Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

It's a pretty reasonable comparison

Not really, no. Different engine, different developers, different development targets in the first place.

W2 was built from the start with PC hardware in mind, while DaS was developed for way older hardware. Look at the X360 version of W2, compare two screenshots and see just how different it looks from the PC version while still looking amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Quick trip to Blighttown and no framerate issues. Smooth as silk.

It almost does not feel like Blighttown anymore. :unsmith:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Whats the deal with the goddamn capra demon? Room is tiny and you get swarmed by the dogs immediately and die.

If you have some Alluring Skulls, try throwing one on the ground right after you enter, then shield up. It should distract the dogs for a couple seconds, enough to give you room to reach the stairs.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress.

Just how loving much did they reduce the drop rate for the Balder Side Sword? I've been farming the knights, with 8 humanity, when I started I had 15k souls.

Now I have 85.000. And still no sword.

:negative:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I'm now convinced that this game is actively mocking me.

I've gathered up almost 100k souls just from farming the same 7 thrash mobs in the parish.
I'm swimming in Balder gear, I have 6 or 7 shields and enough armor sets for a loving army.

And still no loving sword.

It's starting to stink like Pure Bladestone.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

FINALLY.

Holy poo poo. I've had at least two of the loving things per character on the PS3 and suddenly it gets a drop rate of .fuckyou%

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I've got a weird graphical glitch in the forest area, if you turn the camera in a certain direction everything turns blue. I've made a short video of this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3k0ox90Ww.

I'm using DSfix v1.2, SMAA on 2, no SSAO, DoF: override 810, no scaling, blur 1.

Does this happen to anyone else?

EDIT: Confirm that it's related to DSfix since it doesn't occur without.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 12, 2012

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Holy poo poo Artorias :stare:

He's relentless, I can dodge him fairly well but I do so little damage that it turns into a battle of attrition and eventually I gently caress up.

My +14 Iaito, with 30 DEX, does 80 damage with a one handed strike, so I guess pure physical damage is out of the question. Is he particularly weak to something?

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

"A dragon high above the sky,
out of reach to the naked eye"

I love you too, From.

Please someone tell me that in the Japanese version this is a Haiku.

Edit: And Artorias is down. Holy hell what a beautifully tense battle.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 19, 2012

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

The Neal! posted:

There's a bonfire in Sen's?

:allears: I don't think I'll ever get tired of this.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

This happened to me too and I call bullshit on it. :colbert:

Also in regards to Anor Londo, does anyone else think that Anor Londo is one of the weaker area in terms of level design, just because it really doesn't feel like a city at all?

What I mean is: Boletaria in DeS felt plausible (the gates, the treck through the walls, the ramparts and the courtyards...), Undead Burg and Lower Burg feel plausible and so does Oolacile Township even though they're mostly all linear paths, yet Anor Londo, from the moment you get dropped on top of the wall tower, just feels like a videogame level.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

It might also be that they distinguish "human" and "not human" by what soul they bear, with humans bearing pieces of the Dark Soul and the rest bearing shards or fragments from the other Lord Souls.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

I never noticed before but...

Oh hello there.

And no, you can't poison him from up here. I tried, the poison takes, but goes away after one tick.

And then...

gently caress this guy is hard. Reminds me of Flamelurker.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 9, 2012

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Torquil posted:

Ugh I now hate Kalameet with every fiber of my being. Seven attempts to cut off his tail and all have met with failure. Everything else about him is pretty neat though.

Stay mid-long range and wait for when he charges at you flying, roll to the side to dodge, then approach him when you're behind him. If you are at the right distance he'll try to tail slam you, after which he keeps his tail on the ground long enough to get a couple hits in on it.

Either that or when he breathes fire at you while standing up on two legs.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

lechunnel posted:

Well I spent the first three hours played just running into the graveyard, grinding out a bunch of souls, then dying, over and over, because I'm an idiot. Occasionally I'd go down the elevator and feel sad when ghosts raped me with their gross extendable claws and I couldn't hurt them back. "Geez, the Japanese really like their games hard," I thought. After deciding I must be missing something important, I looked at one of the wikis and learned there was a staircase from Firelink Shrine leading to the Undead Burg. Oops.

I'll just leave this here as a psa for future people: talk to NPCs, until you're sure it's their last line of dialogue.

For example, if at the beginning you keep pestering the guy in chainmail sitting at Firelink, he'll eventually straight up tell you "go up the stairs and through the waterway".

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Ularg posted:

How do I super sample with DSFix? Like have a larger resolution scaled down to 1920x1080.

There's two sets of settings at the top of the .ini, renderWidth/Height and presentWidht/Height.

Set presentWidth/Height to your monitor's native resolution and renderWidth/Height to a higher one.

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Vitamins posted:

So what I'm gathering is that while the Drake Sword has a much higher base damage than another comparable weapon like a Longsword or Morning Star, because you can't contribute to it's stats thanks to your skills it'll get eclipsed by the other weapons as you gain levels and put points into requisite contributing skills. Is that correct?

Correct.

To add to this, in terms of damage output, upgrades to the weapon matter more than upgrades to your stats, meaning you will see more of an improvement by bringing a Long Sword from +0 to +5 than by dumping a bunch of points into STR or DEX.

Keep also in mind the different movesets: the Drake Sword, for example, shares the same moveset as the Broadsword.

Edit:
To elaborate on weapon upgrades: it takes one Shard to go from +0 to +1 and from +1 to +2; going +2->+3 and +3->+4 costs 2 Shards; going to +5 costs 3 (for a total of 9 Shards).
It repeats with Large Shards up to +10 and Chunks after that up to +14.
To reach +15 you have to consume a Slab, but those are limited/rare.

The OP has a link to an upgrades chart that also shows the different branching options you have for magical/elemental weapons.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 16, 2013

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

cat doter posted:

Doesn't Demon's Souls have a message specifically for being upvoted that does something? Like heals you or something? That could be where the confusion comes from.

"I'm in trouble! Please recommend this message!"

If anyone recommended any of your messages while you were playing then you'd get a full heal out of it.

E:

Jack Trades posted:

I'm stuck.
How the hell do you get past those two silver knights with greatbows? I can deal with the damage they're dealing, no problem, but they're knocking me down to the fall of death.
I tried stacking the maximum possible amount of poise with wolf rind, stone giant armor and a greatshield but it didn't do anything.

If you want to play it safe, get some poison arrows. Hit the one on the right 3-4 times and wait until the poison kills it. You can ignore the one on the left.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 30, 2014

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

laplace posted:

Does anyone ever descend into Blighttown the 'normal' way? Or was everyone smart enough to always choose the master key and skip that?

I don't think I've ever taken the intended path.

If you don't care about getting Power Within or the Eagle Shield, and if you know where you're going (e: Ok, granted, this might be a big 'if'), you can rush to the bottom bonfire in a couple of minutes.

Jumping to the platform with the Iaito gets you to the top bonfire really quickly. From there, just run and drop down.
Don't fight the brutes or the hollows: their attacks are easy to run by. The two dogs will likely jump attack at you, block those and run before they can spit fire.
Don't ride the ladders, just drop down to the lower platforms. In the vertical pipe section, don't go trough the fog, drop down to the lower planks as if you were going to get the whip, then drop to the opening.
Don't fight anything until you get to the fire bugs. You'll have to kill one or two because they can be wide enough to simply block your way. The only ladder you should really ride down is in this section, because the platform at the bottom is so narrow you'd most likely fall off.
Also, it's nice to have the Rusted Iron Ring for the last part, just so you don't get slowed down by the bog too much.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 6, 2014

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

And again, she misses the one actual illusory wall there is. It's driving me insane. :v:

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did she end up finding the entrance to the bonfire in catacombs?

Nope, walked right in front of it then went up the ladder to the bridge switch.

Edit: Well she found it this time! New Kay episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIuDdHHRXq0

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 12, 2014

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Can anyone give a spoiler-free review of how good/bad Dark Souls II is?

It's very reminiscing of Demon's Souls, both in area design and gameplay mechanics.

The interconnected central world of DaS I is gone; in it's place you have one central hub area with branching paths in several directions. There's some interconnections between some areas but it's mostly one area after another until you get to the big boss, then you go back.
E: Also, it's BIGGER. Like, a lot.

That doesn't mean that you have to explore everything linearly, mind you, and there are optional areas, some bigger some smaller. All the areas are generally well designed - there's no "Lost Izalith", so to speak.

Being able to warp from and to all bonfires from the beginning changes the pace a bit. Lighting a bonfire sets it as your spawn without needing to rest, so if you want to go back and explore, you can do so without respawning all the enemies (but you might be short of Estus and spell charges).

There's a lot of quality of life improvements, mostly in the interface and menu interactions: things like specifying the number of soul items you want to use instead of doing it one by one, keeping the menu open when you use items, the item box at bonfires actually separating your items from those you stored away...

Weapon customization is a lot closer to what it was in DeS than DaS I, but not the same. Reinforcement is separate from Infusion - you reinforce your weapon with Titanite shards/large shards/chunks/slab and then, separately, you can infuse a property into it (magic, fire, bleeding, poison...).

Honestly, I think it's a bit of the best of DeS and a bit of the best of DaS.

One criticism that can be made is that, while areas make sense within themselves, their positioning doesn't make sense when you think about it in relation to other areas. Personally, that doesn't bother me but some people have been very vocal about it.

Toiwat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

The King is dead, Long Live the King.

• Locked thread