Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

neongrey posted:

On the other hand, there is scientifically nothing cuter than diggles in a zeppelin with little goggles on so even if it isn't in the game, I expect to see art of it and I expect to be able to buy a print of it and I expect to be able to put it on my wall, mister. :colbert:
This is an engraving of a diggle and a diggle in a zeppelin. The diggle is striking the diggle down. The engraving is encrusted with spikes of gears and cogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Oh yeah, a thing that hasn't been mentioned at all as far as I've seen is the Settlers games. Settlers 2 is the one I've got on my mind because that's the good one, but maybe the rest of the series too. Anyway, Clockwork Empires sounds a lot like Settlers in how it handles direct control of workers and soldiers. Are you guys inspired by Settlers at all?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

The Easy Rider posted:

Awesome, thanks for the tip! The sequel seems to be on Steam; is it equally good? If not, where can I find the original?
I don't personally know if the sequel's any good since I only ever tried the original, but you can get the original on Good Old Games: here.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

These recent posts on the devblog that are more like stories than just development information put me in the mind of the Welcome to Night Vale podcast. nvining, are you listening to that? If not, I think you should check it out.

Also agreeing with the people saying that the blog posts are interesting enough to warrant the price of admission in themselves.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

I'm starting to get worried as gently caress about biting off more than you can chew. I can understand a decision between sustainable and slash-and-burn agriculture, but actual crop rotations and micromanaging the seeds you want to plant? Are you sure you want to keep this?
As stated in the comments:

David Baumgart posted:

I’ll say, if we did implement crop rotation the player would absolutely not have to designate each rotation by hand — it’d be more like you tick a ‘rotate crops’ box. Or, even, you’d have to untick it if you badly wanted to run some monoculture cash crop.
That doesn't sound overly complicated to me. Hell, that was a feature back in Age of Empires 2, no reason not to do it here.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

It's possible that it was introduced in the expansion, I don't exactly recall. I do know I could set farms to automatically be replanted when exhausted, though.

Anyway I don't think implementing automatic crop rotation and the ability to choose between different crops is too ambitious.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

nvining posted:

It will, eventually, include friendships. Also, horrifying chains of axe-murdering rivalries.

That said, we have considered the same sex relationship situation. It's a thing that happens, about 1 in 20 people (or 5% of your population) is not straight, and nobody in the Empire thinks much of it one way or another. Which is really how it should be.
Have I said that I love you guys lately? I love you guys. Maybe one day I'll even survive past level 4 of Dredmor.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

markus_cz posted:

or will you consider it complete and reroute most of the team to create a new game (perhaps sans patches and a few smallish expansions) like you've done with Dreadmor?
I'm confused about where you got this idea, Dredmor got a lot of continued support post-release in both significant patches and meaningful expansions.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

the black husserl posted:

I know this might make most of you guys hate me, but I really hope this game doesn't come out before 2015. It's so ambitious and it could be so great, just give it time.
I just hope it comes out when it's properly done, regardless of when that'll be. Seems silly for us onlookers to try to say when an appropriate release date will be.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I'm not so hot for an early access beta, I've already gotten bored with Rimworld and that would probably happen here too. Definitely prefer to wait for the finished product.
Oh don't get me wrong, this is one game I'm bound to break my "no more Early Access purchases" vow. I just don't want a bunch of people dismissing the game at release because of any issues that might arise out of being released too early, as I know some did with Dredmor. I mean just look at the anti-Steam people posting in this very thread, essentially going "I had a bad time with Steam in the early days so now I hate it forever".

Also there's some nice art in the latest newsletter. If you haven't subscribed to those you probably should.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I really hope the Infernal Overseer is implemented.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Gyre posted:

Hey, did you guys mean to push a mac build out? I just noticed it this morning, but it just gives me a black launch screen on the config window.

I think it's because I have an Intel HD4000 GPU chip, which I just looked and realized isn't supported. Do you have any plans to? I just bought this MacBook Pro this year (before the new models came out), and it's a little annoying that I had bought a good computer only a few months ago that won't be supported when the official mac build comes out.
There are no official plans to support the Intel HD4000, which they've talked about a few times. It's just too unreliable driverwise as I understand it, so while it *might* work there'll never be any guarantee.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

nvining posted:

(On a side note, I am starting to think that we have made a really weird game.)
This is why we pay you the big bucks.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Gooses and Geeses posted:

congrats, you lovely bastards

it's been a fun ride to this point
Great job! I've been holding off on playing much before 1.0, so this is exciting!

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Hey, could I get you to post me a version of the fishperson in an intimidating hat avatar that you guys got for me awhile back? Someone seems to have misplaced it for me and I didn't save it.
You can find your avatar history here: https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=LonsomeSon

(back up your stuff)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Deakul posted:

So, it really sounds like this should have stayed in Early Access a bit longer.

Is it a financial reason to push it out even though you freely admit it's still relatively unfinished?
"When it's done" is never a good release date to aim for, that'll only lead to indefinite feature creep and a game that never reaches 1.0. Sometimes you have to just take what you've got and release it, this isn't unusual. Given how things went with Dredmor I personally trust Gaslamp to keep updating the game well past 1.0.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

nvining posted:

I think there's a lot of people out there who would like us to just remake Rimworld with Cogs on it, and are upset that it's not Rimworld with Cogs and Jolly Mr. Cthulhu. And I'll admit, I have no idea what to do about that; I can obviously fix the bugs in the game and polish everything else to a lustrous shine, and that's what I'm doing. I'm also okay with making a niche game that is different, and that maybe some people like and some people don't. But, honestly? It Is Discouraging.
I haven't put enough time into the game so far to have a very solid opinion because of issues (it crashes frequently, but so does everything else on my machine right now so that's not a problem you're responsible for), but personally I think you've got a good base going that you can build on to make a more compelling game - which, as others have mentioned, is the same thing as what happened with Dredmor. It's not the game I expected from the earlier dev logs, and that's totally fine, games change during development. I'm really looking forward to playing some more when I get my computer into a more cooperative state.

That said, what I really wanted to address was your being discouraged. I know this stuff is hard work and the game is your baby and you want people to love it as much as you presumably do, and I'd feel the same way if I'd worked on it for sure. And I really enjoy the fact that you're personally posting in this thread, but I think you might need to step back from engaging with the players for a while because it seems to be taking a heavy toll on you. Criticism will keep happening, and the tone people adopt to present it will vary wildly and sometimes be really harsh, and that's bound to feel discouraging after all your hard work. Maybe get someone else to handle communication with users for a bit? I just don't want you to burn out, is all. You guys are some of my favourite devs and I hope things go well for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

nvining's twitter profile says he "used to make games" now, so I guess this is probably pretty dead.

It's a shame, but I guess these things happen.

• Locked thread