Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
srb
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, they may be sent out once the date ticks over to the 24th, or when the game unlocks on Steam in 13 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Much like a joystick is recommended for DCS A-10, a gamepad is recommended for Dark Souls. I might test out the keyboard and mouse controls as a novelty, but I am going to play it with my gamepad, much like how I play sports games with my gamepad.

For some people this is a giant issue, and I just don't understand.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Just installed and made a new thief, played around in the nvidia settings and the game looks fine. No issues yet, although they STILL haven't fixed the text for the Tiny Being's Ring in the gift selection, and the corpse by the firelink appears to give 3 humanity? Oh well, this is fun.

Edit: Curious lack of bloodstains in the New Londo ruins Firekeeper soul spot, I guess people are boning or running instead of taking the death taxi.

srb fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 24, 2012

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Used 3 of the 4 cracked red eye orbs now, gotten some scumbag who killed the Undead Merchant, and then a host + phantom pair who just ran onto the firebomb bridge in the burg.

No glitching or anything, just a standard thief with a 100% physical shield, giving some new people the Dark Souls experience.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Game is running like a dream on my four year old quadcore and GTX 260. Much smoother experience than on my 360. Not sure what to tell you :(.

Just had a riveting ten minute fight in the burg with some guy, I ran up and bled and backstabbed him a couple times when he drank a flask, but for the most part I tried to just get in a hit here and there. He wasn't aggressive enough, I've been two-handing my knife or estoc a lot just to get people to be a bit more aggressive, but nope. :(

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Class just determines starting level, stat layout and gear. You can get any starting gear or weapon later in the game, and there's no limit to how you can level up that's dependant upon your class.

Ultra greatswords are fun, but there's a lot of good dex weapons and dex meshes fine with Pyromancy. Go for what you think looks fun, but remember that HP, Stamina and equip load, and thus movement, are the big things to look out for.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Bottomless Box, bonfire inventory management. BB glitching refers to a dupe and transfer method where you could get stuff from one character to another via the bottomless box, so you could load up a new character with lightning weapons, fully upgraded pyro flames, upgraded armour, and red eye orbs/humanities/divine blessings.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

This, along with the other BB glitch, which allowed you to have infinite of an item as long as you had 99 or 999 +1. So let's say you had 99 humanities ground out, get one more, and boom, you can have infinite forever as long as you maintained that balance. This allowed people to BB glitch their inventories to new characters, and then as soon as they had access to a single item that they had 99 of - such as humanity, which you get in the Asylum - they will have access to infinite of that item.

Yeah, it kind of ruined PVP on the consoles I think.

Would it break the spoiler rules to tell people how to get some invasions going quickly? Because I think everyone should experience low level PVP and invading before too long.

Washow, game runs perfectly on my computer and it's not top of the line at all. Playing with a 360 pad and having no input lag issues or anything like that either. No crashes or freezes yet. Could connect to other players just fine to invade.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I just got backstabbed by Havel the Rock while I was backstabbing him. Somehow my phantom ended up backstabbing him once the animation swapped places.

DARK SOULS

srb
Jul 24, 2007

havenwaters posted:

I've had plenty of weird issues so far while helping people. This is mainly with sorcery using allies.

The person who summoned you uses Soul arrow. It looks like the magic is going above the enemy and no damage numbers are shown. However, the health bar for the enemy is slowly going down. It's weird. Never happened in the console.

I'm not sure how what happened to me actually happened though, but it was pretty funny.

srb fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 24, 2012

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I think they upped drop rates from crystal lizards and black knights, I got a titanite chunk from the first knight (shouldn't it be shard? been a while since I killed him on console) and got 2 twinkling + 2 chunks from first lizard.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Sankis posted:

Anyone else having connectivity issues? Is this just dark souls/GFWL bullshit, do I need to unblock ports or something, or is it just because it's 3 am and people like "I AM DESTROY" are probably not also american.

What happening is that phantoms will connect only to be pinged out within a few moments, sometimes just not summoning at all.

Edit: What a good early dex weapon? Is the dragon tail sword dex?

I've managed to connect to summon phantoms and to invade, so it's probably a thing with your setup or those specific people.

That weapon doesn't scale at all.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Attention Horse posted:

Can anyone with a Geforce 560 confirm that the game is running well?

It's running well with my Geforce GTX 260, so a 560 should murder it.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Will I screw myself over/incur a shitload of grinding if I invest my souls in a suboptimal way? I'm near the beginning of the game and attempting to beat the second boss, so I'm beefing up my stats(he kills me pretty fast and I can't dodge much).

By the way, running the game on a modest machine(radeon HD 6870 and an athlon II X4 processor) and the framerate is fine. I've noticed teensy hitches here and there. Not using the resolution fix just yet. It's clearly not a great or even good port but I find it very playable so far.

The upcoming bosses and mobs will start to drop a lot of souls, and many people will probably be looking for phantoms to help them out. You should be fine, just be wary of beefing up your levels too much, but souls exist to be spent: Buy some titanite shards, upgrade some equipment, buy some arrows and firebombs and miscellaneous items.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
So I've stopped invading people for now and am instead co-opping, backstabbing black knights, pointing out the crystal lizard and helping people with the boss.

Some hosts die in the most hilarious ways. I love new players.

I even got to defend a host from an invasion, from someone I invaded earlier! DARK SOULS

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Neither does "4800 series", they are pretty old now and if it's a low end one like a 4830 I'm not surprised, since that would probably actually have less performance than a Geforce 8800 despite being newer.

Runs fine with my GTX 260, maybe it's just an ATI driver issue. As always.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Omnides posted:

Where do you get the thing that lets you write stuff? I'm all the way in to the darkroot garden and I still haven't found it.

Also the moonlight butterfly is tearing me a new rear end in a top hat, it's so bad I'm wondering if I didn't take a wrong turn somewhere.

Undead Merchant, in the burg. He's before the first bonfire, down a set of stairs hidden by some crates.

Equip a high magic defence shield, dodge dodge, hit the head when it lands. Or shoot it whenever with MAGIC!

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Mooks posted:

Is it true that sorcery was nerfed?

Can't vouch for the big ones, but Soul Arrow oneshots regular hollows in the burg at least!

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, as it turns out I already had defeated the boss of the Depths before getting a rematch with Kirk. Anyways, that's the Depths sorted. I'm not sure where to go next, though. All I can think of is the CATACOMBS OF NEVERENDING GHOSTS, and that doesn't seem quite right for progression.

There are actually, two, bells of awakening. One up, one down. There is a door in the Depths.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Attention Horse posted:

Do we have a Steam Group for all the PC Dark Souls Goons? I think we need one.

Game just finished downloading, I'm ready to play Dark Souls for the first time in my life.

Remember ancient Goon wisdom and you'll prevail;

Do you have stairs in your path?

Also, Drake Sword, pssht. rear end or Tin Banishment Catalyst!

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Additional Pinwheels only.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
No, it doesn't. I really wish there was a stats screen like in GTA. Number of deaths by falls, immolation, backstabs, ripostes, other players and so on would be fun to see.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

The game seems to like trolling stat mongers because the listed ARs seem to bear no relationship to actual damage

It doesn't take into account the defensive values of enemies.

Also, it feels as if they tweaked the AI of the red dragon. I couldn't melee him as I have always done as he just kept jumping onto the other end of the bridge and flaming me, over and over again, but wouldn't use claw stomps or other attacks. I had to abuse the safe spot to kill him instead of doing it in one session.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

redmercer posted:

Spoiler for the first half-hour wanted: Do I have to kill the Asylum Demon the second time I see it? When you go through the light onto the ledge?

Read the tip next to the door, do what it says, then stay on his rear end.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
For gargoyles, best bet is probably to place it just before the boar, so that people coming up from the sewers or coming from the bonfire will see it. Either that or the other path into the church. I saw like 9 summon signs clustered together there when I went through it earlier.

Also, 24 str bandit ready for some parish shenanigans. Be careful when going around corners, you never know what might come down.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Which is the best class for a beginner?

Pyromancer or Warrior. Warrior has solid starting equipment and a good weapon, Pyromancer has fireballs.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Kiggles posted:

what area? ash lake?

Anor Londo, I suppose, since you need a taxi. The rest you can just walk to from Firelink.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Blacktoll posted:

Ugh, the archers are Anor Londo have me too pissed off the play. Good night, thread.

I am glad this is the same, as I am awesome at the archers. Looking forward to helping people.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Yess, co-oping in lower burg right now on a character and I got to see my host get murdered with the hollow thief combo move as he ran ahead.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Enemies won't scale with you, just with areas (ie hollow soldiers in the parish have more defense than the ones in the burg). You can outlevel the optimal co-op range for areas if you want to summon or be summoned, but staying around 20-30 for most of the early game should be fine. There's other stuff to invest souls in, like upgrading equipment and buying spells.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Some people just end up with more souls or don't lose as many or invest them differently. I was about that level when I went there my first time because I found all of the sweet loot and then I wanted some more stamina and so on and so on. It's not that high, so don't worry about it.

As for what the early game is, I would consider it to be the lower burg and the next area after that. Midgame begins after that.

srb fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2012

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Okay, I just co-oped for the Moonlight Butterfly, and it acted... a bit out of character. All it did was shoot its big cannon at the tower above the entrance, refusing to targeting us as we shot it.

Weird.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I know that spoiler policy has been a biiiit lax for a few things, but come on man, spoiler that poo poo up there^^^^^.

Got the Swag Knight Armour and I'm off to do some more co-op later tonight, hopefully hitting Blighttown.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Yep, it's great. Not even the enemies are immune to doing the same stupid things that players sometimes do!

Down in the depths now, trying to get some summon action going but I'm probably overlevelled a bit since I went and did all my usual things in darkroot and etc and beefed up endurance quite a bit (I like rolling). Let's see if I get anything, if not I'll head on to the next area to try and help some people out. Maybe I should just hurry up to Anor Londo.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Been helping people in the Depths and killing slimes and rats while I'm waiting. It seems they nerfed those specific drop rates, anyone tried with the leeches in BT yet? Perhaps I just need to get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring to get anything out of these areas now.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

aegeryn posted:

:stare:

How about the direction the cutscene pointed instead, that sounds better.

A lot of people will claim they get little direction, but the game does point stuff like this out with cutscenes and dialogues. It's a rather nice touch.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Delmonos posted:

Whatever about the straight swords, what armor is that? One of the best looking sets I've seen.

Spoilered:

That is Ornstein's Armor and the Crown of Dusk. One is a boss armor available from Domnham of Zena depending on who died first in that boss fight, the other is a headgear item from the corpse of Dusk of Oolacile in the Darkroot Basin. Once she's been freed and then summoned, a corpse will appear where she was freed which will have her clothes.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Omnides posted:

Finally reached Sen's fortress and man does that thing look ominous.

Oh, just you wait.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Why would anyone use that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Orv posted:

So it looks like Forest has gone from the refuge of WoG spam to the playground of hackers. :smith: I really like Forest Cov, but it might not be worth doing on PC.

Try and get them off the edge. Not even health hackers are immune to fall deaths, it was the same on the 360, although not to the same degree because there were more players and it was more difficult to cheat.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks it's fun to cheat in a game like this, especially on the PVP side.

• Locked thread