Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Apart from the HUD being slightly different scale than on consoles, it looks like it does on console. Motion and gameplay in the game is fluid, the resolution shouldn't have any impact on the game unless you're one of those people that can't play games that aren't pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Holy Cheese posted:

Pretty sure we are lucky to actually have it released on the PC. I don't want to sound like Phil Fish but a lot of Japanese developers and publishers are rather closed minded. There really is more to life than Monster Hunter on a Sony product.
A lot of it comes from the fact that they work pretty closely with Sony a lot of the time (for PS3 development, anyway), so a lot of their product ends up optimized specifically for consoles, with fairly deep ties internally that make it hard to change.

Also, I'd listen to Phil Fish more if he'd actually written a single line of code for Fez, and wasn't just some idealistic guy that doesn't understand the industry and lucked into a winner.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

dreffen posted:

Looks surprisingly fine! Who would've thought.
Actually looks great, I've got DS going on my PS3 right now and even streamed it looks the same if not better.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

voltron lion force posted:

Durante does what FROM don't.
It's great because all he's really done is replaced calls to some DirectX crap, namely IDirect3DDevice9::CreateRenderTarget.

It's probably one modified line of code in a template d3d9 intercept project from google, replacing the original 1024x720 dimensions with his full native res dimensions. That doesn't change that the rest of the game is still designed around an absolutely fixed resolution, so who knows what issues that may cause.

Edit; also I guess he'd need to change DepthStencilSurface the same way to not break things.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 23, 2012

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really hope I can run this game in a window. I run every game in a window anyhow and 720p isn't too terrible a size on a 1080p screen.
You definitely can.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

apophenium posted:

1920x1200 and yes.
Turn off antialiasing.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
If anyones interested, the resolution fix is pretty much these three lines of code: https://github.com/farces/DSResFix/blob/master/myIDirect3DDevice9.cpp#L166

I spent an hour or two trying to sort out the orange soapstone sign messages being invisible but it's a bit lovely, I think it's done manually assuming 1024x760 resolution and the stencil is out of whack and I just can't be assed with it.

Edit; fixed link

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Orv posted:

Ugh, I really don't want to play through the game each time for a new gimmick build. That's really unfortunate.
It's on PC, give it 24 hours and there will be a save game editor anyway.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Not quite, the game also has some weird reverse mouse acceleration thing. Fast movements turn the camera slowly, slow movements turn the camera quickly. That's the only thing preventing me from using KB+M in Dark Souls.
Mouse movement looks like it's just being captured and firing off "user moved analog stick" events, rather than actually being treated as a mouse to move the camera like any other game does. By that I mean it's doing something like "user moved the mouse this far -> fake the analog stick being moved this hard left/right for this period of time".

It's what makes it have super jagged intervals at slow speeds and really unpredictable motions if you move too fast. It's not *quite* what I expect from mouse movement, so it's a bit disorienting.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Cowcaster posted:

This is absolutely the truth, and I have a pretty good feeling that if anyone can tweak the autolock problems it'll be the resolution hack guy.
It's probably not going to be easy to fix/fixable at all, since the way mouselook works now is just emulating the right analog stick (I think it's actually faking it so moving the mouse a certain distance pretends an analog stick was held for a certain period of time). Someone would need to add native mouselook in to an engine that doesn't support it, or disable R3 target switching (and find another way for you to switch targets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Kiggles posted:

My guess is, whatever obnoxious performance hog of particle code they have will remain that way, even if something like reducing precision might also help smooth framerates on consoles... god, I hope there is a fix. :smith:
If it's a matter of poorly optimized shaders, the same method used to fix the resolution can apply by just swapping in more efficient/lower quality ones.

That said, if this (inefficient shaders) was the case it'd be a GPU bottleneck issue, which contradicts what people are saying so who knows.

• Locked thread