Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Are Megaprojects going to be mostly useless, or will they just have a huge risk-v-reward?

Also how will the various citizens actually interact with each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Zurai posted:

On the other hand, I do want it to be possible (if not easy) to get to a level that's self-sustainable. If I know that the city's doomed no matter what I do, or that I have to constantly micromanage defenses just to keep from getting overrun, that removes a vast amount of motivation to play the game and stands a good chance to ruin the fun.

Again, I'm not asking for easy-to-achieve complete and utter safety. I'm asking for at least the ability to believe I can achieve a stable state (one that doesn't require me constantly putting out literal or metaphorical fires) if I work hard enough at it.

I think adjustible difficulty is the solution. Better yet, the ability to turn on and off certain features that might be annoying or too hard for an inexperienced or causal gamer would be great.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This might have been answered earlier, but given almost everything is UML driven, like DoD, how much control would modders have over the process?

Would it mostly be tweaking numbers or adding new items, or would it be powerful enough to actually add new concepts/systems to the game simulation?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nvining posted:

General consensus around the office is that yes, your prestige will atrophy. Spend it or lose it.

Will prestige unlock anything permanent or will it be solely for one-off rewards?

Previously I had assumed it was used to unlock permanent upgrades/features, stuff like embarking with an extra civilian or having bonuses to work speed or whatever. Kind of like Age of Empires 4's home city feature, but better implemented.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I was originally sad that you don't get DF style micromanagement options until I realized how long it took before I was even able to do simple things in DF's military interface.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Honestly, while I know I probably won't be getting into the early tests, I'm glad that you seem to be targetting the right people that will give you good perspective and ideas.

That being said If you're making a list of first wave testers, I have played dredmor and df to all hell, and have modded both games, though my dredmor mods were more experimental than anything.

Also will you be continuing the development updates up until release?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
As much as the eldrich stuff excites me, I really do hope that it's not too much of a pain in the rear end to ignore it and to just focus on being the best widget producing colony if that's what you want.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'd love an invite, but would settle for confirmation that game objects are physics enabled to an extent, and/or the possibility of weaponizing your industrial inputs/outputs. I've had too much fun with the brick gatling gun you can make in gnome fortress, if I can do something similar, I will be a very happy consumer.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Oh, I thought the post your forum name thing was only for golden ticket winners.

http://community.gaslampgames.com/members/techgamer.6184/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nvining posted:

hot off the press.

Please, please tell me there will be cheesy jokes like this in-game.

e: what am I saying, of course there will be

Deki fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Aww, I was kind of hoping that there wouldn't be an NDA. At least it's not going to be too long before Early access testing right?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

nvining posted:

with mysterious multicolor snow bugs that then take out his driver stack.

... we don't even have snow yet...

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Don't forget spawning in the inky black of the void!

You are doing a very poor job of making testing not sound awesome as hell.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

LtSmash posted:

I know from my own stuff that bug hunting is mostly just pain and the naked wizards or skeletons that try and hug you to death aren't so funny when trying to make it work but really it does sound like a blast that I want to be a part of.

I tend to laugh when I find a bug like that in my own projects. At least for the first time I encounter one. When it happens again repeatedly or pops up after I thought I fixed it, then it's not so funny.

Alpha bugs can be great though, I had an inexplicable bug where in battle, AI units moving west would only moonwalk. The fix was easy, but I almost wanted to hold off on fixing it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm assuming that they're focusing a lot of attention towards each individual tester, and when the game gets to "ok, kind of sort of playable longterm", they'll let the bfloodgates open.

That being said, I'm curious if items have quality levels like in dwarf fortress, or if chairs are just chairs. Right now I think I'd opt out of most of the avoidable occult stuff once I've run it's chain of events to completion, but if an artifact would boost my Optometrist from producing Seemly monocles to Gentlemanly ones, I think I'd be more tempted to deal with the consequences.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

oddium posted:

How much of the game is occulty Lovecraft stuff, anyway ?? I'm really hoping we get the inverse of this.

I've been excited for this game since it was just a gif of a gear called Project Odin, but page after page of ham-handed Lovecraftian jokes and attempts at the style from some people here are killing it for me

While I think the Lovecraft stuff is interesting, I think I'll occasionally just want to play bureaucracy simulator.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
drat, feel kind of bad since I never bought the game, but was waiting for it to hit the point where It's development hit the point where I wouldn't regret the purchase. Dropped off my radar and welp here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Man, you've arrived at a special set of circumstances where, in the end and/or with benefit of hindsight---it is an almost 100% guaranteed lock that a (2D) Master of Magic successor, an essentially potently cursed project inherently, would've stood a better chance at running the gauntlet of madness successfully.

I don't think hindsight was really needed to see this coming though (I hoped otherwise, but like I said before, was unwilling to drop a dime until I saw the game mature into something remotely what was promised) .

Clockwork Empires is in a genre where basically every game fails or ends up mediocre and directionless, with about 10 minutes of gameplay before it gets stale . Dwarf fortress succeeds because Toady has had years and years to work on it and he doesn't worry about game engine/graphics/gui/etc beyond the very basics. Also he probably doesn't make enough income to support even a tiny game studio.

I do hope the devs bounce back, I liked them, and I think most of the mistakes in this stemmed from them not having a lot of accumulated experience in the industry. Dredmor was, programatically, a small game, and I think if they would have had more experience wrangling custom 3d rendering code they would have done better, or more likely, realized that homegrown solutions are usually not the best.

• Locked thread