Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Wow, that whole encoggling and pipelines thing seems really complex. How's the interface going to help new players deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Okay. I am intrigued by all your descriptions of the industrial economy. But I'd like to hear more about the other side of the economy, the service economy. Do we have anything exciting there, beyond the standard stuff like cheap bars, bordellos, laudinum dens, kinetotrope parlors, untrustworthy doctors and whatnot?

Also, I'd like to hear more about this idea:

David Baumgart posted:

Along those lines, the game is fundamentally built on the design principle that the player ‘pulls’ rather than ‘pushes’ the simulation. So rather than ordering coal and ore into a smelter, you say “I want some iron ingots” then your people figure out the best way to do that with what you’ve got. (It helps, of course, if you’ve got skilled metalworkers and have built the infrastructure to support iron production.)

That sounds like a really cool idea from the user-interface end, but how's it going to work on the back-end?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

But seriously, carry on. I demand that asylums eventually become insanity bombs though.

Asylums should be architecture bombs too. As in, you start out building a plain old asylum building, and over time it procedurally adds architectural bits- like conservatories, towers, staircases, and the like- eventually ending up with your asylum having a bad case of Winchester House.

A similar life-cycle would happen for tenements, where bits of trash and the like get added on top of each other and reinforced, so that eventually an extremely large late-stage tenement block would look like the infamous Kowloon Walled City.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

So I take it the jobs dispatcher is the part of the program that makes it a pull-based economy and not a push-based one?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Can you build orphanariums or the like?
If so can you pipe orphans to the meat processing factory?
If not you should be able to.

Why would you waste a valuable labor source with unique talents, such as small fingers and disposability, on meat?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Maybe it's an elder thing version of satire.

HAhah, that's awesome.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Losing will be more fun than ever! (especially with your Escape Zeppelin standing by)

I am kind of hoping that the Escape Zeppelin has an upgrade tree, so you start out merely getting out with the shirt off your back and at the high end you bring yourself, your baggage, your small yapping dog, and your pick of a few useful highly-skilled assistants.

I also hope that there is a nice keyboard shortcut for 'pack luggage and prepare the zeppelin'.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Triskelli posted:

What the hell is Crimble, and how do you make it? I'm looking for some new recipes.

I suspect it's a fictional Horrible British Foodstuff.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Surely a dedicated and skilled chef, with the help of eldrich spices and thorough mastery of non-euclidean taste manifold theory, could find a way to improve the taste of crimble.

It's not hard to improve crimble at all!

Step 1: Make a bowl of crimble.
Step 2: Throw that poo poo out. Bowl and all, it gets into the ceramics.
Step 3: Make plain oatmeal, and call it crimble.

See?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

lizzyinthesky posted:

Dear game designers, please include a recipe section in the monolithic game manual, to answer our cooking questions.

Arcanum had a recipe in the manual. Too bad it was for banana bread.

EDIT: Oh, I came up with a good idea for what Crimble is: Lobster soup. In the northeastern U.S., lobster was peasant food for a long time. There were laws drafted to require that apprentices only be fed lobster twice a week and a (possibly apocryphal) story I heard about a penitentiary in Maine having a riot due to the prisoners constantly being fed lobster.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 5, 2012

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Shadowmorn posted:

They die inside it and now the horrors are awake, grumpy and hungry. AND the news papers are claiming their deeds to be a "heroic death", which is only making it worse because more would be heroes are coming to help and... and... :suicide:

And now you can make a fast buck selling heroism liscences and armaments. Charge the suckers for the privilege of saving your rear end.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I want to hear more about Urchins. What role will they play in the game? Are they a labor force? An undesirable element to be kept contained so the gentry and ladies can safely ignore them?

I'm thinking 'adorable mascot'.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Volmarias posted:

So, why are you focusing on the tubes? Why not just have a way for nodes to indicate what other nodes they're connected to?

I kind of like this idea. You get an abstract node map, you hook up two nodes with a connection and then the pipe is built from one node to another. There is, however, a real pipe, because the whole point of pipes is so that pipes can break and flood your town with steam, molten metal, or live chickens.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

You do have to be careful about making piping too confusing. I mean, piping is the basic logistical infrastructure of your colonies, and if your colony keeps collapsing due to the interface making it hard to just set up a god-damned bread factory (which would require pipes for water, fuel, steam, kinetic force, wheat, flour, and bread, and structure-wise a boiler, a steam-turbine, a mill, a bread factory, and a stockpile), people are gonna be pissed.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Maybe dead people. (It's a rafflesia. :ssh:)

Honestly, non-corpse eating ordinary rafflesias would be bad enough. They smell like corpses to attract flies, which in Clockwork Empires would make people unhappy and lose (a little) Sanity, and it would also attract things which are attracted to the scent of rotting bodies, which are not pleasant things.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

nvining posted:

Yes. There will be an auto-fill button for basic workshop layouts. Like DF, you'll probably still have to automatically shove additional beds into overly full tenement housing, though.

Please implement a way to save building blueprints. While it's still fun to optimize your workshops for maximum throroughput on Colony #3, on Colony #471 you just want to be able to stamp down your Perfect Optimized Crimble Factory (Small) that you've carefully crafted.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Will anyone live long enough to die of non-unnatural causes?

Given how good I generally am at this kind of game? I doubt anyone's gonna live long enough to eat all the crimble I'd be stockpiling for Cogsmas.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Obviously in an ideal world such things would never happen, but I've yet to play any kind of managment/city building game that dosen't have such fustrations pop up now and again. More control is never a bad thing, just make it so that automation is runing in the background but you can dive in manualy to smooth over the occasional hickup.

If nothing else, a 'Drop whatever you are doing and go HERE' button, combined with some form of movement that didn't need to worry about people and things occupying doorways and streets, would help hugely.

EDIT: Are we going to have to worry about producing pallets? Because last I remember, some unholy ridiculous two-digit percentage of global hardwood production was devoted to pallets and nothing but pallets, and keeping that up for your colonies in areas that aren't absolutely covered in forest seems a little hard.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 14, 2013

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I, for one, am looking forward to playing Opium Farmer Simulation 1881. (And some stuff about empires, I guess.)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

The idea of there somehow being a really janky low-quality opium substitute you can make from cabbages is... kind of appealing, but I don't think we really want krokodil.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I envision friendship, hatred, lust, love, and rivalry as separate but not entirely unrelated tracks. That way, you can have stuff like someone murdering their spouse out of hatred, then tossing themselves off a cliff because they can't live without them, or having cheating on their beloved in a purely lust-related affair, and whatnot. Also, these should be non-binary, so you can have someone be kinda bummed because their crush died, or be totally in love with someone but also kinda hate them.

Why? Because this poo poo causes procedural melodrama.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Dareon posted:

This is marvelous advice, and now I realize why Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga had a Mustache stat.

There's sort of the opposite idea in tabletop RPGs- 'The fruitful void'

The short version is, if you want to make a game about something, the absolute worst thing you can do is to make a stat for that something. See: all the (old) World of Darkness RPGs which are supposed to bring up big questions like What Is Humanity, and then put down a 'Humanity' stat on the page and a set of strict rules that define when it goes up and down, thus totally abolishing all possible questions about what humanity is and what it's good for. (Please notice that nobody has ever suggested including generic 'logistics points' in logistical planning games like Dwarf Fortress or Clockwork Empires, because that would be silly.)

Instead, what you do is, you set up a bunch of rules that work together to circle around this thematic point without directly defining it. If you've got a game where the major theme is questions of morality, you set up rules that encourage taking moral positions and holding to them, and rules that encourage pushing moral postions to the breaking point and so forth, without ever having a square on your sheet that says 'Morality: Chaotic Papist' or whatever.

I have no idea what this means for videogames, specifically, but it's an interesting idea that I thought y'all would like to read about.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Why does everyone slouch on the work party panel? It's kind of annoying.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I believe that aristocracy is supposed to be in the game at some point.

I would totally buy a Nefarious Communist Revolutionary DLC, where instead the game's inverted. You're a revolutionary who parachutes into already-established colonies. You establish a power-base, spread propaganda and discontent, eventually launch a revolution (velvet or otherwise), re-configure the imperialistic government to work towards your own ends, and fight off reconquests from the oppressors and counterrevolutionaries. And if it all explodes messily, well... there's always more colonies, right? The revolution isn't built in a day.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I don't read your forums, just all of the dev diaries. Game forums are hives of scum and villainy and attract the kind of people who go completely insane about every minuscule detail in said game.

Wot he said, guv.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Please make a event that causes the entire community to go fez-crazy, and refuse to wear any hat that is not fez, and eventually the fez madness reaches the point where they will lynch anyone who shows up who adorns their cranium with anything but a fez.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

nvining posted:

Your story of friendship touches me.

You may have an icon.

This is the best game community. :unsmith:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Murgos posted:

Particularly if the pie shop is next door to a barber?

Goddamnit, now Pirelli's Miracle Elixir is stuck in my head. I hope you're happy.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Can we spend resources on upgrades? Like, going down to the tavern and spending a bunch of pitchers of beer on Advanced Sea-Shanties to make our sailors and whalers and dock-workers happier?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

TheChad posted:

So what is in the email? :)

Nobody knows, because when you open the email cogs just spill out of your monitor until they fill the room.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

I like the icons. So is it a high-level pro strategy to stick flags everywhere like a American city?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

Same here! really, I would be happy with a half hour video of the game in its current state. just to see some buggy buggy gameplay goodness!

Usually, there's some very good reasons not to do stuff like this, PR-wise. We're a civil lot here, but there's a good number of idiots out there that would watch an amusing video of peasants stuffing cabbages into the power-core sockets and using it to run a saw who would think that a cabbage-based economy was a permanent feature of the game, and badmouth the actual game based on an extremely buggy pre-pre-alpha video.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

nvining posted:

... we don't even have snow yet...

You don't have a 1/10000 chance of a baby girl being born with snow-causing powers that accidentally go off when she feels emotional, resulting in her spontaneously becoming the Ice Queen and raining misery and cold down on the populous? For shame.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

My froth for this game continues at a steady simmer. Hey, are there any plans for DLC yet? If I may so humbly suggest: The Hat Pack, containing over 100 new hats for your citizens to envy, hate, and get in fist-fights over. (And secretly, a few new hat-related events and artifacts. Like the Mask of Off-Brand Nyharlotep.) I'd buy that for $1.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Ms Cogwhistle's MeatGears (tm), now with 20% less Orphan Meat!

(Because the colony has 20% less orphans this year due to the founding of the cult of the Wire Mothers.)

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

LtSmash posted:

My vote is for this kind of hat but with dodos, aurochs, fishmen, and the various horrors best left unspoken.

Please cancel the game and instead just make dodo, auroch, and fishman plush hats for my hat-wearing pleasure, sirs.

Also, please add me to the list of people to attempt to test the game. My computer is crap, so you'll get some valuable data from my tales of woe from attempting to install it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Glazius posted:

Bonemeal is used to nurture saplings, turning them from useless ground decoration into proper sources of logs. You can do the same thing with sulphur fertilizer if you decide you don't like ammunition.

Gaslamp, please implement nitrate fixation in a future update!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

I just had 56 fishpeople attack my colony. They outnumbered my citizens.

:stonk: Devs implement Maxim gun plz!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Ugh. I love reading about this game, but I am chronically broke. :smith:

Devs, plz implement churches! For the sake of the souls of our cog-fearing citizens, we need good honest clergymen and women to keep them from the temptations of Sin and Drink!

EDIT: I suppose we should also implement the temptations of Sin and Drink.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

People pies confirmed.

Next step: Orphan pies

Devs plz implement barber shops and real-time beard growth.

• Locked thread