Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This is the first Halo game I haven't preordered since Halo 2. I'll probably end up buying it anyway since I'm a sucker like the rest of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

Happy 2nd birthday Reach (happy 23rd to me tomorrow :cool:)!

I remember right when I got my copy at midnight launch. I was holding this giant box trying to pretend to not be excited. I was power walking toward my car, which eventually turned to sprinting. Once I got in, I drove real fast out of the Gamestop parking lots. The other folks and I started honking our horns, and I was screaming in the car.

Ah. Great times. I'll never forget that. Can't wait for the 4th!

If you go out at midnight to pick up a video game and you stay sober enough to remember in detail what the experience was like years later you have been ill advised as to how to conduct yourself at such an affair

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The more I see of the loadouts stuff the more annoying most of it looks. I got douche chills from the whole video.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Morshu posted:

Wow, I am really disappointed with those flood models. They don't look remotely like how the flood did. They don't even seem to have the little red feeler things :smith:

Change for the sake of change, I guess. I also like how the busted rear end end of the Forward Unto Dawn got a makeover somehow despite being adrift in deep space for 4 years. There have always been some aesthetic changes between the games, but most of it was easily explained away or due to graphical upgrades while some of this stuff is just ...why? If that picture hadn't been labeled "Flood" then they could have been any generic FPS zombie monster.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

InfinEight posted:

/\/\ Also this, I wish 343 hadn't neutered the playlists in Reach so much.

I was hoping for some crazy new Promethean vehicle, like a hover-scooter or a laser-dirigible or even a glowing orange pogo-stick. Oh well :sigh:

After all of these blatant "No, there won't be this in the game, oh but actually there is", I'm half expecting them to announce dual wielding next week.

Apparently you pull a magnum out of your rear end whenever you have the flag now, so I guess that technically counts as dual wielding. That mech is cool I guess, I hope they just keep adding ridiculous poo poo so that there's no time to notice if anything's balanced between all the explosions.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

If you can send a mongoose/ghost into the legs of the mech and topple it over, everything is worth it. Everything.

The mongoose has to be launched out of a mancannon as your passenger jumps off and sticks a grenade to the back of the vehicle. You jump off just before the mongoose crashes into the mech and explodes. Somehow a tank and a couple other guys are involved and they explode too, and just as spectacularly. Just then, your team scores the last flag capture.

That is the Halo I know and love and if all 343's bullshit somehow encourages more poo poo like that instead of *brrap brrap brrap* WINNAR it'll all be worth it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing a page or two ago. If you go with 30 different guns with too many niches, people are just going to feel like they never have the right gun for a given situation and gravitate to the most utilitarian weapon (i.e. the BR in Halo 2/3). Then you end up with one gun that everyone uses all the time, two other basic starter guns (like a pistol and an AR) three or four OSK power weapons that get a lot of use, and 22 cool weapons with neato, highly situational functions that no one really gives a poo poo about outside of customs or "oh man, we got matched with total scrubs. I'm gonna wreck these chumps with [dumb gun no one uses]."

Plus, unlike Halo 2/3 there's no dual wielding to contend with, so presumably we won't have to worry about certain weapons' usability being watered down. I really hope this approach to the weapon balance works, because it would be a real shame to go back to 420 xxBRxx shot pr0 only bullshit with all the different guns in the sandbox this time.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
For marketing bullshit for a game it's not bad, but it does come off like The CW presents: Halo High. Nice to see they filmed it in Vancouver though.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that university campus and some of those actors showed up on BSG also, probably Stargate too.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Tezzeract posted:

Just saw it too. Wow, the CGI rendering is ridiculously good!

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding, the people almost looked real.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Some of BSG's best episodes were filled with "awful drama" and loads of dialogue. If we ever got a Halo series we should be so lucky if it were that thoughtful in between epic action set pieces.

If anybody at HBO (the network) had balls or a desire to have a go at some decent science fiction, Halo would be a great opportunity. Too bad Forward Unto Dawn is probably as close as we'll get.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That vid made me feel better about how they're handling the multiplayer, and CA's maps are looking just as awesome as their previous work. I love the matchbox car playset thing they had going on with the vehicles in that one map. Plus Jennifer Hale :fap:

They need to get somebody who isn't generic as balls for the soundtrack though. The game's not even out yet and I'm already bored with the music.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The trailer only really works if you remember The Fall of Reach and the stuff in it about the Chief's origins, but yeah even then it was kind of flat and unexciting; on it's own I'm not sure how it's supposed to make me care about what's happening. The CG was really good though. Were any of those people real?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how Bungie used to be all "we don't want to reference too much stuff from the books so people who don't read them won't be lost when it comes to the games" and now that the expanded fiction is convoluted as poo poo 343's gone the other way.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

I absolutely hate it personally. I don't have much interest in lovely spin off fiction, and turning around and rolling it back into the main games just disconnects me from the series.

Gears 3 suffered from this. There was a point early on in the campaign where myself and three of my friends playing coop all went 'Uh... did we miss something?'. Apparently there were some events that occured in a novel between G2 and G3 or something?

Most game stories tend to be crap, especially action games, but they get that much worse when they start referencing out of game material, comic books, animated shorts, novels, etc.

Speaking as someone who liked most of the first few Halo novels, I feel the same way now. I mean, First Strike was kind of a weird little side story that explained how the Chief got back to Earth between the first and second games, but there was nothing in it that you needed to know or be aware of to understand Halo 2. With Halo 4, there's all this backstory that's been introduced in the novels and terminals and lovely anime that you should be aware of to even really get excited about the story for this game. What's more, there's little motivation to keep track of it all since at any given point they'll just retcon anything if the existing canon inconveniences somebody's fanboy ideas in some way (though to be fair Bungie was keen on doing that too).

I like the bit where we're not the descendents of the Forerunners anymore. Now we're a race that lost some war with the Forerunner 100,000 years or so ago and as punishment were devolved into prehistoric people and dumped on Earth. They thought we were that bad. That big of a threat.

But after doing that they made us heirs to all they left behind, including a weapon array that can wipe out all life in the loving galaxy, so we're cool.

At least I read that on Halopedia instead of paying money for a video game novel. :haw:

Yeah, holy gently caress I don't know if it's just Halopedia's summaries of all that bullshit tainting my perception of the narrative they've come up with, or if it's the fact that the whole thing comes off like the writers all got stoned and scribbled out a half-remembered episode of Stargate Atlantis at 3 AM the day the story was due.

And oh yeah the Flood were such an unstoppable threat that the Forerunner needed to build machines to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy just to defeat them, but wait our NEW game's enemies are like, Forerunner commandos that are like, 10 times more badass than the Flood and have tron guns and skull faces!!! See they're so badazz!!11

Halo's fiction has always been very derivative and not exactly high concept, but whoever is approving the overall shape the universe is taking is either a 13 year old kid who doesn't jack off enough or they really are too afraid to do anything compelling.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

I think it's an inherent problem with power fantasy fiction, and with setting your story around apocalyptic events.

After you do that, there's nowhere to go. You're already firmly in comic book/dragonball land, forced to come up with a new big bad who is even more dangerouser. Which is ridiculous, if the original threat had the potential to wipe out all life in the galaxy.

I really think continuing the story with Master Chief was a mistake. And Cortana becoming sexier in each release is straight creepy.

But on the other hand, it's going to sell millions, so I'm clearly in the wrong here :v:

That's it, exactly. You just saved literally everyone anywhere from the Worst Things Ever, there's nothing you can do after that with these characters that won't feel contrived and tacked on. If you start your story with the end of the world you can't wrap that poo poo up and come back 5 years later going "But wait, now it's ending... more, somehow! Have another verbose, vaguely British sounding humanoid bad guy!"

My theory for a long time was that they were going to dump the Chief in the distant past and have him fight ancient flood and crazy Forerunner machines and whatnot, so you get all the big epic shtick without running into these problems, at least not as badly. They could have stuck with doing smaller stories with new characters like in ODST, or something radical like Halo Wars 2, where you have to rebuild the galaxy and not get your colonies wasted by Covie pirates or something. Oh well.

See, this is where it's nice not having read the books at all. I never really saw any of the inconsistencies all the people who read them were pitching a fit about.

I couldn't be bothered looking them up either. I haven't read The Fall of Reach in years so I can't speak to how bad any inconsistencies between it and the game were, except that I got the impression the book made the invasion seem way more apocalyptic and dire. Different mediums have their strengths and weaknesses, I guess.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

thetrin posted:

Every game series that has been running for so long has lore that resonates with someone somewhere. It's a derivative universe, but I find it entertaining. The aesthetic and the overarching lore are what bring me back to Halo (and the gameplay certainly helps considerably). I realize that makes me a child, but I can't help what I enjoy.

A lot of it can just be pure nostalgia, too. No matter what retarded poo poo they add to the lore I just can't look away because of all the fun I had with CE and 2 back in the day, and if you're a fan of popular sci fi you eventually stop caring when something you like inevitably gets run into the dirt. Hell, sometimes you become a goon and learn to enjoy it. :getin:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There were insurrectionist bases in Halo Wars so it's not like Reach was the first time the concept turned up in the games. Yes I know nobody played Halo Wars shut up :colbert:

Seriously though the exposition about that in Reach was just thorough enough without being overwhelming and you'd have to be pretty slow witted or not paying attention to be confused by it. "Why would humans fight each other THERE ARE ALIENS TO SHOOT what are you doing"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else get really confused for a second when they see "Master Chef" in the TV listings

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

empathe posted:

In it for the long haul.

I really hope I'm given reason to stick around for the long haul. I'm feeling more optimistic about the multiplayer now than I was a few months ago, but I'm still convinced they'll inevitably neuter the game with the first title update.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

InfinEight posted:

Also here's this if anyone is interested:

It sucks that they can render all that detail, only to have it wasted on such ugly designs.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
His suit's inner layer is like the stillsuits from Dune, your poop and pee gets turned into water.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Namaste posted:

The Master Chief is supposed to be sixteen years old. Did you sound like Steve Downes when you were sixteen years old?

No, but I bet Master Chief did. Faux Master Chieves suck. :colbert: I bet Steve Downes is just too busy getting laid and listening to rock and roll to do stuff like this.

Anyway that was pretty good. I loved the tension with the cloaked Elite and how the Chief just takes that fucker down.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

Its not awful. But it sounds like it came out of the Hans Zimmer music factory.

Yeah, this is what it reminds me of. I appreciate the change in direction even if the direction isn't memorable because it sounds like everything else, I guess.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

I really hope they don't listen to the MLG crowd. I played Reach at a friends this week and there were so many annoying changes. Most game types had most powers taken out, you were limited to 2 people on a console for anything but 3 game types and they severely limited the amount of maps available, lots of gametypes with a focus on BRs and no radar or shields. It was just very hard to get any variation or even maps with vehicles.

I'm hoping that the sheer amount of poo poo they're throwing at the wall with this game will discourage them from editing most of the fun away at a later date.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question, if I walk into an EB later today and try to preorder a (non-LE) copy, will I be able to?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Evil Badman posted:

Uh yes, mainly because they'll have a billion copies anyways. Big releases like this trump the "only getting enough copies to cover preorders" line that gets peddled.

Yep, got my receipt. I guess I'll be going to the midnight launch.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The worst part of going to a midnight launch and getting into the express line is finding out that all nearby pubs/bars are inexicably closed.

Goddamnit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how to play this why is the UI all screwy what happened

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why do all the guns sound like a pile of kids playing with lego bricks

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't recall Halo 3 or Reach having issues like this at launch.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, it's been long enough that the only issues I remember with 3 early on was that thing where everybody was killing each other at the same time in too many melee encounters.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
After a bunch of matches, this game is everything I came to hate about Halo 3 with prettier graphics and some extra bullshit to distract me. I still have the campaign to do eventually and it's not unplayable with goons, but I feel kinda bad that I let the hype sucker me. This probably sounds like more of a negative impression than I intended.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you have all of them? You know there's a shitton of them, right? Like there's easily 10x more heads, arms, chest, legs than in Reach.

I can understand you hating some, I think some look derpy as hell.

But you can't find a single one you like? really? I find that hard to believe.

You can find pictures of most or all of the helmets online. I think most of them are pretty fugly looking unfortunately. The Scout helmet is back and better than ever though, and since it's always been my favourite I can't really complain. Anyone know what level that unlocks at?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

I have to say I'm starting to not like being able to have BR starts. Every match I play is absolutely dominated by them. What's the point of other weapons if everybody skips them for the BR.

At least there's some variety between the BR and the DMR, so when you get sick of being plinked off by one you can get plinked off by the other.

Maybe it'll change up when more people unlock poo poo. Probably not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Y'know, I genuinely don't like that they 'overwrite' the armour of the Spartans in the opening cutscene. I guess it was a time-0saving option, but I don't know, it just feels really skeevy and lazy to me.

Seems strange that they'd do that and then think to include it as an unlockable.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, simply splitting up the BR's role between a bunch of slightly different overpowered weapons hasn't prevented the return of one of the most tedious aspects of Halo 3's multiplayer.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to know how bad Legendary is. Normal is frustrating enough.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

limited posted:

Ditto, I even booted the game down to easy just to try and just enjoy the scenery and cutscenes, and I'm still grinding my teeth. Everything beyond a grunt is a annoying bulletsponge, and has little to no feedback. I can put half my ammo into one knight or elite, giving it no chance to shield up, and it'll still be standing. Then just down another in one clip with no noticable difference of where I'm aiming.

Bitching aside, it does look goddamn fantastic. It's just tedious to slog through to the next awesome cutscene or vista, and the whole game just feels too much like that god awful Cortana level from Halo 3.

To be fair I might just be really rusty since I haven't played any Halo or hell, any shooters at all in months, but these tron guys are every bit as annoying to fight as the Flood were. I'm still fairly early into the campaign so I'm hoping it'll turn around, but yeah... so far it's pretty to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I've had every Halo game since 2 on launch day, read the first 4 books and if I hadn't of wasted entirely too much time reading Halo wikia months ago, I'd probably be like :what: for most of what I've seen in this campaign so far. Like most everybody else I like or at least appreciate the Chief/Cortana interactions, but otherwise I can't figure out why I'm expected to care about Didact and his fuckery beyond there just needing to be some more poo poo to get in the Chief's way. I should really shut up until I finish the game though, I'm still at the part with the Mammoths when my will to keep playing it died.

Also Gildersneeze:

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm someone who doesn't have a stable job and actually bought this game by returning ten games to the local store, so I don't have Gold and my question is in regard of single player, not multiplayer. Been doing this with all the halo games.

• Locked thread