Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'd like to throw away a year of my life just so this game will almost be out, but I guess I should spend some of that saving for a computer that will run it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Umm, so here's a stupid question for people to discuss and fight over: what do people *want* out of generational games?

The greatest thing I ever read about DF was back in the 2D version. I remember one player posting screenshots of screwing up an aquaduct system and flooding a large portion of his fortress. One dwarf was trapped on a small island that escaped flooding and went a little nuts on a steady diet of vermin and water while the player figured out how to get a bridge to the dwarf. Eventually the dwarf was freed and he raced to rejoin the survivors. Before long, he threw a tantrum, went out to the island he was marooned on, and destroyed the bridge.

We're fairly sure DF doesn't have any code for crazy river hermits. From a technical standpoint, this was probably just an intersection of the tantrum code spitting out a "destroy nearby building" result and the building removal code saying "try to stand on the <direction> side of the building first" that happened to combine in an interesting way.

I don't even know how you'd deliberately code a madness system where "crazy hermit" was one of many possible outcomes, but it sounds like you're trying.

e:

nvining posted:

(The big one is digging. It doesn't work in three dimensions. Multiple selectable height layers are a crufty, awful mess.)

Counterpoint.

Castle Story looks like a lot of fun and I'll enjoy the heck out of it... right up until the point when CE comes out.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 29, 2012

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Running a little late today, but ask and you shall receive:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/16/the-inner-secrets-of-clockwork-empires/

tag: if-you-liked-it-you-should-have-built-a-wooden-platform-under-it

:wtc:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Magrov posted:

It even makes sense in the narrative, because you shouldn't be able to call in favors just because you did something marginally useful 50 years ago.

Maybe for the short-lived humans that only experience linear time. The Squamous Crater Beasts award prestige for things you haven't done yet. Woe to those who fail to live up to their expectations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bernardo Orel posted:

You find something that looks like ancient temple. There is a big sign on the doors.
Sane scientist translates it as: Untold evil is buried here, cursed will be anyone who enters.
Slightly less sane scientist: Untold treasure is buried here and there is a light chance of catching some curse or whatever.
Not at all sane scientist: All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

Sane scientists don't believe in curses. That's superstitious rubbish the natives dreamt up to keep people away from their untold treasure.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Why not both?

In what order?

Governor's Journal, March 15 1774

After much discussion, we have finally decided upon a flag that would represent us as a province and pay suitable homage to the generosity of our corporate patron, Hormel's Finest, who generates substantial revenue through the operation of a tinnery, employs many of our workforce, and (last, but not least) owns and operates the Home for Wayward Orphans. The upper-left corner of the flag will proudly display a tin of
'Spurchin!', the lovely tinned meat product that means even the poorest citizen can afford to put meat on the table.

In other news, I have ordered that the artifact be moved from the laboratory to the sitting room of my mansion. I fear the scientists mean it harm, so it must be under my personal supervision at all times.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

I have to agree. These are entertaining, but they're also really informative on several levels while being neither skimpy nor overbearing. Just bear in mind I always love seeing blooper screenshots, such as if your models were textured with grass and the landscape with skin, because of some ordering error.

That was merely a small side-effect of the natural and health-giving energies of the monolith. The change was also a huge boon for the tanning industry; tomorrow we ship our first batch of Earthskin™ fine red leather coats back to civilization. We're even donating several of the coats to Her Majesty's army... Say, you're not wearing your coat. You do know that the law requires everyone here to wear their coat at all times, right?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Shadowmorn posted:

I love stuff like this, because its perfectly reasonable to read, but part of your mind is going "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.". :allears:

That would all change if you'd just wear your coat. Your mind doesn't actually stop screaming, per se, but your newfound clarity of purpose makes it much easier to accept that that's the way it has to be.

Just wait at least a week before you stick your hands in the pockets.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Eonwe posted:

I, for one, cannot wait to make a building out of a pallet of human flesh bricks.

Fancy a cigar while you wait?

e: Oh god, I just thought of Freud's "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Food supplies are running dangerously low. Would you like to have the orphanage produce more tinned meat product and fewer flesh bricks?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Triskelli posted:

Plus, having groups of dregs that you assign for jobs via their bosses is a masterstroke.

As long as there's a backup chain-of-command that the system can manage on its own. DF constantly ran/runs into problems with "oh, this urgent thing needs doing? Better hope the dwarf leading the squad isn't eating, drinking, sleeping, on break, etc".

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

I will note that there are a few fans of King of Dragon Pass in the office.

How many capybaras do you want to sacrifice at the whispering stelae?

You learned the secrets of "Iothoraz Drives Out The Infidels"!

Your scientists have gathered to help propel James Brasstack into the Space Beyond Geometry. 20 members of the local native tribe members who look a bit like fish have arrived to assist; the knowing grins they exchange when they think noone is looking are Nothing To Be Worried About.

What benefit does James Brasstack seek?

1. Bring back an artifact.
2. Increase factory output.
3. Cure the outbreak of Consumptive Fungus.
4. Cyberntic enhancement.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

fleshy echidna posted:

Wow this is great! Thanks for helping out, can now say my level of excitement has peaked to unhealthy levels. Also by the by how many more sacrifices to the Invisible Geometers must I make to have the beta come out? There are only so many unsymmetrical cats you know!

Symmetrical cats can be made unsymmetrical.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Grape Scissors are used for cutting grapes, of course! They're a real thing. All of the art in that post was actually remixed from an ancient book we have on Victorian Silverware and Household Goods.

I thought maybe the mustand snoot was the other correctly-named one. Salad fork was obvious.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Triskelli posted:

Perhaps the perfectly safe Steam Lorry controls work by changing the speed of each wheel akin to a tank?

If you include flesh bricks in the lorry's construction, two more levers appear on the console and the boiler converts from accepting coal to high-efficiency human teeth, as per the recent energy discovery by Dr. I. A. Bandersmoot of the Queen's Academy for Industrial Dentistry.

"At least three brickes must be used to produce the desired effectes. Do notte use more than ten, lest the lorry become self-fueling."

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2013

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Overwined posted:

*crowbar not included

It's included. All you have to do is open the crate to get it. This may require a small offering to the Perfectly Safe Geometers.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Doubtful. There are far too many practical uses for street urchins and orphans.

e: Though, if they were invulnerable, that could lead to some wonderful innovations in armoring Her Majesty's war machines.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OwlFancier posted:

I also really like the idea of a meta element to the game, so that even if you lose, losing well can still get you overall progress in some way. I loved the big unlock system they had in age of empires 3, because some of those cards had awesome abilities on them that really changed what the faction could do. Something like that would be awesome.

Haven't seen any mention of it for a bit, but there was an idea floating around about completing a game in any fashion earning you points with some of the world's political, mercantile, and/or chthonic factions, which you could then spend on unlocks or one-time bonuses for future games.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I'm starting to get requests for Christmas lists, so I figure this is a good time to ask where CE is at in terms of being a product available for purchase.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

Pre-alpha testing has commenced, and is going as badly as could be expected:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/11/23/pre-alpha-testing-has-commenced-whatever-that-is/

(Those of you in the Dredmor beta knows how this goes, except now we have video drivers to worry about.)

Mmm. Delicious tags.

quote:

Please don't file reports when the geometries are all wrong
some people just want to watch the world burn but are unable to do so due to rendering errors

PATCH NOTES 3.11
- For the last time, the geometries are supposed to look like that. It's not a bug, it really is a feature (and not the "bug we're too lazy to fix" sort of feature). Please stop reporting it or we'll club a baby seal.
- The material of the chairs laid by geese now properly updates as your colony's tech level improves.
- Citizens suffering from the effects of Theatre may spontaneously organize a song-and-dance number in the town square.

PATCH NOTES 3.12
- Baby seal clubbed. Now look what you made us do.
- Chairs may now be made from flesh bricks.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You want the Gaslamp devs to stimulate your prostate? That's what causes piss shivers.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Daynab posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/12/04/you-take-the-story-and-you-put-it-in-the-economic-simulator/
In which we debate the balance of having free time for your characters and how to handle it.

"Players don’t bank possible work like that. Well, most people. MOST people crank it up just a bit because, you know, you get more widgets, and then there’s a problem and they crank it up like crazy, and then after the problem is gone and everyone is angry and tired, players will begrudgingly lower it and just sit around waiting for their characters to have high enough spirits to lower their morale some more."

Civ 4 whip economy, explained.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

I'd love to hear some numbers from our intrepid developers as to what they'd expect regarding numbers, especially if they WILL be able to sell via Steam.

I'm at a loss to explain how you think it's even remotely possible that the designers of Dungeons of Dredmor wouldn't be able to sell their next game on Steam.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

Look, every time you try to summon a better recipe, like half of the wait staff gets eaten and so do all of the mints that say "take one." I'm not saying that we shouldn't shoot for the stars, I'm just saying when the stars shoot back for us it gets very expensive in terms of payroll and misc. expenses, and maybe you could try summoning something that understands what "one" means, whether that's "one" sacrifice or "one" mint.

Well, if we could find an Invisible Geometer or the like that at least understands that the day before payday is our equivalent of "when the stars are right", the payroll wouldn't be an issue at all.

On that note, we need to find another orphanage. St Nyarlethotep's says the orphans that would age out of their system are now "following a greater calling" instead of looking for work. However, they are offering us a good deal on tinned meat product.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Anticheese posted:

No. Make sure that he does get bothered, and channels all that frustration to other, unhealthy ends.

What could possibly be unhealthy about taking several urchins who were lobotomized for Science and thus are now a drain on society and using them to make one functioning child?

"Father, we were never your puppet. We have always belonged to Quag'garoth."

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 25, 2014

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Volmarias posted:

Just to double check, I never got a return email or any further communication since I sent my email. Is that about what I should expect?

Is this just a mind game? :ohdear:

The Emperor'sQueen's new e-mail can only be viewed by the Sufficiently Fashionable. Perhaps a visit to the haberdasher is in order.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Pozzo posted:

Bureaucrat Third Class Barnaby H. Pozzo had been staring intermittently at his 'golden' ticket for some three weeks now. On close scrutiny it seemed no more than a ripped and beaten old news sheet that had been slathered with cheap mustard coloured paint. Half of an article about Zeppelin explosions was still visible on the back of it. He often wondered whether he was simply being played for a fool by some wag from the club, or some laudanum soaked poet. But it was the high pitched shrieking that seemed to occur whenever he turned his vision elsewhere that made him think it was genuine. However, the golden opportunity which it referred to did not seem to be forthcoming and his neighbours were become uppity. The ticket gave an ear splitting peep while he blinked. He resolved to wait, for now.

if you don't see the fnordticket it can't eat you

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

a poet (who promptly went off and kept staring at the same pile of bricks, trying to be inspired to verse, and failing)

Roger Waters?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Come see the Carcosa Players production of The King in Yellow! Audiences across the Empire have proclaimed it to be an unforgettable and life-changing experience!

Also, this page had a most appropriate ad for the last few posts:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Goodpancakes posted:

The game ends when you reach the pinnacle of meatomancy and discover the cheese-steak. The equivalent of transcendence

I thought it was when you raise a squadron of delicious Meat-Wing Fighters from the swamps and use them to assault the Meat Star.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Chop logs to release dodos, add the dodos to work groups, then kill and eat them.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Money = thrown. Pity that summer semester finals are next week; I'm just going to have to flunk.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Has Mastercog been updated to the new version? I want to play Fishperson Enclave.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a particular construction that needs to be built for butchering? I have all these dead fish people around, there doesn't appear to be any manual "butcher" command, and if anyone's eating corpses, I haven't caught them doing it. Pretty sure there's been a few corpses that vanished, though. Maybe they're eating them when I'm not looking.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also is there any way to speed up efficiency of a kitchen? Like does adding multiple ovens allow multiple things to be cooked at once? And are any of the decorative doodads like pots and pans or portraits on the walls actually doing anything gameplay-wise, or are they purely aesthetic?

A work crew in a workshop can use multiple stations, so multiple stoves can be in use at once in your kitchen. The main issue is getting them to stop loving around and actually do the cooking.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

EDIT: It turns out that there is nothing more important to somebody after putting something in a stockpile than picking the thing up that they just found, and putting it in another stockpile.

Dwarf Fortress simulation status attained. Put beards on everyone the cogs and ship it.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Clockwork Empires - Linear Gameplay Disrupted by Pause Key

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ainsley McTree posted:

I encountered a problem:

Ah, the Unseen Geometries event.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

You don't get to participate in spite-driven development unless you're actually a Gaslamp employee or contractor. :(

Fine, I won't participate in spite-driven development, then. Are you happy? See what you made me do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bernardo Orel posted:

you now have ... games that were released and never finished

Welcome to the future. Finished products are obsolete.

• Locked thread