Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I was voting (up or down) on everything to come along, and after 120 votes I'm cut off. I know I'm not the only one. Can anyone confirm that there is a hard number there, or is it just votes/time, or what?

The bummer thing is that you can't even see the list of the new games to come up. I'd accept not being able to vote, but not seeing the games is no fun. I guess I can log out, but then the 120 games I already voted are back in the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I played a demo of NEO Scavenger a while back, and it seemed interesting. Ex BioWare guy developing it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

whiteshark12 posted:

I think this was a bad idea, how on earth are people going to find real gems like Kinetic Void amidst the tidal wave of RPG maker crapware?

By finding it here, on GAF, Reddit, etc. Soon, if not already, there won't be any real way of finding good stuff with the terrible sort functionality on Greenlight. People can always click links, though. Its not such a bad thing, really. Word of mouth will do what it does.

I'm getting a little choked that I can't view the list of games without logging out. Take away my voting if you have to, but at least let me browse.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

One form or another.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm really curious what Greenlight will look like a month from now, two months from now. Obviously its full of garbage right now because its new and exciting, but that'll have to die down somewhat. Sure you'll still have tons of iOS ports coming still, but I doubt there will be very many people randomly browsing to upvote them. I'm sure a lot of traffic will be from popular message boards or organized community pushes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Kayin found the IWBTG submission and is fruitlessly trying to convince the OP to take it down.

How is it that people are confused as to what Greenlight is for? It's not for suggesting games you'd like to see on Steam, its for developers. Is it really that tough?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

It's heartbreaking looking at these games. I don't want Steam to be the next Xbox Live Arcade, but most these look atrociously terrible. A snake remake, Slender, Minecraft ripoff #49, Slender again, Zombie Mod based off the Source Engine #738, Tower Defense game that should be freeware. Good God. Steam Greenlight is making Kickstarter games look worthy of my purchase.

Its looking like the threshold for positive votes seems to be pretty high, so as long as you're not trolling through Greenlight all the time you won't notice it. I don't know what fraction of the games that are showing up (first day, remember) will ever make it on the service, but I feel confident saying it will be quite small.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Industrial posted:

Is there a way to actually play these games or am I voting based on like 2 screenshots?

The latter, basically. Devs who have their poo poo together will usually post copious screen shots, videos, links to demos, etc., but otherwise what you see is what you get.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I think the people wringing their hands over Greenlight just need to wait and see. This won't be a situation where tons of people upvote a garbage Minecraft clone and it automatically gets added to the service. It's basically a utility Valve can use to get a feel for what games people really want (and presumably what games a lot of people will buy). Valve will just do what Valve usually does, which is whatever Valve wants. They aren't forced to approve anything at any individual metric, and can just cherry pick what is both good and popular. Right now everyone is browsing the Greenlight section and seeing all the garbage, but I doubt many will after a few months. It'll be mostly link based i.e. "go here and vote my game on greenlight!!1".

It's entirely possible that some games that we don't like might get enough traction to get attention and get on Steam, but it's not like there aren't lovely games on Steam already. If Valve thinks they can make decent money of a game and it meets a minimum standard (though, again, look at some games already on Steam), they'll probably sell it. At least this way the gaming community can bring some games directly to their attention.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not the point. Steam launched Greenlight because they were tired of wading through poo poo to find the gems. So the Steam Community responds by... upvoting the poo poo and ignoring the gems. How is this progress? The games that we want to have visibility are still being drowned out by poo poo, which is why I thought this was a stupid idea in the first place.

Where is this happening? As far as I can tell, a lot of the good stuff -- i.e. the kind of stuff that finds support here, Reddit, GAF, etc. -- is getting votes, and the silly garbage stuff is notable only for the creator meltdowns in the comments. Just because there is a lot of garbage, doesn't mean that any of it has a hope in hell of getting anywhere. There will be some fraction of the vote-getters that are pretty bad, but they will be easy to ignore. Not everything that is great is getting votes, but all that means is that people need to get behind it.

Keep in mind this is first days, and not representative of how the service will likely continue to be used. Trolls will get bored when viewership dwindles, the people posting wishlist games will get their bans and learn their lessons, and instead of hundreds of games a day there may be dozens. Again, I really believe the bulk of votes for any game, good or not, will not come from browsing Greenlight. They'll be from voting campaigns (i.e. someone mentioning a game in the Steam thread, getting a story on RPS, etc).

I'm not saying it isn't a mess right now -- it is -- but I'm fairly certain they expected this and aren't sweating it. I'm not, either.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm still waiting for Bob's Game. I guess he's still banking on the nD.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

It's also the only way to punt a bad game (or one you don't want to upvote, anyhow) out of the master list.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I'm really curious what this guy was thinking. Not only could he personally decide what games go up on Steam, but also what price they'd be? As long as it got enough votes, simple as that?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Circle Nine posted:

Someone should make a good Harvest Moon ripoff and put it up cause I'd play that so much.

This says it is supposed to be like that, but its still pretty early I guess. Looks alright, though. I've never played Harvest Moon so what do I know.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92883175

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Underwhelmed posted:

Actually imagining most of these pitches being read in the Bro-Team voice is probably for the best.
Greenlight is now at least 83% better for me now, thanks.

Raneman posted:

Steam Greenlight is a joke. Nothing will ever be greenlighted, the highest we have is like 15% or some poo poo after 3 days. It will only go downhill from here.
You know that games don't have to get 100% to go up for evaluation, right? Valve has said they aren't going to beholden to only looking at the one or two most popular, or waiting for gauges to fill up. More like they take whatever is trending as popular as worth taking a closer look at.

From the Greenlight "About":

quote:

How many votes does a game need to get selected?

It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

but thou must! posted:

And while I don't doubt Steam's submissions inbox used to be truly terrible, this current mess has to be worse than normal, thanks to the public exposure inviting joke entries and more enticing scam opportunities, and an open public entry system creating a more permissive atmosphere, which seems to create an endlessly downward spiral of standards on what kind of quality an entry should have before people feel comfortable submitting theirs.
It's also in the first days. The glow of getting a sick burn submission on Greenlight will wear off, especially as the number of eyes that will see it dwindle. I'm sure they'll never totally be rid of the joke submissions and terrible garbage, but I don't know that we can draw any firm conclusions about the future of the service from the first few days.

Really, from Valve's perspective, it must still be better. Now they have us sorting it out and trying to get the cream to rise to the top, rather than having to go into the trenches themselves. Having to moderate the morass is the trade-off.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Why do I get the feeling that no project is going to get enough votes?

Because you haven't read the FAQ for Greenlight yet:

quote:

How many votes does a game need to get selected?

It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Game page was deleted before I could take a look at it, but:

Man, that must be a fast developer, going from Alpha to Beta in what must have been minutes!

At one point there were separate entries for "Danger Close [Beta]" and "Danger Close [BETA]" organized by what I have to imagine is how emphatic the beta status is. Either that, or Nuclosgaming is having a hard time with Greenlight.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I hope that gains some traction -- Steam really good use a good pinball game. I don't know what's taking Pinball Arcade so long, though.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Furret Basket posted:

Slightly off-topic: Is there anywhere you can buy Pinball Arcade for Windows now? Their website is pathetic.

No, I don't think so. They've been talking about it for months, if I recall, but nothing so far. Bummer, because you can buy it on pretty much everything else. That's why this Greenlight entry is so exciting for me.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

There might be a conversation about whether $100 is the right amount, but the fact remains that if you can't use your game to make that $100 for submission then you'll never get enough votes to make it worthwhile anyhow. Just having a good game isn't enough, since it isn't based on merit but popularity.

I wonder if the simple act of getting a game on Greenlight for evaluation might be worth $100, even if you have no chance of getting lit. How many people look at screenshots, videos, etc. of your game, and how many go on to download the demo? Surely some of them buy the game off your site, especially if you promise Steam keys that you probably never have to deliver unless your game really takes off anyhow.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

I had a really good time with Geared on iOS and I would be happy to buy it on Steam, as well. Yay from me for that one. I like games I can load up and waste 10 or 20 minutes on when I don't have time to sit down and get serious with something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Cook, Service, Delicious is great fun and would be fantastic to have on Steam. It's a big yay from me.

• Locked thread