Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Mansions of Madness doesn’t deal with any gods at all, AFAIK. Usually just scientists or adventurers or occultists who got in too deep.

Very few adventures actually have gods as something you interact with.

Oh, interesting! Thanks for that, I'll take a look!

And that's interesting - good to hear, too! The problem is, they don't like giving anything away about the scenario, so it's hard trying to get any info on what the players can be expected to contend with, without buying-in.
Either way, thanks! At least there's more content I can use, than I realised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, gang! (oops I thought I thanked you ages ago, but apparently I just abandoned the thread after getting the answers I sought) I've actually got a scenario thought up for one of the monster types/groups in The Book of Unremitting Horror already, as something that may happen after another mission.

But also, due to a sale on at drivethruRPG I've picked up the bulk of Delta Green scenario collections - the ones that aren't filled with aliens anyway. I also got the 'The Things We Leave Behind' (I think it's called) collection of scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, since it looked like one or two might be good for my campaign.

A question though, regarding CoC scenarios: Is anyone able to give me any recommendations for scenarios/collections that are decent, BUT don't go crazy on the whole 'elder god' thing. Since MAJOR major threats like that, subterranean lizardmen and alien infiltration (like in some DG scenarios, looks like) are a few things I'm trying to avoid/modify so that the stakes aren't QUITE as high in case they botch things at a key moment, as I'm gonna run it as an ongoing campaign. Plus it just wouldn't fit The Vibe(tm) of what I'm going for, aside from perhaps as a big finale to close off the campaign
Autophagia, which is also from the folks behind The things we Leave Behind is pretty good if you have set your campaign near the ocean with ships nearby. Overall, Stygian Fox seem to have quite a bunch of cool scenarios that can be mixed and mashed together with some effort. They are usually about crazies behind all the horror and not big bad gods.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Imaginary Friend posted:

Autophagia, which is also from the folks behind The things we Leave Behind is pretty good if you have set your campaign near the ocean with ships nearby. Overall, Stygian Fox seem to have quite a bunch of cool scenarios that can be mixed and mashed together with some effort. They are usually about crazies behind all the horror and not big bad gods.

oooh, nice! Yeah that looks cool - same with the other material of theirs that I've just flicked through, too. Thanks!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to DP - I just have yet another Delta Green question, if you don't mind. So, my plan (which will be set in motion soon - looks like I'm close to finally start locking in a session zero) is to have a kind of "covert, but technically on the books" agency which the players work for directly, rather than having a day job while working for DG, like in the base setting. (Although if people want to play as an ally in another agency or as a civilian but working more on a provisional basis, then I guess I'll leave the door open for that, too)

What I want to know though, is what kind of equipment and weaponry I should typically allow. Since I think in base DG the agents' regular/day jobs kinda keep a check on what they can normally bring along, seeing as if they can't bluff it out they'd kinda be "borrowing" stuff, if it's not just their sidearm. But in my setting, they don't really need to be so sneaky about it. But I'd still like to limit things, for most operations - especially since they'd be going into towns etc. as part of investigations, so they can't just tote an M16 as they strut down the main street.

So, what do you find works, if you don't mind me asking? I guess this also applies to regular Call of Cthulhu, too. Would it be reasonable to make it so that only on missions likely to be combat-focused (rather than "maybe there's something here? Go and see" investigations, where they'd just take a sidearm etc) the agency will provide combat gear. But if they want to bring stuff in on other missions, they'll either have to be sneaky or bluff to the armourer to get more gear, or bring their own guns bought from a black marketeer, which they could keep in a Green Box between missions?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Speaking from about five years of experience running the game, the most important dividing line in Delta Green is whether a weapon has a lethality rating. Lethality weapons have massively increased damage output and can instantly kill multiple targets with a single attack action. They ignore the special damage resistance types of some monsters, and other monsters straight up can't be harmed except by weapons of sufficient lethality. Restricting the availability of lethality weapons can make "lower level" investigations much more interesting. Monsters that well armed Agents could delete with a single firearms roll are suddenly threatening. Shootouts with mundane foes are more dynamic when they aren't decided in the first round by the first guy in DEX order mowing down the opposition in a single burst. Generally most law enforcement weapons in the United States, including rifles and carbines, are semi automatic only. Even those used by SWAT Teams and other tactical units. It's also extremely rare for criminals to use automatic weapons. A gunsmith can convert some guns to fully automatic with basic machine tools, but doing so is extremely illegal, as is possession of the resulting weapon.

Controlling escalation is a matter of pacing more than realism. Once players learn they're up against dangerous creatures or armed foes they're going to want heavier firepower, and commit substantial table time to acquiring it. Acquiring weapons through legitimate or quasi legitimate means is an intended use of the Bureaucracy or Military Science skill, by fabricating a convincing justification to remove the hardware from the armory. According to the Agent's Handbook and Handler's Guide, Delta Green often generates fictitious training operations to justify consuming weapons, ammunition and equipment. Green Boxes pre-stocked with eclectic but useful items are a great way to cut down on endless gear shopping.

As for Call of Cthulhu, if your game is set in the classic era then the only barrier to civilians owning heavy firepower is price. Automatic weapons and other nasty hardware weren't really regulated until the late 1930s. You could buy a Thompson submachine gun in the mail from a catalog, although it was an expensive weapon that cost about as much as a car. The Browning Automatic Rifle was favored for its ability to penetrate vehicle doors and was much cheaper, as many thousands were manufactured for WW1 but never shipped because the Armistice came too soon. Some gangsters didn't even bother to buy theirs and just stole them from National Guard armories, that's how Bonnie and Clyde got theirs. Large bore rifles are another popular choice for Investigators since monsters tend to have linearly scaling HP and armor, necessitating big damage dice to cut through their hide. My direct experience with Call of Cthulhu is pretty limited, but the trend seems to be that the upward escalation is even more immediate. An Investigator who survives their first adventure is never again caught without at least one of these absurd weapons.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Right, OK - that's interesting to know, thanks! I guess I'll start them off with handguns for their easier initial assignment(s), but then give the option (and realisation that it would be a good idea!) to start fleshing things out, with maybe buying bolt-action rifles and shotguns, to keep in the car or something, in case they're needed.
(Also just thought... are sawn-off shotguns in the game? That might be OK I guess, for someone to keep in the back of their belt for big emergency damage)

Good point about the semi-auto rifles for feds, too. Since mostly they'll be pretending to be FBI or whatever, so walking around with an M249 SAW isn't very likely! :v: Oh yeah and it'll be set in the 1980s, so not quite the main DG era

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 20, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

mellonbread posted:

As for Call of Cthulhu, if your game is set in the classic era then the only barrier to civilians owning heavy firepower is price. Automatic weapons and other nasty hardware weren't really regulated until the late 1930s. You could buy a Thompson submachine gun in the mail from a catalog, although it was an expensive weapon that cost about as much as a car. The Browning Automatic Rifle was favored for its ability to penetrate vehicle doors and was much cheaper, as many thousands were manufactured for WW1 but never shipped because the Armistice came too soon. Some gangsters didn't even bother to buy theirs and just stole them from National Guard armories, that's how Bonnie and Clyde got theirs. Large bore rifles are another popular choice for Investigators since monsters tend to have linearly scaling HP and armor, necessitating big damage dice to cut through their hide. My direct experience with Call of Cthulhu is pretty limited, but the trend seems to be that the upward escalation is even more immediate. An Investigator who survives their first adventure is never again caught without at least one of these absurd weapons.

My game is set in the 30s, and the weapon of choice for my investigators for use against the Mythos has defaulted to dynamite

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

Right, OK - that's interesting to know, thanks! I guess I'll start them off with handguns for their easier initial assignment(s), but then give the option (and realisation that it would be a good idea!) to start fleshing things out, with maybe buying bolt-action rifles and shotguns, to keep in the car or something, in case they're needed.
(Also just thought... are sawn-off shotguns in the game? That might be OK I guess, for someone to keep in the back of their belt for big emergency damage)

Good point about the semi-auto rifles for feds, too. Since mostly they'll be pretending to be FBI or whatever, so walking around with an M249 SAW isn't very likely! :v: Oh yeah and it'll be set in the 1980s, so not quite the main DG era
The typical paradigm is a pistol (and maybe a backup) worn on the body, with a long gun in the car, which in the 1980s would probably be a shotgun. This is what's suggested in the "Tools of the Trade" section of the Agent's Handbook. The 80s were a transition period for police weaponry, when you saw a lot of agencies replacing service revolvers with modern magazine fed pistols. Police armories sometimes had burst fire/automatic MP5s or other weapons, and there's precedent for handing those out as car guns in cases where there was clearly an armed and dangerous suspect. Some of the agents hunting for the Miami-Dade carjackers had SMGs in their cars, though none of them were present at the infamous shootout. Having said all that if the players would prefer to choose their own weapons that's not a huge deal. My rule of thumb is Agents can start the game with any weapons that you could legally buy at a Wal Mart, which means most semi automatic, pump and bolt action guns are on the table.

There's no stat line in the book for a sawed off shotgun. I'd cut the range of a regular shotgun in half and drop the damage in all range bands by a single die size, to 2d6 at the closest.

Ultimately on reflection, I don't think it's that important to strictly control the player arsenal. Lower level combat is more interesting to me personally but Delta Green is not about balanced fights or playing fair.

DrSunshine posted:

My game is set in the 30s, and the weapon of choice for my investigators for use against the Mythos has defaulted to dynamite
Explosives are perennially popular in RPGs where the players have to hunt monsters (WoD, NBA, DG, CoC) because they have functionally infinite upward damage scaling. A gun has a limit on how hard it hits, but with explosives you just keep adding dice as the bomb gets bigger.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DrSunshine posted:

Insert Blood memes here

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

mellonbread posted:

The typical paradigm is a pistol (and maybe a backup) worn on the body, with a long gun in the car, which in the 1980s would probably be a shotgun. This is what's suggested in the "Tools of the Trade" section of the Agent's Handbook. The 80s were a transition period for police weaponry, when you saw a lot of agencies replacing service revolvers with modern magazine fed pistols. Police armories sometimes had burst fire/automatic MP5s or other weapons, and there's precedent for handing those out as car guns in cases where there was clearly an armed and dangerous suspect. Some of the agents hunting for the Miami-Dade carjackers had SMGs in their cars, though none of them were present at the infamous shootout. Having said all that if the players would prefer to choose their own weapons that's not a huge deal. My rule of thumb is Agents can start the game with any weapons that you could legally buy at a Wal Mart, which means most semi automatic, pump and bolt action guns are on the table.

There's no stat line in the book for a sawed off shotgun. I'd cut the range of a regular shotgun in half and drop the damage in all range bands by a single die size, to 2d6 at the closest.

Ultimately on reflection, I don't think it's that important to strictly control the player arsenal. Lower level combat is more interesting to me personally but Delta Green is not about balanced fights or playing fair.

Explosives are perennially popular in RPGs where the players have to hunt monsters (WoD, NBA, DG, CoC) because they have functionally infinite upward damage scaling. A gun has a limit on how hard it hits, but with explosives you just keep adding dice as the bomb gets bigger.

For sawed off, cut the damage in all range bands except the closest IMO. There’s not that much spread at five feet.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

For sawed off, cut the damage in all range bands except the closest IMO. There’s not that much spread at five feet.
My (limited) understanding is that the loss in "damage" is less due to spread and more all the powder that leaves the barrel unburned, meaning you get less velocity on the projectiles, and therefore fewer joules hitting the target. The couple of tests I just idly Google searched gave a sawed off about 3/4 the muzzle energy of a full length shotgun, which roughly fits the back-of-the-envelope damage reduction from 2d8 to 2d6 damage.

I believe that details like this are only worth simulating if they present the player with an interesting mechanical decision. In this case, concealability versus performance. Cutting the damage to 2d6 would mean a sawed off had the same damage potential as a heavy pistol (d12), but greater statistical weighting toward the average result of 7. The sawed off would benefit from the 20% increased chance to hit provided by shotshells, while the heavy pistol wouldn't.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

mellonbread posted:

My (limited) understanding is that the loss in "damage" is less due to spread and more all the powder that leaves the barrel unburned, meaning you get less velocity on the projectiles, and therefore fewer joules hitting the target. The couple of tests I just idly Google searched gave a sawed off about 3/4 the muzzle energy of a full length shotgun, which roughly fits the back-of-the-envelope damage reduction from 2d8 to 2d6 damage.

I believe that details like this are only worth simulating if they present the player with an interesting mechanical decision. In this case, concealability versus performance. Cutting the damage to 2d6 would mean a sawed off had the same damage potential as a heavy pistol (d12), but greater statistical weighting toward the average result of 7. The sawed off would benefit from the 20% increased chance to hit provided by shotshells, while the heavy pistol wouldn't.

The math out there seems to agree that within point blank range you’re really not losing much for stopping/killing velocity (The most comprehensive, non-peer-reviewed article I could find, & this one assumes a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps, just slightly above the previous article’s velocity for a 6.9 inch barrel, the shortest they tested.) Point Blank is 1/5 DEX though, so a maximum of 20 feet. It’s not impossible to say that you’d lose some stopping power at PB range, but given the average PB range of 10 feet, the math generally seems to say it wouldn’t matter much. The spread matters much more beyond about 15 feet. It’s all very dependent though, as this same article says you basically lose nothing in velocity by losing the first 18 inches of barrel. This article generally agrees, though it seems to be that it’s around 15 fps lost per inch of barrel removed, until it reaches a tipping point, at which it becomes a quadratic relationship. This link also uses an assumed 1200 FPS to measure kinetics, which seems to be on the low end (~7” barrel) of sawed off shotguns. Via this abstract all barrel lengths within 1m (~3 ft) are roughly identical for shot spread. Heres the full text of the previous article relating barrel length to shot precision.

While (TW: Self Harm) this article examines damage in sawed off barrels at extreme short range of rifles and shotguns.This article’s abstract says that within 1m the differences are negligible to damage caused.

It’s really up to the DM, but I’ve had a few cocktails and haven’t had a chance to go perusing for articles. I don’t disagree, mind you! There is certainly lower muzzle velocity, but how much that actually matters in PB range seems to be up for debate, and is worth establishing with the player(s). How short is “sawed off,” anyway?

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 21, 2022

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The math out there seems to agree that within point blank range you’re really not losing much for stopping/killing velocity (The most comprehensive, non-peer-reviewed article I could find, & this one assumes a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps, just slightly above the previous article’s velocity for a 6.9 inch barrel, the shortest they tested.) Point Blank is 1/5 DEX though, so a maximum of 20 feet. It’s not impossible to say that you’d lose some stopping power at PB range, but given the average PB range of 10 feet, the math generally seems to say it wouldn’t matter much. The spread matters much more beyond about 15 feet. It’s all very dependent though, as this same article says you basically lose nothing in velocity by losing the first 18 inches of barrel. This article generally agrees, though it seems to be that it’s around 15 fps lost per inch of barrel removed, until it reaches a tipping point, at which it becomes a quadratic relationship. This link also uses an assumed 1200 FPS to measure kinetics, which seems to be on the low end (~7” barrel) of sawed off shotguns. Via this abstract all barrel lengths within 1m (~3 ft) are roughly identical for shot spread. Heres the full text of the previous article relating barrel length to shot precision.

While (TW: Self Harm) this article examines damage in sawed off barrels at extreme short range of rifles and shotguns.This article’s abstract says that within 1m the differences are negligible to damage caused.

It’s really up to the DM, but I’ve had a few cocktails and haven’t had a chance to go perusing for articles. I don’t disagree, mind you! There is certainly lower muzzle velocity, but how much that actually matters in PB range seems to be up for debate, and is worth establishing with the player(s). How short is “sawed off,” anyway?
The Major is running Delta Green, where point blank is a flat one meter rather than depending on the firer's DEX. I suspect you're right about the rest, though. Point blank use also removes most of the challenge of accurately aiming a weapon with no shoulder stock and probably no sights.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just enjoyed doing research that’s not related to pollutants, tell you the truth. In the end, I’ve been arguing about the difference between 2d6 and 2d8, so a 7 avg vs a 9 avg, so take me with a huge grain of salt. I just wanna be extra clear that I mean no harm here, and what mellonbread has said is both super applicable, based in logic and easily used. Moreso than what I argued for! Forest for the trees and all that.

If it’s fun at the table, then that’s all that matters.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Both points are very valid! It's also interesting to talk about/read, as the good Dr mentioned. I guess I may end up doing what mellon mentioned for simplicity's sake, but we'll see how it goes. PB might end up staying as-is if the group prefers it to work that way, but I suspect they'd be alright with an across the board decrease.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking - how do the rest of you handle caches/'green boxes'? I know they can rent a storage unit to fit in a bunch of stuff, but I guess they can also just get a metal footlocker (or some other bulky storage unit) and bury it in the yard or somewhere uninhabited, even.
Hmm, I guess I'll have to make note of it though, in case the character dies! Since if they've stored a pilfered artefact in a storage unit leased for six months or something, that might come back to haunt the team later in the campaign...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Major Isoor posted:

Both points are very valid! It's also interesting to talk about/read, as the good Dr mentioned. I guess I may end up doing what mellon mentioned for simplicity's sake, but we'll see how it goes. PB might end up staying as-is if the group prefers it to work that way, but I suspect they'd be alright with an across the board decrease.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking - how do the rest of you handle caches/'green boxes'? I know they can rent a storage unit to fit in a bunch of stuff, but I guess they can also just get a metal footlocker (or some other bulky storage unit) and bury it in the yard or somewhere uninhabited, even.
Hmm, I guess I'll have to make note of it though, in case the character dies! Since if they've stored a pilfered artefact in a storage unit leased for six months or something, that might come back to haunt the team later in the campaign...
"Next up on Pawn Stars--" and the old man in the corner of the retirement home sits bolt upright.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
OK so, one of the players in my upcoming DG game is suddenly busy for a few weeks. So now, perhaps for the best, I've got some more time to plan some more small threads linking missions together, so that it's not 100% unconnected "monster of the week" scenarios, as I'd prefer to have some familiar faces and themes now and again, etc. One of the main things I've been trying to figure out though, is how to best use Mr Bernard Corbitt from Mansions of Madness.
After reading his little scenario (Mr Corbitt) after someone here recommended MoM, I've wanted to build him up as something of a small-time friend/ally of the team, then spring the scenario on them sometime later, to see how they fare. Since I think if I was to drop the scenario on them as-is without any prior interaction with Corbitt, it might just fall flat as he's simply a stranger. But if he's a friend, it might concern some players and fuel founded and unfounded suspicions later on in the campaign.

So anyway, he's an import/export company owner, so I've tried to figure out how I might pull him in to render minor assistance in scenarios here and there. Nothing major I guess, since he's not directly involved (as far as the players know) in the 'unusual'. But just to help make things a little easier for the players now and again, so that they have a degree of fondness for him by the time I start his scenario. Does anyone happen to have any ideas for where he might come in handy? I'm thinking I might be able to have him be called by the antique dealer in Music From a Darkened Room to help track down some potentially important furniture from the haunted house, but aside from that I'm not sure what I can do with him, really. I guess I could potentially have him feature as a passenger in Autophagia, who's returning from a follow-up trip to India (hint hint, as that's how he became father to some monstrosity) who might be like "oh hi neighbour!" and maybe drop a piece of semi-useful info on a passenger/crewmember, however from the looks of it, most if not all people on the ship are slated to die in the scenario, so that could be real risky depending on how things pan out.

If anyone has played through some DG/CoC scenarios and can think of a natural fit for him to slot into off the cuff, I'd greatly appreciate it! All good if not, though - sorry for all the questions! Although I've read through a fair few scenarios and whatnot by now, I'm still very much unfamiliar with it all!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 25, 2022

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I don't know the character specifically, but if his role in the story is an antiquarian/occultist and importer/exporter of strange items, he could appear in the background of any scenario as a Delta Green allied artifact identifier. The players can take unknown artifacts to him and he'll not only provide a background and lore explanation, he'll also explain the basics of how the item functions mechanically. This not only makes him directly useful, it also makes the players more willing to play with artifacts, which results in a more interesting game overall. A Victim of the Art is the most famous artifact based scenario. There's an official book of artifacts called ARCHINT but half the items in it are just recycled from existing scenarios, and the ones that aren't would require you to build an entire scenario around them.

A good cheap trick for making the players like an NPC, since you said that's what you're after, is to give the NPC a companion animal. A friendly dog is the obvious play, but you could just as easily give him a cat or parrot.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I don't know the character specifically, but if his role in the story is an antiquarian/occultist and importer/exporter of strange items, he could appear in the background of any scenario as a Delta Green allied artifact identifier. The players can take unknown artifacts to him and he'll not only provide a background and lore explanation, he'll also explain the basics of how the item functions mechanically. This not only makes him directly useful, it also makes the players more willing to play with artifacts, which results in a more interesting game overall. A Victim of the Art is the most famous artifact based scenario. There's an official book of artifacts called ARCHINT but half the items in it are just recycled from existing scenarios, and the ones that aren't would require you to build an entire scenario around them.

A good cheap trick for making the players like an NPC, since you said that's what you're after, is to give the NPC a companion animal. A friendly dog is the obvious play, but you could just as easily give him a cat or parrot.

Ohh, yeah that's a good thought - I could definitely do that, for AVotA and a couple of other artefact-focused missions, early on. I guess I might need to insert one or two more 'harmless' artefacts in missions too, perhaps - ones that'll be easier/more tempting for the players to swipe and have him examine, rather than turning in as evidence/for containment (since I imagine some of the more dangerous artefacts would definitely be on DG's radar, to keep under lock and key!)

And the animal companion is also a good idea! One which might have the potential of interfering with the players when they go up against him...
(Cats and dogs are too highly regarded among my group, though. So I'm leaning towards either a parrot like you said, or maybe even a monkey - gained from his travels in India and south-east Asia)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

And the animal companion is also a good idea! One which might have the potential of interfering with the players when they go up against him...
(Cats and dogs are too highly regarded among my group, though. So I'm leaning towards either a parrot like you said, or maybe even a monkey - gained from his travels in India and south-east Asia)
The point is to make him at least somewhat trustworthy, so a highly regarded animal is the way to go. Obvious bad guys have monkeys. The assassin from Raiders of the Lost Ark had a monkey. The Nazi commander from Come and See had a monkey.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

The point is to make him at least somewhat trustworthy, so a highly regarded animal is the way to go. Obvious bad guys have monkeys. The assassin from Raiders of the Lost Ark had a monkey. The Nazi commander from Come and See had a monkey.

Yeah, I know, I know... I just don't think any of 'em would be able to bring themselves to harm the poor thing, if it was a dog who was rushing to attack them in defence of its master! (And besides, I was thinking more of a 'friendly monkey with a fez' vibe, personally :D )
But yeah you're right - it probably will need to be a dog, purely to avoid the chance one of the group will be suspicious of him from the get-go. If someone has to kill the dog (probably after encountering/petting him in the past) though, I think that'll be regarded as the saddest moment of the campaign!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I thought the monkey in Raiders was owned by the friendly local stereotype who hung out with Indy. I remember because it died from bad dates.

e: Looks like I'm completely wrong. That monkey was a Nazi! What the hell!

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Ok so I really don't know what the gently caress is going on here.

I've posted about this previously; My group started a Masks of Nyarlathotep game a few months ago. We're doing it pulp and I created a character with the Weird Science talent and rather high Intelligence and slightly above average Willpower, with the expectation that they would loose enough sanity in the Peru Prologue to go full on Mad Scientist and create some truly horrific devices. They started with 60 Sanity, and following Peru had 65, succeeding every roll where sanity was on the line, and so gained a bit back from the rearwards.

I have made a commitment that this character will not create any devices that could cause harm until she at least goes temporarily insane, so I came to this thread previously asking for advice on non-lethal or less than lethal ideas for devices to craft. I took a couple of ideas and made a few things, fully expecting that after the next chapter she would loose enough sanity to justify creating some heinous poo poo.

Well we just got to the end of the New York Chapter, and again she succeeded every goddamn SAN roll baring one, where the penalty was a 1D10 roll... and I rolled a 1.

She started New York with 65 SAN.

She went down to 59 SAN.

Following rewards, she shot up to 80 SAN.

What the hell.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 28, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Game doesn't want your mad scientist to make dangerous devices it seems!

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I'm honestly just amazed and how well she is doing mentally. We had a party member and two NPCs have full on Indefinite Insanity breakdowns after the last encounter, but every time the Good Doctor has to roll, she either A) succeeds and loses nothing or takes the minimum loss, or B) fails and rolls the minimum.

But it's not all sunshine and roses; her CON is currently halved, she lost a fuckload of HP in one encounter to the point where she needed a hospital, and she's been spending luck on negating damage like drunken sailor.

Also the DM just dropped that her late husband was unfaithful, which is utterly devastating to the character but as the player I am totally here for some daytime soap/Telenovela bullshit :haw:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rougey posted:

Also the DM just dropped that her late husband was unfaithful

¡Infidelidad!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rougey posted:

Ok so I really don't know what the gently caress is going on here.

I've posted about this previously; My group started a Masks of Nyarlathotep game a few months ago. We're doing it pulp and I created a character with the Weird Science talent and rather high Intelligence and slightly above average Willpower, with the expectation that they would loose enough sanity in the Peru Prologue to go full on Mad Scientist and create some truly horrific devices. They started with 60 Sanity, and following Peru had 65, succeeding every roll where sanity was on the line, and so gained a bit back from the rearwards.

I have made a commitment that this character will not create any devices that could cause harm until she at least goes temporarily insane, so I came to this thread previously asking for advice on non-lethal or less than lethal ideas for devices to craft. I took a couple of ideas and made a few things, fully expecting that after the next chapter she would loose enough sanity to justify creating some heinous poo poo.

Well we just got to the end of the New York Chapter, and again she succeeded every goddamn SAN roll baring one, where the penalty was a 1D10 roll... and I rolled a 1.

She went down to 59 SAN.

What the hell.
Congratulations on your successful investigatory career, Dr. The Medic Angela Ziegler

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rougey posted:

I'm honestly just amazed and how well she is doing mentally. We had a party member and two NPCs have full on Indefinite Insanity breakdowns after the last encounter, but every time the Good Doctor has to roll, she either A) succeeds and loses nothing or takes the minimum loss, or B) fails and rolls the minimum.

But it's not all sunshine and roses; her CON is currently halved, she lost a fuckload of HP in one encounter to the point where she needed a hospital, and she's been spending luck on negating damage like drunken sailor.

Also the DM just dropped that her late husband was unfaithful, which is utterly devastating to the character but as the player I am totally here for some daytime soap/Telenovela bullshit :haw:

Ironically the infidelity reveal probably should have cost her some SAN, that kind of thing can actually do some rather nasty things to a person's mental health(indeed relationship stuff is probably more dangerous to sanity than anything the Mythos could do)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
SAN rewards are a funny thing. Some scenarios don't have them, others give them out on an ad hoc basis.

In Night on Owlshead Mountain you can get SAN for finding clues in old newspapers. Which is a neat mechanical incentive for reading all the fun handouts that come with the module, but also meant that some of us came out with more SAN than we went in with, even after one agent got eaten by a scary monster.

The best use of SAN rewards is for saving NPCs. This pushes back against the "there's no hope of rescue, kill 'em all and dynamite the ashes" attitude some players adopt after repeat encounters with the supernatural.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've always liked SAN rewards as "The relief you get when the mythos gets pushed back, just a little bit, for just one more day".

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Ironically the infidelity reveal probably should have cost her some SAN, that kind of thing can actually do some rather nasty things to a person's mental health(indeed relationship stuff is probably more dangerous to sanity than anything the Mythos could do)
This is an excellent point and I will be raising with with my keeper.

mellonbread posted:

The best use of SAN rewards is for saving NPCs. This pushes back against the "there's no hope of rescue, kill 'em all and dynamite the ashes" attitude some players adopt after repeat encounters with the supernatural.

We need to invest in dynamite again - our characters in the last campaign were a little too explosives happy so we've been keeping it reigned in, however I think it's time to start carrying a stick or two - we very nearly bought the farm twice in once session and some TNT would have helped.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 28, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
CoC is just not a character build kind of game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - seeing as my first session is finally on the horizon, I just wanted to check if there's a good Delta Green 'GM cheat sheet' around, by any chance? I was about to start cutting+pasting my own from the PDFs, but figured I should ask as there's probably been a better effort than what I could do, that's been made in the past.

Also, out of curiosity, I've noticed in some scenarios (whether official or unofficial) there are a couple of days early on that are basically blank, before things start happening. So, how do you tend to handle those long periods of ingame downtime? I mean, I'm sure players will come up with ways to keep themselves busy (whether that's going shopping for supplies, overthinking/jumping at shadows by looking into a random red herring before matters really heat up, etc.) but do you find you normally go through those days fairly quickly, or do you try to pad it out a little more?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - seeing as my first session is finally on the horizon, I just wanted to check if there's a good Delta Green 'GM cheat sheet' around, by any chance? I was about to start cutting+pasting my own from the PDFs, but figured I should ask as there's probably been a better effort than what I could do, that's been made in the past.

There's the official Handler's screen: https://www.reddit.com/r/DeltaGreenRPG/comments/j6wq3i/handlers_screen_revisions/

And this rules reference document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CuqPxBf-F-3LTuJ-9GT8DBngMlbywgpL/view

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Excellent, thanks for that!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Major Isoor posted:

Also, out of curiosity, I've noticed in some scenarios (whether official or unofficial) there are a couple of days early on that are basically blank, before things start happening. So, how do you tend to handle those long periods of ingame downtime? I mean, I'm sure players will come up with ways to keep themselves busy (whether that's going shopping for supplies, overthinking/jumping at shadows by looking into a random red herring before matters really heat up, etc.) but do you find you normally go through those days fairly quickly, or do you try to pad it out a little more?
I don't know what specific scenarios you're talking about so I can't speak directly to the intent of the designer.

Delta Green's official requisition mechanics usually take an in-game day or two to produce results, if you're trying to get something from the government agency you work for. Often the players hear the proposed timeline and say "gently caress it, I'll buy it with my own money" since buying stuff yourself is faster and only does minor bond damage if your Agent fails a die roll. But sometimes you want something that can't be purchased legally, or you actually want cooperation/favors from the police rather than just loaning you a piece of equipment. And for that you need an official requisition, with the expanded timescale it implies.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You should run these B Movie mash-em-ups as one shots for goons, cause I think you’d have a high amount of takers to play teen archetypes. Would give you a chance to work out ideas and be frank about intentions with players before you take it live.

Well poo poo. I just logged on for the first time since that post. Got a (very) rough idea for the one shot contest that is a mashup of ideas from Hitchikers Guide, Saloum and Playtime if anyone is interested in helping me figure out how I turn a spooktacular shooting gallery setpiece into a complete module.

Kick Your Doors in Golden Silence.

And on the other end, a mashup of the song Tainted Love, the movie Shape of Water and America's Global War on Terror that is probably way to big to actually be cut down into a oneshot.

People Don't Do Those Kinds Of Things With Fish.

Major Isoor posted:

But in my setting, they don't really need to be so sneaky about it. But I'd still like to limit things, for most operations - especially since they'd be going into towns etc. as part of investigations, so they can't just tote an M16 as they strut down the main street.

So, what do you find works, if you don't mind me asking?

I either just cheese out and have like, a bouncer at the door they have to go through check for weapons - my group usually isn't the type to just shoot a bystander in the face to shortcut to a fight, usually. Or, I make the loadout part of the disguise. I had one where they were posing as 'summer camp inspectors' for a haunted Friday the 13th. I let them stash the ordinance in their van, and bring pistols along but had the teens constantly bust their balls for walking around strapped to do their job as summer camp inspectors. If your group is game and trusts you even a flimsy excuse should be enough - Just don't put them in a gunfight or a shoggoth fight after they put down their guns for the upcoming scene.

Rougey posted:

She went down to 59 SAN.

What the hell.
I literally tried to play Scooby Doo one time, a big rear end dog, specifically calibrated to be a monster in combat but fail San tests and go nuts when he's needed most, and he never. once. lost more than 1 SAN, if he lost any at all. The game really hates people leaning into its core mechanic, apparently.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 15, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Scooby-Dooby-Doo / where are you / the veil is growing thin now

Scooby-Dooby-Doo / where are you / we got some rites to do now

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

My group was mostly younger and assumed I was playing Courage the Cowardly Dog.

90s kids vs 00s kids, lemme tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I made a oneshot called Scooby Doo and the Pooch on the Doorstep. Pregens for everyone, with the Scooby character being the only one who had to roll English to actually be understood (with some bonus skills to make up for it). While making it, I couldn't decide if the joke was "It's just a Scooby Doo mystery with a monster to unmask at the end" or "This time, The Monsters Are Real! (TM)". So, I split the difference and had a fake cult worshiping a real demon monster.

Fun times were had by all, even if half the gang remained convinced that it wasn't real by the end of it.