Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Guddamn this looks better'n I thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not averse to buying this version rather than waiting for the DLC for the PS3, I just need to know about performance and stability. The problem is that From isn't even really very good at programming for console platforms, and as far as I know this is their first PC game ever.

they did the King's Field games too, have some FAITH (get it??!?!!)

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's King's Field game on the PC?

edit: Just so we're all on the same page, Dark Souls is one of my top five games ever.

kind of!

Wikipedia posted:

Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool is a King's Field designing tool for the Microsoft Windows platform which was released in Japan. It lets the user construct free-standing King's Field games which may be played independently, without having Sword of Moonlight installed. It also contains a full remake of the first King’s Field game originally released on the PlayStation.[5] A fan made a full English translation available as a patch.[4]

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Guys, can we can the "woe is me" port chat for now? The reviewers said it looks good and plays good, game is out in a few hours and we can all see then.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Attention Horse posted:

Someone on the Steam forums posted some screenshots of the PC Version. Just like I thought, it looks like blurry pixelated dogshit.

actually that looks good. If you are just going to poo poo up the thread with your bitching and saying how you aren't going to buy it, can you please get out?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Maybe the thumbnails look good, but when you blow it up to full 1920x1080 it looks pretty goddamn blurry and awful.

that is an -opinion-. I've played this game on a 42" 1080p monitor on 360 and it looks good. I think those screenshots look good.

I don't want this thread to turn into a bitchfest of people complaining about how a quick and dirty port doesn't cater to their needs. The game looks just as good as it did on the console, and I never heard of anyone crying about how the game wasn't pretty enough for them. Also that second screenshot is the only one that I would call "blurry", and there is some pretty obvious motion blur going on there.

In short, if you've decided that the game isn't up to your standards of graphical beauty and FROM is a lovely company for things not being perfect for you, then there is no need to post here. This thread is for the discussion of the game for new players, not the discussion of how you don't want to buy the game for whatever reason.

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 23, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

DMBFan23 posted:

Has my Xbox 360 looked like that all along? I liked the way console Dark Souls looked on a large screen LCD. I joined the PC master race back in like April and haven't touched my Xbox in a while, and when I blew up the thumbnails my first response was to cringe a little.

Of course I loving love Dark Souls so I'm going to play it and love it no matter what, but...have I become a...PC Elitist? :ohdear:

Either way the hardest part is going to be deciding what character to roll first.

No, probably not. I'm in the same boat as you. I became a Steam convert this summer and played a bunch of games, including L4D2, which I also have on xbox. Of course on my PC I set that game to max everything and play at 1920x1080.

I popped the disc in my xbox a few weeks ago when the DLC dropped, and holy poo poo it was almost unplayable. Framerate sucked, the controls felt sluggish, and of course the resolution was nowhere near what I was getting on my PC.

Not to mention me watching my son play Torchlight on xbox is painful. The camera is like ten feet above his head, you can't see poo poo.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Norns posted:

I hate myself, I swore I wouldn't double dip.

Anyone now the cheapest place to get a steam key is right now?

gently caress.

GMG has it for around $35, but they've got a history of not providing keys in a timely manner.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Phoix posted:

It got cracked so here's a guy streaming it if you want an idea of how it looks.

game confirmed to look good! Imagine that.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Besides added DLC, have they added any new enemies to the original areas or ramp'd up the difficulty?

Nope, same game.

Ugggh eight more hours, hurry up

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

:stare: what is this FXAA injector and how do I computer it

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

cat doter posted:

My favourite thing to do is actually killing that guy with the first time he appears. Pro gamerz only. :colbert:

Watching a newbie play Dark Souls is fun, I've been trying to get the guy on stream to do dumb poo poo so I can laugh like maniac when he dies.

I'm watching it too, that Havel bit was hysterical

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

No. This looks good:

This looks like poo poo:

yeah, thats a good comparison screenshot. Quit trolling jackass.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

How is it not? both are action RPGs for the PC, except one came out over a year ago.
You need to quit acting like discussing what the game looks like is trolling.

well for starters the Witcher landscape shot is a little different, artistically, than the starting dungeon cell in Dark Souls. One of them is supposed to look grimy and lovely and one of them is supposed to be a glorious colorful vista.

And bouncing into a thread to post "this looks like poo poo" is not "discussing what the game looks like". It's threadshitting, pure and simple.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

sweet, preload is only gonna take about a half hour :smugdog:

oh christ now the wait will be even harder

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Saltin posted:

Am I remembering right that Steam will auto start the download for me, or do I have to wait till I get home and start it up manually?

You should be able to start the download with the Steam app or from a browser window

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Saltin posted:

What I mean to say is I am not at my home computer at the moment and don't have access to it. My logged in Steam client at home won't start downloading the game automatically based on availability, will it?

No, but if you can access another computer to get to the Steam website or have a smartphone with the free Steam app, you can start the download now remotely to your home PC and it'll be ready for you.

But if not, it's a small file anyways so it shouldn't take too long. Use the waiting time to pore over the delightful and informative OP!

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

that is my all time favorite DS video. Anybody gettin mad at Dark Souls PvP (you will), needs to watch that

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

There are so many good trolling pvp videos out there. Search YouTube for sansviedotcom (spelled out like that) for some of the best ones

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Nebelwerfer posted:

woop woop!

e;fb :argh:

ee: are you guys loving blind

oh my god :hawaaaafap:

If anyone says this doesn't look better I don't know what the gently caress to say to them

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jesus I can't wait to see what the mod community does with this game

by mod community I don't mean hex editor PvP shitlords

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

RE: hackers ruining PvP, my hopes are:

1. Most hackers would probably have pirated this thing to begin with and the DRM would prevent them from engaging in MP

2. Hacking in a 1v1 niche game like this might get pretty boring pretty fast, leading them to move on to greener pastures

3. My "I don't give a gently caress, 420 wear silly costumes and spam emotes" attitude towards PvP will prevail

4. I can always go back to consoles when the DLC drops, I guess

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

everyone post awesome dark souls youtubes for getting the newbies ready for the dark and unforgiving nature of Lordran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aJXTdnVEIU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mCb8nZxg2M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AAhxgjZ2vI&feature=plcp

last one is an all time great, try to avoid spoilers, or at least mark 'em

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 23, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Attention Horse posted:

This game is a lot sillier than I expected :stare:.

that's the cool thing about PvP: the game allows you to be creative and hilarious

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

oh my god is it really gonna unlock in an hour :f5:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

ITS loving LIVE

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Just had my first successful invasion :twisted:

And again hehehe

E: and a third this owns

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 24, 2012

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

can someone with computer knowledge give a step by step babby brain breakdown of how to install the resolution fix? I wanna add it to the OP

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

Oh hey, I'm in the top ten!

I don't think I'll be obsessive enough to stay there though. It was hard enough making it into the top 20 on the 360.

heheh, you're a goon? I just owned your combustion spamming rear end in upper blighttown (well me and a white phantom) :getin:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

jonjonaug posted:

Oh poo poo that was you?

I wanted more of a straight up fight but I paniced when I saw the summon phantom message so...yeah.

haha, it's cool, I was just talking poo poo. I will admit I was scared though :ohdear:

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

:siren: For those wanting to access the new areas :siren:

1. Go kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin
2. Quit and reload
3. Walk all the way to the back of the lake and kill the golden crystal golem
4. Talk to Dusk, who is the girl that appears after you kill the golem
5. Clear Anor Londo, get the Lordvessel and place it
6. Warp to Anor Londo, enter Duke's Archives
7. Past the two boars there is a new crystal golem in the first bonfire room. Kill it
8. Return to Hydra Lake in the Basin, the portal should be open at the far end where you first rescued Dusk

I'm on step 5 now if anyone wants some jolly coop or to explore the new areas together :smith: Message me on GFWL, my gamertag is AaarghMyKDRatio. My Steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/OnionBro

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

I'm getting loving ROLLED in the DLC. Somebody help

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

AlternatePFG posted:

That's a good thing. I played the game so much on the PS3 that I want to get my rear end kicked again.

I know, but it's scary :ohdear:

one nice thing is I managed to find the guardian armor set and it OWNS

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

TalonDemonKing posted:

DLC Armor Spoilers

Atorias Armor Set, avaliable after you defeat Atorias for 20k souls apiece from Domhall.
http://imgur.com/a/WY1HQ#7

Still trying to figure out how to use his soul to upgrade into his sword -- It's not the broken hilt +10 from what I've gathered so far.

You gotta use a claymore +10

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Kiggles posted:

what area? ash lake?

painted world

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

drat. Are there guides up for the DLC content yet?

nope, just a lot of scattered information. Anything in particular you want to know?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

1. How to get there, I know it has something to do with rescuing Dusk.
2. What the four new bosses are (they've already shown off 3 in previews).
3. If there's any incredible items

How to get there:

1. Kill Hydra, rescue Dusk, go see talk to her and buy whatever you need
2. Go thru Anor Londo and get Lordvessel and place it
3. Go to Duke's Archives, first room past the first bonfire is is a new crystal golem, kill it and get the broken pendant
4. Go back to were you rescued Dusk, there will be a weird lookin portal. There's a bonfire right thru there where you can save and warp to and from.

Four new bosses:

1. A chimera with a poison tail. Uses lightning and melee. Appears to be weak to lightning. Chop off his tail for a poison whip. Drops Guardian Soul, not sure what it does. He's fast and moves very quickly. Ranged battle would probably be best.

2. ARTORIAS. He's...not too easy. Melee, doesn't appear to be weak to fire, lightning or divine. He moves very quickly and will try to do a power up super saiyan; attack him with everything you got when he does that and you can stunlock him out of that. Try to summon help for this one, two other phantoms will make it much easier. Drops his Soul, which can be used to ascend a +10 Claymore into the Abyss Sword, or you can visit this same area later, meet Ciaran, and trade his soul for her two daggers, which would be great for a DEX/Crit build. After killing him Dornhall will sell his set for 20k per piece.

3. Optional black dragon! This is a very cinematic and exciting battle and I haven't even come close to beating it. You'll find a key through careful exploration of the area past Artorias. Use that key at the top of Artorias' tower to meet Gough, who will shoot the dragon from the sky, allowing you to fight him. This dragon is a hardass, so be advised. Cutting off his tail gives you the Obsidian Greatsword.

4. Manus, who appears to be Flamelurker and is apparently the Pygmy. At the very bottom of what appears to be Tomb of the Giants Part II. Drops his soul which can be crafted into a Catalyst. I haven't fought him, he is apparently a badass.

Incredible new items:

1. Little wooden carvings that you can drop (they are reusable) that will say something to all the phantoms in your world in Gough's voice. Stuff like "I'm sorry" or "help me!"

2. The Guardian Set, a super heavy set of armor, lighter that Havel's, 98 poise for the whole set, and better resistances. Found piece by piece in the Royal Wood. I really like it.

3. A loving rear end in a top hat merchant who will also Darkwraith you. Kill him for his weird Joker with a top hat set. He sells nothing of use for way too much money.

4. Three new Sorcery spells and a Pyromancy combustion-like. They use Dark Magic, which apparently does extra damage to humans. The Sorceries all take an INT score in the mid teens, nothing too crazy.

5. An item that emits a WoG-like field to repel Dark Magic.

I will say that the DLC area is tough, I wouldn't go there before level 55-60, and make sure you have some good weapons.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Aaaah! Thank you, this is amazing, and thanks to the others who answered my questions about how to get in.

I'll probably go into the DLC area once I'm at the "Re-running kiln over and over for ore" point, as most will. From what a lot of people have been saying it's tougher than the main-game content.

It is. I went back to New Londo Ruins to get the Very Large Ember after a few hours in the DLC area and it was positively relaxing.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

man Dark Souls would be so much better if they allowed you to play as Batman from the Arkham City game

i would just grappel my way up to Anor Londo and use a smoke grenade to confuse the four kings and then me and Robin would gang up on Havel

but only if from software actually made mouse and keyboard perfect, am i right guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

So, I loaded this up and tried playing through the intro area, it looks like Tomb Raider 1. This game is loving ugly and awkward. How long does it take to get to the cool stuff? I'm just walking around smacking skeletons and traversing white light.

The voice acting is horrible too, is it tongue in cheek? Is it supposed to be corny?

dude, wat? Aren't you supposed to be representing SA in the videogame area, like, officially?

also I ran into my first hacker in Dark Anor Londo and then the same guy twice in the Painted World. That didn't take long. :sigh: he hacked himself like 8000 hit points and it was displayed above him? I dunno. I took a few screenshots, is there like a Dark Souls police or Steam/GFWL anticheat something that I should send them to?

• Locked thread