Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

quote:

Minimum system requirements

CPU: AMD(R) Phenom II X2 545 3,0 Ghz
Intel(R) Pentium Core(TM) 2 Duo E6850 3,0 Ghz
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 9800 GTX+
ATI Radeon(TM) HD 4870
DirectX: DirectX(R) 9.0c
Hard Disk: At least 8.0GB of free space
Sound: Any sound card that supports at least DirectX 9.0c
Network: Internet connection required for the initial license activation and online play

Recommended system requirements

CPU: Intel(R) i5 750 2.66 Ghz / AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0 Ghz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX series or higher video card
ATI Radeon(TM) HD Series 6X or higher video card
Hard Disk: At least 8.0GB of free space
Sound: Any sound card that supports at least DirectX 9.0c
Network: Internet connection required for the initial license activation and online play

System Requirements taken from the games readme.

Final install size is 3.6GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Sometimes hackers are the best thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1m3thNn9Ig

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Genocyber posted:

When making items with boss souls, does the equipment item you use affect the creation? For example, I want to create the furysword, does the specific curved sword change its stats? Would using a +15 painted sword over a +10 have an affect?

Not in the slightest.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ViggyNash posted:

Hopefully you weren't human with 32k souls. One of the painting guardian's bodies pushed my char off the rafters. Not fun.

Side question, tips on killing Lautrec if you sequence broke? I'm now in Anor Londo and I can invade him, but his buddies always mess me up. Plus shields are useless and im capping my SL at 20, so I have terrible endurance. My friend suggested charging in with a Zweihander +10 but I don't have one and don't have to souls to buy the titanite to upgrade it. I do however have a +6 Claymore and a +10 Halberd.

I just did this at SL25 and I ran around till I could get someone alone then back stabbed them or whilst backing away down the stairs I would use the Uchigatana's R2 attack which would cause Lautrec to dodge roll but his buddies would block him from being able to roll back far enough to avoid the damage.
It took awhile but I managed to murder all 3 of them.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

NeurosisHead posted:

Poor guy is cursed :(

e: nevermind, he just had low health and I wasn't watching very closely

He was cursed but he went and brought some Purging stones.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
If you guys like Dark Souls themed Christmas songs then check out Geops LP thread right now.

It all starts here.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

http://gematsu.com/2012/12/dark-souls-iis-keyword-is-time posted:

Famitsu this week has a three-page interview feature on Dark Souls II.

As previously detailed, Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of the first Dark Souls, will oversee development of Dark Souls II, but not direct it. He believes Dark Souls has great potential, and that it should not be imprisoned in a narrow frame.

Tomohiro Shibuya is one of Dark Souls II‘s directors. Miyazaki said he would leave Dark Souls II to Shibuya as much as possible.

Dark Souls II will have the same world view as the first game, but the story won’t directly be tied to the original. The first game could be the North Pole, for example, while the second game is the South Pole. Dark Souls II is set in a different time period.

Here are some other bits:
    * Weapon and item download content are unlikely.
    * The debut trailer was not in-game.
    * The keyword is “time.”
    * The game engine is changed. From Software is aiming for near-realistic representation and improved movement.
    * The team is investigating direct involvement between mutual players.

So if anyone knows Japanese could you kindly translate the interview.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
A bunch of people are reporting that this patch fixed sound issues with the game, mainly the ambience.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Is anyone else's indictments not working?

Tried to indict two invaders (not blue Dark Moon spirits either) and it didn't do anything I still have the Indictments in my inventory.

VVVV Well that's stupid, especially since I brought a whole bunch of 'em.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 22, 2012

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Throckwoddle posted:

Has anybody else been unable to play since the patch? I've tried both removing DSFix completely and using the current (2.0 and 2.0.1) versions and either way my FPS tanks until the game eventually boots me back to the title screen for having too low of a frame rate.

I don't use DSFix at all and my FPS has been perfectly fine since the patch.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Just met a nice Japanese player who invaded and killed me in the archives twice, then dropped a summon sign to help me out.

Cheers to Elys Vampire.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Skilleddk posted:

I tried updating and nothing. My characters skin is still off and they fall through the ground :(

Faulty graphics drivers?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Dragonwagon posted:

Oh, OK. I have quite the opposite problem. The game stresses my system, Blighttown and the forest areas can get really bad.

Anyone knows a good way to enhance performance? I already turned off SSAO and AA, even motion blur. Lowered the resolution. Still not enough.

Try not using DSFix?
My FPS was lowered using DSFix even with AA SSAO, etc all turned off.

I will however retry it now after this patch.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Justice Sloth posted:

Ok so I created all the dll's the help menu told me to and it still isn't working. Does this just not function with ps3 controllers?

Are you using MotionInJoy?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Justice Sloth posted:

I was using the one provided in the first post, but now I'm using MotionInJoy, yes. Which when I click install all is giving me the error:

ERROR:Failed to add catalog file for 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\mijxinput.inf_amd64_neutral_ec64ca8602e49209\MijXinput.inf'.. Error code:0X2

I am using the correct bit version.

Running as admin?
http://www.motioninjoy.com/wiki/en/install/latest

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Nahxela posted:

Crossposting from the Console thread:

If you guys like watching Dark Souls speedruns, you should watch this video.

That's the same guy who did the 1hour speedrun.
His NicoNicoDouga (Like YT but Japanese, you'll have to register an account to be able to view videos) page is here.

The original video looks like it might have some extra comments by Kago on it but I can't read Japanese to know what it's saying.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

euphronius posted:

Does anyone have any idea how to change button assignments on x360ce using a Logitech dual action gamepad. I have successful gotten DS (I had to use one of the optional .dlls) to recognize the gamepad, but I need to change the button assignments around.

The game is recognizing the right stick button as 12 and the start button as 10 and I need to reverse them in a major way.

Does Dark Souls not recognise the buttons by default?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Vlaphor posted:

Ok, tried the Target Shield suggestion, seems to work better. Managed to get three ripostes in (looks like it'll take four to kill Gwyn), but then I run into the same problems as before. I'll get backed up against a wall, or run out of poise and get staggered, or have a problem with an action queuing up and resulting in me doing that instead of what I needed to do.

I do think I can beat him this way, but it's getting really irritating when I do the long walk there each time I die...only to die within three attacks of him. The ratio is about 2 minutes to walk there, 10 seconds to die. Usually I get hit by the first flying leap and that just snowballs to my death (sometimes even when I use the rock structure to the left of entering). I think I just need to back away for awhile.

It's all about the rocks, stay behind them circling and bait out his grab attack when you need to heal as that seemed to have a long enough downtime and the rocks oft stopped him from hitting me when I Estus'd a bit late.

I think I also used the recovery time from his grab attack to damage him.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Positronic Spleen posted:

Does this game only recognize the official XBox 360 controller? I got a Logitech F310 recently and the game doesn't recognize it in Xinput mode, although other games do. I have to use X360CE to make it work, which in turn made me realize that I apparently played through the game several times with a fair deal of input lag from my other, dying controller.

redmercer posted:

That's the exact same controller I use. Make sure the switch on the back is set to D, and the LED is off.

I also use a F310 and Dark Souls picked it up perfectly fine as a 360 controller in Xinput mode.
I just plugged it in and it worked, well you have to plug it in before you open DS otherwise it wont recognise it.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Faffel posted:

Why is there a picture of a man in this message? Why did 111 people + rate 'Magic'?

I know dev messages have different icons but I do not remember ever seeing that one.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Poniard posted:

I've rolled with this build for a dex/int character.

http://mmdks.com/lt4

I've been playing through with this as my current build.

http://mmdks.com/lv6

Great fun.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Note: 999 standard arrows + Longbow+0 with 14dex is only enough to take Mannus to about half HP.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Onion Rings posted:

So, I'm thinking of getting this with my editor's choice coupon on Amazon. I bought the original Demon's Souls but only played it for like 10 minutes for various reasons and never really got into it. Is playing the original one required or is dark souls just a straight up better game all around and I should leap into it hardcore and never look back?

Leap in, the games have no story connection and it's considered that Dark Souls is easier for beginners.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Captain No-mates posted:

Is there any way to evade the boulder in Sen's Fortress after the first Fog Door? It seems to one shot me no matter what I do. Should I pump vitality, go for heavy armour to tank it or light armour to outrun it. This is pretty annoying...

Go up not down, running away from the boulders usually means it will deal damage twice run at it and it'll only hit you once which will let you survive even with 8 vitality wearing crappy robes.

By the way, touching the boulders in any way will damage you even if they're stopped or you run into it from behind.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Imagine Blighttown crossed with Tomb of the Giants. An enemy type harder than the skeleton hounds, no light, no rolling in the swamp, no ring to save you, and not even a poison meter to tell you when you're going to get poisoned. This is Valley of Defilement.

:demonssouls:

gently caress those big trolls, I goddamn hate them.

I need to get a new PS3 and play through again.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The days after a steam sale is open season for any low level darkwraiths. Think of all the easy targets.

Been creating level 1 chars and picking up Winged/Zwei/Grass Crest + whatever the knight drops and the firekeeper souls in parish & newlondo and invading newbies and dropping them gifts.

All but 1 guy who didn't seem to know what I was kept attacking me even after I dropped items and kept running away.

Oh and Andre's Hammer.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Haha it seriously tells you to go to New Londo? That's the most :darksouls: thing.

IIRC that was the only place where you could get uncursed in release DaS.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Ryuga Death posted:

I suppose you're right.

Is it that my CPU isn't good enough? I know particles are usually handled by CPU stuffs and not GPU stuff.

Nope, my system is much worse and the game runs quite alright for me.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Hellburger99 posted:

I gave up on the last two DLC bosses because I really just wanted to finish my first game and try something new. I'll come back to NG+ someday, but my roommate just bought the game and I really want to invade do some jolly co-op with him. What sort of character should I try next? My first one started as a knight, but I pretty much just put points in whatever seemed good at the time and wound up mostly using a spear and shield. Now I'm torn between a pyromancer and something that specializes in ranged combat. Are bows/crossbows viable for general combat, or at they better left to situation use?

Bows are best left for long range combat and when you need to pull 1 enemy from a pack/far away.
Most people would suggest Pyromancer but I would also say Sorcerer just because I like 'em.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Lemonpieman posted:

Woops. I hosed up and died immediately after I killed the broken pendant golem. I didn't pick up the broken pendant and he's not dropping it again. Am I hosed?

Killing the Golem should auto put the pendant into your inventory you dont have to pick it up.

Check your key items.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

FrickenMoron posted:

Having half HP is the default setting in Demon's so it's no big deal in Dark Souls either. :colbert:

Also Oswald in the Parish sells the uncurse stones for 3k which is a lot cheaper.

I got cursed in the great hollow and didn't bother healing it and finished that and completed Dukes + Crystal Caves before healing my curse.
This was on my Zwei/Dragon Greatsword char and it wasn't as much of a hindrance as you would expect.

I also played Demon Souls without the ring that give you more HP in soul form as it was a waste of a valuable ring slot.
I also never raised my vit above 8 till NG+4. Second Chance miracle was over powered.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

i am tim! posted:

Is there a good save editor for this game, and do I at all run the risk of getting in any trouble for using one? I want to port the dude I had on the PS3 over and figured that's about the only option I have.

Cheat Engine.
Table here a few posts down.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Redeadagain posted:

Anyone willing to help me out on Sif? I could use some co-op.

Just get all up their crotch & they can't do anything.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Redeadagain posted:

Well that was an interesting couple of hours.

Went from not being able to beat Sif (thanks for the crotch-hug advice, it worked), to stressing about those loving tower archers (eventually ran up there and let dumbass dig his own grave by being dumb and falling off the tower), to beating Orenstein and Smough on the first try! (Patience was the key there)

Nice.
I was feeling a little bad about not going and dropping a sign at Sif for you and only giving advice but I'm happy to see things worked out quite well for you.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Sindai posted:

I had a similar problem when I bought the game. I was giving it the right username and password (they worked on the Live website) but it insisted they were wrong.

What fixed it was deleting GFWL's data from my user folder. Apparently there are a ton of different versions of GFWL tht ship with different games and they can gently caress the shared data up for each other if you're unlucky. The folder you need to clear should be something like C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

AppData is hidden by default so if you can't see it make sure explorer is set to show hidden folders.

Or Win+r and type %appdata% don't need hidden folders set to show.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Speaking of the Undead Asylum if you pull Oscar down toward the bonfire and sit at it he wont reset back to his little room and will keep coming at you.
His health refills however.

Oh, there was another page.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Brackhar posted:

There's actually a reasonably good shortcut that will skip most of the catacombs. It'll require some tricky falling though near the first bridge.

I believe he means for getting back out.
I made it all the way down to the orange fog door on my first character and getting out was ugh.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

A human heart posted:

A generic brand one with a 360 layout. I did download a driver specifically for it but it didn't change anything. I bought it because it was cheap, but it looks like I may have to buy a proper 360 one. :sigh: It works ok in other games too.

Logitech's F3 series controllers work as they are for Dark Souls and the cheapest one is cheap too.

Are you opening Dark Souls after you have plugged in your controller?
Plugging it in after starting Dark Souls does not work for me so maybe.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm doing the Catacombs right now and to be honest the biggest asset is probably a bow since you can kill two necros with it.

By the way, do they respawn?

Nope, they stay dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

thehumandignity posted:

Yeah I am not interested in min/maxing my character to infinity +1, I just want to be a cool ninja and kill everything with finesse and style even if I die horribly a million times first (Because let's face it, I will anyway). I am aware that using claws or really any kind of fist weapon is probably the single least ideal way to play the game but that is part of the appeal.

Also thanks for the help. I'm sure the directions will come in handy once I actually start the game and have some clue as to what any of those things are.

I'm pretty sure the claws cannot parry as well.

• Locked thread