Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

thomas pynchon posted:

That whole DFW essay (or review, I guess, since it was just about the Updike book) is a treat. I haven't stopped calling Mailer, Roth, and Updike the "great male narcissists" since I read that.

It's not wrong, either. All of their later-year books (except maybe Mailer, who I'm under-educated with) are about old professors loving twenty-year-olds.

Bringing it back to McCarthy: I wish he wrote more non-fiction. I'd like to have a better idea of what the guy thinks of the world at-large. I know he's averse to that, but it's fascinating to think about, especially what he thinks of modern-day literature, if he thinks anything of it. He touched on this a little in an NPR interview years back (with Werner Herzog!), but, unsurprisingly, he was the quietest in the room.

Which review was this? I love me some DFW and want to read this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Blind Sally posted:

Which review was this? I love me some DFW and want to read this.

One of his shorter pieces:

http://www.badgerinternet.com/~bobkat/observer1.html

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
http://www.academia.edu/14778742/_Books_are_Made_out_of_Books_David_Foster_Wallace_and_Cormac_McCarthy_

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
The Passenger

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Is The Passenger really not coming out until a year after McCarthy dies like it says in that Youtube description? Brutal.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Wow. I am deeply uncomfortable with the idea of anticipating my favorite author's death. That is so apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There is no evidence on the Cormac McCarthy forums or anywhere else I can find of that release thing, I think "sometime in 2017" is probably a lot more likely.

• Locked thread