edit: The discount is 50% off, seems the game is going to retail for $40. You have no excuse not to buy Dark Souls Remastered for 20 bucks because that's peanuts!

Ye I am definitely in now. For those who have never played DS, $40 is still good for this great game or you can get the old version for $20 especially if you don't care about online play and with dsfix it looks alright definitely not garbage like the old console versions.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I just bought and finished this game for the first time, and I'm definitely picking up the remaster for 40

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

100% definitely sold now. I got DS1 for $5 on PC and it's felt like stealing.

I bought Dark Souls on Steam with money earned purely by selling cards back when you could get a decent chunk from them. I'll certainly get the remaster.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The less cool news here is that they're apparently going to be delisting the original game on steam. So RIP all the cool mods, and also being able to run the game on an old computer.

I mean, of course you'll still be able to play them if you already own the game but that really puts a damper on future mod developments when nobody can buy the game you're modding anymore.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Someone brought up in the steam thread a good point that other remasters of games that get de-listed will include the original when you buy the remaster. For example you can't buy the original bioshock anymore, but if you buy the remaster you get the original with it. That'll hopefully be the case here.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This is probably to exclude the possibility of my brilliant idea working: wait until the original goes on sale for a fiver, then buy the remaster discounted by half, spending 25$ on a 40$ game.

I mean for anyone who doesn't have the original yet, so 0.00001% of interested parties, but you know :v:.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Woohoo! That means I'm going to play DS1 again on a new character less than three months after I just did that.

Well I was anyway, but now there won't be any hemming and hawing over having it on day1.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Simply Simon posted:

This is probably to exclude the possibility of my brilliant idea working: wait until the original goes on sale for a fiver, then buy the remaster discounted by half, spending 25$ on a 40$ game.

I mean for anyone who doesn't have the original yet, so 0.00001% of interested parties, but you know :v:.

Seems like a lot of effort (or rather patience in this case) for a $15 discount! But yeah I imagine it will get delisted automatically as soon as the remaster is out

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm excited for Faith to get a subtle buff, now that non-Estus healing is supposedly disabled during invasions. Go Go Great Heal :supaburn:

e: ALSO NO MORE loving DIVINE BLESSING SPAM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh well, so I already preordered my PS4 copy of DS1 remastered now I will buy it on PC too because that 50% off on launch... :homebrew:

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm excited for Faith to get a subtle buff, now that non-Estus healing is supposedly disabled during invasions. Go Go Great Heal :supaburn:

e: ALSO NO MORE loving DIVINE BLESSING SPAM

Great heal is a non-estus healing method, did you mean Estus healing is disabled or are you glad Great Heals won't be allowed?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kalaxus posted:

Great heal is a non-estus healing method, did you mean Estus healing is disabled or are you glad Great Heals won't be allowed?

I meant that Humanity and Divine Blessings no longer work during invasions. I assume miracles still do 'cause otherwise that would be stupid and not in line with the other games.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't estus healing now enabled though (similarly to DS3 where it's halved), in exchange for the loss of the other methods? Or did I imagine that?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, estus healing is allowed and halved in uses. I think their meaning was there's a reason to use healing miracles as an invader now instead of just popping humanities which you will have plenty of

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, estus healing is allowed and halved in uses. I think their meaning was there's a reason to use healing miracles as an invader now instead of just popping humanities which you will have plenty of

Yes, this. Healing miracles were always pretty useless thanks to Humanity being better in every way, as well as flasks being extremely plentiful, but now there's a situation in which they are particularly useful. I abused the gently caress out of miracles in the other games for invasion healing :v:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Is DS the best $5 steam game? I can't think of another game I've gotten for that or less that I've played as much as this one

Maybe FTL comes close

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there going to be a discord when the remastered comes out? Interested in doing co op pve through most of the game since I already beat it many times alone but have rarely played DS1 online other than a few invades here n' there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Is DS the best $5 steam game? I can't think of another game I've gotten for that or less that I've played as much as this one

Maybe FTL comes close

I mean I can think of "better" ones but they're in different genres and nothing like Dark Souls, so it would just be a list of cheap games that I really like.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If you're purely going by (hopefully fun) time playing vs. money spent, probably various Roguelikes have it beat. Iunno if the likes of Binding of Isaac or Darkest Dungeon ever go down to 5$ specifically, though.

Ulio posted:

Is there going to be a discord when the remastered comes out? Interested in doing co op pve through most of the game since I already beat it many times alone but have rarely played DS1 online other than a few invades here n' there.
Well, there's a Souls discord already, I'd assume the people on there would just make a new channel. There's even one for Chalice dungeons on there which nobody uses, haha

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
It's probably the best $5 game from a major developer.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I got invaded in Anor Londo while hollow. Can you get invaded while hollow if you're carrying dragon scales or is this just one of those invasion bug things? Anor is not dark and Snorlax and Pikachu are still up if those factors have any bearing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kalaxus posted:

I got invaded in Anor Londo while hollow. Can you get invaded while hollow if you're carrying dragon scales or is this just one of those invasion bug things? Anor is not dark and Snorlax and Pikachu are still up if those factors have any bearing

Dragon scale does not have any effect on multiplayer mechanics, the dragon eye tooltip is a lie. There is no reason I’m aware of why you should be invaded while hollow in DS1. It is probably a bug.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm still finding new things in this game after all these years.

The hydra in Ash Lake will fly around and follow you.

This area exists.

Sif is afraid of invaders?

If you leave Lautrec alive, after Petrus returns from the catacomb pilgrimage alone Lautrec will offer to tell you a secret. After he tells you, when you speak to Petrus he will explain 'what happened.'

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sanctum posted:

hm, on a recent playthrough when I got close enough the cutscene started and the 2 invaders I had left my world.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

iirc the petrus dialogue is a pain in the neck to trigger properly.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The problem is that in order to trigger Petrus' dialogue, you need to pay Lautrec for his tip, which you can only do after talking to Petrus once Rhea arrives at Firelink and before beating Gaping Dragon. That's a very narrow window if you're following the standard path.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
When I did my NG/NG+ playthrough a few weeks ago I twice missed her at Firelink.

It seems that if you remember enough game flow to just truck on through a few bosses, she's arrived and gone before you return. On NG+ I was wondering where she was and ran down to Patches early because I completely forgot she appears in town first.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Well, there's a Souls discord already, I'd assume the people on there would just make a new channel. There's even one for Chalice dungeons on there which nobody uses, haha

Where is the link for it?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sanctum posted:

The Sif cutscene doesn't trigger from the backside of the gravestone (you can tell it's the backside because the Hornet Ring item light is visible in the screenshot).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ulio posted:

Where is the link for it?

Here https://discord.gg/rcP4rnW

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Sanctum posted:

The hydra in Ash Lake will fly around and follow you.

This freaked me the gently caress out when I saw it happen. You should never see that things underside, blurgh.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I forgot it could do that. Someone in here was joking about how a few planks of wood could deflect several tons of hydra meat, but get wrecked by the water spray, so I took the advice and stood at the cliff for both and swiped at the heads that came into range.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love how that hydra does that since the devs totally knew people wouldn’t even bother fighting another hydra in such an open area.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
The Hydra's greatest weakness: an undead standing directly in front of it. It may have several heads, but apparently none of them are very good eating meals that are presented to it. Not sure if its got T-rex vision issues or it just has a terrible problem attempting to lead a target that's standing perfectly still :ninja:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I think the Hydra is the biggest paper tiger in the series, I'm trying to think of anything else that competes

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

how about that frog thing in DS2. at least the hydra is threatening from a distance

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Ancient Wyvern dies if you do 1 damage to its head.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Gwynevere. She's so big but you just hit her once and she dies what the heck <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Djeser posted:

Gwynevere. She's so big but you just hit her once and she dies what the heck <:mad:>

Did you never pop balloons as a kid?

• Locked thread