Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

asdf32 posted:

This demands pictures.

Obviously, much smaller than the boat's we've been talking about, but I'm working my way up to something like this
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/pocketship-sailing-pocket-cruiser-kit.html
and the principles are basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iv46vi posted:

McMaster.CA a Canadian university on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Yes, in scenic, not-at-all-foul-smelling Hamilton :allears:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Obviously, much smaller than the boat's we've been talking about, but I'm working my way up to something like this
http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/pocketship-sailing-pocket-cruiser-kit.html
and the principles are basically the same.

Beautiful

iv46vi posted:

McMaster.CA a Canadian university on the shores of Lake Ontario.

Heh, that makes more sense.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, in scenic, not-at-all-foul-smelling Hamilton :allears:

Meh, they successfully killed the steel industry in the city and that was the main polluter. Harbour next to the sailing club has a nature reserve on one end and multimillion mansions on the other. Most people drive through the industrial zone on the highway and think that it represents the city.

tl.dr. I like Hamilton, lets get back to boats

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

iv46vi posted:

Meh, they successfully killed the steel industry in the city and that was the main polluter. Harbour next to the sailing club has a nature reserve on one end and multimillion mansions on the other. Most people drive through the industrial zone on the highway and think that it represents the city.

tl.dr. I like Hamilton, lets get back to boats

They shut down the paper mill here in Mobile, AL, which was blamed for the funky smell when the wind blew just the right way, but the smell stuck around....

Anyhow, this thread has inspired me to go get my father in law's Hobie 16 sailing this summer. Replaced a few parts on it last summer for him, but have only been out on it once.

Phelan
Dec 23, 2004

Rockis Dukakis posted:

Awesome boat!!!

I remember this thread I really enjoyed it. Do you have a link or any of the build pictures? I'd really like to give something like this a crack. I recall it not looking all that hard...sort of

asdf32
May 15, 2010

So here are some pictures of my work this year.

First the head which was my main project/upgrade this year. The old head and plumbing was probably original and 30+ years old. The toilet literally leaked which was not good. Removing the old was sort of gross at times but overall pretty easy. Although as is common in boats access was bad - to unbolt the old toilet I had to hole saw access holes into the front of the platform it was on. To install the new one I drilled and tapped the fiberglass to avoid having to fish nuts back into the holes.

Sometimes I've found hoses and fittings to be the most frustrating things to work with but for this job everything went surprisingly easily. The 1.5" sanitation hose is pretty drat expensive at like $9 a foot (24' total) but it's not worth cheaping out.

The system is pretty simple. Seawater goes into the toilet to flush, then from the toilet to the holding tank. The holding tank has a manual pump out (yellow pump) and a hose that goes to the deck for a marine pump out station.

It's not quite done. I'm going to fasten the hoses to the hull to bring the vented loop a little higher (vented loops bring the hoses above the waterline to prevent water backflowing into the boat and sinking it if the pumps malfunction and the seacock is left open. There should really be one on the seawater line and probably the one shown should be somewhere else but it's worked for 30 years and this is by far the easiest place to put it ). Also I'm hoping to find space to add a strainer for the black hose carrying seawater in to flush - if marine life gets into the holding tank bad smells result.

Then on the stern deck I removed all the hardware for rebedding. The previous owner had put gobs of ugly grey silicon (silicon is sort of good but can cause some issues for the future, some people avoid it). I was expecting to find a lot of damage in the area but luckily I didn't. In the picture below the near side hole has some delamination (fiberglass seperated from the plywood core) but it was otherwise dry. I injected some epoxy in there, then ground out as much plywood core as possible and caked in very thick epoxy to perminently seal off the plywood core from the outside world. Also it stiffens up the deck. The second picture shows the epoxy seal.

The holes for 1/4" hardware get overdrilled with 5/16, then the core is ground out as possible, then they're epoxy filled and redrilled with 1/4". I use stuff called butyl tape for all deck sealing. It's basically a roll of grey gunk that's like chewing gum consistency. It's permanently sticky and flexible so even as things move and flex over the years it still seals. It's not that common but comes highly recommended from the people that use it (and some high end boat yards use it as well).

Also seen in the picture is the state of the deck paint which is fair to poor (although in project mode with tools and junk around everything looks bad, when it's done and cleaned up it's ok). This is honestly one of the worst things about the boat. It would either take 100's of hours or ~$10k+ to properly strip, prep and refinish properly. A bad paint job on a boat deck is a bad thing. On the other hand it's purely cosmetic so I try not to think about it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just to be clear, operating procedure when at sea is to pee directly into the ocean, right? I can't imagine owning a boat like that and doing otherwise.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Just to be clear, operating procedure when at sea is to pee directly into the ocean, right? I can't imagine owning a boat like that and doing otherwise.

For males absolutely. Though I go below if its broad daylight in the busy harbor. Females on the other hand want a toilet and that's its primary use. Because it doesn't get use much I admit to just pumping the tank overboard.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Just don't pee into the wind. Or the direction of travel.

Add me to the list of people who want to buy a similar boat. I learned to sail on my grandfather's Rozinante(not his but identical), and have wanted a boat ever since. Unfortunately I live in Pittsburgh, which isn't terribly conducive to sailboat ownership.

Once I move and get space for a project, I want to build a Duck Trap Wherry...but I'll settle for fiberglass for now.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

To follow up on the bathroom post this is a picture of the cabin that I meant to post earlier. This picture can be misunderstood if the scale isn't clear. The headroom is 5'8" at the peak and probably 5'4" in most areas. The head is forward and to the right and it's fully enclosed when not in use but to use it you open the door and latch it so it divides off the main cabin from the forward cabin and v-birth. Your feet are in front of the serial number in the picture and there is barely room to sit. It's basically impossible to use standing up as you might be inclined to do, I've resigned to sitting down at all times. So yeah, while it's great that it's there, the head is to be avoided.

That said the cabin is pretty comfortable for sitting or sleeping overall. The cushions are great and someone in the past made that nice red sliding seat so you can sit facing forward or back to do work. The cushions on the right and left are 6"6" running behind the camera and under the cockpit seats so they're fine for sleeping. The V birth it tricky to get in or out of but once there it's comfortable and about as wide at the widest point as a full bed - two people is no problem. On the right (starboard) is a built in cooler, which is solid insulation and maintains 2 bags of ice for a 2-3 days +. Across from the head is a "hanging locker" for general storage, nominally for hanging wet gear. The sink is attached to a flexible water bladder that can hold 15 gallons (I had to remove the original tank which broke) and drains straight into the ocean. This general layout is pretty common in boats this size although more often the galley is aft.

I upgraded to the two nice LED cabin lights (LED lighting makes a huge difference on power consumption) and the lantern on the left and made the blue cloth shelf/pouch things.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Awesome thread! Takes me back to my childhood.

My parents had an O'Day 222 (22' sloop). We used to sail most weekends and raced in regattas on the Mississippi River.

That's a great looking boat. I remember when I was a kid a couple docks down a guy had a brand new Hunter 26 that was just beautiful and I wanted it!

Great job so far and good luck getting her, and yourself, seaworthy!

SiB
May 6, 2005
Anybody keep track of the Americas Cup? The new AC72's are rediculous (72 foot hydrofoiling catamarans that go over 40kts).

Watch this video (in HD)...
http://youtu.be/Y6dnOlE9sjk

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Future sailboat owner reporting in. I love this thread, and I can't wait to start adding my own updates.

Right now I'm living vicariously through a friend that bought a Cat 22' a couple months ago. It was a little dinky, but he's quickly gotten it into great shape.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

SiB posted:

Anybody keep track of the Americas Cup? The new AC72's are ridiculous (72 foot hydrofoiling catamarans that go over 40kts).

That looks utterly unreal... so very, very cool.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

That looks utterly unreal... so very, very cool.

They are rediculously cool. On a related note here is a video of multi-hulls capsizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk4D-GlUgE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SiB posted:

Anybody keep track of the Americas Cup? The new AC72's are rediculous (72 foot hydrofoiling catamarans that go over 40kts).

asdf32 posted:

They are rediculously cool. On a related note here is a video of multi-hulls capsizing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvk4D-GlUgE

...And here's an AC72 capsizing.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
It absolutely will not stop raining so I can take my boat out. :( The weather here has been miserable for weeks, it's been storming unpredictably with wall-to-wall small craft advisories every damned weekend. Supposedly it's going to break by this Saturday, but the forecast is still for rain on the holiday. If it doesn't rain on the Fourth, though, I'm taking my boat out to the harbor to watch the fireworks. I'll take some updated pictures of her too, I haven't gotten a lot done in the past few months because of Mom's health, but I've made some progress.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hi boat thread! I'd love to own a boat, but I want to test the waters first. I don't have space to store a boat on a trailer (though I have a truck to pull it with), and I don't want to commit to slip fees and maintenance until I'm sure I want to own a boat. I assume this is the best place for general sailing questions?

I sailed some as a kid (I have the sailing merit badge :haw:) and I have a boating license in PA. I'll start by renting a day sailor at a local lake, but then I'd like to a) rent a 22+ foot boat in the Philly area for a day, and b) rent a similar sized boat for a few days and try overnighting. Does anyone know of a good boat rental place in the Philly area?

For option B, I'm willing to travel anywhere in the world - Mediterranean, Carribean, New England, Norway - Any suggestions there? Maybe split that into B) one night overnight somewhere on the East coast and then C) several days somewhere awesome?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Erwin posted:

Hi boat thread! I'd love to own a boat, but I want to test the waters first. I don't have space to store a boat on a trailer (though I have a truck to pull it with), and I don't want to commit to slip fees and maintenance until I'm sure I want to own a boat. I assume this is the best place for general sailing questions?

I sailed some as a kid (I have the sailing merit badge :haw:) and I have a boating license in PA. I'll start by renting a day sailor at a local lake, but then I'd like to a) rent a 22+ foot boat in the Philly area for a day, and b) rent a similar sized boat for a few days and try overnighting. Does anyone know of a good boat rental place in the Philly area?

For option B, I'm willing to travel anywhere in the world - Mediterranean, Carribean, New England, Norway - Any suggestions there? Maybe split that into B) one night overnight somewhere on the East coast and then C) several days somewhere awesome?

I think most cities have local sailing clubs but it will vary. Although rental prices are pretty high. A just checked a local club and it's $275/day for a 26' boat rental. You might just want to look into a club in philly for a season.

For exotic locations search for charters. In the carribean it might actually be less.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I know of people who essentially buy shares of a boat. You might buy a quarter of a boat, and pay a quarter of the upkeep. Of course, then you only get to use it a quarter of the time. If you don't sail too frequently, and are with a group that are pretty flexible on way they want to sail too, it can work out pretty well.

Of course, test the waters first, as you plan on doing. I just wanted to mention a possible alternative to owning a whole boat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My retirement plan is to buy a worn down bluewater trimaran in the next 10 years, spend 10 years fixing it up, sell everything I own and sail off into the sunrise towards the caribbean and never look back.

Luckily the wife is onboard with this plan.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nettle Soup posted:

This is a good book if you can find a copy of it. Sailing round the world over two years, it kept me reading and it's one of those books I still sometimes find myself thinking about.

I just got done reading this a week ago on your recommendation and it was excellent. I couldn't stop reading it and was sad when it was over. I've wanted to sail since I was a little kid and that book rekindled the yearning. You can add me to the buying a boat sometime soon club in this thread. Hopefully I can afford one this year at least enough to get it to my house so I can work on it without paying mooring fees until I'm ready to use it. Plus there is the whole "don't know how to sail yet" thing but luckily one of my goon friends does and can teach me.

Bonestructure, sorry about your mom. I have been through that with my mom and its terrible and I miss her a lot all the time. I do love your avatar though :3:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Another small sailboat owner checking in. I picked up this sailboat from a family friend who decided to just hand it off to me, since he hadn't used it in years. I'm still very new to sailing, but know enough to where I can go out for a bit and come back to the exact same spot, which is enough for now :v: The boat is probably 12 feet long with an 18 foot mast, mainsail/jib setup, detachable rudder and a retractable centerboard. I rigged it up on the trailer before my maiden voyage with it just to make sure everything was on there/functional, here's a pic:

Action pic:

It's plenty for me right now, I just take it out on a lake. I live down near the coast though, and seeing people with their sailboats out on the intracoastal waterway and out in the ocean makes me jealous as all hell :( I can't wait to upgrade to something larger in a bigger playground, sooner or later.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

Another small sailboat owner checking in. I picked up this sailboat from a family friend who decided to just hand it off to me, since he hadn't used it in years. I'm still very new to sailing, but know enough to where I can go out for a bit and come back to the exact same spot, which is enough for now :v: The boat is probably 12 feet long with an 18 foot mast, mainsail/jib setup, detachable rudder and a retractable centerboard. I rigged it up on the trailer before my maiden voyage with it just to make sure everything was on there/functional, here's a pic:

Action pic:

It's plenty for me right now, I just take it out on a lake. I live down near the coast though, and seeing people with their sailboats out on the intracoastal waterway and out in the ocean makes me jealous as all hell :( I can't wait to upgrade to something larger in a bigger playground, sooner or later.

Awesome. That's the ideal size boat to learn on and a ton of fun. Do you know what model it is?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think it's an O'day, though the little info plate in it said "Holt/Allen, England" so I'm not entirely sure. It's a fun piece of kit that doesn't cost anything to take out for a spin in the lake, it's just too tall to go under some nearby power lines and getting the mast vertical/inserted into it's little boot is a little bit of a pain on a non-flat boat ramp. Definitely manageable for one person, though :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

It looks like an O'day Widgeon. My parents had one when i was very young.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My retirement plan is to buy a worn down bluewater trimaran in the next 10 years, spend 10 years fixing it up, sell everything I own and sail off into the sunrise towards the caribbean and never look back.

Luckily the wife is onboard with this plan.

FYI, inspired by this thread I've started one in Ask/Tell about my wife and I selling everything and moving onto a 41 foot catamaran. Stop by if you have any liveaboard questions...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565378

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Erwin posted:

So having thought about this more, here's my current plan. Of course I'll change my mind again in a week, but let's go with it for now:

1) I'm going to take an ASA101 course. Basically it's two days on the water for $380 in a 22' boat, which is the same price I'd pay for two days in a sunfish at a local state park. And then I walk away with a fun cert.
2) I think I'll buy a boat. Something in the 22-25' range. Rentals are expensive, and charters of bigger boats are expensive and require down payments. I have a truck, and I can park the boat in my driveway to get it ready while looking for places to store it.
3) If I really like it, I'm golden. If not, I can resell the boat, and my guess is that I can sell it for close to what I buy it for.

So, my questions:
-Is the fall a good time to buy a used boat, so I can get it ready over the winter? Or is there no good/bad time to buy?
-Is trailering the boat a pain in the rear end, as it relates to putting it in the water and getting it out? I like the idea of renting a slip and being able to go down and use it whenever, but I'm on the east coast and it'd be nice to be able to trailer it to different starting points. Does it take more than 30 minutes to put up the mast and put the boat in the water? Will I be less likely to go sailing on any given day because it's not as easy? It'd also be nice to save $3000/yr or whatever on slip fees.
-Is my guess about the boat holding its value correct? Since I'd buy something from probably the mid-80s, it won't be much older if I were to sell it in a year or two. Plus, I'll probably have fixed any problems it had.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Erwin posted:

Plus, I'll probably have fixed any problems it had.

Hah, as if the problems stop coming! :v:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Erwin posted:

So having thought about this more, here's my current plan. Of course I'll change my mind again in a week, but let's go with it for now:

1) I'm going to take an ASA101 course. Basically it's two days on the water for $380 in a 22' boat, which is the same price I'd pay for two days in a sunfish at a local state park. And then I walk away with a fun cert.
2) I think I'll buy a boat. Something in the 22-25' range. Rentals are expensive, and charters of bigger boats are expensive and require down payments. I have a truck, and I can park the boat in my driveway to get it ready while looking for places to store it.
3) If I really like it, I'm golden. If not, I can resell the boat, and my guess is that I can sell it for close to what I buy it for.

So, my questions:
-Is the fall a good time to buy a used boat, so I can get it ready over the winter? Or is there no good/bad time to buy?
-Is trailering the boat a pain in the rear end, as it relates to putting it in the water and getting it out? I like the idea of renting a slip and being able to go down and use it whenever, but I'm on the east coast and it'd be nice to be able to trailer it to different starting points. Does it take more than 30 minutes to put up the mast and put the boat in the water? Will I be less likely to go sailing on any given day because it's not as easy? It'd also be nice to save $3000/yr or whatever on slip fees.
-Is my guess about the boat holding its value correct? Since I'd buy something from probably the mid-80s, it won't be much older if I were to sell it in a year or two. Plus, I'll probably have fixed any problems it had.

The market for these types of boats is a buyers market. Any time is a good time to buy basically. You should be looking at <$3000 and will see lots of decent boats. Craigslist is the primary place to look obviously but you could also drive around and look at marinas clubs and boatyards. Buying a boat in the fall and cleaning/fixing it over the winter sounds like an excellent idea.

One thing you might not know is that fiberglass decks almost invariably have wood sandwiched between fiberglass in the construction. Wet/rotted deck core is a major issue which you might miss on an older boat. Pound around on the decks looking for soft spots.

Note that going smaller in this size range won't necessarily save you money up front. There is an interesting dynamic where small boats hold their value because they are less of a liability in terms of trailering/maintenance/slip fees.

And yes, when you buy a boat at these prices it's already lost all the value it's going to lose. If it still floats and you keep it clean you'll be good.

I don't have experience trailering but I think it's safe to say that 30min is the realistic minimum to launch a boat. And obviously if its on a slip you'll be more likely to use it. Don't underestimate the appeal of just going down to the dock and hanging out on a nice night. This is sometimes a very cheap alternative to a night at the bar. I you use the boat to replace some existing hobbies $3000 (also there will be slips for less than 3k) a year may not be very significant.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This seems to be the unofficial SA sailing thread.

We are doing our very first Harvest Moon Regatta, a sort of 200 boat race cruise down the coast of Texas from Galveston to Corpus Christi. Well, this is my third event, but the captain's first.

Any goons done anything similar?

Rebuilt a marine head two weekends ago, sadly I do not have pictures to share... after rebuilding the entire thing, turns out the newly installed through hull had the clog, everything else was squeaky clean.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Marine heads are the worst. I just buy the cheap Jabsco one and replace the entire pump as a unit when it craps out. No more crusty pee build-up for me.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Sad news (for me, anyway); because of ongoing health problems in my family, I had to sell my Hunter 22. I never got any farther on with restoring it. But I'd be glad to leave the thread open as the general catchall sailing thread, I still enjoy reading it and keeping up with everyone else's projects. And one day I will own another boat. :colbert:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Sorry about the family troubles, man. That really sucks.

Maybe a mod can rename and move it to AI?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Harvest Moon Regatta went great, basically hauling rear end down the Texas coast for 150 miles. There's not much to take photos of 12 miles offshore...

I talked the skipper/co-captain in to buying this sail, it was $180, basically a 200% genniker that sucked for anything except direct down wind, and even then needed a whisker pole to go wing and wing. it was nicknamed "the great pumpkin", for good reason

Reaching during the first night at sunset

Aaand it turns out that a bunch of nerds in the lowest budget boat ($8000 purchase price, Dufour 31) in the fleet using the ugliest sails can actually sail worth a drat. Guy in the white hat is some random crew member we picked up to meet minimum race requirements, otherwise just some goony 20-somethings out to have a good time. Came in 2nd in our division, we certainly broke the mold from the regular yachting types.

Most of the divisions were 4 deep (4th place) but ours was only 3 deep (out of 14 boats) and we had figured we might get only 4th at best due to our inexperience and the fact that the boat is 40 years old on tired sails, so we were pretty shocked to find out we'd gotten 2nd

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Oct 20, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Congratulations! I'm keeping an eye on my local boat market, hopefully I'll have my own set of pictures when summer rolls around next year.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stuck in Galveston tonight. Shredded the main sail trying to beat 40 miles upwind in 20+ kts of wind, then had a motor failure trying to get inside the jetty, to much water in the fuel filter. Good times. :allears:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Stuck in Galveston tonight. Shredded the main sail trying to beat 40 miles upwind in 20+ kts of wind, then had a motor failure trying to get inside the jetty, to much water in the fuel filter. Good times. :allears:

Ouch. How exactly did the main shred?

Water in the external filter/strainer? At least that's hopefully a quick fix right? Original diesel engine I'm guessing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
20 knots can do that if you're not prepared for it, especially if you're getting gusts much larger than that. Did the weather sneak up on you? How much was your main reefed? Why not wait out the storm instead of trying to sail into it?

I've had a storm sail shred on us before, and we had to ride bare poles for almost 12 hours before the weather cleared up. The poo poo's made out of kevlar and the wind still tore it to pieces (a bit higher than 20 knots). Not a fun situation to be in.

• Locked thread