Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really dislike this trailer. It's edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.
Yeah its a little amateurish, I think it really nails Dark Souls' oppressive gothic horror vibe though. Also that half second clip of Pinwheel is probably the greatest part of the entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've heard that the game runs properly for most reviewers, but there's no telling for all of us. If it isn't actually running that well, I get the feeling not many people will make it past Blighttown.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I imported the game originally so I was one of the first people here to play, and honestly not having anyone to ask questions or share experiences with at first was the best way to do the beginning of the game, I think. Once you get it, consider giving it at least a few hours before looking in this thread again.

edit: someone needs to find out right quick how the hell the low FPS "feature" interacts with Blighttown.

MrEltee
Jun 11, 2011

"President Reagan!
Gorbachev has actually...
registered Hypercam 2!!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: someone needs to find out right quick how the hell the low FPS "feature" interacts with Blighttown.

Namco guys at Gamescom said FPS problems had been worken out, so apparently it runs better.

Contradictory with how they said problems weren't fixed at first due to their PC-related issues.. but sweet.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Firstly, this is the best DS trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrNWNc2VCA

Secondly, I thought the point of splitting the threads was so that we could talk spoilers here?

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Firstly, this is the best DS trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrNWNc2VCA

Secondly, I thought the point of splitting the threads was so that we could talk spoilers here?

It was sort of both and neither. We didn't want to spoil the main game for PC newbies, and the console goons didn't want the DLC spoiled in the other thread.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Oh geez, the framerate issues had better be fixed.

Wow, an automatic disconnection if your framerate drops below 15... I am sure that will piss many people off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The other thread is pretty much no holds barred for spoilers now, so I was under the impression this was for avoiding spoilers (or at least recreating that early first couple weeks of Dark Souls release) and avoiding platform superiority bullshit.

Outright DLC spoilers I'll try to contain to the second post. I can't promise spoiler control of discussion of the DLC in here, since once Dark Souls talk gets going it has to hit spoilers eventually.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 23, 2012

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Best fan-made trailer :smug: http://youtu.be/kVpD9Cps2Mg

Seriously, that sums up everything that's awesome in the game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orv posted:

The other thread is pretty much no holds barred for spoilers now, so I was under the impression this was for avoiding spoilers (or at least recreating that early first couple weeks of Dark Souls release) and avoiding YCS style bullshit.

Oh see I had it backwards. I thought that the console people that have to wait a few months for the DLC didn't want to be spoiled by us talking about it, hence this thread. Its fine either way, everyone is usually good about using tags.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A Japanese guy put together this movie-style trailer for it, I think it's pretty slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62fhmWDkx8

edit: beaten

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oh see I had it backwards. I thought that the console people that have to wait a few months for the DLC didn't want to be spoiled by us talking about it, hence this thread. Its fine either way, everyone is usually good about using tags.

Depending on the release of the DLC on consoles and how fast this thread moves, we can probably close the other one and merge discussion once everyone has it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Honestly, since the Prepare to Die content is brand spanking new, it's probably best to use a healthy amount of spoiler tags in both threads for at least a while longer. At least for fight-winning strategy chat and traps and stuff, obviously everyone will know what characters are in it after a little while.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 23, 2012

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Man I hope there's a way to get around the 30 FPS cap without breaking the game.

So tired of that poo poo with console ports.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

TerminalBlue posted:

Man I hope there's a way to get around the 30 FPS cap without breaking the game.

The animations and game speed are tied to FPS, I believe, so you almost certainly will not be able to.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

TerminalBlue posted:

I thought the reason for this cap was that Dark Souls bases animation timings off of frames instead of actual timings?

Edit: beaten

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I doubt the 30FPS cap is going to be all that bad. Lately I've taken to using an outside program (MSI Afterburner On-Screen Display) to forcibly lock my FPS in games at about 30-35, which lets me crank the graphics whilst having a fairly solid gameplay experience without the FPS jumping around.

The real question is whether or not Dark Souls will run at a constant 30 or not.

As for Dark Souls spoilers, the way I see it, the console thread is open for general Dark Souls chat but not DLC chat, while this thread is for both in a limited manner until an indeterminate point in the future when everything can be expected to be common knowledge.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The animations and game speed are tied to FPS, I believe, so you almost certainly will not be able to.

Not too surprising really. Just venting about how many games make my nice shiny PC run stuff that runs on 5 year old hardware at 30fps. I know lots of console games tie animations/physics/etc to framerate.

Hopefully significantly faster PC hardware will be able to brute-force its way through those problems.
vvvvvvvv

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

The real question is whether or not Dark Souls will run at a constant 30 or not.
It's not like either of the console versions did, and it's not just Blighttown, several other areas got their frame rates shot to hell. Those tree monsters in the forest did it especially.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I have a nearly omnipresent lag in Dark Souls on my Xbox, but honestly I think my Xbox is slightly defective since it lags like that in a lot of games. I'm used to it. The worrisome part is that auto-disconnect - I'd be fine with Blighttown still dropping me to 3FPS like on Xbox, but not if it means my game kills itself.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

How about the 1024x720 internal resolution? Any chance that can be sharpened up a bit?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
It might be possible, but it could also depend on some other factors. Dark Souls will more than likely be able to be changed around using something like the nVidia control panel, which'll let you force AA or what have you, but I don't know how GFWL will interact with that, and I don't know how it may affect the overall FPS in the game until we've got it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

How about the 1024x720 internal resolution? Any chance that can be sharpened up a bit?
Are you talking about modding or what? Who knows what that would even do to multiplayer anyway. I hope people aren't thinking of modding the game and just playing it offline the whole time, that's missing a big chunk of the fun.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you talking about modding or what? Who knows what that would even do to multiplayer anyway. I hope people aren't thinking of modding the game and just playing it offline the whole time, that's missing a big chunk of the fun.

If someone mods the suck out of Tomb of the Giants then so be it.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

That's the internal resolution, btw. The output resolution is customizable and hopefully it'll run well in a window. But because it's the internal resolution, increasing it won't be quite as easy as if it were locked at it's base resolution.

Also, it uses the Phyre engine, developed by Sony as a multi-platform engine which works on PS3/PSP/Vita/PC and... 360? No idea why Sony would make an engine compatible with the 360, but there you go.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

Best fan-made trailer :smug: http://youtu.be/kVpD9Cps2Mg

Seriously, that sums up everything that's awesome in the game.

I was so ready to be all "Nope, the Bart trailer is still the best" and then they spliced in that battle cry from Siegmeyer. Siggy :allears:

Khobra
Jul 26, 2006

Bwahaha!
Is there an easy way to hook up a PS3 controller for the PC version?

Orv
May 4, 2011
:siren: I'm going to go ahead and put a thread-wide moratorium on any spoilers until 9/1/2012 or next Saturday. This a bit more police state than I'd like to be, but I want to keep to it clean for new players.

I should clarify that spoilers and help are different things. Boss names and locations, anything that could ruin the "experience" ("Hahah, X is going to kill you so hard!") and anything crazily specific are out.

"Hey, go back and look where you just were", you can beat [common area mob] with [strategy], build help, or helping utterly flummoxed people is fine.

I ask that you keep boss and boss fight question to the other thread for the time being. I'll see if we want a DLC spoilers embargo once we know what level/progress you access the DLC at.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Khobra posted:

Is there an easy way to hook up a PS3 controller for the PC version?
Wired, relatively yeah (though still far from officially supported). Wireless is a complete pain in the rear end and involves custom bluetooth drivers from the darkest China that make all your other bluetooth devices not work, at least a year ago or so when I last tried it. Much better to get a 360 controller.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 23, 2012

MrEltee
Jun 11, 2011

"President Reagan!
Gorbachev has actually...
registered Hypercam 2!!"
MotionInJoy (what you should look for if you wanna use PS3 wired) works much better than before, and the drivers are actually signed now if you have a 64 bit Windows.. so it should work out pretty easily. Just look MotionInJoy up

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Another way to get the PS3 controller feel is to get a Logitech controller, or to buy a PS2-to-USB adapter and use a wired PS2 controller if you have one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

Another way to get the PS3 controller feel is to get a Logitech controller, or to buy a PS2-to-USB adapter and use a wired PS2 controller if you have one.
Yeah, this is better as well. There's a 360 controller emulator that I forget the name of that I used before I started using a proper 360 controller that I remember being completely problem-free.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah I use a PS2 controller with an adapter as my PC gamepad, works really well. Since it has the same amount of buttons it should be fine. I wonder how the sixaxis gestures are going to work on pc though?

Orv
May 4, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I use a PS2 controller with an adapter as my PC gamepad, works really well. Since it has the same amount of buttons it should be fine. I wonder how the sixaxis gestures are going to work on pc though?

Not at all, I assume. It'll probably just be a mouse or arrow key menu opened with G or something.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

First you hit the select button, then you use the D-pad to select which one you want to execute, then you hit X. As far as I'm aware, the PC version is more than likely based on 360 version coding, so it probably will not have sixaxis support at all.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

The Sixaxis gestures are so awkward to use compared to just selecting the gesture that I'm sure you won't miss them at all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Onionbro is the greatest bro of all. That was awesome.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
If you haven't played this game before, absolutely do not read anything about this game. Play through blind and experiment until you get it right. Savor that first playthrough, because part of the magic is lost when you know what's going on.

E: this is one of my top 3 games of all time. Do not sleep on it if you are at all interested

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 23, 2012

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Reviewers can't seem to say enough nice things aobut these games; probably because they are all shills.
On the other hand, people who aren't trying to make a living in the industry are also trying to mail their firstborn to the devs in thanks...
Ok. I'm sold.
This is the first Steam game I'm pay full price for in a long time.
I'll take your advice and keep clear of the thread till I've had some experience with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

Moto42 posted:

Reviewers can't seem to say enough nice things aobut these games; probably because they are all shills.
On the other hand, people who aren't trying to make a living in the industry are also trying to mail their firstborn to the devs in thanks...
Ok. I'm sold.
This is the first Steam game I'm pay full price for in a long time.
I'll take your advice and keep clear of the thread till I've had some experience with it.

Go buy it on greenmangaming.com, use the code DERHE-RRDER-RINGE, get 20% off. It's steamworks, and they're a legit site, no risks.

And hopefully everyone that ordered there will get our drat keys sometime very soon. :argh:

• Locked thread