Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf

Polyakov posted:

That said it depends on the length of what you want to do, the scenario that fits what you want to do best is i think a scenario that is included in the Miskatonic University sourcebook, the basic premise is that a (completely insane) student has rediscovered the notes of Herbert West and is engaged in reanimating the dead , the issue is that scenario is very short and its the only one in the book.

I believe it is in the Arkham sourcebook (also? a reprint maybe?)

There's a shedload of scenarios on rpgnow.com, here are my favorites:

Modern Day:

Arkham Now

1920s:

Fatal Experiments

Victorian era:

Dark Designs

In that last one, Morris dancers are gonna kill you for the Giant Rat of Sumatra. :holy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseBag
Oct 2, 2011
Oh man that Miskatonic University scenario sounds fantastic, Herbert West is exactly what I had in mind when I said mad scientist. Thanks for the help!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally put down the money for DG:Countdown today. In hardcover print-on-demand (with the PDF) it costs about half of what scalpers are getting for the softcover on eBay. It's just... why do people hate their money?

Has anyone heard anything about the Delta Green standalone RPG? According to this really long interview Pagan Publishing is working on it and is in the dark (and apprehensive) about 7e so they're making their own game that's somehow compatible with previous stuff and does.. something.. else differently?

Pagan's news page hasn't been updated since August 2012. The original announcement goes back to 2011 - and it looks super-promising. It sounds like a tweaked BRP (using the OGL parts), with Kenneth Hite and Greg Stolze attached, but word on this has completely dried up. Does anybody know what's happening here?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
It was my understanding delta-green.com was supposed to be the new (old) hub, but again, there hasn't been anything mentioned about the new edition since its initial announcement. Really, I wouldn't hold your breath. I have no doubt the new edition is forthcoming, but Delta Green books have historically taken a long, long time to come out, due to financial constraints, time factors, and whatever other reasons.

Enjoy Countdown though, it's a great book. I, sadly, had to get my copy off of ebay in the bad times when it looked unlikely it'd ever get republished.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, there's a lot of book here - I'm really looking forward to the physical copy. PDFs are a great convenience, but it's distracting to have to zoom every time I turn the page.

I completely forgot about this until I read your post, but I spent the better part of a year refreshing Pagan's website before I could order Eyes Only, the reprinted chapbooks. You're completely right about the pacing.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

moths posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of book here - I'm really looking forward to the physical copy. PDFs are a great convenience, but it's distracting to have to zoom every time I turn the page.

I completely forgot about this until I read your post, but I spent the better part of a year refreshing Pagan's website before I could order Eyes Only, the reprinted chapbooks. You're completely right about the pacing.

I'm still waiting patiently for Horrors of War. :negative:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

moths posted:

I finally put down the money for DG:Countdown today. In hardcover print-on-demand (with the PDF) it costs about half of what scalpers are getting for the softcover on eBay. It's just... why do people hate their money?

Has anyone heard anything about the Delta Green standalone RPG? According to this really long interview Pagan Publishing is working on it and is in the dark (and apprehensive) about 7e so they're making their own game that's somehow compatible with previous stuff and does.. something.. else differently?

Pagan's news page hasn't been updated since August 2012. The original announcement goes back to 2011 - and it looks super-promising. It sounds like a tweaked BRP (using the OGL parts), with Kenneth Hite and Greg Stolze attached, but word on this has completely dried up. Does anybody know what's happening here?

They're working on it. Did you listen to the DG panel at Gencon last year? http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/?p=1076

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

SageNytell posted:

I'm still waiting patiently for Horrors of War. :negative:

Also, the Pagan Publishing site has had mentions of a book tentatively titled "Agents Friendlies and Bronsons" for about 4 years now. That one I suspect has been shelved indefinitely.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't know that presentation existed, OR that Pagan had a podcast. This is good news, and thanks! Listening to it now, I feel like they glossed over why it's going to be a stand-alone, but I'm happy to hear that it's going to bring DG up to current year.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

I didn't know that presentation existed, OR that Pagan had a podcast. This is good news, and thanks! Listening to it now, I feel like they glossed over why it's going to be a stand-alone, but I'm happy to hear that it's going to bring DG up to current year.

If you read between the lines, it's stand-alone because they don't want to be reliant on Chaosium releasing the next version of CoC (which they'll do in their own sweet time) and would prefer instead to just get it out there.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Peas and Rice posted:

If you read between the lines, it's stand-alone because they don't want to be reliant on Chaosium releasing the next version of CoC (which they'll do in their own sweet time) and would prefer instead to just get it out there.

There's also the restrictions Chaosium puts on licenses and the fact that standalone RPGs sell better than settings for existing games.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My conspiracy theory is that they want to be the BRP Pathfinder if people lose their poo poo about 7th edition.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sandy Peterson posted on BoardGameGeek a few months ago that he was working on a Mythos boardgame along the lines of FFG's Chaos In The Old World.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I have some money in my DTRPG account and I'm thinking of picking up some Call of Cthulhu books. Specifically, I'm interested in books that contain lots of fluff I can steal and adapt for my own games. Mythos creatures, magic tomes, cool alien technology, that kind of thing. Would you guys be able to suggest anything?

I'm looking at the Keeper's Companion first because I've seen snippets of it on Google Books while looking for information on the Celaeno Fragments, if that helps.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Malleus Monstrorum is a really great book that's full of ideas and monsters. Something to note is that all of the illustrations are faked historical evidence of the monster. For example, you don't get a crappy line-art illustration of a gug - you get a 15th century Chinese paper puppet of one. It's currently on sale, and I can't recommend it enough. If all you could own were the core book and one other, this is the other one that you'd want.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had not looked at the Malleus Monstrorum, and that does look legitimately awesome, certainly. But as someone who usually rolls his eyes at gamemaster aids and yet loves the Keeper's Compendium (volume 1 at least), I certainly would recommend it as well. It really does a great job of giving brief but useful examples of all the Cthulhu-plot-buttons, from cults to tomes to profane languages!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

moths posted:

Could you let us know what the print quality looks like? Countdown is the only DG book I don't have and the only reason I haven't bought one from DT is that is says "scanned from a physical copy" or somesuch, which scares me off a bit.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Trail of Cthulhu's core book has a bunch of alternate explanations for what various Mythos gods are (e.g. Hastur is a sentient meme, Yog-Sothoth is the God of Moses) and lists some sample clues left behind by monsters ("The end toe on these polar bear tracks is unusually distended, and the claws are remarkably long" or "This 'mental patient' was doodling trilobites until his release interview came through.")

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

moths posted:

The Malleus Monstrorum is a really great book that's full of ideas and monsters. Something to note is that all of the illustrations are faked historical evidence of the monster. For example, you don't get a crappy line-art illustration of a gug - you get a 15th century Chinese paper puppet of one. It's currently on sale, and I can't recommend it enough. If all you could own were the core book and one other, this is the other one that you'd want.

I just went and bought it based on your description.

I don't even play; I just write short stories with Mythos themes.

I'm only about 15 pages in, but it looks great so far. Thanks!

Edit: no illustration of the byakhee? I'm disappointed.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 21, 2013

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty

Aleph Null posted:

I don't know if there are canon pictures of Mythos things in the books, but when I want a picture of a monstrosity from beyond, I usually look no further than http://tumbleyond.tumblr.com/(:nws: for general nudity). Dude is working through pretty much every critter, old god or personality described in the Mythos.

Permotriassic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 21, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aleph Null posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYjCIor2C7E

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've always had a mental picture of Byakhees looking similar to the creature that comes and takes the Puzzlebox at the end of Hellraiser.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've always thought of them them as scary horses with no skin, bat wings, and bunny ears.

e: Oh! I'm glad you liked the recommendation, Aleph Null! It's one of my favorites.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 21, 2013

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

The Byakhee's "illustration", is on the opposite page (page 21), the Coat of arms.

Part of the theme of the Malleus Monstrorum is that it doesn't have actual pictures of the creatures, but instead relies on various pieces of evidence, so in this case, the crest of some Slavic family who had some connection to the Byakhee.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Update:

I had Trail of Cthulhu already (and yes, it owns!), so I grabbed Keeper's Compendium and Malleus Monstrorum.

They are amazing! :swoon: They're pretty much exactly what I wanted and I am using them to make another Mythos Dossiers-style infodump about Glaaki for my players since they didn't complain the last time I did this. Malleus Monstrorum's pictures in particular are lovely.

RPG.net also suggested I look at Stealing Cthulhu. I have no idea what this is like but it's from the Cthulhu Dark guy!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The MU Podcast did a recently interview with that guy, Graham Walmsley. He's well spoken and has good ideas about RPGs in general. If you like Cthulhu Dark and want to learn more about the guy behind it, it's absolutely worth a listen.

Countdown Update: I got a shipping notification that it was shipped Wednesday. So there was less than a week between the demand and print.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Peas and Rice posted:

Could you let us know what the print quality looks like? Countdown is the only DG book I don't have and the only reason I haven't bought one from DT is that is says "scanned from a physical copy" or somesuch, which scares me off a bit.

Sure! I got it Friday, which was a week after I'd ordered it. Here's a brief trip report:

The cover is nice. The image is sharp and the colors look great. It's pretty thick card with a glossy finish. There's also a cloth binding, which is promising for the longevity of the book. As you can see, it was mailed in a cardboard shipper, which should be resilient to rough handling.

The printing is good in most cases. This one isn't full bleed, meaning there's a quarter-inch (at most) white margin around the pages. This bugs me, but I'll get over it. This is the same thing as on the Vampire 20th Anniversary PoD, but they posted a warning on that one but not for Countdown. (For V20, they said it was a restriction of the printer, which I thought they'd possibly overcome.)

There's a tiny amount of blur around some lettering. It's most pronounced in the index, but if you look hard enough you can find it other places. You're not going to notice it under normal conditions. I wouldn't have noticed it except that I was specifically examining the print fidelity.

Except for this particular image, nothing strange was going on in the way of scan / reprint quirks. If I had to guess, I'd say that the borders imposed by printing restrictions caused them to shrink everything to 97% original size which hosed with the dithering. Fortunately, there isn't a lot of dithering.

It's good, and I'm happy with it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the Crowd-funding thread!

Achtung Cthluhu is in its last 48 hours. It's a Weird War II setting whose tone is more in-line with BPRD than Werewolf Women of the SS (NWS). It's definitely less serious / plausible than Delta Green, and seems to be a lot "pulpier" and action-oriented. The rules are for Savage Worlds, BRP Call of Cthulhu, and now Fate.

I was interested in it when it first posted, but back then it seemed too expensive for what you got. Now that they've cleared a ton of stretches, it's a much better value. I wouldn't have given it a second look until I listened to the Meeples & Miniatures interview. I swear that show has made me spend more money on games than any other podcast.

I think the sweet-spot here is either the £35 PDF Master level, where you get:
Keeper's Guide
Investigator's Guide
Guide to the Eastern Front
Guide to the Pacific Front
Guide to North Africa & the Middle East
Shadows of Atlantis Campaign
Assault on the Mountains of Madness
Terrors of the Secret War
Interface 19.40 (An interface zero mashup)
An unnamed(?) Dust / Achtung Cthulhu mashup adventure
and German bunker floor tiles and editable doccuments

Or at £40 you get print / hardcover versions of the Keeper's and Investigator's Guides and all the stuff above. (But there's also £5 shipping charge so you actually have to pledge £45.) It gets a little confusing after that. The addons seem a little pricey and confusing when you include the additional shipping, and of course there's a spreadsheet that chokes OpenOffice. I'd say this is definitely worth a second look if you're into C'thulhu and WW2.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Has anyone checked out House of R'lyeh yet?

(How is it? :ohdear:)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ettin posted:

Has anyone checked out House of R'lyeh yet?

(How is it? :ohdear:)

An Arthur Jermayn scenario? Really?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Does anyone know anything about reprints of the Cthulhu LCG expansions? I'm not familiar with LCGs or card games in general, but I was interested in the Dreamlands expansion. Posts on the Fantasy Flight Games forums say that it's expected to be reprinted this summer, but I only saw one of the five or six asylum packs (Twilight Horror) listed for reprinting around now (Q2 2013).

Also, if I'm not going to be playing this competitively or anything, do I really need to buy multiple copies of the same expansions? Could I have a good game with just the base stuff and one or two expansions?

EDIT: Deck building doesn't have to be too involved if it's just a game between two friends, right? Theoretically, could you just throw together two factions and then start playing?

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 2, 2013

MWMetric
Nov 7, 2000

I recently found out about the Spanish edition of Call of Cthulhu and got very jealous of the visual quality of the books. They have absolutely beautiful character sheets. I was going to link them but the links seem to be broken so here's a link to the page they are normally on: http://www.edgeent.com/v2/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=200&esem=4 you can also see a few examples of some of the amazing artwork from the books. Really envying the Spanish Masks of Nyarlathotep book right now.

Anyway I had to have those beautiful character sheets for my game so I made an English translation of the 1920s version. I might get around to doing the other eras sometime but it was a huge pain and incredibly time consuming reverse engineering the PDF.

Anyway here it is, enjoy!
http://www.heyitsthatdog.com/other/EdgeCharSheetTranslated.pdf

It doesn't seem to play nicely in the web PDF viewer for some reason so you might want to just right-click save as.

Oh and please let me know if you see any spelling errors or any other issues so I can fix them.

MWMetric fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 7, 2013

Bonald Farndhardt
Apr 18, 2005
Ye it up
Hi gents, here's a 3-hour-long CoC/Arkham soundtrack that my friend and I put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87P7S85sHGI

Enjoy! I'll be GMing my first CoC session next week, super excited!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
^^^^^ Cool soundtrack. Thanks for the upload. ^^^^^

Just played a little bit of the Call of Cthulhu LCG with a friend. I didn't feel like carefully constructing two fifty card decks, so we just chose two factions each and shuffled the cards together (he was Miskatonic/Shub and I was Agency/Yog). Neither of us had any experience with the game, and I've never played any card game.

It felt promising, but kind of slow. Some of that was just stumbling through the rules, but I also think the two of us were playing too conservatively. There were a lot of ties during the terror and combat struggles, and after maybe two hours of play, there were only about four success tokens on the story cards. I know the game is supposed to only take upwards of an hour, so we've gotta be doing something wrong.

Any advice would be welcome. I tried checking out Fantasy Flight Games' forums, but there is something seriously wrong with how their website works. Any suggestions for viable starter decks based on the ~150 cards in the starter pack? Suggestions for which expansions are worth shelling out for?

VVVV Thanks for your input; that's pretty much what we did to build our decks, neutral cards and all. It's also pretty surprising to see another online retail site handily beat Amazon. VVVVV

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 11, 2013

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The rule book suggests each picking 2 factions then splitting the neutral cards. It only makes 47 cards but that's good enough to learn. I would buy seekers of knowledge and the key and the gate. Both sets are like half mistkonic and yog respectively. Coolstuffinc.com has the best prices I've seen online. Secrets of arkham has a lot of good cards in it, but is only 2x. So if you have a friend that plays buy 3 of those and split one. I've just bought my first asylum packs today randomly, I can't give any advice on those

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

My Precious Eggs posted:

Hi gents, here's a 3-hour-long CoC/Arkham soundtrack that my friend and I put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87P7S85sHGI

Enjoy! I'll be GMing my first CoC session next week, super excited!

I would love a list of artists used for this soundtrack.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Does anyone have recommendations for pre-made adventures for Call of Cthulhu? If so, could you also give some tips/advice for running the campaign or just being a Keeper in general?

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
Shadows of Yog Sothoth is a pretty rough campaign but it also comes with two one-shots that are good, The Warren and People of The Monolith. Edge of Darkness might be good. I plan to run Convergance from Delta Green soon which is apparently highly recommended as well.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

LuiCypher posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for pre-made adventures for Call of Cthulhu? If so, could you also give some tips/advice for running the campaign or just being a Keeper in general?

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/scenarios has some downloadable scenarios - I recommend Night Floors and Music from a Darkened Room

I did a few episodes of RPPR about running horror games http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2008/10/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-23-halloween-tricks-and-treats/

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2011/10/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-65-fear-in-the-long-haul/

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2008/10/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-22-get-your-fear-on/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

So the 7th Edition Kickstarter launched today.

It's pretty :effort:.

The books sound over-priced and underproduced, most likely stripped-down to let stretch goals bring them up to even industry standards. If they make their goal (they will), I'm looking forward to exciting stretch goals like "color inserts" or "full color pages" and "a bookmark."

And now it's two books: a Keeper's Guide and an Investigator's Guide. They're sold seperately, and both cost more than the single 6th edition book.