Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cardboard Box posted:

I've generally heard it's playable with a mouse and keyboard from previews, but if it's anything like Demon's Souls (and obviously it is) this is the kind of game where analog precision is something that will make life a lot easier.

On the other hand, first person controls are generally a lot easier with a mouse, so maybe Darkroot is going to become some kind of sniper's delight. People rolling hidden body and chameleon crawling all over the forest, taking each other out with Pharis' Bow.

"This... is the end..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Revol posted:

I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would. I usually hate overly-difficult games. This doesn't seem 'overly' difficult, though. It's simply unforgiving. It just isn't unfair. I think they hit the perfect spot here. The normal creatures are tough enough to where you can't sleep through them, but they aren't going to always be a hassle. The trek between bonfires is tough, but it simply adds to the gameplay and the strategy, instead of just being a poorly-implemented feature. I really appreciate that healing pots in the game are free. If they weren't, I think my opinion of this game would change greatly. Funny how small things like that can make or break a game.

I'm curious about something. I rang the first bell, at the top. But I wonder if I did it earlier than normal? I'm level 25, and I've only done the Burg and the area after it. It just seems... like this bell was the mid-point of the game, yet I ran it when I'm only like 1/4th through the game.

Oh, before the boss fight before the bell, I had a chance to summon an NPC, that sun-obsessed dude. But when I saw that the first time, I wasn't prepared for the fight, so I went back to my bonfire to refresh. When I came back, the orange sign with the summon was gone. What happened?

I'm a Knight and I have the Drake Sword.

Well it can kind of time out and reappear after a while. Quitting and reloading would probably have made it come back immediately though. Just make sure that you're still human, otherwise it definitely won't show up.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

gibbed posted:

Actually you can quit via the system menu out of any boss fight and when you load the game you'll be in front of the boss gate. Though I'm not sure how that works with Asylum Demon. :v:

It'll probably take a bit longer going through the menu while under fire from the demon than just quick-keying a homeward bone, though.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Holy Cheese posted:

You can talk to a cat in a forest? Well this game is going to be the best I have played since Skyrim. :colbert:

The best part about being new at this game is that the stuff people talk about sounds like the craziest, made up, uncle at Nintendo, I-saved-Aeris bullshit. Like a lot of people will go through the game missing three entire zones, four if you count the Asylum, so when people talk about hitting some random loving wall in the rear end-end of some completely out of the way area, or jumping onto what looks like a random outcropping that in any other game wouldn't even have solid geometry, the mind just boggles.
As well as all the people going "well I rang the second bell, I guess I'm at the end game now? How much can there be left of this game now"

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Kiggles posted:

Capra Demon is interesting. On he one hand, I feel it is "not good", and otherwise not really in the spirit of Dark Souls as a "tough bit fair" kind of design. I mean, yeah, there are a number of bosses that can almost one shot you, and on your first attempt, you are probably just going to get murdered because you just don't know the timings well enough, but ultra conservative players can often one shot bosses, simply because they spend enough time watching and learning to avoid getting caught flat footed. A few bosses run counter to that and will punish the cautious, so I can not exactly say Capra is ACTUALLY a "not good", or really does run contrary to :darksouls:.

See, there are a couple of ways to approach the fight, but almost all of them depend on specific gear. So the other hand is that it caters to experienced players, in so far as they understand what items to get, and how to use them to trivialize the encounter.

Ring of Fog, or Hidden Body will prevent the dogs from going aggressive, and allow you to 1v1 the Capra, although you still need to be careful of getting too close to the dogs. If you combine the Ring with an upgraded, high stability shield, you can pretty much make the fight completely irrelevant, as long as you mind Carpa's one unblockable leap attack.

But yeah, I'm not really fond of Carpa, but I think I'm just licking my wounds from my first trek through the game.

I like the Capra demon, because although I do find it a tad too punishing for an early game boss, it's the kind of boss that forces you to up your game. Unlike Bed of Chaos, it's a boss you will take down more easily on your next NG playthrough, since you'll have a better grasp of what's available to you with regards to items and spells and how much you can rely on upgrading your equipment.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Revol posted:

Yeah, I'll spend 20k in souls for a shortcut, I don't mind.

How do you apply the lightning to a weapon? If I recall, you can't simply use that item. Seems there's something special you need.

Also, what's up with the augmenting thing the blacksmith can do? It always tells me I can't do it.

Your questions are related, actually. You need to give certain blacksmiths certain items before they can perform certain augmentations on your weapons, lightning being one of these augmentations.
After augmentation, weapons can be reinforced as normal, the only difference being which types of titanite are used for upgrading.
Also, you can't really "miss" what to give to who, since the blacksmiths ask you straight out for those items when you get them.

Drake Sword will suck later on, so the earlier you can start upgrading another weapon, the more comfortable you will be with it when it inevitably overtakes the Drake Sword. Plus it's so boring!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

The Doomhammer posted:

It's always nice when people appreciate your hard work. I helped someone take out Quelaag, managing to take no damage in the process. A few moments after returning to my world I got a message: "Thanks for not being retarded i love you."

Warms the heart.

Good coop is frankly heartwarming in a way that I've never seen in a game before.
I met the same guy maybe five times while I was trying to get the Moonlight Greatsworf, we sort of took turns summoning each other. He was going for the sword as well, and had to black crystal me out one time, politely explaining why in a message.
So when I finally got the tail with his help, I immediately boned back to the Archive bonfire and threw down my sign. Sure enough, he summons me straight away, and we proceed to wipe the floor with that slimy motherfucker, both of our int builds subjecting him to a barrage of sorceries, taking his tail in the process.
After I fade from his world he sends me a message saying "Best. Coop. Ever."

Praise
The
Sun
\:c00l:/

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have the black gold rimmed ones. I mean the robes that look like the one the dude who gives you the pyro glove wears.

Down in the Blighttown swamp, more or less straight across from the bonfire.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Ezzer posted:

Everyone has fairly high failure rates for summoning. Just keep trying is all you can do.

And I think I ran into a bug in duke's archives, possibly? Unless Gwyndolin's empty health bar supposed to appear on my screen for no reason? http://puu.sh/11U3A

Gwyndolin's had enough and is going after sinners PERSONALLY. God that would own.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
welp

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Right now the archers at Anor Londo are holding onto 22 humanity and 100k souls for me and I'm tempted to just walk off a cliff when I get back to the bonfire so I just don't have to worry about it any more. Wish I had remembered all those posts I read about how easy that part is.

Now that I think about it that whole system is really ingenious/evil. The game always gives you more resources than you can spend and you reach a point where you can do nothing but press onward into the unknown and risk everything you have.

Remember that rings of sacrifice keep your soul stain intact if you want a couple of attempts to get it back.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Lordpen posted:

Don't forget the dusk crown ring!

On a melee build!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cowcaster posted:

I got one of these on one of my many trips through the Undead Parish to visit my bro Andrei and I don't even want it :getin:

Sunbro/Invade and give it to the first guy you see with a non-BSS dex weapon!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cowcaster posted:

Hey, hey guys did you know that gold idiot with the spectacles shows up in the aqueduct near Firelink Shrine. Hey, did you know he sells the master key?? Yeah... yeah that's pretty cool. I'm pretty cool.

You know what else he sells? No? Well check back with him later, because there's a 2 in 2 chance of it being pretty amazing.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cowcaster posted:

Is it ice cream? Because at this point I need some ice cream.

You want to go check in with him right now. It's better than ice cream.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

NeilPerry posted:

I've got 30 000 souls, and am aiming to get about 100 000 in the next couple of hours doing the Iron Golem. What can I do with them? I'm Strength/Faith based and level 40. I'm using a Divine Zweihander and am aiming to only use heavy weapons that scale with my Faith. I know I could level myself up a bit but I don't want to level too quickly while I'm still Sunbroing. So hey, what the hell do I spend it on?

Upgrade your armour/shield? You can get large shards from the steel armour guy in the tower in Sen's, if you're missing those. Are you loaded up on attunement/miracles?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dickeye posted:

So it turns out that with the Zweihander +3, Sunbro, and Lautrec, the bell gargoyle fight takes all of thirty seconds.

Radical!

On my latest playthrough I was rocking a black knight longsword +3 at that point. I'm sure I baffled the dude I summoned to help me with the gargoyles when I battered both of them without taking a hit in about a minute flat. Easiest humanity that guy ever earned.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Shima Honnou posted:

Well that settles it, I'm now shutting the doors behind me any time I invade in Anor Londo from now on.

Can you close the gate to the giant blacksmith as well, forcing people to go through the archers again?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

gibbed posted:

The hunt for cut content! :toot:

There's a model for a cut badass looking boss with golden armor who looks a bit crazy. His armor seems like it's darkwraithy so he's possibly the darkwraith boss mentioned in cut Ingward dialogue. Until I get my model viewer working I can't really show his model

The model files for the player obtainable version of the armor are still in the game, unfortunately not for the sword he wields.

The internal developer name for this boss is 不死王ジャ=イール, if anyone reads Japanese and is willing to translate (Google Translate nets "Ja = eel king immortality").

Oh my god that's siiiiiick. Kind of has that hoary look of the various chaos beasties, or the firekeeper souls. Love the look of this game, even the cut content is amazing!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Cowcaster posted:

I feel like a broken record at this point but any post saying a controller is absolutely necessary for this game needs to be marked with an orange soapstone Be wary of Liar.

Try holding with both hands :smug:

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Barudak posted:

Feasibly, it could be set anywhere else the giant trees reach. Ash Lake posits the world as being gigantic and the the game itself references eight or so kingdoms you never travel to or see.

And if you subscribe to the crazy people theory its a linked universe with Demon's Souls.

Wasn't there already some speculation that this was the case, based on the developers copyrighting some foresty name or something?
"Dark Forest" or "Dark Woods" or something - am I crazy here, can someone back me up on this?

e: here we go, some ~WILD SPECULATION~: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/exclusive-dark-souls-dlc-exists-coming-soon/

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
It kind of seems like blacksmithing is a great cure for going hollow in general.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Robo Reagan posted:

What's up with these white circles I keep seeing on the ground? It's started putting one over my healing spells when I'm near one as well.

That's a clue! It's miracle resonance from someone casting a miracle in another world. Makes the circled miracle stronger.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
It's kind of sad in a cute way when you get summoned by someone who doesn't know the deal with Seath's fight and is fighting him for the first time.
I stood around by the crystal, beckoning him for a bit while he pounded away ineffectually at Seath. I took pity on him and smashed it in the end, but I don't think he learned anything!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Mzbundifund posted:

Is it really a persecution complex if you are literally actively setting him on fire?

Well you're clearly not bigoted against it if you're using it to light up his ratty robes.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Alabaster White posted:

The Masks are pretty much the reverse of the Drake Sword/Knight Shield in that anyone who wears them clearly knows what they are doing and are probably huge cocksmokes.

On the other hand, I ran into a pair of dudes co-oping Seath in the derpiest looking combinations of Giant's armor and masks and they were the best thing ever. Looked like a pair of Muscle March escapees or something.

e: just had a great encounter in the archives, some dude summons me for Seath and is apparently trying to get a second summon, so I go out to kick over some astrolabes (as you do). Not five steps from the bonfire I spot a loving vagrant toddling around on top of the bookshelf on the left. Goofiest little motherfucker I ever saw. I get the host's attention with some Point Upwarding and we run around a bit looking at it. Eventually it trips off the edge and we gleefully murder it, but while the host is celebrating, he gets pegged with an arrow from that little crystal gently caress on the right bookshelf and dies :v:

Shanty fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 18, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FrickenMoron posted:

The stray demon buddy.

Eh, I don't know, the floor doesn't fall in on your way to the bonfire, so I've always thought of it as something you run into on the way out. He's only in danger of that when he goes back that way to leave the asylum, as a last little gently caress you. It's like halfway through the room, too, so a lot of people won't even see it as they go off towards that door on the left.

What the gently caress is up with this then:

chrisoya posted:

You know the bird drops you off and you run downhill from its nest? Well I'm not going to spoiler it, but I'll just hint that round eggs and round people aren't the only things it drops off there. It's gonna rock when Geop finds out about it on his way out. Rock and roll, as it were. Straight down the hill, gathering no moss.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

poptart_fairy posted:

So I just got invaded by someone who looked almost exactly like Nito. Now that I've stopped making GBS threads myself silly, what on earth was that armour? He resembled the Grim Reaper almost perfectly - just a giant bloody sword instead of a scythe. I thought it might have been the Death Mask at first, but that doesn't have a cape attached to it, let alone a fullblown cloak.

Could have been gold-hemmed, that's pretty bulky and cloaky.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Shima Honnou posted:

The solution for Crystal weapons is either "Just say no", or only take them to +4 unless you really want an achievement.

Then once it gets ready to snap at +4, just take it back down to +10 then go to town once more.

The problem inherent with it is that you don't get much of a damage boost doing that. Crystal +3 is equal to Standard +15, and unless you waste a slab, you only squeeze out a couple points of damage from +4 over a +15. You're better off eating the damage difference and keeping Standard.

Generally speaking, I see more of a use from going Raw than Crystal. At least with Raw, you get a tiny bit of spare damage over going +10, even with the lower scaling it might serve you a bit well up until the Very Large Ember. You just have to be willing to drop twice the Large Shard investment on it, but I can see the use for it. Mostly.

What about for shields, though. That gives you maybe three or four extra stability, poo poo, the tower shield can hit a full 90 stability. That's more than the Greatshield of Artorias!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

FrickenMoron posted:

It's terrible. It's much slower than the BK Sword at roughly the same damage.

Like the sword, though, it'll carry you through the game without much hassle if you do stick with it. If you don't mind trading your swing speed for hitting like a mid-size truck, go for it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

WalterSholomon posted:

I found me a friendly little buddy on my second run through the painted world. :3:

Use undead rapport on him!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dreggon posted:

I wouldn't mind being gently caressed. Most people I invade tend to try their best to gently caress me up as much as they possibly can, even if all I want is to do flips and get free humanity if they die to an enemy.

Hah, I really like this. This is what Gravelord Servants should have been, just a spectator mode where you can ghost around as an untouchable phantom basically betting against the player you invade. There could even be a set of monster-buffing miracles or something instead of black phantoms!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

So im new to Dark Souls; started as a warrior, punched the Asylum Demon to death, and have rung the first bell. Im looking to do a strength focused build but i'm not too sure on what to do statwise, could I get some advice on how to build my character?

As you find different weapons, check out how they compare to whatever you're running around with currently. If you're going for big, smashy strength stuff, you're looking for stuff that has good scaling with strength. This is indicated on the weapon's details screen as a beefy arm with a letter next to it. The higher up the alphabet the better.
You're also looking for weapons with a move set you feel comfortable with. Like, do you prefer the chainable slashes of the longsword to the slow bashes of the mace or whatever.
Most importantly, does the weapon look boss as gently caress?
If you've found a weapon you like, look at the requirements and beef up your stats to meet them. It's likely you'll have to invest in a bit of dex for most things.

Then realize that you're carrying a huge fuckoff weapon and are therefore moving at a turtle's pace. This should inspire you to put on the biggest suit of armor and shield you can find, which in turn makes you slower. So you'll want to invest in endurance, which is cool anyway because you get to swing your weapon more.

Then realize the game is going to punish you no matter how good your gear is and dump a bunch of points into VIT. You might start to think "well I block or dodge most hits ANYWAY, so vit is POINTLESS!" Ignore that, it's just so good to be able to tank a few hits. You'll thank me come Four Kings.

Finally, upgrade upgrade upgrade your weapons and armor. Especially weapons (including shields). Upgrade all the time.

Have fun, be wary of sorrow, imminent comfort, amazing chest ahead.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Aladar posted:

Can you de-crystal a weapon/shield or did I just accidentally make my Grass Crest Shield worthless? :negative:

You made it temporarily amazing, eventually worthless.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Neruz posted:

Oh that reminds me, the Silver Knights aren't an enigma; they're Gwyn's Knights that stayed behind to protect the illusion Gwydolin had created when he went to link the fire (the Black Knights are the ones that went with him).

Yeah, but are they human or what? Is Gwyn? Are the witches of Izalith?
Are they like the human descendants of those wretched things you see climbing out of fire in the intro who have "found the souls of lords", or are they kind of their own thing like the dragons?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Neruz posted:

They're spirits. All of Gwyn's knights were burned into ashes when Gwyn linked the fire and reduced to empty suits of armour animated by the souls of their former wearers. Think Thousand Sons Chaos Marines.

That's why they make that funny noise when you stab them, and why Occult weapons do so much damage to them.

They bleed though. And wasn't it only the black knights that got burned? But anyway what were they BEFORE that, then? Human?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Neruz posted:

Who knows, maybe? They were the loyal knights of Lord Gwyn, that's all we know.

And no, all the knights were burned. When Gwyn linked the fire it flashed through his connection to every knight and incinerated them all (presumably he had granted them some fragment of power so they could throw lightning bolts too as seen in the opening cutscene.)

Whoa, where are you getting this? The Black Knight set kind of indicates that only the knights who followed Gwyn to the kiln got burnt.

e: fair point on the bleeding - it sure does look like blood, though!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Luceid posted:

Talk to Lautrec and cough up for his info after Rhea goes missing so you can have the satisfaction of pounding that shitbird when he starts acting like a huge creeper.

If you talk to Lautrec and you don't have the dough for his info you can cancel the conversation by walking away without hitting Yes or No, pop a couple of soul items and re-trigger it. I don't know if you can do that if you hit Yes without enough souls (or No).

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dreggon posted:

Sacrificed my precious Sunlight Maggot for the Old Witch's Ring to talk to Quelaag's sister.

She thinks you're Quelaag and tells you everything will be all right now that you're here, and that "it does not hurt too terribly". And when you leave, "It was so very nice to chat."

She sounds so forlorn :smith:

That's the sound of an additional +1 on your estus! Dooooo iiiiit.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

poopcup posted:

I was sunbroing it up in New Londo and I had the oddest experience of watching the apparition figure that shows up when you're around the same spot that someone else is maintain its shape and attack my host until he died. None of my attacks would hit the guy and the host didn't seem to be able to hit him either.

I also watched a host fight an invisible bonfire keeper from new londo

Couldn't have been the Crestfallen Warrior or the sealer, could it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Office Thug posted:

Is there a way to sell excess garbage weapons/armor you get from enemies? Or do you just drop it all off somewhere?

That's what the Drop command is for, just throw it on the ground! Pretty soon, the magical litter-eating creatures that inhabit Lordran will scoop up and eat your discarded garbage. If you happen to see one, be sure and thank it for its good work, then pummel it to death and harvest the juicy humanity they convert the trash into.
Watch out, though! They shoot nasty lasers!

• Locked thread