Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Is, is that a cosplayer? I hope if anyone cosplays as a DS character someone runs up, jams something into their back, then kicks them to the floor. Just to give them that :darksouls: experience.

Cosplay bashing aside. That is a pretty nifty photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Dreggon posted:

It would probably be a more accurate cosplay if the guy himself was on fire while three other people teabagged his corpse.

Anyway - as a not-rich person who doesn't own a console, I've never played this, but managed to get a copy in my Steam inventory. I was wondering if anybody could tell me a couple of technical details about the multiplayer (assuming it hasn't changed). I don't have ports open, so I was wondering if multiplayer (invasions or otherwise) is hosted on your machine/console or on a game server. Being in Australia means that I'd have an excessive ping trying to connect to an American datacenter (which, considering the game, would not end well), but if the singleplayer worlds are also hosted on said American datacenter, that's a whole other problem (I hate singleplayer games needing to be connected to the internet).

Well for the consoles the host (invaded) is the server. The game does feature an offline mode (again console) so I'm sure no internet will be required once you are up and running. This is assuming GFLW (or whatever) isn't a complete pain in the rear end that demands internet.

biggfoo posted:

I think that's from the guy who wanted to do a live action Dark Souls movie/show and was part of the proof of concept trailer.

I had talked to someone about a movie idea being kinda cool. Although I always pondered how they would portray it. I would hope the protagonist would get his teeth kicked in on certain boss fights and respawn at a bonfire. Though the dialogue would be kinda limited. Would the protagonist have a voice?

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Agreed posted:

Any idea what kind of cheat protections they've got in place? Seems like a really drastically game-able system, but if Sony made the engine, hell, they've got in some poo poo for sticking rootkits on music CDs in the past, I'd be interested to hear what's keeping PC users from doing whatever they want. If it's GFWL, is it also Steam VAC enabled? Can that even be a thing?

I hope it's better than the console cheat safeguards. For fucks sake, hackers on consoles are real douche bags.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Namco/Bandai asked (told) FROM to make a PC port after getting tons of petitions in for a PC version of the game. I love it because they always use the word "version" when they should say "port".

Saw an interview with some head marketing guy from NB talking about how Namco asked (told) FROM to make this happen.

From most accounts it kinda sounds like if Namco wasn't forcing the issue, FROM wouldn't of made it at all.

I'm also confused as to how you can see trailers, gameplay, and screenshots for PC/console version on 1080p 42" Tvs and even conceive the idea that the graphics will look bad on whatever size monitor you play on. Maybe I'm not supposed to get it. Maybe my eyesight just sucks that bad.

It is really bad...

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Shanty posted:

On the other hand, first person controls are generally a lot easier with a mouse, so maybe Darkroot is going to become some kind of sniper's delight. People rolling hidden body and chameleon crawling all over the forest, taking each other out with Pharis' Bow.

"This... is the end..."

Only thing holding you back would be the decreased movement when in "first person mode". It seems like movement speed is decreased. Might just be a zoomed in thing.

Dongue Quixote posted:

What kind of gamepad is best for Dark Souls? I searched around to see if there was a recommended one, and I couldn't find any info.

A lot of people claim PS3 feels more natural. Being a 360 gamer mostly, I'm happy with my 360 controller.

e: removed bullshit.

VVV - I have to agree. :colbert:

Unbeknowsnt fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 23, 2012

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Part of me believes that Namco/Bandai saw the request for the PC version and starting thinking about money. How they could get as much as they can.

"We have a DLC for consoles coming out this winter. We need to release the PC version before that happens. That way people will buy the game, maybe even twice, just for the new stuff. FROM, make it happen. You have a couple months."

I don't know how long they had for this port. I'm guessing it wasn't very long.

I would say that blame should be put more towards Namco/Bandai than FROM.

e: On a side note. Do you think Namco/Bandai and FROM could of hired a third party to make the port? Maybe one with PC experience?

Unbeknowsnt fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 23, 2012

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Barudak posted:

FROM was pretty open about them not having much PC experience and that they were going to do whatever it took to get the game running console quality on the PC. Hell the reason from GFWL is that its the same multiplayer system as Xbox Live which they already worked with. Additionally, its thought that the reason the game remains locked resolution/frames is because most attacks/abilities use frame counts for timing since thats possible on a console.

In knowing this you would think outsourcing the PC port to a more knowledgeable company would of been worthwhile.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
For those pondering on builds for this game.

Faith builds are amazingly fun. Faith is damaging as gently caress. Divine weapons can get very strong, not to mention the Darkmoon Blade enchant/Sunlight Blade.

Pyromancy is broken. Plain and simple. It will carry you through the game as it has 0 stat requirements. Firestorm, Great Combustion, Fire Orbs, and Fire Whip all do insane damage. And Pyro gets insane because it gets stronger through weapon upgrades.

Sorcery is the glass canon type. Although it doesn't have to be. And mixing INT with a melee stat (str/dex) can have some insane damage results. Example: Crystal Magic Weapon with 35-40 INT and a rapier at 40 Dex. You'll do 1k+ on a backstab easily. Although with the nerfs to sorcery this might not be as good as before.

A few spoilery tactics for those who want them now.

The Dusk Crown and Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring works for Pyromancy and Sorcery. I'm don't believe it works with Miracles. Although Miracles do have a ring all to themselves.

e: Oh, by the way. Melee is always viable. ALWAYS.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Dark Souls will absolutely not recognize my controller even with x360ce. Any advice?

What controller. And if all else fails. Use joy2key.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Has anyone tried the BB new character glitch yet? I'm interested to know if that one still works, since the other one's been fixed as near as I can tell.

BB glitch and item dupe glitch are both gone.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

sicarius posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I got the Drake Sword... which felt like cheating... so I took it off.

Just cleared the Chapel in Parish with a little bit of luck. The bigass mace knight was a pain until I realized he was literally the slowest thing ever. Firebombs took care of the weird cleric dude and his mass of Hollow buddies.

You are now ready for Dark Souls proper. You did the big thing. You stopped using the Drake Sword. :hfive:

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

sicarius posted:

It's mostly the fact that it took enemies I was having to actually fight and parry and made me kill them in one hit. It's not really that anyone else cares, it's that I care the game became silly easy because of a little secret about chopping off a dragon's tail with 30+ arrows.

The issue with the Drake Sword is that players tend to rely on it way to much. I know that when I see someone coming at me with a Drake Sword it's an easy kill. That easy feeling the Drake Sword gives disappears almost as quickly as you get it. As areyoucontagious mentioned.

Actually I'd love to see someone do a Drake Sword PVP gimmick and own everyone via chain backstabs/pro play.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Vertigus posted:

Is it really an issue? It's obvious when the Drake Sword stops working so well in comparison with other weapons, so it's not like someone will press on with it.

I guess PvP might be another story.

I know that while invading in Blightown 80% of the people I played against used it. I could just stand there and let them attack me with almost no damage taken. I can't help but message these people saying they need to switch up weapons.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
I've been fighting the desire to look up stuff about the PtD edition.

I've learned about the Sword of the Abyss. Pretty bad rear end. Is there anything else worth mentioning? I saw a knight using two daggers, are those obtainable? I've read about some new spells. Though I'm more interested in new weapons and the Wiki I normally check doesn't seem to have updated.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

misterdoo01 posted:

I just beat the Capra Demon and have been farming souls off the NPCs in the forest. I'm intending to go to the depths next. I was aware of the ring which increased item drop rates, I didn't know I could get it this soon.

After Blightown. You aren't able to get it right now. You have a couple more hours. Depending on Sen's.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Picked up the PC version after all. Took me a minute to figure out where I had to go for the new content. Although, I'm a little pissed off Dusk is gone and I can't buy her spells.

Just got done killing Artorias. On my first try!! V :) V That fight was awesome. His enrage is kinda scary. Three flip attacks? Sure, I'll be rolling away like crazy now thanks. I died once to the Sanctuary Guardian then downed him. Also, that forest is rough for me. Those Stone Giants don't go down easily.

Now, I just have to make the sword. However I do that.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Is Manus the last boss?

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

So, I went into the DLC area for the first time, expecting a real scrap...

I one-shot the first two bosses.

Then I died 6 times to simple caster mobs.

:darksouls:

Those caster mobs do a gently caress ton of damage. I find it crazy that I beat the Sanctuary Guardian in 2 tries and Artorias in 1. I would of killed Manus in 1 try but I was barely hit by the tip of his hand as I took a drink. I never got the heal. Haven't gone back.

I feel lost. I fought my way through a lot of the areas but haven't found Gough, or anyone else for that matter. Where should I look? I became pretty disoriented exploring the forest.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Alabaster White posted:

Can anyone think of a good build around using a Longsword? I found out it's basically my favorite weapon in the game but I can't figure out a way to bring its damage up to competitive levels with other stuff.

I recommend getting the Barbed Sword from Kirk. Just encounter him in Depths, Demon Ruins, and Lost Izalith with 10 Humanity and one of those encounters should net you the sword. It might not be overly powerful on damage, but the bleed effect makes up for that.

Another good way to up your damage on something like a long/straight sword is to use weapon buffs. Get the sword to +15 and make sure you pump some points into the stat it scales with. B or higher scaling warrants the stat being pumped up. Then choose Faith or Intelligence and go with Darkmoon Blade/Sunlight Blade or Crystal Magic Weapon.

Use Resins until you acquire the spells. You can also turn them into Fire/Lightning/Divine/Occult weapons. This will give a secondary stat that scales to the weapon.
Fire and Lightning doesn't have scaling, but they have a good overall damage usually. Fire and Lightning will only be beaten out by DB/SB and CMW if FTH and INT are pumped enough.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
gently caress the Black Dragon. He sucks dick. :colbert:

E: loving double post. I did this wrong.

Unbeknowsnt fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 5, 2012

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Illegal Username posted:

Yeah but i would have liked a weapon that does not loving kill me when i use it

edit: And it seems the giant blacksmith can't upgrade my poo poo from 5+ to 10+ so i need to trek back to Andre to get myself a worthwile weapon and DARK SOULS

The damage the blade does to you isn't that much. I've never had an issue using it and it is my favorite weapon for a dex character. Chaos Blade +5 destroys. It is also great to use in PVP.

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009

Gazaar posted:

And I do, on my secondary. If I can't kill someone before that timer runs out because the invadee is playing hyper defensive it's occult time baby.

Also I can't use my +5 grant without grossly overleveling into the 100's so I just sigh wistfully every time I see it in my box.

Or you could get a better payoff overall and just use a Chaos weapon instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbeknowsnt
Jul 12, 2009
Made a valkyrie type character. Brass armor, silver knight sword, And a sanctus shield. Sunlight blade and lay waste to players all over. Sanctus is a pretty nifty shield. At least it was. Going up against Manus with that shield is a death sentence. guess I'm to drat stubbron to use a better shield.

Anyone done a no shield style attempt of Manus? If so, what were your major GET THE gently caress OUT warnings besides all of them?

e: Fat fingering a microsoft chat pad for typos galore!

• Locked thread