Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

With the 1024*720 resolution thing people were talking about, how does the game draw on a monitor with a different aspect ratio? The optimal resolution of my monitor is 1680*1050, but that's a 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the 16:9 aspect ratio the game wants. Would it mean the graphics get slightly vertically stretched, or do I get some black bars on the top/bottom of my screen to make it fit better?

Actually does the game support a windowed mode so I can just run it in a 1024*720 window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I've managed to kill the Taurus Demon, and just kicked down the ladder leading to the bonfire near that undead merchant. I bought a heater shield off of him and the key he had for sale, is any of the other equipment he sells worth using? I started off as a pyromancer, and currently weapons wise I'm lugging around my starting axe, a regular old longsword dropped by one of those hollow warriors, as well as an estoc and a winged spear in case that makes any difference.

I haven't really invested my souls into any stat boosts yet either.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

havenwaters posted:

The male merchant sells the orange soapstone that lets you leave messages. He also is the only unlimited source for Llyod's Talsiman. They stop people from using estus flasks if you hit them with it.
Sorry, should have been more clear. I was mostly wondering if any of the other weapons/armor he sells are worth using, the other stuff he sells I'll pick up eventually.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

darkgray posted:

Alright, so apparently I'm retarded, or perhaps just the system itself.

I decided to change my GFWL gamertag from its default random gibberish, and now all my saves are gone. I had 30 hours played and would like to get them back, pretty please.

Changing my name back isn't an option, since the rear end faggots at MS demand monies for it.
Saves are found in Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\Profile Name, try copying the contents of your old profile's folder to the new one to see if that gets your saves back.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I was doing some exploratory weeding after making some pork chops but before going to church, and came across a black knight halberd and a stone greatshield. Both look pretty powerful without upgrades, but they're also both quite heavy and would need a large strength investment on my part to be properly usable. Are either of those particularly worth the investment?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I can see why people told me the Black Knight Halberd was worth the stat investment, that's one heck of a weapon now I can use it. Bloody fast so long as you don't whiff, and tons of damage. I used it two-handed for the Gaping Dragon fight since it didn't look like my shield would be useful there anyway, and I killed it in two minutes while playing it safe. And I even got enough souls for my :airquote:trouble:airquote: that I can wield it in one-hand now. :toot:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

JayTee posted:

I've tried tapping and holding LB and every other shoulder button but the dude insists on firing the crossbow without letting me aim -- what am i missing. I am holding it 2 handed.
You can't manually aim with crossbows, only with regular bows.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Does it work the same way for making backups? Lately I've been getting all :ohdear: of losing my progress, and also I like to format my PC regularly.
You can just make a copy of the files in Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\YourProfileNameHere if you want to make backups.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

If you're running DSFix, turn off anti-aliasing in the game's graphics options.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

TheRagamuffin posted:

If that's the case, that video makes it looks like even blocked hits count.
An East-West Shield is used in that video, which only has 88% physical damage reduction, so maybe it just triggers after 5 hits that cost you some health.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I have to sign in as a different user on my computer at the moment and my Dark Souls save data doesn't show up. I'm using the save live profile though. Is there any way to locate the save files and move them? I'd rather not have to start over...
By default the save files are in C:\Users\Your Windows User Name\My Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls\Your GfWL Profile name. So copying over the NBGI folder and its subfolders into the My Documents folder of your new windows user name should do the trick.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

It just figures that after fighting a giant wolf, two hydras and, most dangerously of all, a bunch of mushroom men I get crushed by a ball. :darksouls:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

After killing him you should have received the key to the depths, and there's an easily missed stairway leading further down attached to the walkway just outside his room.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So here's a question, what is so bad about the Knight Shield? Obviously it's not a great shield, but I just looked at the stats and it has higher stability than the heater shield, so why use the heater instead? If you don't find a black knight shield or a balder shield in the early game, and don't know about the dragon crest shield (or don't have a master key), then what do you use?
The shields sold by Andrei are basically better in every single way, and while it has slightly more stability than the heater shield it also weighs 3.5 more.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Krinkle posted:

haha there's nothing even back here. Is this where you fall if you dodge a boulder by big hat logan?
I think so, but those two are indeed purely there to gently caress with you unlike the other two in Sen's. They're stronger than the other two, you'll always get the attention of both of them at once, and you don't even get anything particularly special from fighting them.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I am the morning sun, here to vanquish this terrible night. :toot:

This is definitely one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I'm glad From made the effort to port it to PC so I could enjoy it. Now I just need to figure out what I'll be playing next, being the big slow muscled dude with a bigger weapon was fun enough already though.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Balder Side Sword is the king of swords.

Buy the bottomless box first. I made that mistake once and regretted it for a long time.
Domnhall sells the bottomless box as well if you haven't bought it from the undead merchant. He might stop selling it when he moves from his original location though, not sure.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Reminalt posted:

Nope, just upgrade your flame then you'll be good to go.
Just to add to this, Pyromancy does not scale with your stats at all.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dreggon posted:

I guess it is, but it's not that great. If Laurentius is from there but was exiled, it must be a pretty big community. Plus he's apparently never heard of Quelana, so I doubt the Blighttown swamp is his home.

Do kindled bonfires stay kindled in NG+? I have almost all of them to +20 but I should probably have confirmed it before visiting them all.
They all stay kindled, so enjoy having 20 estus everywhere.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Mimic checkers! A long enough weapon to pass through the chest and hit the wall or something like that.
But I guess that's more incidental than intentional.
I found it that way myself, not because I even knew about there being mimics at that point, but because someone had left a "Be wary of chest" message there so I poked it just in case. I should have probably been warier though, I ended up using the bonfire at Ash Lake, so I had to travel all the way up through the Great Hollow afterwards since I hadn't even killed Quelaag yet by that point.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

If it's meant to be that way I have no idea, but if you want a challenge if you play through the game again you should try cutting off his tail that time.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Equip no usable items other than your flasks and at least two homeward bones. Run in, slide down, bolt for the rightmost root and pulverize it. Bone out immediately. Hopefully you were at the bonfire behind the illusory wall because that one is about 45 seconds from the boss and you only have to fight one enemy. Even then, eh, you can run by. Repeat this but for the left root. Again, bone out. When you return, you need to slide down, wait for about 3 seconds for the fire to spurt out of the ground. Never get hit by that fire. If you take a few steps forward, he should attack with his orange scythe hands. Don't get hit. Should be easy to dodge, just stand between them. As soon as those are gone, check if he's going to sweep with his branch hands. If he is, let him do it, then move forward. Keep watching the branches and hold up your shield if he swipes at you. There's a specific spot you want to stand where you can roll directly onto the ramp without falling into the hole. I'm not sure how to describe it. There will be an extra brick or two bringing you closer to the ramp, and the ramp will be going toward you. Just roll onto it, don't jump. Then run directly up and slash wildly until you have reached the bug.
You can also just select quit game and then load your save, since it's a boss it'll put you outside the boss room. Saves you the run back and a homeward bone. :ssh:

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There haven't been any patches since the game was originally released, so yes you want to run DSFix.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Turn off AA in the game's graphics options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I thought the Darksign didn't leave a bloodstain?
It doesn't, any souls or humanity you have on you when you use the Darksign is permanently lost. You're better off jumping into a pit if you want to minimize your losses.

• Locked thread