Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I also have to say that I really like the idea of an insanity spiral vs a tantrum spiral. DF's tantrum spiral really just makes me want to slap a dwarf and tell him to man up (dwarf up?). It just doesn't feel 'right' that all these prime-of-their-life industrious people will start throwing literal tantrums because someone they know died. But the insidious encroachment of insanity makes a certain amount of (setting-appropriate) sense. Once you've lost that bit of sanity, you aren't going to get it back, at least not easily. And once you've truly gone insane, it does make sense that you'd start doing insane things.

There's really no high-level difference between the two, but the presentation of the one irks me less than the other. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

I don't want it possible to be "safe". In DF, if you scale the learning cliff enough, the difficulty PLUMMETS, and there's nothing left to do unless you deliberately play sub-optimally. So, I want there to be external forces on the game that I have to react to, or tragedy will strike. (Or perhaps I can just let tragedy strike) Some outside force should be able to engage ANY defense.

On the other hand, I do want it to be possible (if not easy) to get to a level that's self-sustainable. If I know that the city's doomed no matter what I do, or that I have to constantly micromanage defenses just to keep from getting overrun, that removes a vast amount of motivation to play the game and stands a good chance to ruin the fun.

Again, I'm not asking for easy-to-achieve complete and utter safety. I'm asking for at least the ability to believe I can achieve a stable state (one that doesn't require me constantly putting out literal or metaphorical fires) if I work hard enough at it.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Deki posted:

I think adjustible difficulty is the solution. Better yet, the ability to turn on and off certain features that might be annoying or too hard for an inexperienced or causal gamer would be great.

Yep, that's one way to handle it. And make it more granular than DF's, while you're at it; in DF, turning off invasions turns off all of thieves, ambushes, sieges, necromancer attacks, titan attacks, megabeast attacks, semimegabeast attacks, werecreature attacks, and forgotten beast attacks. The ability to pick and choose would be real nice (personally sieges bore me but the rest are interesting challenges).

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I see an AMAZING untapped market!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you cabbages, make heroin.

It certain puts a whole new twist on Cabbage Corp. in Legend of Korra.

• Locked thread