Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ratios and Tendency posted:

OP might also want to add a tip about not consuming fire keeper souls.

loving things up permanently is part of the fun!

voltron lion force posted:

If it works like the console versions then the multiplayer will use a peer to peer connection. Your "world" is hosted on your own machine, so there won't be lag during singleplayer, but being that it uses GFWL you may need to be connected to the internet to access savefiles (don't quote me on this, not all that familiar with GFWL).

Not sure how the PC will handle it but the console versions can be played entirely offline if you wish. It means you'll never be invaded by players, won't see any of the help signs all over the world, and can't access some of the covenant stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

Yep, something about them not wanting the PC version to look better than the console ones or something. Garbage.

This is dumb, but wasn't LA Noire "Locked" at 30 FPS on the PC until someone edited something and got it to run at 60? I'm sure someone will figure something out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Attention Horse posted:

Someone on the Steam forums posted some screenshots of the PC Version. Just like I thought, it looks like blurry pixelated dogshit.

That looks like the PS3 version :v: It's not a pretty game

Dongue Quixote posted:

What kind of gamepad is best for Dark Souls? I searched around to see if there was a recommended one, and I couldn't find any info.

On the PS3 you use all the face buttons, Start and Select, all 4 shoulder buttons, the D-Pad (all of it), both analog sticks, and the click-in on the right analog stick. This would be a mess on the keyboard but I'm sure someone will try

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 23, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MrEltee posted:

Quick heads up incase people didn't notice;

Steam copy doesn't unlock at 7pm EST anymore; It shows 12 hours left until unlock now.

And more importantly, Neogaf guy Durante already found out how to change the internal frame buffer;

That means NO LOCKED INTERNAL RES.

You can render in 1080p now if you want, no need to upscale.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488088&page=15
Haha took him 23 minutes. Yay PC!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lizard Bastard posted:

A minority, sure, but it's frustrating to meet the system requirements and chug like hell. That having been said, I've got a ~3.2ghz processor and a Radeon 4800 series card. Things really go south when the Asylum Demon does some of his attacks, which is due to dust particle effects I guess? Anyway, the question I'm driving at is this: am I looking at a GPU bottleneck, or a processor bottleneck?

I mean, I can get a new video card by the end of the year, but if it's a new CPU and mobo I'm looking at, gently caress. :negative:
3.2 ghz doesn't say anything these days, what's the actual processor?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

Also I don't think the Eagle shield nerf is very significant at all. 5% phys damage allowed is minuscule, as long as the stability stays the same.
If anything it makes health regen actually useful.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I'm pretty sure the Drake Sword has always been really good.

It's the best sword at the point you can get it but because it doesn't scale with stats at all and doesn't scale well with upgrades it falls out of use eventually.

First time through I used it until I could equip the Black Knight Sword, then when I got the Lightning Spear used that until I beat the game :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TerminalBlue posted:

So I restarted because I wasn't really feeling the Dex build(and levelled way too drat fast instead of spending it on gear). Did I make a horrible mistake by upgrading Astora's sword twice? I didn't even notice it wasn't using regular shards until it was too late. Certainly does kill the crap out of things for now though.

You can get every crafting material in the game off of shops or enemies you can farm eventually, don't worry. You can't actually permanently mess up although you might waste some time.

Also if it's killing stuff for you it's certainly not a waste

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Holy poo poo the Gaping Dragon was loving terrifying. I never stopped at the Depths bonfire so I was down a few flasks, but luckily I summoned the Solaire Knight and he took its attention for about half the fight. When he grabbed me in his vaginal maw I figured I was finished but I made it with a sliver of health and was able to miracle myself some health.

He gave a ton of souls so I decided to finally buy Artorias' crest and uh....do the guys in there respawn? Because I almost made the 20000 back in 10 minutes of fighting.

Some of them do.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you upgrade estus?

If you get a firekeeper soul, take it to a firekeeper and ask them to upgrade. You can do firelink, Anor Londo, around the Demon Ruins.

DON'T EAT IT

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Perfect Potato posted:

Give a firekeeper soul to the lady in Firelink that reinforces Estus. I think I found one in the Parish chapel, on the bottom floor with all the Balder knights.

Vague locations of all souls if you're curious. I'll list the area but not how to get to them specifically in case you wanna be on the lookout.

-That one, before fighting the Gargoyles
-One in Blight Town if you wander around, a lot of people get it by mistake while trying to escape.
-One in New Londo (not Anor Londo), which you can actually get as soon as you arrive at firelink if you suicide into it
-One late in the game in Duke's Archives

Which makes 4. You can get up to a max of +7 Estus flask. You get the other 3 souls by killing the firekeepers themselves

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Are Katanas dex swords? If I'm mainly str I guess I'm stuck to huge 2handers? Are some of those bigger ones like the demon maul hammer and stone guardian sword worth using? I need more str for those though...

What's the formula anyways for being able to use weapons 2handed?

I don't know if they nerfed the Black Knight Greataxe in the PC version but that was by far my favorite STR weapon (I had around 40 STR, it needs 36). It's not as slow as the other massive STR weapons and it still hits really hard.

The only problem is that there are only 2 enemies that drop it in the whole game, and the first one doesn't respawn so if you don't get it you have to wait until the end of the game to get one.

2 Handing a weapon multiplies your STR by 1.5, so if you have 24 STR you can 2hand a weapon that needs 36 STR. On top of that 2 hand animations usually flat out deal more damage even ignoring the STR bonus.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Mimic posted:

A weapon wielded with both hands counts your strength as STR + 50% toward the requirement. As I understand it, having 20 STR counts as having 30 STR toward wielding it two-handed and not one-handed, for instance. (Edit: Beaten again.)

Kind of regretting going STR so heavily. I have 25 STR, 20 dex, so I could conceivably switch. I found a nice katana with B dex scaling. For strength weapons, the best scaling I can find is C, and that's the Black Knight Sword. It seems like fast weapons may be more fun, straight swords in particular, but I don't wanna waste this beefy 25 STR I have.

The Black Knight Sword is good for the stats you have, I used it for a pretty large portion of the game. You do have good stats for the BK Greataxe if you ever find it, it requires 36 STR and 18 DEX so you can 2 hand it and the dex you have isn't wasted. At 25 STR you can one hand a Zweihander but it only needs 10 DEX. It scales at C with STR and D with Dex.

There's a neat spear you can get that needs 24STR and 24DEX that scales with STR, DEX and FTH but it doesn't do that much damage, but it shoots loving lightning bolts.

Really if you're on your first time through scaling is not as important as having the minimum requirements to wield a weapon, you can upgrade a weapon to fire/lightning to remove scaling and make it stronger.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The Mimic posted:

Wait, what? That can't be true, that can't possibly-- http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/594727976584879465/0ABC163DEA393F30411C9A262299218703EC639F/

:black101: :black101: :black101:

(is there any actual reason to wield a greatsword off-handed?)

Uh I never knew this and I've been playing this game on and off for a year.

You can wield weapons in your offhand if you want a different attack, mainly for PVP. So you can do stuff like have a quick sword in your main hand to attack with but keep a spear in your offhand to poke enemies if they try to outrange your sword.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's funny how much of the game you can actually just run past. I'm fairly sure you can do Blighttown without killing anything, for instance.

Blighttown actually has a really major shortcut or two where you can run and do a leaping jump and skip large parts of it.

You can get from the Depths entrance straight to the second bonfire this way by just running past everything and save a lot of headache from those stupid falling floors and poo poo.

Then when you get to the swamp it's actually a really short distance to the boss, the first time I was in there I was lost enough to end up halfway through the great hollow but it's not long at all when you know the place.

Now to ask the thread a question for a change: when does the DLC "start" at the earliest? I have a guy at the beginning of NG+++ on console and wanted to know what point I'd have to get up to to see the new stuff when it's out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kiggles posted:

Covenant Spoiler

Will the Chaos Coven shortcut remain open if I break the covenant? I'm sitting here with a crap ton of humanities after bro-oping and wondering if I shouldn't just spend them on this covenant.

Only if you open the door before breaking it. You can also spend the humanity to level up Darkwraith but you can miss that covenant permanently and might have already

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

AlternatePFG posted:

It's a great ring, but I always thought of it as more of a crutch. My logic is that eventually I'm going to want that ring slot, so I don't want to get used to having that extra heath, stamina and equip load just to have that permanently (Until the next playthrough where you can get another) taken away.

You can get 2 per playthrough, one from trading with Snuggly too.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

I had the opposite experience climbing up out of Ash lake. "Ok, got past the last basilisks at the top of the Great Hollow, now I just need to walk up this branch to the bonfire at the to----*falls down* :darksouls:

Let's talk Great Hollow/Ash lake for a second! I just got down there for the first time and it is probably one of the most wonderful videogame experiences I've had in a while. First, the descent down the Great Hollow, in near-absolute silence, only broken by the snapping of twigs and the animal sounds of the basilisks. Nerve-wracking and chilling, especially if you're afraid of heights like me. Then, finally having made it to the bottom you enter Ash Lake and the choral score sets in, and the beautiful light and water are such a relief and there's even a bonfire right there! Then a tense chase down a winding water-swept spur of ash with a hydra breathign down your neck (I got cursed on the way down and couldn't take the hydra on as a result). Entering the secluded grove with the Eternal Dragon who is hiding behind his wings when you approach. Then on the way back, seeing all the other trees and realising there's a world at the top of each of them, and the light filtering down is so beautiful.

And then the icy realisation that you rested at the downstairs bonfire and now have to climb back up :downs:

Yeah you probably shouldn't go there until later in the game, when you can teleport out.

It's definitely one of the coolest areas for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. On top of that: The realization that the radiant white beach you are on is probably not sand, and that's why this is called Ash Lake. I think some of the people piecing together the lore guessed that it was the bodies of the dragons that died in the great war mentioned at the beginning of the game.

It even kind of ties the game in to Demon Souls - the worlds in that could have just been different trees that you're looking at, although they intentionally don't make any references to Demon Souls because Sony owns it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ToiletDuckie posted:

Found the parrying dagger while suicidexploring. It's so fun that I'm considering traveling through the rest of the game with dual daggers (as I originally planned) and a bow to cheese anything difficult. I almost think it'd work, given the results on random Balder Knights, the Mage? in the church, and that... rather underwhelming (crippled?) thing next to the blacksmith that shoots lightning bolts that collide with pillars and is completely nonthreatening from a distance.

On a related note: would it be worth upgrading the parrying dagger if I think I'll use it for the rest of the game? With all of the "WEAKNESS: FIRE" messages I run across in the Parish, it seems like it'd be nice for the offhand weapon to have an elemental enchantment for utility (fast swings to boot) and leave the main hand weapon to be upgraded normally and have whatever magic items like pine dust I find applied as appropriate. I haven't found any of the items that would let me enchant weapons yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead a bit.

No, let me guess. This is Dark Souls. The moment I think I understand what's going on and start planning ahead something larger, meaner, or just plain cheesier will pop up and remind me that I'm a stupid newbie and that I should go back to hiding behind a shield and start leveling again (SL~20 and 20 DEX seems like all I'll need to equip all the DEX-based weapons I could ever want... I guess it's worth it to level just so I can get area-appropriate coop assistance when I inevitably and spectacularly fail?)

In short - the parrying dagger is for parrying, not attacking with. You can beat the game with it (it'll be tougher than a shield), but you should prioritize your main weapon since that's what you actually hit things with. You'd actually be better off enchanting your main dagger with lightning or fire damage, because of the way backstabs and parries work, elemental weapons do a LOT of damage. I was gonna write up an explanation but it's really confusing to a lot of players.

If you're not sure what to level, you can never go wrong with END and VIT. Vitality lets you take more hits which makes the game much more forgiving, and END lets you block for longer, run for longer, attack for longer, and equip heavier equipment like better weapons and armor - it's the most important stat since it determines your offense, defense and mobility.

Keep a shield anyway because most bosses can be blocked but not parried, unless you want to get really awesome at rolling and keep your equipment light all the time so you roll at max speed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KaneTW posted:

The controls in this game are weird. Mouse/Keyboard is clumsy as hell and me trying to use a gamepad is even more clumsy. No idea what to do, I want to play this game :(

What's the problem with gamepad? The actual game controls a bit weird in general, your movements are very deliberate and can't be interrupted but I imagine keyboard makes it worse.

Zylen posted:

What's the deal with unhollowing and PvP? Everytime I've tried it to see what it's like to summon/be summoned, within 5-10 minutes the same guy invades my game and kills me in ~3 rapid hits while I do next to no damage to him. I normally enjoy PvP, but I just kind of don't see the point in bothering with humanity when it's like that.

There should be a timer that doesn't allow the same guy to invade you in a short span of time. Also, if you want to be summoned you need to be in hollow form, not human. It just depends on the area really, some of them are PVP hotzones and you can't turn human without instant invasions because people go there to PVP.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ToiletDuckie posted:

What's the difference between "normal" upgrading a weapon versus enchants from a damage perspective? I know that elemental upgrades lower or negate stat-based bonuses to weapon damage, but if you're going to keep a character at low levels that should matter less than having an elemental enchantment, right?
Basically, yes. Making a weapon "Lightning+5" gives it high damage and lightning damage permanently, but it stops scaling with your stats and can't be enchanted by spells or resins. On the other hand a normal "+15" weapon scales with your stats and can be enchanted to add some extra elemental damage, too.

If you have 40 DEX and 40 INT and enchant your + 15 Katana with Crystal Magic Weapon, you will do more damage than anyone - but you don't have those stats. Elemental weapons will outdamage normal weapons for a pretty long time, especially if you're not planning on pumping damage stats any time soon. This also frees you up to focus on the other stats but still do respectable damage.

ToiletDuckie posted:

I started out as a Thief, so at least the starter armor with dagger weapons is extremely light (~12 equipment load). It seems like there's a skill and knowledge based limit to how well you can do without blocking that isn't conducive to a first play through, but it's just more fun to roll around while enormous things that can kill you in two swings attempt to squash you. It helps that I have 0 souls stocked and stay undead 95% of the time so that the countless deaths due to mistakes aren't quite as painful.

Rolling is actually more effective than blocking but yes, it needs more knowledge of the game. If you're fighting a boss for the first time keeping your shield out and just observing what he does is much easier than guessing which direction you are supposed to roll based on tells you haven't learned yet.

If you're set on rolling as your main form of defense make sure your equip load is less than 25% of your max load, there are different rolls for different equip burdens.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So I guess trashing my black knight sword at Kingseeker Frampt was a bad idea. :downs:

It dropped on the first and only one I killed, so I figured it was no big deal.
It's a nice mid game weapon but don't feel bad, there are plenty of weapons to choose from. A Claymore is similar and has much lower requirements.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

When you rescue her from the Tomb you need to go talk to her ASAP. And then kill Petrus. For whatever reason he hates her and will eventually murder her so you need to prevent that.

If you check the wiki it has all Petrus' possible conversations. He has different lines for before she arrives, after she arrives, after she goes missing, after she's rescued, and if you talk to her then him she tells you what he did and he spills the truth about why he wanted to kill her. Basically she's royalty among clergy and he doesn't like it

Verviticus posted:

Is it worth getting all of this stuff in prep for anor londo or can I just kinda shove my way through it like everything else in my wanderer gear and halberd

You can but you should probably upgrade your Halberd at the very least. You find a lightning spear right before Anor Londo and I used it to beat AL and several other areas afterwards. If you want an easy to get fire weapon you can craft one in AL

Scimitar or Katana +10 + Quelaag Soul

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TerminalBlue posted:

Are crossbows supposed to be horrible? I've had great times using them. Just a shot while the enemy is approaching, cut them up a bit, then backroll and finish them off with another.

Then again I don't really have pyromancy or attack miracles right now, so my opinion might change.

They're not the greatest weapon but you can make them work. Main problem is you can't free-aim them like bows so you use a lot of utility and the damage is lower than spells for about the same effort.

You'll see one crossbow a lot in PVP/Co-op though and it's the one that shoots 3 bolts at once. Long reload time but a nice burst of damage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I harp on this quite a bit, but seriously. Everyone should do a shieldless run of this game at least once. It will force you to absolutely master everything you do. It doesn't have to be fist weapons, and you can wear a shield on your back if you want, but just make it so that you straight-up can't block things like a shield can.

You can pick up a really heavy weapon that forces you to 2 hand it, that way you can still block if you need to but can't hide behind your shield without putting away your weapon.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

Here's how you use it: Pop it on and make the game twice as hard. It's From's way of challenging people who do challenge runs.

It really doesn't give anything else? I thought there would be a tradeoff or something, even something like extra souls per kill.

TerminalBlue posted:

Does the Spider Shield actually increase resistance to poison? If it does, I'm not noticing it.

Only when blocking. If an attack inflicts poison/toxic and you block it with the spider shield it won't get through, with a lot of shields those toxic dart guys still gently caress you up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

aegeryn posted:

Fuuuuuuuck me the boss of Lost Izalith is a new kind of frustrating.

Pits! And hands with enormous range that swing way too fast and hard, to knock you into them! This isn't challenging, it's just stupid.
Yeah that one is kind of bullshit. Save and quit when you kill each core, makes it easier.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kiggles posted:

See, there are a couple of ways to approach the fight, but almost all of them depend on specific gear.

Actually this is exactly why I hate Capra demon. Pretty much every boss in the game is only a roadblock if you let it be - you either are playing too recklessly, approaching incorrectly, being too cautious. If you're losing to the boss, it's about you. I beat the Undead Asylum demon with the Thief's starting weapon at level 20 after I got his pattern down, up to that point I wasn't reading his tells correctly. I was stuck at O+S and kept fighting them over and over until I memorized that fight and could solo it with the Lightning Spear I got in Sen's.

With Capra "have a good shield and equip the right weapon" is actually a lot to ask of the player that early in the game. In NG+ I waded in, blocked his attacks and the dogs all at once, swiped a couple of times and everything was dead. You probably will not have a heavy, stable shield even possibly available by the time you get to Capra first time. You will have your starting shield that his attacks blow straight through.

Also gently caress that room

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Has anyone played with the DLC weapons enough to make a judgement on them yet? From what I've seen a lot of people are saying they're largely inferior to existing weapons :(

I saw the list and on paper some of them look good but I don't know the speeds and animations and such.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

I've messed around with the Gold Tracer.

Oh wow it doesn't attack faster than a falchion or anything to make up for it? I didn't expect it to be enchantable but at least be better than weapons that are. Toxic on a dagger sounds funny though, is the R2 just standard dagger R2 because I can't imagine someone letting you hit twice with that in PVP

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, the instructions said to.

edit: vvv no, I was definitely using an outdated version before, then I got 0.6 and it has lots of options in the ini. And no, I'm not going to stick with 5fps just to get a minor resolution boost, I'll just go without the patch like I have for the last 20 hours of playing.

Do you have an Nvidia card? I think it works better with one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Hey buddy what's really hood?

I'll talk about Abyss Sword and Obsidian Greatsword I guess.

Cool, thanks. I actually have the stats for that first one, my main guy is 40/20/20/20 because I like the freedom to switch things up (Also I tried out Greatsword of Artorias :downs: )

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lagos posted:

The nice thing about these guys is their sword attacks are slow and don't take too much stamina. When you see them swing, raise your shield. Lower it to regain stamina faster, and just keep rotating around them while locked on to try to get behind their sword arm and wail away. It's scary at first, but once you get used to the action, you'll like when they cast TWoP because it's a few free hits.

This is also good practice for Anor Londo.

He was talking about doing it in PVP. There are ways to counter it against players but it differs. If you already have super heavy armor you won't notice a difference so just sit there and heal through it, if you're light then block until it wears off and try a parry if you can.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know how anyone has any trouble getting Priscilla's tail. Just two hand your biggest weapon the first time you get into the room, carefully aim, and cut the tail off as the starting move of the fight. I got it in one two handed R2 attack from my BKS. Then I died about 4 times because it somehow never occured to me to look for her footsteps in the snow :downs:

On NG+ the tail weapons are a pain in the rear end to get. First time I fought that boss I was using like, a lightning spear which won't cut it off in a hit. If you don't get it as the first hit it's really hard because you have no idea where they are a lot of the time.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

keyframe posted:

Got cursed three times in a row I think it is time I go find that cursebite ring because apparently the vendor at the gargoyle tower only has 5 of those curse removal things to sell before he runs out for good. :ohdear:

There are more vendors that sell them. One of them is in New Londo and you can get him to move to Firelink eventually, that same vendor also sells a Curse Removal spell but I think you have to use Humanity to use it and have a certain amount of INT. I remember the Female Undead Merchant sells them too (she's at the shortcut from firelink to part of Undead Burg, sells moss).

Which part of the game are you getting cursed at, Depths?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EBT posted:

Killing the boss of crystal cavern on my first try has cemented my opinion that +15 was the way to go on the balder side sword.

+15 BSS is really good if you level DEX. Also it means you can enchant your weapon with spells or throw on some Resins.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EBT posted:

Yeah I went end/dex (39/29) with enough int (15) for great magic weapon. If I had discovered how big the boost from the ring of favor I probably would have done less endurance. Though now that I think about it there have been times where I have needed all 180+ stamina to survive.
END lets you equip heavier equipment too though, if you have it close to 40 with ring of favor and you're using BSS, shield and catalyst you should have tons of weight to play with. I checked on the character creator and you can get fast roll with one piece of Havel and some light stuff if you really wanna get into builds and stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

What is the general rule of thumb for enemies weak/resistant to the different types of damage? I think the Taurus demon is weak to lightning (hence the Gold Pine resin just before him) and I know Divine stops skeletons from getting up, but that's it.

Divine: Comes from Divine crafted weapons and a couple of other "Paladin" unique weapons. Not only stops skeletons from reviving but does bonus damage against the undead.

Occult: Comes from Occult weapons and I think a couple of other weapons too. Does bonus damage against gods and their armies Gwyn and his Black and Silver knights as far as I know

Fire: In general more effective vs. things that look like they burn and are gloopy but bad against anything that uses fire itself to the point where some enemies are immune to it.

Lightning: Pretty much good against everything actually

Magic: Certain enemies are resistant to this, usually if it's covered in Crystals magic won't work too well. Generally effective against armored guys. Comes from sorceries or making your weapon Magic or Enchanted.

There are also different physical damage types.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

I know the description of slashing swords says they're really good against flesh and not so good against armoured stuff and that rapiers and thrusting weapons are really good against thick armour and scales. I guess "normal" damage type from longswords is just pretty good against everything? I think Strike damage is really good at staggering shields and I know it makes the skeletons fall to bits.

What about Bleed? Does that only affect living things, like Sif and Demons, while undead are fine? Is there any particlar reason the Divine and Occult bits are down with Bleed and Poison other than they are always a flat 110? Or are they a build up thing like Bleed?

I'm currently going for a faith build right now and the lightning spear currently outdamages everything I have by way more than the numbers suggest. I get around 120 pop up with the lightning spear and then like 78 for a level 4 fire spear. Divine and Occult seem to be the way to go with the bonus Magic damage and then a little extra Divine/Occult on top, though I only have 27 faith so the scaling I get is pretty bad, hopefully a few more levels and a larger ember will solve the problem.

Usually Bleed just works on fleshy, unarmored guys. Even in PVP heavy armor has really good bleed resistance, and the bosses that are the biggest targets of bleed are Sif and Asylum Demon. Honestly I never paid enough attention to which damage types are good or bad against certain enemies, it's a much bigger difference in Demon Souls than it is in this one. In DeS if you had the wrong type of weapon you basically couldn't fight certain enemies.

The numbers for Divine and Occult are the percentage multiplier. Some weapons have like, 140 Divine which means they do 40% extra to skeletons.

Lightning is made from a Normal +10 so it's actually equivalent to about Fire+6 I think. A lightning +5 and Fire+10 should do about the same, the only difference should be resistances.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Brackhar posted:

Yar, back from PAX! Time to catch up on the thread!

Oh. :smith: :darksouls:

So, weapon advice. Like before I left I'm still trying to figure out what weapon to use for my Dex based character. I've got Pricillas, Velka's Rapier, Ricard's Rapier, and a Balder Side Sword. Should any of these become my primary, and if so how should I go about upgrading them? On my beefy dude I just went +lightning and that worked great, but in retrospect its an odd choice because it completely kills my stat bonus damage. Any thoughts?

On PS3 the Dex build I see the most is either Balder Side Sword +15 or Uchigatana +15, then throw on a resin or enchant it. Only need 10 int for the lowest level weapon enchant if you can cast magic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

McGrady posted:

You should try out the Manus Catalyst with dark sorceries, if you can. It causes dark sorceries to do more damage than with the tin crystal catalyst, although I don't know what your stats are.

I kind of want to make an INT character for when the DLC hits consoles now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Sitting here at work on Labor Day twiddling my thumbs like an idiot, thinking about Dark Souls.

My guy's at level 39, where would be a good place to drop my white sign? I want to pick up a bunch of humanity I lost last night and if I could smack a boss or two so I could finally join the sun covenant it would be a bonus. I was dropping it in the depths and New Londo when I was messing around there but I think I'm way too high level for those.

New Londo is actually a pretty high level area, 39 might be too low. When in doubt Try O+S, people need the most help there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

sicarius posted:

Welllll... poo poo :(

There are respawning Black Knights near the end of the game so you can get that stuff eventually.

• Locked thread