Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I don't know how computers work, so could someone tell me if my PC is fine? I checked canyourunit but it only shows the minimum requirements. Here's what it says:

CPU
Minimum: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
You Have: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor

CPU Speed
Minimum: Info
You Have: 3.0 GHz

RAM
Minimum: 1 GB (XP), 2 GB (Vista/7)
You Have: 4.1 GB

OS
Minimum: Windows XP , Windows Vista, Windows 7, or newer
You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 (build 6001), 64-bit

Video Card
Minimum: ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
You Have: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: AMD High Definition Audio Device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Unbeknowsnt posted:

In knowing this you would think outsourcing the PC port to a more knowledgeable company would of been worthwhile.

I think it's good that they're getting some experience with PC developing. Now that they know they have a PC market as well they'll know to make a PC version of whatever comes next right away.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Some guys should go get the summoning soapstone to help some of us get through New Londo quickly. I don't believe I can beat the Four Kings at such a low level.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

I'm kind of an old school gamer and I don't mind dying all the time forever. Am I better off going into this game blind or do I need to read up on stuff? How do I get maximum enjoyment out of this fine computer video game?

Read up on how levels work(levelling up too quickly will make it so that you cannot summon a lot of people) and what stats affect what(intelligence does not affect your pryomancy damage). These are things that are never really explained and aren't even really apparent either. Just do NOT read too much about tactics, armor or weapons and where to find them and so on.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So is the port decent or not? The console version thread says it's poo poo, but I thought I'd ask directly. I'm not looking for anything more than what the console version offers.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm not getting summoned, and I can't see any ghosts or notes. What the hell is going on?

I'm logged in and I can at least use my white soapstone.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Okay, I fixed the multiplayer problem, but now I noticed that my parry button (L2) also moves my camera to the left. Changing it in game doesn't do anything, and I can't figure out what to change in motioninjoy. Any help?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I've got 30 000 souls, and am aiming to get about 100 000 in the next couple of hours doing the Iron Golem. What can I do with them? I'm Strength/Faith based and level 40. I'm using a Divine Zweihander and am aiming to only use heavy weapons that scale with my Faith. I know I could level myself up a bit but I don't want to level too quickly while I'm still Sunbroing. So hey, what the hell do I spend it on?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Shanty posted:

Upgrade your armour/shield? You can get large shards from the steel armour guy in the tower in Sen's, if you're missing those. Are you loaded up on attunement/miracles?

I've only got Force. I don't know where to get any other offensive or otherwise useful ones.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Dark Souls really isn't about creating a "character" though. I mean yeah, you're going to build your dude a certain way be it melee or magic or whatever but it's not like an MMO where you're concerned about how your dude looks or dressing him up in specific clothes ala Skyrim. It's generally about survivability and overcoming different environments and enemies based on what you have on hand so switching our armor for different scenarios makes sense.

Once you get into NG+ and gimmick builds then you can set your dude up in wacky outfits and try to beat the whole game that way.

If you can't roleplay, you don't know how to have fun.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So I installed Dark Souls from the disc, outside of Steam here at home and am planning to make a new character on a laptop, with Dark Souls installed on steam. Is GFWL going to get fussy if I do this? Is there any kind of online save synching and if not will I be able to grab my save files from one computer and still be able to play it on the other one, despite it not being on steam?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
So apparently running Dark Souls on my much more advanced laptop gives me a one digit frame rate. Even my 3 year old computer runs it much better, so what gives? My graphic card is GEFORCE GT 540M, and I have an i7 processor.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
What's a good lvl 70 pvp Darkwraith build that uses dex weapons(dagger/scythe/uchigatana for bosses) and is it possible to make a viable build that also uses sorceries?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

You gain access to the best miracles after Tomb of the Giants, unless you screw up the sequence.

Another good miracle can be had by joining the Darkmoons, or by killing their boss.

But that requires a ring that's in the Catacombs, hidden away from you. Which is the area before Tomb of the Giants.

There's also the Gravelord Sword Dance, which is pretty neat.

That's deep in the Catacombs.

Basically, you're going to have to go skeleton hunting and cave diving.

Well, not entirely true. There's also Lightning Spear. You remember that drake on the bridge? Gotta get past him.

Speaking of which, why can't I use that darkmoon miracle(the one after killing Gwyndolin) on my divine zweihander?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Captain Flame Guy posted:

You can generally only apply buffs on normal (+15) weapons.

Oh.

Well, what weapon should I get that's similar to the zweihander but has a different moveset? I'd like an extra weapon to resort to if I want to buff it with lightning.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

You're too late to have the Red Orb do you much good any way. You'll want to take out the 4 Kings at starting soul level if you want to be a real Dark Wraith.

How the hell do you do that? I understand the logistics, but I can't imagine beating Sif with that low level a character.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Does anyone else get really angry whenever someone uses the 'well what is it' expression after they kill you? It infuriates me, but I don't mind at all when they bow or do something else that's at least halfways respectful. Jesus, this game.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Eh. You have to admit that a lot of the pvp covenants feel horribly tacked on in execution. The way gravelord and dragon covenant were handled seem especially baffling to me. PVP itself has always been broken in a variety of ways, and my first thought for darksouls pvp is "lagstabs". It might not be an afterthought, but it's not really a selling point.

That's not really a design flaw though, it's to do with the way the network's been programmed. At least you can farm Eye of Deaths and get enough dragon scales to at least level up a bit in normal offline mode.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Balobam posted:

I'm pretty sure good ole Brolaire makes it through without losing all mental faculties, excluding the Sunlight Maggot. Still not 100% on why finding his personal sun drives him mad, whereas the dulling realisation that it's unattainable keeps him going.

He got so insane he put a goddamn bug on his head.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Wasn't there going to be a new Covenant in the DLC? How did that go?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Considering making my first run on the PC version of the game to be a Legend of Zelda run... following progression, of course.

1. Forest
2. Lava
3. Water
4. Shadow
5. Midpoint
6. Ruins
7. Ice
8. Spirit

(Alternatively:

1. Darkroot Garden (Includes Sif)
2. Demon Ruins through Ceaseless Discharge + gathering collectibles
3. New Londo Ruins
4. Catacombs
5. Anor Londo
6. Lost Izalith
7. Duke's Archive
8. Tomb of Giants

Then the Kiln.)

All done in a recolored/textured Leather Armor, "Hylian" Tower Kite Shield, wielding and Astora's Straight Sword.

At one point, changing it to a retextured Mirror Shield as the Grass Crest and wielding the Claymore. BIGGORON

Upload it and email everything to Nintendo.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Akuma posted:

A weirdly rotating tree! That's what tipped me off.

In my experience they don't always move, and they tend to blend in the background.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I had a guy invade me in Anor Londo with a stickfigure body and no head at all, and he was shield handing the skull lantern and mainhanding a hatchet.

His name was "HEADLESS HORSEMAN"

Sometimes hackers can be fun as heck. :colbert:

If this sort of thing is the trade-off for allowing hackers to ruin some battles, then it's worth it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
I'm LVL 20 and desperately need help against Sif. I just can't get the hang of of that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You don't need to kill her until much later(unless you're doing a not-quite-low SL run or something) so I suggest you just wait and come back another time.

I was aiming for a Darkwraith with a character build I wasn't used to. However, it turns out I'm much better at this game than I thought and I managed to kill her the second time around.

NeilPerry fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 24, 2012

• Locked thread