Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Markovnikov posted:

Is there any example of a simulation game with combat done right? I've been playing through Pharaoh/Cleopatra lately, and for all the great city management in those games the combat is terrible.

Stronghold was good, but only for defensive/building-oriented combat. When you get down to basics, it's really a tower defense game with a complex economy. Things didn't work so well when you went on offense.

Another model that might actually work for CE is Majesty. You can build units, research upgrades, build support buildings, and so on, but the units themselves are autonomous. The player can only influence them with general orders (attack here, explore here, etc.) I also like the idea of putting various citizens in command of military units, which would influence how they behaved.

In general though, I agree with everyone else. Intensive combat in a building-oriented game is a no-no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread