Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

crime fighting hog posted:

They climb out of the sewer just in time for the sunrise, and go to Dairy Queen.

Man this makes me want to play Hunter again so badly.

My first ever game of WoD was Hunter: The Vigil. It was set in '86 and I played a kid. We were fighting plant men and uncovering some huge Reagan conspiracy. It was fun but the GM just kind of let the game fall apart and we all stopped meeting. :(

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

pseudosavior posted:

While the rest of it was awesome, this line right here made me love it. God that was an awesome thread, and now I want to go look those videos up again.

What videos? I was just making poo poo up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

pseudosavior posted:

While the rest of it was awesome, this line right here made me love it. God that was an awesome thread, and now I want to go look those videos up again.

Do you have a link?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Error 404 posted:

Do you have a link?

I guess I had seen this before, which is probably where I got that line. poo poo I'm unoriginal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBHkW0aKHRc

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey Loomer why exactly did the Hunter PbP die?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Because I am terrible at updating on time and didn't make the last few events engaging enough, would be my thinking. Why do you ask?

EDIT:

Oh for gently caress's sake there were even more in 1993 that I didn't know about... I swear by the time I'm done I'll have the only accurate list of what was published what year.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 5, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh god I can't finish that Wyoming Incident video I am such a loving chicken :smith:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The whole Slenderman mythos and Marble Hornets are pretty good inspiration for Hunter. Or really any splat. It could be an abyssal monster for mage. A strange new spirit for werewolves. A new type of blood line from VII for vampires.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I could swear I saw this in the last version of this thread and I can't find my link to that thread: Anyone have the bit saved where the Silver Surfer was dropping burns on the Fantastic Four, insinuating that Johnny Storm was gay, etc? I want to show it to a friend and have been fruitless with the search function or Google.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tollymain posted:

Oh god I can't finish that Wyoming Incident video I am such a loving chicken :smith:

Why? It's basically just slenderman from 2004. Obviously better because goons were cleverer then but nothing to get weirded out about

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Xir posted:

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I could swear I saw this in the last version of this thread and I can't find my link to that thread: Anyone have the bit saved where the Silver Surfer was dropping burns on the Fantastic Four, insinuating that Johnny Storm was gay, etc? I want to show it to a friend and have been fruitless with the search function or Google.

Are you thinking of the Ultimate Hustler joke with Galacticus?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Are you thinking of the Ultimate Hustler joke with Galacticus?

I think so, unfortunately I don't have a link to it, either.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Xir posted:

Here you go.

Ingwit posted:

Galactus was coming and only we stood in his way. But before his arrival, he would send his herald and that's what I now waited for. I scanned the skies and suddenly a glint appeared--there, it was the Silver Hustler, herald of mighty Galactus! Possessed of the Dozens Cosmic, the Silver Hustler parleyed the doom of planets, appearing without warning and slamming deserving suckers across the multiverse. As he approached, the Hustler jumped off and danced alongside his board, hydraulics hissing.

"You like what you see? Das right, I been ghostridin the cosmos since before the Watcher had dick hairs. Taught Johnny Blaze everything he know. Cracka so waxy he dome a yankee candle."

He hovered in front of us, pointing a shining finger at me. "Lookit Mr. Fantastic Cuts here. I didn't know Stretch Armstrong momma get punched in the stomach third trimester. You such a nerdy fool, Peter Parker givin you swirlies between classes and bustin on yo differential equations." I was stunned by the onslaught but the fate of the world was in our hands. "Sue," I called "help shield me from his spectacular insults!"

"Oh so that latina bitch around here too? Shoulda known. Can't see her, but drat can I smell her. Like the central air all bust up in a Red Lobster. Why ain't you used the Ultimate Nullifer on that cootch yet? Betcha didn't know she sleepin round on you too, gettin mustache rides from Tony Stark, comin back from Atlantis tryin ta get the caviar smell off her breath before you notice.* Why you think Franklin Richards get stuffed in another dimension? Whole drat 616 universe afraid of havin ta pay child support."

That was too much for Johnny Storm, the Human Torch. "How about a little fire, Jim Crow?" he quipped. "FLAME ON!"

The Silver Hustler just laughed. "Please, you too easy. All I say is that late at night Isaac Mizrahi lay awake on a pile of dicks wondering why he ain't the biggest flamer in New York no more."

As Johnny fell to the rooftop defeated, the Thing stepped forward. "That's it, ya tin can! It's Clobberin' Time!"

"Nah, sucka, clobberin time when you think nobody home, you lock yoself in the bathroom with a copy of Playboy an a brokeass rock tumbler. Sheeyit, this ain't no battle at all. This four white folk got no business bein in the 21st century sittin round hopin for a retcon send em back to Leave It To Beaver. Maybe y'all hop in the Fantasticar, fly down to Fox Studios, and beg Tobey Maguire to stick he Droopy Dog mug in yo third movie, if ya lucky enough ta get one. Now dig on that. Fantasticar some poo poo, ain't it? Look like Flash Gordon pimp yo ride. Only reason Black Panther keep comin here so's he can try ta steal hubcaps off it, thas how dumb he is. Talk about a disrespectable nigga. I been to Wakanda for his wedding when he marry that oreo from tha X-Men. Only affair I ever been to catered by UNICEF. They backwards there, they backwards. I threw an empty Coke bottle into the reception party, buncha kunta kintes start clickin an whoopin like Popeyes go outta business. Man, y'all borin me. Ima head over to DC, maybe tell Wonder Woman her snatch look like a rabbi cut heself shaving."

He zoomed off and I stumbled over to the portal to the Negative Zone, the only place a busta like me would be save from the likes of the Hustler. But as I pulled the lever, a shadow fell across the city. Galactus had arrived. I steeled myself and raised my eyes. Beneath the foreboding helmet was the face of the Hustler!

"Yo just wanna tell you I can't eat yo planet. Doctor's orders. Says I get hella indigestion on accounta me bein luddy intolerant." I stepped into the portal, hoping that perhaps a better hero, Dr. Strange maybe, could face this monster. The Hustler smiled. "And y'all Baxter Building look like Donald Trump crackhouse. Nuff said."

As my body faded into the swirling depths, all I could muster was a meek "drat" true believers.

*see ish #69--ed.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dammit Who? posted:

Why you think Franklin Richards get stuffed in another dimension? Whole drat 616 universe afraid of havin ta pay child support.

This really is the best thing.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yes, the "Wyoming Incident". Couldn't remember the damned name of it, which made trying to track it down much more difficult.

Even if it was put in accidentally, it's still awesome.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Quick, post the Ultimate Hustler of Troy before someone notices this is off topic!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
or post the "death as ultimate hustla" in the underworld vs a Moros.

Ze Pollack posted:

Young astral travelers are warned against trying to enter inner space from a place of great devastation- Meggido, Katyn, Hiroshima, Detroit- with half-truths or outright lies, claiming that the voyage is less easy there. Not so. The thousand paths of the dreamspace will find their way unto the Anima Mundi with greater ease in places sanctified by the arcanum of Death, but at a cost- all roads in such places ultimately lead to the Ebon Palace, where dwells the Aeon of Death, Greater of the Twin Lords of Stygia. To the Free Council he is the Entropic Principle, to the Christians Azrael, to the Babylonians Ereshkigal. His skin is of the purest ebony, his staff a shining bone-white, and his glasses darker than the very pits of the Abyss he guards. Those few Moroi who have dared to brave his presence speak of it in whispers if at all, willing to confirm only that to face the Ultimate Necromancer is to face mortality in its purest, most vicious form.

I? I dared, once, to pass the gates of that dread palace. I remember gazing upon my fathers, laid to rest in a line stretching back to the very dawn of men. I remember the stones of that place, writ with the names of all those who had passed beyond them before. My comrades faltered before the guardians of silver and onyx, but I refused to fail before my Master. We stole our way to the very throne room of the Ultimate Necromancer, and there I stopped, transfixed by the Aeon's mighty throne. My master strode forward, and commanded the Aeon to speak.

For a moment that felt like a thousand years, there was silence, and then a voice like the mocking of the tomb itself.

"poo poo, look at this slow-rear end motherfucker. Veils of the Temenos parting like they was yo momma's legs, still takes him a week to get here. That your student back there, or you been digging up history's biggest catamites? Either way, that rear end seen more traffic than the Road of Lost Souls."

I summoned up what defenses I could muster, desperately trying to ward off the power I could feel swelling behind his words. I might as well have tried to stop the tide. My master reddened with anger, hurling a bolt of entropic force from his very soul at the Ultimate Necromancer, who, laughing, batted it aside with a flick of a skeletal wrist.

"Still shootin' off in under a minute." To this day I know not what happened then, for as the dread Aeon unleashed his fury on my Master my senses failed me. The only words that remained with me were "And yo nimbus look like a dishrag." Those, and one other.

I was trapped in a coma for ten years, apprentice. Ten years the Mysterium cared for me, protecting my comatose body from those who would steal it and tear the secrets I have just revealed to you from my mind.

And in all that time, the only thought in my mind, the only word on my lips, the entirety of my being?

"drat."

or the Mastigos one.

starbu.cx posted:

I was sitting in Philosophy class and the ultimate hustler popped out of a collection of Camus' fiction and said "bitch the only stranger you know is when you be sittin on yo hand before jerkin off at night" and i tried to keep my composure, but then he appeared out of the aether and said "you breath so bad bitches be callin you the plauge" and i was like drat.

after philosophy i went to my next class psychology, glad to have escaped the ultimate hustler. but as soon as i sat down he amassed in the collective unconscious and said "freud be sayin e'eyone wants to gently caress they mother, but most of em just gently caress yours instead" and i blacked out but he popped into my dream as an archetype and said "you so repulsive to girls even yo anima want nothin to do wit you" and i was like goddamn

Daeren posted:

My Awakening? Be glad you have asked me, apprentice, and not another, for daring to ask another to reveal the most personal moments of his life is gravely rude. However, in order to teach you how widely varied they can be, I will tell you my story.

It came to me in a day like any other. I sat in a Waffle House late one night partaking in their endless supply of artery-clogging foods when a chill crept up my spine. As my dumpy middle-aged waitress approached me, her face shifted, to the face of a man. In his eyes I could see the experience of uncounted ages, and I knew what I saw was real. He opened his mouth to speak.

"drat, bitch, you so white that you make Weird Al look like Al Sharpton."

Recoiling from his burn, I fell over prone and spilled out of my booth. As I looked up, one by one the other patrons of the Waffle House shifted to share the same face, the face of a man who has crushed a thousand and one men stronger than I. Their gaze alone was too much to bear, and I fled as they began to hurl put-downs like thunderbolts from heaven.

Running into the night, I saw a man on the street walking his dogs. One dog turned to me, and cocked its head. Suddenly it began speaking, and I knew the man was there too.

"poo poo son, your mom's so dumb she make Chex Mix by choppin' up her welfare payments and tossin' them in a bowl."

I screamed in pain as the awful truth of his words seared into my brain, and continued my mad exodus. The wind carried his mocking laughter, windows reflected his grinning face, the cold of the night air holding the power of his ice burns. My mind was unable to cope, and I fell to the ground weeping at the horror of it all, at how pitiful I truly was.

Then I realized I was not weeping on pavement, but on the colossal chest of the man, his head looming up before me like a great tower, his eyes beaming like twin suns. His mouth opened, and cosmic truths roared forth and washed over me.

"Yo mamma so fat she make the Abyss look like Karen Carpenter."

As my body exploded into a shower of bone and gore, and my soul was lifted up and subjected to burns unspeakable, the essence of my mind, body, and soul was distilled into one word, the word that was seared into the Tower of the Iron Gauntlet as a testament to my Awakening:

"drat."

Liesmith posted:

redirect all sympathetic connections to your mom

Etherwind posted:

Nobody can have a sympathetic connection to your mom.

She counts as a public place.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 5, 2012

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

The Ultimate Necromancer (at least the WoD one, there were a ton of more general ones from the YCS thread aeons ago) ought to be the pattern on which all future necromancers are based. The sheer pun potential (admittedly focusing on the word 'bone' but let's ignore that for a bit), together with the way Mages are given to speak, makes it worthy of memorialising here in full:

Liesmith posted:

Actually what would happen if the ultimate necromancer showed up is some mage would turn on his mage sight and there in front oh me was a most terrible apparition! It was the ultimate necromancer, and as I set my arcane defenses he laughed. "Boy, you about as spooky as a closed down Hot Topic." I gasped and tried to turn away but the necromancer leans in close to me and whispers in my ear "I've got a reanimated cat that's more pussy than you're ever gonna see."

As my soul was torn from my body, I saw the shattered remnants of a silver stair leading up into the sky. From that impossible summit I heard a new voice, which I knew to be an Exarch, and it cried out: "drat"

Ze Pollack posted:

Young astral travelers are warned against trying to enter inner space from a place of great devastation- Meggido, Katyn, Hiroshima, Detroit- with half-truths or outright lies, claiming that the voyage is less easy there. Not so. The thousand paths of the dreamspace will find their way unto the Anima Mundi with greater ease in places sanctified by the arcanum of Death, but at a cost- all roads in such places ultimately lead to the Ebon Palace, where dwells the Aeon of Death, Greater of the Twin Lords of Stygia. To the Free Council he is the Entropic Principle, to the Christians Azrael, to the Babylonians Ereshkigal. His skin is of the purest ebony, his staff a shining bone-white, and his glasses darker than the very pits of the Abyss he guards. Those few Moroi who have dared to brave his presence speak of it in whispers if at all, willing to confirm only that to face the Ultimate Necromancer is to face mortality in its purest, most vicious form.

I? I dared, once, to pass the gates of that dread palace. I remember gazing upon my fathers, laid to rest in a line stretching back to the very dawn of men. I remember the stones of that place, writ with the names of all those who had passed beyond them before. My comrades faltered before the guardians of silver and onyx, but I refused to fail before my Master. We stole our way to the very throne room of the Ultimate Necromancer, and there I stopped, transfixed by the Aeon's mighty throne. My master strode forward, and commanded the Aeon to speak.

For a moment that felt like a thousand years, there was silence, and then a voice like the mocking of the tomb itself.

"poo poo, look at this slow-rear end motherfucker. Veils of the Temenos parting like they was yo momma's legs, still takes him a week to get here. That your student back there, or you been digging up history's biggest catamites? Either way, that rear end seen more traffic than the Road of Lost Souls."

I summoned up what defenses I could muster, desperately trying to ward off the power I could feel swelling behind his words. I might as well have tried to stop the tide. My master reddened with anger, hurling a bolt of entropic force from his very soul at the Ultimate Necromancer, who, laughing, batted it aside with a flick of a skeletal wrist.

"Still shootin' off in under a minute." To this day I know not what happened then, for as the dread Aeon unleashed his fury on my Master my senses failed me. The only words that remained with me were "And yo nimbus look like a dishrag." Those, and one other.

I was trapped in a coma for ten years, apprentice. Ten years the Mysterium cared for me, protecting my comatose body from those who would steal it and tear the secrets I have just revealed to you from my mind.

And in all that time, the only thought in my mind, the only word on my lips, the entirety of my being?

"drat."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
"yo nimbus look like a dishrag" is, and shall forever be, the best Mage burn ever.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Lately, I've been playing with the idea of running a Hunter game at some point in the near future, and goddamn, Slasher is one of the more horrific WoD books I've read.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Error 404 posted:

This really is the best thing.

It is, and that's it! Thanks! Sorry for the derail!

On topic: Mage is awesome. I'm trying to convince my players to give it a shot. The unlimited creativity is intriguing to them, but does anyone have anything else to suggest that will set the hook a little better?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Yawgmoth posted:

"yo nimbus look like a dishrag" is, and shall forever be, the best Mage burn ever.

"Yo ______ look like a dishrag" is, and shall forever be, the best ______ burn ever.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Someone saved my awful attempt at an Ultimate Hustler joke? :psyduck:

Really I only wrote it because "you so white you make Weird Al look like Al Sharpton" popped into my head and I wanted to run with that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Remember that one sequence from H:tR Urban Legends? Oh hey, they filmed that.

quote:

A POV, found footage horror film from the perspective of America's top genre filmmakers. A group of misfits are hired by an unknown third party to burglarize a desolate house in the countryside and acquire a rare tape. Upon searching the house, the guys are confronted with a dead body, a hub of old televisions and an endless supply of cryptic footage, each video stranger than the last.

:sigh:

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

moths posted:

Remember that one sequence from H:tR Urban Legends? Oh hey, they filmed that.

:sigh:

What was the sequence name, also that movie loving rules.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Picked up Requiem for Rome. This book is pretty rad so far.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

crime fighting hog posted:

Picked up Requiem for Rome. This book is pretty rad so far.

Good times. RfR is one of my fav Vampire supplements, and sits firmly in the "games I would kill to play/run, but never have the chance to" category.

Also, if you haven't picked up Fall of the Camarilla yet, please do. It's a fantastic companion piece.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You know, looking back on Binge and Purge again, one thing I did like doing was the technical difficulties images followed by a screen of static linking to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2EKWgTNEYU as an easter egg. If I do another I might do something similar.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Fuzz posted:

No and no.

It's basically the Shadowrun storyline, except with WoD game lines and lovely D&D rules. Literally everything about it is derivative in the worst ways possible.

I think it has some neat bits. Vampires as evil souls thrown forward in time and werewolves as literal aliens are kind of cool. I find it excessively D&D in execution, though.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Error 404 posted:

If I were trying this, but wanted to not break 4E in half, there's a few things I'd do:

1. Make the arcana based off the knowledge:arcana skill (all classes who don't start with it can pick it up) basically this is Gnosis. You can't have arcana higher than that.

2. Divide up the keywords between arcana, some will be in multiple arcana, and you'll probably want to make up a few.

3. Divide up rotes/effects to fit into 4E's scheme. Eg- 1-2 dots would be at-will, 3-4 are Encounters, and 5+ would be daily.

Edit: 4. Make each arcana into basically a skill, make each "rank" in that skill cost maybe a little more than other skill ranks.

I would stress the free-form and creative nature of spells, within the loose(er than DnD, stricter than WoD) framework. I'd have them choose either potency or duration, and have those factor into the DC.

But this is just,like...my opinion man.

Every once and a while I toy with the idea of doing high fantasy gaming as a Mage: The Ascension hack with the Spheres of Martial Arts, Athletics, Nature Lore, Necromancy, Evocation and Summoning. You just build a pro/con slight bias into what each "Sphere" does for successes spent and impose some protection against spamming and you'd be good to go. Your "paradigm" is your class/Tradition and you can't use 2 Sphere, while you get cheaper costs on 2 others -- 1 especially.

So:

Fighter: Martial Arts (best)/Athletics, Evocation/Summoning banned.
Paladin: Martial Arts (best)/Necromancy, Evocation/Nature Lore banned.
Ranger: Martial Arts (best)/Nature Lore, Evocation/Necromancy banned.
Cleric: Necromancy (best)/Summoning, Evocation/Athletics banned.
Druid: Nature Lore (best)/Necromancy, Evocation/Athletics banned.
Magic User: Evocation (best)/Summoning, Martial Arts/Athletics banned.
Thief or Assassin: Athletics (best)/Martial Arts, Necromancy/Summoning banned.

So a fighter goes "I unleash a storm of arrows" and rolls Arete + Martial Arts and can spend successes on damaging a bunch of folks in his line of sight. Martial Arts might be worse for number of targets than a wizard's Arete + Evocation fireball, but Evocation might be worse at raw damage or buffs than Martial Arts.

Fantasy folk may get a token bonus Attribute dot and maybe +2 dice on Effects that utilize their lore -- a dwarf busting out with an axe or summoning an earth elemental, for instance.

Hell, maybe I should pitch this or something.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ferrinus posted:

Quick, post the Ultimate Hustler of Troy before someone notices this is off topic!

I think this was Ingwit, the greatest litposter ever to grace these forums. Google weedpunk if you don't believe me, or just read all the zybourne clock stuff he wrote.

pre:
SING TO ME MUSE, OF VELOUR AND THE MAN
the dooming sting of the slams that ruined so many
the chumps and the bustas hurled headlong into gloom
to sip bitter cola with the sluts and kinky-haired hoes,
dollar store poo poo, not even brand-name;
thus was the will of Zeus.
Begin with the wit of that lord--
the Ultimate Hustler
who descended like night upon the bright shores
of unfortunate Troy where the Achaeans all camped.
As the sun in his splendor, spangles his rays
upon the folds of the sea when the day is just dawning
so too was the light that came from the mouth
of that merciless pimp, for nigga he had
hella fine platinum up in his grill.
And seeing the masses of Grecians, a full generation
set for ten years in grim siege on the sand
the Hustler rattled his cane, a thunderous funk
and made known his will.

"Well well well
guess now be a good time to buy stock in coconut oil and cock rings
since y’all look like you ready to storm Fire Island and start a pride parade.
First time I seen a fleet of ships using they momma’s dirty drawers as sails.
That ain’t no Mycenaean insignia, that just where she couldn’t reach around ta wipe.
An do I see Odysseus sticking gettin rutty with that handmaid? Ima call Ithaca,
tell em they all need to file a missin bustas report.”

All through the camp, men fell transfixed
laid out by the insults that poured like hard rain
upon the wearied and weak. It seemed as a plague
that ran through the ranks, a vast rippling breath
like when the wind, blown black in the dusk
touches the grain and withers the stalks
and the farmers they gather what once was fine crop
and set it to torch to weep at the flames.

Mighty Achilles, a lion in temper, stepped onto the shore
from his proud flanks flashed fierce indignation
at the Ultimate Hustler, the man like dark wine all richly attired.
When kings go out hunting, they bring with them dogs,
tightly-haunched hounds with foam on their teeth.
The pack is arrayed, and now catches the scent
of a rabbit or stag and strains at the leash,
their limbs at the ready, their eyes full of death,
and finally their master loosens the rein
so was the wrath of Achilles that long had lain quiet,
now aimed at the Hustler and hot for its prey.

“Whether you be
a dark Ethiopian far from your home or else
a sunburnt man from a sunburnt land, Achilles
cares not. You now forfeit your life.”

So said Achilles, and drew forth his spear, the heft on his shoulder
the point all of bronze and, taking his aim, hurled it full force
like a bolt from Olympus.
				But Mandingo was watching,
god of the Dozens, and turned it astray.

All there assembled, Achaean and Trojan, saw Achilles’ first failure
and soon wicked Rumor, with her venom and bile, started to whisper
that ain’t nobody choked that bad since yo momma
try deepthroating a Titan. 
                                The Hustler boomed out his mirth.

“Next time you wanna give me yo shaft, make believe I’m Patroclus’ stankhole
and there ain’t no way you missin. Oh I forgot, Hector currently using that bitch
as a hood ornament. Take him down to the kennels, he metamorphose 
into kibbles and bits. That nigga, he dead.
And what up with that armor? poo poo’s tacky. Bet that breastplate come with a horn
play “Lowrider” when you goosesteppin through the ranks.
Ain’t it bad enough you got grease face? Been, what, twenty years since yo momma
dip you in tha Styx, and the Hades EPA still tryin to clean the oil slick, 
declaring it unfit for animal habitation.
My nigga Charon spark up a fatty, throw the match overboard,
poo poo goes up like Mt Etna.”

Mighty Achilles groaned like the ocean, let fall his arms to the ash at his feet.
Betaken by sorrow, he sought out his tent and the drowse of his harem
where black-visaged grief crept from the shadows. Like the waxes of Hybla
it muzzled his mind, stopped up his ears, made deaf his heart
to all the sweet pleas of men and immortals.

Just at that moment, the figure of Helen, awake in the city,
appeared on the walls. King Menelaos, the chariot driver,
gnashed all his teeth and raged at the day
she was promised as prize to craven Prince Paris 
and doomed distant Troy.
				She was spied by the Hustler.

“poo poo, ain’t it the daughter of Leda and a swan.
Bitch squirt up a douche, get a bowful of duck soup. 
That the face launched a thousand ships? They all musta
gone looking for that most mythical of treasures, cure for dick blisters.
Only time the topless towers of Ilium get burned is when they go take a leak,
get funky discharge look like something Cerberus leave on yo carpet.
Bitch been ploughed more times than the winedark sea. Yeah
I droppin some poetical poo poo here. gently caress ya if ya hatin.
Everyone heard Helen so tough and hangly down there, she legally obligated
to have the Arby’s logo tattooed on her snatch.
Priam still around? Get him out here.
That nigga so old, last time he manage to pop wood, 
Pandora’s box just got some peach fuzz
and Priapus’ balls ain’t even drop yet.
This some brokedown city y’all got here. Couple thousand years, Heinreich Schliemann
dig this place up, wonder what the hell the luddy convention was doin in town.
All looking like somebody built a group home for Cyclops crackheads.”

His counsel at end, the Hustler arose and took to the air
in the form of a bird, feathers jet-black, leaving all stunned.
Sometime a hunter when the race has been run
surveys the beast his arrows brought low,
admires the flank and the struggling faint breaths,
and though its life is near gone strings one last shaft
to take cold delight in an unneeded wound.
So now the Hustler, in no haste to leave,
flung finally a barb down into the field.

“First I thought that wicker tinker toy was the Trojan Horse,
but now y’all inside it, I see it just a raggedy-assed fruit basket.
And yo toga look like a dishrag.”

Tearing her hair, Queen Hecuba led
her waxen-faced ladies in an ebon procession
to Athena’s white temple, hoping the goddess
would pity their plight, grant Troy gray-eyed mercy.
Greeks and Dardanians, all there assembled, hearing the wail
added their voices to the keening and crying
and it is said that even Olympus covered its face
for the great lamentation:
				“drat.”

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Liesmith posted:

I think this was Ingwit, the greatest litposter ever to grace these forums. Google weedpunk if you don't believe me, or just read all the zybourne clock stuff he wrote.

I actually let out an involuntary 'drat' at the Arby's line.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

homerlaw posted:

What was the sequence name, also that movie loving rules.

I thought it was in Urban Legends but I just checked and no luck. I'll check next time I'm home.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So I was looking up a spell in the Mage core book earlier and just noticed this rote description for Autonomous Servant, a spell that lets you make the animated broom from Fantasia:

quote:

Mysterium mages are stereotyped as
being too buried in their books to attend
to mundane matters, such as
shaving, cleaning or even dressing properly.
This rote’s popularity among
mages of that order does little to break
the stereotype, although it does allow
a bookworm mage to at least dust his
library before visitors arrive without
losing valuable study time.

I love the image of some goony mage hanging around in sweatpants, waking up at noon in a pile of grimoires and summoning a magical sprite to clean up all those pizza boxes.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

I love the image of some goony mage hanging around in sweatpants, waking up at noon in a pile of grimoires and summoning a magical sprite to clean up all those pizza boxes.

I am going taking this concept for the next mage game I play, thanks for the idea.

Now just to find a game to play as most of my friends don't play WoD...

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 7, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
A few observations on the newly released Children of the Night:

-They've apparently retconned the secret city of Petra, as there's a Lasombra named the Nabatean who went there and found nothing but a 'historical curios'. Now if anyone doesn't remember their oWoD, Petra was inhabited by Talaq, an Assamite embraced in 106 AD and then made mortal again by Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century. It was also home to a legion of Nabatean ninjas, essentially, and no one could set foot in the place without dying horribly, so the Nabatean entering to find nothing suggests either a retcon or everyone died since the last mention of Talaq.

-Norwegian Black Metal had ties to, of all things, Setites. Apparently there's an entire Old Norse strain of Setites, which I don't recall being mentioned anywhere else.

-Argentina and much of South America had domains with Camarilla and Sabbat in the same cities, without a state of open war or espionage. Unusual arrangement.

Oh, and as usual, the relationship between the Lost Tribe and the Tal'mahe'ra wrinkles my brain.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Loomer posted:

an Assamite embraced in 106 AD and then made mortal again by Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century.

Loomer posted:

made mortal again by Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century.

Loomer posted:

Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century.

How the hell did he live that long? :psyboom:

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Loomer posted:

A few observations on the newly released Children of the Night:

-They've apparently retconned the secret city of Petra, as there's a Lasombra named the Nabatean who went there and found nothing but a 'historical curios'. Now if anyone doesn't remember their oWoD, Petra was inhabited by Talaq, an Assamite embraced in 106 AD and then made mortal again by Rabbi Moses bin Maimonides in the 16th Century. It was also home to a legion of Nabatean ninjas, essentially, and no one could set foot in the place without dying horribly, so the Nabatean entering to find nothing suggests either a retcon or everyone died since the last mention of Talaq.

-Norwegian Black Metal had ties to, of all things, Setites. Apparently there's an entire Old Norse strain of Setites, which I don't recall being mentioned anywhere else.

-Argentina and much of South America had domains with Camarilla and Sabbat in the same cities, without a state of open war or espionage. Unusual arrangement.

Oh, and as usual, the relationship between the Lost Tribe and the Tal'mahe'ra wrinkles my brain.

I think Petra was one of the last gasps of early V:tM's attempts ot have site-based adventures. Seriously, I vaguely recall at least one dungeon crawl and I believe V:tM had some random encounter tables way back when. I wish I could be more specific, but I only remember important OWoD things like Mage and also Mage.

The Black Metal thing is kind of a goofy gimme but Evil Viking Setites into the Midgard Serpent were there before.

Loomer, you have (White Wolf's) Encyclopaedia Vampirica, don't you? Because I know you're interested in tracking all this stuff and that book was specifically designed to list as many vampires from the game up to that point as possible.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

He must have been a Mummy :drac:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

He was a wizard.

At least, in some of the Let's Not Talk About Those Books Robert Weinberg novels he was a wizard and lived into the present day (well, 1997, at least). Those books of his are strange in that they're not canonical unless something from them gets yoinked out and dropped into line continuity.

• Locked thread