Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Well fantastic. You guys have basically managed to plumb everything I've ever wanted in a management sim, and then Cthulhu. If this goes together even half as well as you're imagining, I can't imagine playing much else for a long time.

Where do you guys stand on Nerve Stapling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

Is there any example of a simulation game with combat done right? I've been playing through Pharaoh/Cleopatra lately, and for all the great city management in those games the combat is terrible.

Dwarf Fortress does it about as well as you'll ever find, simply through its ridiculous complexity. That's not to say it's easy to control mind you. Also the collision physics between body-parts and weapons can sometimes be a bit off. :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Dear Designers,

Please don't include any kind of spider as a monster, enemy, etc. It always smacks of laziness and pisses me off to no end. They're the new Crate.

Spiders made of crates?

Crates made of spiders?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure the underwater one is Bioshock :shobon:

Three of the four are BioShock. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Which Bioshock was the roaming cannibalistic cities one? Because I'm pretty sure none of the Bioshocks had any kind of police forces or working governments.

Roving cities eating each other was the not-BioShock one, actually. BioShock 1 (or was it 2?) had a police state in place before you showed up for a little while, according to audio logs. Though less actual police and more "the people with guns run poo poo".

nvining posted:

... it's mainly about hats, actually.

Isn't it always?

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 7, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I still want to know about the flying beacon of progress and the roving cannibalistic cities, though!

Columbia, the new city in BioShock Infinite, is a flying city that was a technological marvel and lead to the progression of technology for America. Of course, it's now torn in two (metaphorically) by rival factions, one of which is superjingoist and the other which is more accepting of minorities.

Infinte's timeline, kinda spoilery.

E: Roving cannibalistic cities I can't comment on.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 7, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dreadwind posted:

Well I at least hope they demand funny things from you, like a clockwork nanny because their kids dare talk to them. Just realized I want a steampunk Mary Poppins, hopefully no malfunctions occur :ese:

Five minutes of breathable air in a bag of holding. :unsmigghh:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Thereby proving that San Francisco always has been and will always be the coolest city.

Anyway, thinking on how CE seems to be so heavily invested in the eldritch side of things, I was wondering about the possibility of a pseudo fail state. Naturally when the Hideously Powerful and Excessively Aged Things rise from the sea it all goes to poo poo, but what about a less ruinous incursion of spooky poo poo? What if it can all go spectacularly right, and you end up running some kind of crazy necropolis of eldritch mutants and wee vile beasties? Business continues as usual, but weird tech options start opening up, and the entire off-map world goes hostile to you because holy poo poo your people tried to eat our caravan with beaks.

Probably not feasible to include in the initial release (if at all!) but it seems like it'd make a cool expansion. Why fear R'yleh when you can run it?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shadowmorn posted:

Sir/Ma'am, this is the best suggested idea ive heard in this thread so far. Running Y'rleh (im respecting copyrights! :downs:) into the ground could be something i get endless hours of enjoyment out of.

Heh, sir, but thank you. I was just using "running R'yleh" for the tone of the idea. To be honest the eldritch stuff on hand in CE seems a lot more involved and worrying so far, so they could do some pretty great stuff. Running a colony of psychic obelisk people, for instance. What once might have been a simple bar fight turns into a crazy mind duel that flattens half the town and makes people explode.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 28, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ceciltron posted:

We don't have a fair use law. Our copyright laws are actually almost harsher, but the only difference is they're not enforced consistently.

Now do you mean 'enforced' or do you mean 'abused'?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, fair enough. American copyright law is just a circus at this point.

And nvining, I'm not saying it has to happen, it'd just be cool. :)

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

... what he said, although I've never understood the etiquette behind when it is, and is not, appropriate to create a new thread for things.

Every 2,000 posts or 5 bans, whichever comes first.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

There is, of course, other stuff, and balancing will be an ongoing thing. I hope you are all looking forward to Terrible Betas.

Around Christmas last year I thought "2013 is going to be a great year for games!" I've come to realize, no it isn't, it's going to be a miserable, horrible wait for all the incredibly promising games that were Kickstarted and started being produced by various indie studios.

Q1 2014 is going to be a great year for games. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

We're still planning on having things done before Q1 2014.

Oh yeah, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying to break your game, but I've finally run into the problem I've been having with book series for about a decade now. All these great things to look forward to, so far away. Though to be fair I thought Halloween 2011 was about a week before 2012s, so maybe I won't notice the wait. :shepface:

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

By "horrendously overpowered" do you mean "indiscriminate"?

Provided they discriminate towards random electrocution.

And you can mount them on aurochs.

E: That's a thought. How far into weird steampunk are you going? Are we talking giant mechanical tanks/spiders, etc, or more mundane stuff?

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 4, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nvining, I demand the ability to replicate the entirety of The Prestige within your video game. :rolldice:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

...and said that he could split the world in two "like an apple" with just enough dynamite in strategic positions.

But then which of us hasn't on a bad enough day?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Team Edison 4 lyfe.

Good to hear on the wacky stuff front.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just want to be clear that was for dramatic tension. :ohdear:

Orv
May 4, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

There should be a way to 'donate' a dead Colonist body to the University or Doctors to help things out medical wise for the rest of the colony. Like we'd have room for things like 'graveyards'.

Take up good factory and Zeppelin hanger spaces.

Just fill one of the zeppelins with corpses.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I love how this genre is evolving, even for DF a bunch of modders have been working on techs like robots and automatic defences but Toady hasn't been very good at making stuff like this easy.

Has anyone played The Guild? There were two games in the series along with a pirates expansion and while the game was pretty complicated and buggy I had a lot of fun with it. You could run various businesses, get married and educate your children etc. One of my favorites was creating a crime family in a major city and put pickpockets everywhere, then strongarm myself into the gold mines with my ill gotten gains. It also had legitimate business but crafting was way too complicated and setting up chains was a pain in the arse.

The Guild (both 1 and 2) are great games, but they both suffer from the same problem that eventually you get so powerful you need all your opponents room to expand. Unfortunately this takes goddamn forever because getting rid of opponents soldiers/carts/buildings is a hideous process. I don't think I've ever completely won a game of 2, they were all sort of moral "I have more money than god, go gently caress yourself" victories.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think it was Adam Sessler that said the video game industry promotes functional alcoholism like no other line of work. Hasn't been proven wrong yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Requested_Username posted:

Easy way to set up the Beta. Every person who wants in gets a code. In order to access the beta, you must enter 5 codes. How you get those five codes is up to you.

Probably not a great idea.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Veinless posted:

...no voting rights on creative direction.

Hell I'll give you money to make the game as long as this happens. Don't even have to send me a copy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

This is why we at Gaslamp Games can't do market research any more.

Is it because when the customer is always right there's eldritch magic involved? Two nods for cultists, one nod for unspeakable horrors from beyond the dark.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Overwined posted:

No, you're both wrong. You should render their human oils and us the oil to keep your foundries burning.

But... what if I'm already using whole orphans as fuel? Ignoring the implications of half-orphans, mind you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Chilling.

-ly efficient.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I guarantee you, sir, that my meat bricks are of the finest in the industry, dense and uniform in consistency to a degree never before seen!!

Those had better be standard issue uniforms.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know a man (I hesitate to call him a friend) who would play Grain Silo Optimization Simulator.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is he Germany perchance? They love them some overly detailed mundane simulations.

e: Apparently we don't have a Germany emote.

Belgian ancestry, but it's a few generations back. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Could someone explain what this is, please? Because I am otherwise going to assume you can train an elite squad of ghost exam supervisors to disqualify spectres from the material realm for cheating.

I won't disabuse you of that notion, but it is here that you can go to get knowledge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Holy crap that's awesome, is that supposed to be a typical game of CE?

Those were the intent (nvining can confirm/deny here) of those in-universe stories I believe. To semi-embellishedly (a word!) portray a game of CE.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

So the game is clockwork emperors of dragon pass colony now?

Why is my wallet suddenly on the desk, I don't remember getting it out...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Korak posted:

I dislike steam and rarely use it, only when I absolutely am forced to. There's still a lot of people that early steam pissed them off, even if the service seems to have improved a bit.

When in doubt, developers should provide an alternative. Especially for an indie dev that needs every single sale they can get.

The thing is, most people in the "Steam is the devil!" camp are, well, exactly that. Insane on an incomprehensible level. Steam will eat your babies, rape your family and then also ban you from the internet!

Alternatives are always good though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Enzer posted:

According to Garry Newman who attended Valve's Steam Devs Day event this week, Valve released that Steam has over 75 Million active accounts. That has got to be a lot of people living under a rock and holding onto an irrational grudge to still hate a service that was in its infancy for over a decade. :psyduck:

I think you're overestimating potential market versus the market it has actually captured. People who still think it's unusable are crazy, amongst the other crazies, but it's a very small, very loud minority.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Enzer posted:

And I think you overestimate the massive benefits working with Steam as opposed to capturing a few potential nut jobs with irrational hatred and inability to drop a grudge. Especially when working with Steam does not mean there is always DRM. :v:

I missed the sarcasm in your last post before you edited it. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will pay any of you lucky people nodollars for your stuff. Or something.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

$24.99 is beta price. $69.99 is more alpha these days.

Several of the hilariously priced alphas on Steam lately are a result of devs milking Kickstarter for alpha access, there's no reason you can't make alpha generally affordable or ever lower than your launch price.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nvining posted:

Oh, we're just pulling people from random places because we're basically just trolls.

Hey where's my invite, I gave you your first expansion pack for free. :v:

Good to see this is getting to a 'playable' place, keep at it guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
NDA enforced by dark horrors from beyond the sleep.

• Locked thread