Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Iunnrais posted:

What do I want? I want plenty of interactions between systems in order to cause sundry "chain of effect" rube-goldberg situations that were unplanned.

This man knows the answer. Things like water and lava are fun to play with in sandbox games because they are a liquid system that has dynamic aspects to them. Things like cogs and factories sound like similar systems that could lead into great things (If you had complex factory connections that were moved around by a cog system, and that cog system manages to break down...)

So give us more systems. Transportation systems and Economic systems. What would be awesome? A system that creates custom inventions (see: Morrowind spell system). When one system breaks down and that effects another system, fun (or, perhaps, frustration) happen.

Also, the more dynamic a system is, the better. By dynamic here, I mean automatic adjustment to external forces. A gear system that you need to set up every gear's ratio and size is going to be a pain to put back together when it blows up. More fun may be a gear system that has some dynamic aspect to its nature so when pieces fall out the machine starts acting in unexpected ways rather than simply ceasing to work. A zeppelin system will be cooler if it automatically reacts to the weather. When systems work together, a change in one can end up effecting something unexpected.

I want my scientist to go mad from elder influence, create an invention that causes storms, that causes the zeppelin system to shut down and trade to suffer. I want my sausage machine to be struck by lightning and end up stuffing meat into pigs. These meat-bloated pigs will become insane themselves, taking to the forest and driving away land trade. With both land and air access down, and storms not looking to let ships through, I find the folly of my decision to allow the inventor to continue his work: his next invention turns the last of my metal into sand.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Oh man there's testing going on for this game isn't there. :aaaaa:

• Locked thread