Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Firstly, this is the best DS trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsrNWNc2VCA

Secondly, I thought the point of splitting the threads was so that we could talk spoilers here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orv posted:

The other thread is pretty much no holds barred for spoilers now, so I was under the impression this was for avoiding spoilers (or at least recreating that early first couple weeks of Dark Souls release) and avoiding YCS style bullshit.

Oh see I had it backwards. I thought that the console people that have to wait a few months for the DLC didn't want to be spoiled by us talking about it, hence this thread. Its fine either way, everyone is usually good about using tags.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dreggon posted:

It would probably be a more accurate cosplay if the guy himself was on fire while three other people teabagged his corpse.

Anyway - as a not-rich person who doesn't own a console, I've never played this, but managed to get a copy in my Steam inventory. I was wondering if anybody could tell me a couple of technical details about the multiplayer (assuming it hasn't changed). I don't have ports open, so I was wondering if multiplayer (invasions or otherwise) is hosted on your machine/console or on a game server. Being in Australia means that I'd have an excessive ping trying to connect to an American datacenter (which, considering the game, would not end well), but if the singleplayer worlds are also hosted on said American datacenter, that's a whole other problem (I hate singleplayer games needing to be connected to the internet).

If it works like the console versions then the multiplayer will use a peer to peer connection. Your "world" is hosted on your own machine, so there won't be lag during singleplayer, but being that it uses GFWL you may need to be connected to the internet to access savefiles (don't quote me on this, not all that familiar with GFWL).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

iuvian posted:

Man I was expecting it to look bad, but this is actually worse than I could have ever imagined. This might actually be the worst port since Resident Evil 4, where they forgot to include the lighting engine. Can't believe they want $40 for this poo poo.

:lol: are you doing an impression of a typical PC gamer or are you serious?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Terminally Bored posted:

I've been waiting to play this on the PC since I saw the reviews of the console versions. I just got my key from GMG, gotta wait till midnight.

So I have few questions:
- how does the game hold up in terms of replayability?
- is there any missable content/alternate paths?
- is there a new game+?
- is this "naked guy with a club" class (I've been reading the manual) basically a DS version of the tourist from Nethack?

-It has a vast amount of replayability.
-There are lots of secrets and hidden stuff but nothing is permanently missable due to the nature of NG+.
-There is NG+
-Starting classes don't really matter that much in DS, but it does start with no equipment and very spread out stats so you could say that its kind of the challenge class.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So like, is anyone gonna post how to change the resolution? If its done that quickly I can't imagine its very complicated.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nebelwerfer posted:

I think the dude just posted to haggle the glory himself and will post detailed how-to later on. :kiddo:

loving neogaf...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Lysandus posted:

The neogaf dude released his resolution fix.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240

Actually he just made the thread where he'll eventually post his resolution fix. Donation link is up though!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I can't believe people are circle jerking around him so much, when he hasn't even released the fix yet and is already panhandling for donations. Someone else is going to find the same thing within minutes of the game's proper release.

Durante does what FROM don't.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paradoxish posted:

It's especially weird since his screenshots still don't really look right. In fact, they look like exactly what I'd expect to see if the game was actually rendering to a lower resolution framebuffer and then upscaling to whatever. But since he's not posting actual comparison shots it's incredibly difficult to tell whether there's any actual improvement over what the game is doing anyway.

Original:

DSfix:

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

So the game has been pirated already (lucky bastards) and word on the street is that its a bare-boned port as expected, Blight town seems to be in the same low fps it was before, and there are a few bugs here and there. I took away my pre-order based on what I heard and will be waiting a few days before I bother buying it, even if its only 40 bucks.

I literally just now watched a video that showed consistent fps in Blighttown.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Really? I don't know, man, I wouldn't be surprised if it depended incredibly from system to system, as it happens with most shoddy ports, and I had trust-worthy people tell me it ran bad for them.

Here's the vid, believe what you will.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Steam stop jerking me around :argh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SixtySix posted:

oh my god is it really gonna unlock in an hour :f5:

Should be more like 15 minutes now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Attention Horse posted:

Nope, still an hour and 15 minutes left. That's how the steam unlock clock works.

What... the... but... Steam you fickle bitch.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Question about MotionInJoy since I'm sure a lot of people here will be using it. Should I use the "emulate 360 controller" option? Will the game just automatically detect it as such? Looking for the easiest way to use my PS3 controller.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Thank you all for the MotionInJoy advice. I'm ready to die now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So is there known framerate issues with AMD cards? Got an HD 6900 and I'm definitely not getting a consistent 30fps.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Welp 4 cracked red eye orbs, 4 successful invasions. :getin: noobs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So much freakin' co-op going on right now. Just getting non stopped summoned for gargoyles and I even got what I think was my first Moonlight Butterfly summon ever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kiggles posted:

So I am vaguely aware of how 2h weapons works. First it basically multiplies your STR by 1.5, which can not only allow you to effectively meet base requirements at little early, but it also contributes to damage scaling. But does it also add any sort of damage bonus aside from the bonus strength? If so, what is the math? I have always been fuzzy on that part.

In addition to those bonuses, two-handed attacks simply do about 1/3 more damage than one-handed attacks.

E: Gonna change that to 1/3. I'm basing this one the Blighttown enemies I was just fighting. A base Drake Sword does exactly 100 damage one-handed. A two-handed attack does 134.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 24, 2012

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I didn't get a helm from the gargoyles :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm psyched the resolution patch has progressed. Gonna try it out when I get home.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

mcvey posted:

Just jumping into this game for the first time, totally overwhelmed of course.

Can someone explain kindling bonfires?

You use one humanity (from the counter in the top left) to kindle one specific bonfire, increasing the number of flasks you can carry by 5 after using it. At first you can only kindle up to 10, but later you can increase it to 20.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Orv posted:

:siren: Look at that, we do now.

Dark Souls Steam Group

Currently public, and I'll leave it that way for at least a day, or just forever. If we need to close it I'll just hand out admin to whoever wants it for inviting.

Thanks Orv, joined.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nebelwerfer posted:

Wait, you can snipe it? I went balls first into the flames and cut it with my axe and slapped it's poo poo. :aaa:

Its ok, you did it the proper way :colbert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Al! posted:

What about one-handed? Is that something to aim for or by the time I hit 24 strength should I have something even better?

The zweihander is good forever but the thing is its most effective when 2-handed and 16 STR is a really nice stopping point. Unless you're planning on making a STR build I wouldn't boost it up to 24 just to 1-hand the zwei.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Rookersh posted:

Is there a Blacksmith or something in Burg/Parish I can use to start upgrading my weapons?

I can get past the Boar by the gate just fine, but those guys with the capes, and especially the guys in the churchlike building just do not take any damage from me with my starter zone weapon. I'm assuming I either need to buy another weapon, or start upgrading this one.

I have all these shards, just no idea how to use them.

Yea there's a blacksmith there. He's just past all the guys with the capes :twisted:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Anti-Hero posted:

So the Drake sword wrecks poo poo, but I feel like you need tons of repair powders as the durability degrades rapidly. Is this intended?

Are you using the 2handed R2 move a lot? It uses up a lot of durability each time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Give your left hand a break by rolling instead of blocking. Then switch back when your right hand gets tired.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GreatGreen posted:

So how did the quality of the port turn out?

Not too bad. The KB+M controls suck of course and it seems people are reporting some performance issues with ATI cards; but there's already a pretty decent resolution fix out and there were a lot of good balance changes not to mention the new content.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dongsweep posted:

What is this Xinput emulation mode? I have motionjoy and my choices are PS1 PS2 PS2 PS3 and Xbox 360 modes?

Choose "emulate Xbox 360 controller" and it'll work perfectly.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AxeManiac posted:

So, I loaded this up and tried playing through the intro area, it looks like Tomb Raider 1. This game is loving ugly and awkward. How long does it take to get to the cool stuff? I'm just walking around smacking skeletons and traversing white light.

The voice acting is horrible too, is it tongue in cheek? Is it supposed to be corny?

Dude... the voice acting owns.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

I'm not sure where I'd put all the points if I leveled up to 120. Right now I have 40 in dex and about 25 in endurance, vitality, and intelligence for crystal magic weapon and a decent health pool and weight cap, as well as 14 strength and attunement and everything else at the minimum starting as a wanderer. If I leveled to 120 I would have all the magic I want, a high dex stat and about as much health and weight capacity as a build focused on them.

Pretty much any build wants 40 END. That's when stamina gains cap off and you'll want that equip weight boost too. Most people opt for around 40-50 VIT but its not as important outside PvP. Its nice to have a big ol' health pool for NG+ though. Essentially 120 builds are assuming 50 VIT, 40 END and 40+ into whatever your main stat is.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mr Teatime posted:

I think im possibly missing something here, but I have a couple of questions regarding resistances. When I equip the gargoyle axe the status bars appear on the screen and decrease, I guess representing the new extended length of the bars. This I am getting, but when I equip the gargoyle hat, I see in my status screen that its giving me increased poison resist because the numbers go up but equiping it doesn't make the bars appear like the axe does. Thirdly, I have the spider shield which claims in its description to raise poison resistance but when I equip it neither the resistance stat goes up nor does the bar appear. Can somebody explain what the heck is going on?

Further question, does poison resistance actually mean a drat thing for dealing with blighttown, because to be honest I think the gargoyle axe looks like rear end because its way too big for a one hander and it just looks silly. Id rather not use it anymore but if it helps then I guess I have to for now.
The gargoyle tail axe is unique in that it actually "hits" you with a bit of those status effects when you equip it. That's why you see the bars pop up.

Poison resist in Blighttown helps in that you have an extra couple seconds when dashing from island to island in the swamp without getting poisoned and having to waste a purple moss.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Moto42 posted:

Great game, but OH GOD is the lock-on targeting broken. If there's more than one enemy anywhere nearby is spazzes out switching around randomly.
Is there any way to stop this? I get the feeling that this game would be a lot easier if I could aim properly.

Are you moving the right stick? Moving it left or right switches targets otherwise it shouldn't switch unless the enemy you're targeting dies or goes out of range.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dane cook torrent posted:

Does this game seem easier for anyone else that played it on consoles? I'm hitting for so much damage in the beginning... looked through the OP and either missed something or it's not there

I don't think so. There are a bunch of balance changes but they all involve nerfing damage (sorcerys and lightning weapons).

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Huh, I actually learned something on reddit for once. How about that.

You can rate messages without using the orange soapstone. While you are viewing the message, hit your gesture button. Have done a lot of playing without knowing that.

That was actually a change in the 1.05 patch. At release you definitely needed the stone to interact with messages.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

swamp waste posted:

I found out who the NPC phantom is for Manus :monar: That's cool

Yo can you spoil me just about where I can find the summon sign? I'm having trouble with Manus solo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AlternatePFG posted:

It's in the boss room, near the center of the room, if you completed the pre-requisite sidequest.

I don't think I did the sidequest :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AlternatePFG posted:

You know by that big group of humanity ghosts shortly after the bonfire? There's a walkway on the left of them that let's you bypass them. Use it, and instead of going right when it forks, go left and you should run into something familiar.

Oh awesome I was afraid it was back in the woods or something. Thanks.

• Locked thread