Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

neongrey posted:

Yeah I mean the big problem with steampunk is not that it's inherently dumb-- it's a neat combination of aesthetics when properly applied-- it's that so often it gets hideously abused and overused in ugly ways to put gears that don't connect to anything on things and so on and so forth.

Really it's well-suited to this sort of colonization game and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it.

Steampunk is dumb because "punk" fiction is supposed to be about underdogs and the dregs of society while in practice most steampunk is about fetishizing upper-class Victorians (who were neither, and also terrible people.)

All you have to do to fix it is recognize that any society built on the same model is inherently hosed up, and "Lovecraftian horrors" sounds like a pretty obvious way to suggest that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Orv posted:

Dwarf Fortress does it about as well as you'll ever find, simply through its ridiculous complexity. That's not to say it's easy to control mind you. Also the collision physics between body-parts and weapons can sometimes be a bit off. :unsmigghh:

The trouble is that for an RTS combat system to be good, it pretty much has to demand your full attention -- and then some, even, there has to be so much to do that you're forced to prioritize. That's all well and good if you're playing StarCraft or something else that plays in short, discrete, and focused sessions, but it sucks if you try to jam it into a persistent city-builder where games can last for hours.

Either you have combat going on all the time and have a divided game trying to compromise between two different paces of gameplay at the expense of both (SoaSE) or you have a city-builder where you're periodically interrupted by a quasi-separate game mode (Caesar, Pharoah, etc.) The second option is probably the better of the two, but realistically one mode is going to get prioritized over the other, and the neglected one is naturally going to feel lovely and half-finished when there are whole games dedicated to just that kind of gameplay with no compromises or distractions.

DF gets around it by being real-time with pause and by making the primary factor in combat how well-trained and equipped your dwarfs are*. It's not a perfect solution, but it's fairly elegant in that it doesn't even try to be an RTS and just makes combat a largely hands-off demonstration of the persistent RPG/builder stuff.

*Well, that and everything in DF is janky and unfinished, so you don't really notice as much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Actually, from what I understand it works exactly like what it's emulating which is precisely why electrical engineers run around recreating computers and non-technical people struggle to create a pressure pad to open their front door.

As you say, Redpower improves it by giving you pre-built logic gates instead of requiring you to learn basic electrical engineering.

Well, there would be nothing wrong with vanilla Redstone if it were just basic electrical engineering. The problem is that it's got a ton of obnoxious idiosyncracies like currents on north/south wires behaving differently than currents on east/west wires, vertical power transmission taking twice as much space or more than horizontal power transmission, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Aeble posted:

Well, I thought it was really cool when I was a kid :shobon:. I wouldn't mind the ability to make mechanical spiders.

There's a great story behind that scene, although most of the internet has already heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah good steampunk shouldn't idealise blindly about how great empires are or just focus on the high life of an aristocratic inventor extraordinaire. There was a lot terrible poo poo that went down regarding anyone who wasn't a white man from the upper class and having these issues examined through the steampunk lens is really what I feel it should be.

Even more than that -- the label "punk" when applied to fiction means stories about underdogs, social rejects, and protagonist criminals. Without that you're just writing steam fiction, and who would admit to that? :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

EDIT: As for the people demanding total Eldritch Madness in their simulators... well, we'll see. The company game of Dominions 3 has sort of convinced me that this is a good thing, but then again I am playing LA R'lyeh. :)

Playing LA R'Lyeh is probably the most compelling argument I can imagine against implementing eldritch madness in a video game. They're not fun to play as or against.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Well, I for one really appreciate it when relatively small development teams take their time about squashing bugs before release. I could always have another round of Dwarf Fortress if I wanted a permanently-in-beta community-building/resource-gathering game with eldritch horrors.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghostwoods posted:

You don't get to spend all your time trying to identify the small cabal of traitors deliberately sabotaging your efforts.

Have you played DF within the past year or so? You pretty much just described the role of vampires (and to a lesser extent werecreatures.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

300 people is a number pulled out of my posterior; we've done it for pathfinding tests, but I have no idea what an actual cap for your subjects will be yet.

Whatever it is, please make it downward-adjustable if you can and it's practical for gameplay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Poil posted:

Sometimes I worry that my expectations for this game are going to end up impossibly high from this thread. :allears:

It's going to be poorly optimized like most city builders, the combat will be a tacked-on afterthought, the madness mechanics will be a source of constant irritation after the humor wears off in the first half hour, and since it obviously takes so much after DF the resource management will swing wildly between "trivial and redundant" and "you have to wait years for the RNG to bring merchants with the one thing you need."

Now you can be pleasantly surprised when none of these things are true. BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED, drat YOU.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Atarask posted:

Since having too much meat leads to worm monsters. Does having too much jam lead to jelly monsters?

Worse. Crumpet monsters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That is a fine and suitable captcha that cannot deceive my soft, gooey human eyes and apophenic mental processing. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Fool, you have summoned the most power force in the universe, Game Workshops Legal Department!

No, the other chaos gods. Nvining is buff as hell, he can take Michael Moorcock, probably. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

I miss every one of these too

Give it to this guy.

I'd vote for myself but I'm really picky about games and would probably sperg the gently caress out over some UI decision or the way you arranged your industry trees and decide I hated it on the spot.

unless that's what you look for in a tester

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nvining posted:

Admiral Funk and Tuxedo Catfish: Care to join us in the Pool of Fun?

Love to; what do need us to do?

(Forgive me if I'm being slow, been awake for like 20 hours.)

edit: I think I figured it out.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 5, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Orv posted:

A terrible fantasy series.

You either have bad taste in fantasy or ridiculously exacting taste in books overall.

And you're posting in the Anno: Steampunk thread so I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's the former.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Orv posted:

Actually I really enjoy his stuff, but I'm always happy to poo poo on his place names, because they are the worst.

Oh, okay, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't see how that comic is at all relevant to Early Access as a phenomenon.

• Locked thread