Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Can anybody give me a run down on how the keyboard/mouse controls handle on the PC versus the PS3 controller? I love Dark Souls, but a lot of my talent with it is muscle memory and I'd worry I'd grow frustrated with the differences.

It'd be even better I would be able to hook up my PS3 controller to my PC and use that, although I imagine there's no way to set it up without losing some of the functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

You could be cheap as hell like me. I just run around with a halberd or spear and poke the big mobs just out of their range once they're recovering. :v:

I prefer letting them bounce off my shield and then mauling them. Even the spastic flail is no use against a simply raised HEater Shield!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

So I haven't purchased the DLC for my PS3 version of the game and am instead thinking of getting the PC version since it's part of the Steam Sale. I know that the fixes make it look gorgeous, but I was wondering if hackers are as big of a problem as people were worried they would be. Also, since the PC version does that GamesForWindows stuff, could I potentially play with my friend on his 360, or are they separated?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Platypus Farm posted:

Hackers aren't really any big deal because of two things:
1) you can just stay hollow for awhile if one is harassing you
2) There aren't actually that many

As far as question 2, no, it's PC only for the playerbase.

RE: GFWL banning: won't ever happen. That should probably go in the OP too.

Good enough for me! I can deal with the odd hacker by quitting out, loading up and hollowing by the bonfire.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I just downloaded the PC version after playing the PS3 version from launch, patched it up and set it up so I can use my PS3 controller and... drat, I am SO glad I got this on steam sale 'cause this looks AMAZING! I'm SunBroing it with the Gargoyles for now. It still makes me really happy when I help somebody to the first bell and I get to hear them ring it. :3:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

EDIT: ^^^ The Rapier is one of the best weapons in the game for Riposting and Backstabbing, since it has a big crit modifier. It's definitely worth using if you like it.

So I don't know what else to do with my Faith build at this moment. I had originally planned on picking Strength or Dex to use the Sunlight Blade with after I built my faith up, but now that my faith is at 40 I'm not sure which to pick. Or if I want to just go straight faith! Right now I'm pretty well set up to beat the game with the gear I have. I'll probably invest in some more stamina and vitality, but what else could I do with this character?

Build is here: http://tinyurl.com/alyqnao

Oh, and I'm using a +3 Occult Claymore to get the best out of my 40 in Faith, and because I like the swing set. I'm only two chunks away from getting it to +4, but is this a good use for my white slab or should I go with something else?

DOUBLE EDIT: Side note, I'm thinking of starting a dedicated Pyromancer with a +5 Chaos Great Scythe, 'cause that's cool. Is this dumb? And if not, where should I put all of my points after I jack up End, Vit and my weapon requirement? Attunement?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 8, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I switched from the PS3 version to the PC version, and while I'm really enjoying my Faith guy I do miss my big strength build that I was working on. Is there any way I can cheat to rebuild my PS3 character on the PC and kinda-sorta pick up where I left off? I don't mind having to request to the progress but I REALLY don't wanna have to re-do all the grinding.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I'm getting a lot of Summoning Failed stuff too. I get the feeling it has a lot to do with the connection of the people you're summoning but I'd love to be proven wrong.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 9, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Is there a good save editor for this game, and do I at all run the risk of getting in any trouble for using one? I want to port the dude I had on the PS3 over and figured that's about the only option I have.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It's trivially easy to hack and as far as I know nobody has ever been punished for anything, no matter how extreme.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Nobody has cared about GFWL since they made it. I imagine it's just a dusty old beige PC in the corner of Microsofts server building that someone kicks from time to time to make sure the light is still blinking.

Well that's good to know! Unfortunately I haven't been able to pull it off since the tool I found only seems to break the save.

Ah well, I'll grind it out some other time. :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Hmm, really?
I know I killed the gargoyles and rang that bell. I just killed Pinwheel, got into the Tomb of the Giants but am having a tough time getting to the first bonfire there due to the wheel skeletons. Y'know, I've been feeling like I've missed something for a long time now.

edit: Looking at the wiki, I haven't done the Depths or fought Capra yet.
...how???

It sounds like you're lost, so here's how to get to the Lower Burg. Everything else is straightforward-ish from there.

If you haven't already, you need to get the key to the Lower Undead Burgs. It's by the portcullis in front of the Church where you killed the Bell Gargoyles, so swing on up there and grab it. The door to the Lower Undead Burg is on the Bridge with the Red Drake, over on the end where you first meet Solaire. It's the locked one just opposite of where you come from after fighting the Taurus Demon. It's pretty much a straight-shot from there to the Capra Demon, but do look around for shortcuts. There's two to unlock, and one gets you a valuable merchant.

I hope that helps!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Lazy Programming posted:

Hey, Orv, some pubbie got into your dark goons group and is inviting us to some sort of roleplaying dark souls group and instead we're causing him to sperg out. Just thought you should know.

Well you can't post this without sharing some details for the rest of us. :v:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Lazy Programming posted:

It's not as great as it sounds.

code:
1:31 PM - Yikesmare: yall play dark souls or what?
1:32 PM - Yikesmare: wow
1:32 PM - NotECEC: can't talk i'm analyzing the new trailer for my upcoming lore video
1:32 PM - Yikesmare: lol
1:33 PM - Yikesmare: i have a group yall may be interested in
1:33 PM - Yikesmare: Dark Souls role Playing Challenges
1:35 PM - NotECEC: define challenge
1:35 PM - NotECEC: s
1:35 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: beat the game as rhea
1:35 PM - Yikesmare: look at the group page on my profile
1:35 PM - Yikesmare: that role is taken
1:35 PM - Yikesmare: but yes
1:36 PM - Yikesmare: and other challenges
1:36 PM - Yikesmare: and experimental challenges
1:36 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: oh poo poo, someone let a nongoon in
1:36 PM - NotECEC: Members are required to participate in Flash Mob Events.
1:36 PM - NotECEC: OH BOI
1:37 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: jesus gently caress, who needs to be in like 10 different dark souls groups
1:37 PM - Lotus Gramarye  ҉: lol
1:37 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: I don't even like the people in this one
1:37 PM - NotECEC: Neglect of roles or group communication vital for flash mob events will result in revoking of membership and approved role
1:38 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: 2 of them only include yourself which is almost as sad as my group list
code:
1:48 PM - Yikesmare: you guys seem fun and interesting what is this group all about?
1:48 PM - NotECEC: mostly we role play dark souls with very specific rules to make the game as unfun as possible
1:48 PM - NotECEC: and talk about poo poo rivers
1:48 PM - Yikesmare: do i smell hater?
1:48 PM - NotECEC: HEH
1:49 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: I have literally never seen blue water in this state
1:49 PM - Yikesmare: are you hating on my group? makes no sense im a friendly not an enemy
code:
1:50 PM - Yikesmare: just trying to make unique challenges
1:51 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: that's fine, but you're still an outsider
1:51 PM - Yikesmare: any one else like or dont like my group?
1:51 PM - Yikesmare: wow and that means? everyone has to be outsider at some time and start somewhere
1:51 PM - dragonwagon: the people in it like it im sure
1:51 PM - Madcat: I'm too busy ganking newbs to care about groups
1:51 PM - Yikesmare: i gank too
1:51 PM - Yikesmare: i have well over 1500 hrs of play
1:52 PM - NotECEC: yeah, but we gank outsiders
1:52 PM - Lotus Gramarye  ҉: ganking scrubtrash
1:52 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: yeah, but this is a pay to join group
1:52 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: someone invited you by mistake
1:52 PM - Yikesmare: try and gank me now
1:52 PM - Yikesmare: i startt game
1:52 PM - Yikesmare: poo poo
1:52 PM - Yikesmare: its on like donkey kong thets do battle ruins 4 way
1:52 PM - Yikesmare: no its public jerk
1:53 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: yeah, the dude who runs it hates us with a passion
1:53 PM - Yikesmare: why are yall being assholes to me is this a loving circle jerk?
1:53 PM - Real Victims of Discrimination: effectively ya
1:53 PM - Lotus Gramarye  ҉: yes
1:53 PM - Yikesmare: wow
1:53 PM - Yikesmare: losers
1:53 PM - Yikesmare: everywhere
1:53 PM - Yikesmare: cant ever get away from them to have good time they always hating
He's still here and we're still being jerks to him but it isn't entertaining.

Ah, yeah. When yous aid roleplayer spergin I was expecting somebody to be in there flipping their poo poo that you weren't respecting Gwyn as a Sunbro or how you aren't taking the game seriously because you wear the onion helmet and nothing else or whatever else RPers typically get bent out of shape about.

This is just sorta... Eh...

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Honestly? That's hillarious, and I'm sorely tempted to start fighting people so I could message the one's I beat afterwards about how they'd be victorious if they followed the Rules (tm).

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I just booted the game up again and have a Cleric in my mid 20's sporting the Elite Knight set and a fire morning start, and I finally got my first invasion as I was making my way through the depths! He chased me around and tried to swipe/fireball/combustion me for a minute or so before stopping, dropping a hero's soul and leaving.

I dunno why he did that, but hey! 10k souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I thought it was pretty widely accepted that the King's Field series was the progenitor of the Souls series, since they're both made by From. Maybe I'm overstating the connection, though; I've only played Dark Souls.

More or less. Dark Souls is the spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls, which in turn was considered the spiritual successor to King's Field. There's also some recurring elements in the Souls games that come directly from King's Field, like the Moonlight Greatsword and dragons named Seath.

• Locked thread