Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

dreffen posted:

Pre-loading is apparently up right now for the game!

Am I remembering right that Steam will auto start the download for me, or do I have to wait till I get home and start it up manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

SixtySix posted:

You should be able to start the download with the Steam app or from a browser window

What I mean to say is I am not at my home computer at the moment and don't have access to it. My logged in Steam client at home won't start downloading the game automatically based on availability, will it?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

SixtySix posted:

No, but if you can access another computer to get to the Steam website or have a smartphone with the free Steam app, you can start the download now remotely to your home PC and it'll be ready for you.

This I can definitely do - thanks for the tip!

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
A bit disappointed I couldnt play properly last night, but after connecting an Xbox 360 controller, applying the resolution fix, I am happily chugging along, although I have no loving clue what I am doing yet. I got invaded for the first time about 20 minutes ago and got schooled. I sensed the dude was toying with me a bit, he realized I was a noob - I even unequipped my shield during the fight due to not having the controls down pat.

Soon.....

Anyhow, it's a great game and pretty much what I expected, which is a good thing. I am happy with it for sure.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

FrickenMoron posted:

Ugh, I needed like 5 tries for the Taurus demon. First time I fell to my death, the rest were general incompetence at dodging/pressing wrong keys etc. The interface is not the best really and takes some time to get used to, but I love the game very much so far!

This is where I decided to take a break last night. My strategy involved applying some lightning to my weapon and then dropping down on him quickly from the tower before he jumped up. It took off more than half of his health and I almost was able to do it a second time before he jumped up and smoked me.

Now I am out of the lightning buffs and have no idea what I am going to do. I guess I will need to learn his gimmicks

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Can you pause in the Console versions? I am thinking the answer is no - the entire design of the game seems to be focused on "you aren't safe, ever", and no pause adds to that. The other factor would be how to handle the ability to pause with multiplayer, which while addressable probably wasnt something they wanted to bother with.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Funkalicious posted:

So I am bit surprised by the fact that I am not getting invaded at all. I have been doing a lot of sunbro'ing, hoping to be invaded while I wait, but I don't think I have been invaded at all. I used up the early cracked orbs and had no problems finding people to invade. Come on, where are all of the Darkwraith twinks at?

Edit: I should probably mention that I am not hollow while I wait.

Are you "Way of the White"? Clerics and Knights get auto-enrolled at birth in that clique and it significantly reduces your chances of being invaded.

I rolled a Knight and have been invaded once - I got schooled, but whatever, it's my first time.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Leper Residue posted:

I like the not being able to pause. A giant monster isn't going to wait patiently by while you sort through your bags looking for that badass sword and some herbs.

He's gonna run up to you and kick you in the face.

It does rule, and is consistent with the design, but it is definitely a wake up call to the Skyrim set.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Pierson posted:

Suspected as much. This;

is probably my problem, but damned if I know what to do about it.

I had a similar issue last week. Un-Installing GFWL, downloading it from the MS website and then running Dark Souls seemed to fix it. Don't ask me why.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

scamtank posted:

Oh my gently caress I had no idea that stumbling the Iron Golem on the narrow walkway sends it tumbling down into the abyss and gives an instant victory. :allears:

I was able to get him off kilter today and the same thing happened. It was definitely time for the wave emote.

Just got past those loving archers in Anor Londo and feeling pretty good, which I am expecting to end when I figure out wherever the boss is.

I am always surprised at the little things they do in this game (at least on your first playthrough when you don't know wtf). This morning I figured I would get the very large ember to ascend my STR weapon above +10, but the Firelink Shrine firekeeper is dead and gently caress New Londo without at least that bonfire to help me first time through. I poked my head in there a few times at a much lower level and didn't enjoy it. I am lead to believe I can rectify that situation eventually, which makes going for +15 a real risk prior. Well done.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Had a great weekend with a little time to play DS finally. This is my first playthrough. I was banging my head up against a wall with O&S, so I backtracked and did a few areas I had not been to yet. Killed Pinwheel and Gaping Dragon on my first attempt (both pretty easy, I admit), then thought I would go try Sif for the 30th time and got him right away too.

Returned to Anor Londo in human form with a few more levels under my belt, cleared the area in front of the fog gate and summoned Solaire plus a really helpful dude. O&S were dead about 2 minutes later. It was awesome.

I really enjoy this game. Hopefully I can get it finished before the PC version of DS2 arrives. Seems probable.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

m.hache posted:

I still love the game but I think some of the ambiguity can be dealt away with while still maintaining the sense of accomplishment.
Doing something "detrimental" is usually only bad in the sense that you miss a min/max opportunity, which should not be the focus of a first time playthrough of Dark Souls anyhow. It certainly is not necessary to complete the game. The ambiguity is part of the mystery of the world.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

superh posted:

The devs have actually talked about their process a lot, and it's not a last minute change. Demon's Souls was very similar, (and so were, to an extent, the King's Field games.)

The director of Dark Souls has said that his goal is to recreate the feeling he had looking at western fantasy books as a child, without understanding the language. He wanted to create a sense of an elaborate connected world through snippets of actual information.

I didn't know this, and when I consider my experience with the story within that context, they seem to have achieved their goal. I often find/found myself wondering how things fit together, and while they draw some lines for you, many are there for you to wonder about yourself. I find the way they expose story is consistent with the way they expose the game and mechanics, which is not much.

Also Man Serpent Great Sword +15 is the best sword, assuming you got the pipes for it.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Token Cracker posted:

Never drink and game.

This is bad advice.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm trying but I'm so bad at it :negative: This feels really unfun. Either i try to block and get my stamina ruined, or try to parry and have roughly the same result.

If you want to practise the knights in Anor Londo use most of the same attack patterns as Gwyn I believe.

I was able to beat him without parry/riposte, it's just the easiest way to win, assuming you can do it reliably.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch
Does anyone who gets summoned by boss at the Mirror Knight actually live for more than a few seconds? I've been Sunbroing there for a while, and when someone gets called in they are pasted in seconds - I imagine it might be fun if you get called in to a situation where someone is solo fighting the boss. Otherwise it looks like a waste of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Vil posted:

Dark Souls 2 PC thread is over here.

I can't be the first...thanks.

• Locked thread