Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Oh geez, the framerate issues had better be fixed.

Wow, an automatic disconnection if your framerate drops below 15... I am sure that will piss many people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah I use a PS2 controller with an adapter as my PC gamepad, works really well. Since it has the same amount of buttons it should be fine. I wonder how the sixaxis gestures are going to work on pc though?

The Sixaxis gestures are so awkward to use compared to just selecting the gesture that I'm sure you won't miss them at all.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Dreggon posted:

I don't know what this is :( But really, as long as they make an effort to make all the menus mouse-compatible and let us rebind keys/change options, I'll be happy.

I heard that full key rebinds are in, but I don't know about cursors in menus. I really do recommend a gamepad for this game, though.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

iuvian posted:

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

The game's technical graphics are poo poo (and have been since Demon's Souls) but this is honest to god one of the best games ever, and they never set expectations higher than "this is a direct port of the console experience". The art in the game is pretty great once you get used to how the game looks. Even on PS3 at 1080p it looked exactly the same, and everyone praised it as a masterpiece.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

boxinglemur posted:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41330816&postcount=686

So uh, some dude just fixed the internal resolution lock.

Is the internal renderer really at that res? Looks like it was upscaled to me. No AA would look much more jagged, and the smoothing looks uneven as though it was on a different res.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Holy poo poo, this game really does look a lot better with that resolution fix. Now I just need it to reliably detect my PS3 controller (I keep having to change the MotionInJoy settings around while in game for it to detect) and I'll be set.

Got a Balder Side Sword right in the Parish. Saved me from having to farm it in Sen's. The game feels kinda different with a lighter weapon. I can't just run in two handed and two shot almost everything.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Abalieno posted:

Anyone knows some game areas that stresses performance and that is near the beginning of the game? I know about Blighttown, but that seems quite far into the game.

The game seems to run fine, only dropping a couple of frames when entering new rooms and then going smooth again, but I want to know if it's gonna stay that way or it's because the starting areas don't have many enemies/effects going on.

Honestly, my game has chugged in Undead Burg more than any other place I've been to so far. I think they made some big optimizations to Blighttown as it ran perfectly fine. New Londo Ruins was the other sore spot on the PS3, and it's right next to the start. I only hopped in it to grab a fire keeper soul but it seemed okay...?

ivantod posted:

- Eagle Shield nerfed (now only blocks 95% physical damage thus making it pretty much useless in my opinion).

Seriously? :laffo: Goes from best shield to worst shield. Glad I stuck with the heater shield for this playthrough (only because I didn't have the Str for Eagle Shield).

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Nahxela posted:

Eh, I wouldn't necessarily say it's the worst. If it retains its solid stability and relatively light weight, it's still a pretty solid shield. While 95% isn't a full block, it's still pretty hefty. A lot of people run around with the Grass Crest Shield because of the Stamina Regen and not so terrible stability even in spite of it not having a full 100% Physical Block.

Admittedly the eagle shield almost trivialized the game because you can block literally every physical attack when you upgrade its stability, so maybe it's not an entirely bad change.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, most people with i7s are reporting that. Could the difference between an i5 and an i7 possibly gently caress things up? Also, have you played the Witcher 2, GTA4, or Saint's Row 3? Those are three games that don't run well on my laptop and I wondered if they ran well on yours, for reference.

I have an i7 Sandy Bridge, and the game occasionally chugs (mostly in undead burg). I attribute that to my Radeon HD 6950 amd the game being a console port, though.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

So the Drake sword wrecks poo poo, but I feel like you need tons of repair powders as the durability degrades rapidly. Is this intended?

Avoid the lovely heavy attack where you shoot that wave of force from your sword. It takes a lot of durability every time you use it, and it's a bad move in general.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Niggurath posted:

It kinda gives me the illusion that they actually made some changes to it. But I was mostly just hoping they would have maybe given the option to play with a friend whose the same level; I mean they got rid of the janky world tendencies, why not improve on the co-op? I get enough immersion playing with myself, but in a co-op game I'd like to co-op with who I want to.

I thought they made easy coop matchmaking as well. However, once you get used to it with a friend over Skype it's really quite easy. Just drop your signs in out of the way areas.

People mentioned that summoning failed means that they cycled servers. This is not true as since 1.05 (console patch) everyone is on one server. Usually someone else summoned them first, they removed their sign before you tried to summon them, or there's some network connectivity issue between you and them. I've noticed that summoning in general is a lot faster.

If the Capra Demon is giving you issues, buy the heater shield and spear from the undead merchant and upgrade them. You can easily dispatch the dogs with them, and the capra demon by himself is incredibly slow and leaves himself wide open all the time. Also, summon someone. People leave their signs right outside the door I was farming some humanity from him last night, but the area is outside my level range now.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Which is the best class for a beginner?

I'll chime in with pyro as well. They get fireball, a pretty decent starting weapon, and good vit/end. Pyromancy is a good soul sink when you don't want to outlevel the area, and it's not affected by any stats so you can literally build the character however you want. Str, faith, dex, int...

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I know people want others to go Dark Soulsing blind, and thats kind of what I'm doing now, but I'm wondering if there are any weapons people can point me in the direction of, so I have side stuff to try and accomplish while I do wander around like an idiot.

I'm just wondering if there are any good Spears/1Handed Swords I can get my hands on in the earlier stages of the game that are any good. Not game breakingly good like the Drake Tail thing seems to be, just something that I can feel good about putting my upgrades onto, without having to throw it away half an hour later.

I'd normally look at the wiki, but I'd probably just end up finding some stupid sword that will break the game and make all encounters easy until NG+ like the Drakes Tail sounds like it is, which is not at all what I want. I want Dark Souls to stay evil.

Spears are pretty good for PvE. For small swords, get the Balder Side Sword. It's the only one I don't hate, and it's not stupidly strong. You might be farming it for a while though...

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

cat doter posted:

Awesome screenshots

That's funny because in the PS3 version the chainmail armor always looked like some kind of weird fish scale armor, but the texture really does look like chainmail!

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Hot drat, this looks EXCELLENT with DSFix and ATI's forced AA/AF.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I'm sure everyone's rushing for the DLC, but I saw this little bugger in Crystal Cave and don't remember seeing it before. It shot some weak projectiles at me and dropped a humanity.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Megalixir posted:

It's a Vagrant, google it.

Wow... Never seen one before. Now I'm remembering when before the game came out they were talking about dropping items would spawn mobs, but at the time I thought it was like strong mobs... then when I never saw anything I thought it was just never implemented.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

DLC Spoilers:

Wow, the Guardian to the DLC area is brutal. I had to give it a few tries even in my upper 60s. Never figured out how to dodge that gigantic ball of electricity. After clearing him, I put my sign down and helped some guy beat the boss after that. Some bird helmet guy? He is loving BADASS. Is that Artorias?

Someone invaded while I was helping this guy clear out some tough brutes. I just threw a crystal soul spear and took him clean out, 750 damage. After getting poo poo on in PvP on PS3 it's nice to get some payback.

melon man posted:

Anybody mind helping me out with Ornstein & Smough? I'm lvl 62, which is really high for summoning. :(

Do you still need help? I'm in your range.

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 25, 2012

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Could anyone help me out with Artorias? I'm SL 70 and no one is dropping their drat sign.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

SixtySix posted:

ill do it, gimme three minutes

GT is AaarghMyKDRatio

I'm in the Steam Group's chat, by the way.

Edit: poo poo, finally found someone do to it, sorry

Stele007 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 25, 2012

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Crystal hollow archer arrows can curve up to about 45 degrees from the angle that they were fired from, and those archers can at times fire from angles that are completely impossible for their animation - such as sideways out of the bow when you try to dodge them. They respawn, and they have high armor because they're mostly crystallized. Their arrows do a decent chunk of damage, and even better, there's almost always a channeler nearby who raises their attack power by something like 2 or 3 times.

I thought you were talking about Anor Londo. The archers are nothing compared to the channelers themselves since they deal a shitton more damage, and you can't block 100% of it

Concerning the DLC, I killed Manas but I haven't made any progress on the area with the dragon. Flash sweat, fire resistance... I immediately die to his fire regardless. Is there supposed to be a way to take him out?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

What is a good counter against people with katanas? They just relentlessly attack to build up bleed, and my balder side sword doesn't do enough to stagger them. It's really not worth it to try to trade blows. I'd try parrying but... I really don't feel good enough to do that reliably.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Forgedbow posted:

So did everybody join the Forest Hunters or what? Within seconds of entering the forest as a human I am constantly beset by phantoms, one right after the other. It's pretty fun actually, I just wish I had more humanities for when I lose.

I sure did. Having fun with the new DLC spells.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Are Katanas dex swords? If I'm mainly str I guess I'm stuck to huge 2handers? Are some of those bigger ones like the demon maul hammer and stone guardian sword worth using? I need more str for those though...

What's the formula anyways for being able to use weapons 2handed?

Yes, katanas are dex. For Str I recommend that black knight greataxe. It has good range, is fast for its size, and scales well with strength. It was my first character's main weapon on the PS3.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

VisAbsoluta posted:

For people saying it's a good port in the last few pages because they can run it in 9000x6700, I dunno. I have a reasonable setup (HD5770, Phenom II X4 955BE, 4GB of DDR3) and I have very unstable FPS with the lovely graphics of the default resolution (not using Durante's fix) in 1600x900, which is very annoying. Lots of people with the same trouble too, mostly in AMD cards. I created a profile for the game yesterday and the little I played after seemed improved, although it could be a placebo effect.

So, while I think it's a decent port with no issues outside of performance and I'm glad I didn't have to spend the U$90 a PS3 game costs here to play Dark Souls, it's nowhere near a good port -- it's terrible in comparison to something like the PC version of Alan Wake, for instance, which truly is an excellent work.

Did you try the game with the resolution fix? Because my game runs noticeably smoother with it on than with no fix at all.

Also, I don't think anyone disagrees that this is not a "good" PC port since it doesn't take advantage of PC features and controls, but with a gamepad it recreates the console experience with higher fidelity (with the fix) of, in my opinion, one of the best games of all time. My only major problem with it is that I'm having a much harder time summoning/getting summoned on the PC.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Kiggles posted:

What are your system specs?

i7 2600k
Radeon HD 6950
8GB memory, don't remember the clock speed

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I give up on multiplayer for this game. I've tried everything... forwarding ports... enabling uPnP... trying a VPN with my friend... I just can't summon a person that I want. 9/10 invasions fail against me (I see fog go up but no one ever invades). The fog ring works maybe once an hour. It's just lovely lovely lovely networking. I never, ever had this problem on Demon's Souls, and PS3 Dark Souls worked fine after that big patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

This happened to me right after I kill orn, but not smough. I thought the game glitched and thought orn was still alive or something.

Is there any way to leave painted world without completing it? I found out this place has toxic and I have no blooming moss clumps. Trying to get through it with toxic would be annoying.

If you haven't rested at the bonfire yet, you could kill yourself. Otherwise, no. The boss is optional, though.

• Locked thread