Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy gently caress, they do not look at all like they use to. I don't like this new design half as much, it's more alien monster than parasitic zombie.

I preferred the spore-like blooms the old flood forms had, making it look more plant or fungus like. Those Cheshire grins are hilarious!

So is this the new zombie modes? About time the zombie models were zombie looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Haven't seen much vehicle stuff for campaign. Some of my favorite set pieces in previous games were centered around big sections of driving and gunning. If they do have vehicle sections, it'll be interesting to see how the Prometheans stand against my tank.

(Answer: they won't.)

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Can you see if its possible to sit a Mantis on top of a Falcon and make a flying death fortress tia

Have we seen falcons in the game?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Doggles posted:

IGN accidentally posted the reveal for the next multiplayer map, Meltdown, early. Of course someone has already gotten a copy of it uploaded to YouTube before IGN took their video down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBGeAleqaY

I like how the terrain, particularly the rock surfaces, have a digital painting look. It stops the surfaces from having a "repeated texture" effect that a lot of games have had.

The narrow canyons make me think of vehicle combat on rats nest, a real chance for us to smash our toys into each other while making 'vroom vroom!' Noises.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

kater posted:

Didn't that change for Reach? It defaults to CoD's let it ride system instead of asking if you want to party up?

Or do you mean it still boots the entire group out to the queue instead of just picking up the missing slots? I can't remember if Reach did that, but that's... dumb.

In cod you can join a game thats already started. That becomes a permanent lobby for future games with those players until you leave.

While you couldn't join mid-game, at least once you've got a game you default to lobbying up with those players at the end of the match

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

According to a leak, Halo 4 will be on two disks with the second disk being for multiplayer installation. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/12/halo-4-leak-being-investigated-disc-2-contains-multiplayer-inst/?a_dgi=aolshare_twitter

I'm cool with two disks. Its more room for good content.

I'm fine with an install disk - faster load times, more content.

I'm somewhat ambivalent towards the 3 forge maps, none of them are setting my imagination afire the way forgeworld did.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
As hokey as it may be, I love the story and lore for halo. But I also don't mind being spoiled

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
It will be interesting to see how much the game talks about stuff revealed in the forerunner books, how much is explained. Really, they have the challenge of writing the game for two audiences. Those of us that delve deep into the fiction, read the books, (or at least browse the wiki) and know what the gently caress is up, and those of use for whom the story begins and ends with the games.

For those that delve deep into the Expanded Universe, they can put in references, add weight to the universe and create a richer experience.

For those that don't, the can write a mystery. "Who is this guy? What the gently caress is he babbling about? What's this giant spaceship? Who are the smaller robots that look like my big green robot? Oh wait they're people? Am I people too? Give me some answers blue ghost hand lady that lives in the back of my head!"

You can establish them as mysteries, but the games will at some stage need to front up and give you satisfying answers . this is where it becomes tricky. How do you get the game-only audience to go "Oh, my robot is people!" without the EU crowd going "Well, duh! i knew that, game!" The information needs to be delivered with smatterings of new info for even the hardcore fans, or delivered so it has weight for the characters.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Given the context of who the main bad guy is, I much prefer the tagline "An acient hatred returns"

spoiler for Halo 4 main adversary and forerunner prequel books discussion: I'm actually really chuffed that the main antagonist in this game is the guy that actually pulled the trigger on the Halos last time, and that he's got a major hate-on for humanity. Didact has got a lot of idealogical and personal reasons to hate humanity; Humans were chose over the Forerunners as inheritors of The Mantle, Humans fought a bitter long war with the Forerunners and the didact personally, and the didact's 'wife', the Librarian favored humans and protected them despite his opinions on them.

I also like the idea that Chief is facing the guy who, in his position last time around, pulled the trigger on the Halos. The Didact did what he had to, sacrificed most of the sentient life in the Galaxy and his own civilisation to stop the Flood. He put the mantle and duty above all else.

Chief, however, didn't light the Halos, he chose to risk everything to save humanity. This petty, greedy species that breeds like vermin and bickers amongst itself, destined to inherit the mantle doesn't give a poo poo about the rest of the galaxy and the preservation of all life. Despite this, the Precursors and the Librarian chose the humans, Chief, over Didact!

No wonder the guy is pissed!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Moose King posted:

Just reading this post really makes me consider reading those Forerunner prequel books. Are they worth reading, or would I just be better off reading the Halo wiki for an hour or two?

I'm not going to say they're good, I think I enjoyed the first one more than the second.

There's a lot of stuff in the forerunner books that is pretty out there. In a lot of ways, it feels like a different fictional universe. I can only suggest giving the books a try and if you don't dig them, stop reading and go for the Wiki.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Grifball was a mod of assault and we've seen a Grifball gametype.

So at the very least, I expect we can modify Grifball to play like basketbomb.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
That was a whole lot of fun, and hit so many right notes. The swell of the Halo theme as an undercurrent, the Cadet's reactions to the SPARTANS, everything.

The more I watched, the more Chief's voice does sound like Downes, but it still sounded different, and here is why I think it was meant to have a subtle difference.

During the games Chief's voice has a deeper timbre, it sounds more solid and centralized, because we ARE the chief. In FUD, we see hings form the perspective of the Cadets, so we don't get that sound of our own voices reverbrating inside our throats, our heads.

Either that or it's the difference between videogame sound and movie sound.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Trueskill was never designed to tell players how good they were, it's a matchmaking tool design to make sure players have fun and challenging games. By exposing TS in Halo 3, and tying it directly to the game's advancement and armor unlock systems meant that some players played "Trueskill" instead of playing "Halo 3"

I don't know how well others enjoyed Reach's arena because I played a grand total of 4 games in it, but it seemed like a fresher way to approach leaderboard gameplay.

After watching a few hours of the Machinima stream, I do like how points are awarded for various actions that contribute to you team. I saw a guy get 5 points because the enemy were shooting him and he died, but this allowed his team mate to kill the enemy. I'm going to get so many distraction medals!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

fivegears4reverse posted:

As far as I know, unlocks and rank progression in Halo 4 are not tied to trueskill. They are tied only to how many points you make per game.

I've been watching the stream, and this is what i've been able to figure out.

You earn XP or credits or whatever playing games, which you need to go up Spartan Ranks. Some armor is unlocked at certain Spartan Ranks, other armor gets unlocked when you complete a certain challenge, like getting Wheelman to master. You don't seem to need to buy the armor, it just unlocks once you meet the prerequesite conditions.

To unlock weapons Armor Abilities, and perks, you spend Spartan Points. SP are awarded whenever you go up a Spartan Rank.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ah Pook posted:

The guy's a whiny gently caress and not very good but I have to agree that the TTK seems too low.

The people he's been playing against have been playing nonstop h4 for like 30 hours? They know the maps back to front by this point and they're playing as a team so yeah he's gonna die like a chump while he learns the buttons.

Because there's instant respawn, both teams are at full strength 90% of the time. I don't know strategy for poo poo but I wold guess that means you gotta play more defensively if you want to survive for any length of time. Or get used to playing a game with faster, more hectic firefights?

I watched most of sarks shift, and he actually seemed like a pretty chill guy. They spent some time in customs checking out bullet spread and shots to kill with a bunch of weapons and kept dragging his buddy into big team so they could goof off in vehicles. :unsmith:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The Incinerator cannon? Yeah it's an absolute beast. I love it. Also it feels like the DMR is completely irrelevant now. The Battle rifle is just a 3 shot burst DMR with no drawbacks.

From the test I saw in the stream, DMR is more accurate when zoomed by a lot so it's going to be better at longer ranges light rifle is the most accurate of the 3, but their tests on its damage was inconclusive.

Carbine was messy unscoped at full fire, but much more accurate zoomed in. The also argued ad nauseum whether its kar-byne or kar-bean.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Namaste posted:

The full intro to Spartan Ops:

http://youtu.be/47lQ4WPCHcY

I could listen to Jennifer Hale boss me around all day

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Creepy Goat posted:

Ahhh this is annoying. I assumed it would have a long reload time and crappy accuracy to balance it so I could make a heavy weapons character; more of a suppression weapon that knocks enemies aim and movement around for tighter teamwork in matches.

You an equip the suppressor, which is the successor to the covenant concussion rifle from what I can tell?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Did you work on facial animation/capture? It really gives life to the characters for both powerful emotions and subtle inflections. The body acting is also top notch.

I felt like an old guy at my local midnight launch, but my 56 year old dad Sadat his local midnight release grabbing his copy with a big goofy grin on his face. When we got home we played the first 2 levels then some war games with some other mates and OH BOY do we suck!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Pallet Pusher posted:

After purchasing a new TV, a used Xbox 360, 32GB Flash Drive, HDMI cable, Microphone, and Halo 4, I put in Reach for a little warm up, and I remember Xbox doesn't have built in wireless. I also forgot I need to pay to play online. I had an Xbox 3 or 4 years ago, replaced it with a PS3, and totally took the built in wireless and free online play for granted.

If its a Used slim they do have wireless built in

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Final Gloom posted:

One of the things that jarred me about Reach was how there seemed to be a medal for everything. It gets to the point where the only ones you notice are the sprees, multikills, and yoinks.

....yoinks are back, right?

Hell yeah they are! Yoink and assassination are the only medals worth crowing about.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I can understand why they made her human, and why they didn't bother with real clothes, but I can't understand why they gave her properly rendered feet.

The in-universe explaination is that AIs choose their appearance so cortana wants to look like a hot blue naked lady, so take from that what you will I guess.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

BR0ME0 posted:

Can someone post, in spoiler tags of course, what those of us that have only played the games need to know about the story to understand what the gently caress is going on?

I didn't realize there were books and random videos, and its kind of lame feeling like Im missing out on game story because of it.

They should really have had some kind of primer included.

Spoilers about the main antagonist for Halo 4

100 thousand years ago, the Didact led the Forerunners against a violent young spacefaring race called humanity. The Forerunners defeated Humanity and devolved them, stipping away their technology and advanced society.

Later the forerunners discovered that Humanity was actually invading their territory because they were fleeing from an invading force, the Flood. A lot of Humanity's power and advancement had been gained by questioning a creature they'd found trapped in a time-lock prison that they referred to as The Captive. When asked about The Flood, The Captive had once told a group of the leading humans a secret so terrible the leaders all killed themselves.

The Forerunners fought the Flood, but weakened by their protracted war with humanity, it was a losing battle. The elite faction of forerunners called Builders, constructed a last resort weapon to destroy all life the Flood feeds upon. Initially, the didact was opposed to the weapon, but ended up using it when it became clear they could not stop the Flood.

The Lifeworker faction of the forerunners, led by the Librarian (The Didact's wife) selected humanity as the inheritors of the mantle, a semi-religous belief the Forerunners had that an advanced culture has the responsibility to oversee, nurture, and guide lesser species in their development.

The Didact believed that his old enemy, humanity, was unworthy to claim the mantle, and did some bad poo poo that got him locked up on Requiem.

the Librarian wrote a genetic predisposition that would guide humanity's evolution down a particular path that would result in warriors like the Spartans, and Chief in particular. And then she died, on earth i think.

Super spoilers about faith shaking revelations the main antagonist discovered.
The Forerunners believed they inherited the Mantle from an even older race called the Precursors. The Didact discovered that The Captive which had been freed and was let loose on one of the halos was a Precursor, and also inextricably linked to The Flood. The Precursor told the didact that Precursors and flood were "One and the Same".

The Precursor also told the Didact that the forerunners had been groomed for inheriting the mantle but found lacking, and were going to be destroyed so that humanity could be groomed for the task. When the forerunners learned this they flipped their poo poo and rebelled against the precursors, wiping them out.

So the Didact hates humanity because we were his bitter foe in the Forerunner-Human war, and because we were the favored race of the Precursors he'd essentially worshipped, and because his wife liked us more than him.

Probably irrelevant spoiler about some other stuff in the forerunner books.

The original Didact was actually an even bigger dude than the one we meet in the game. The one we meet, whose name is Bornstellar Makes Eternal lasting, is the body of the son of one of the elite builders that the Didact kinda kidnapped, and later implanted his identity into. When the original Didact is killed by bornstellar's dad, the Didact's personality takes him over.

This points to the Didact as being one hard son of a bitch to kill.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Zaphod42 posted:

That was all a great writeup, and accurate. Although, on the last thing,

Its not really something unique to the Didact. I'm pretty sure that was something all the Forerunners, or at least all the Builders or Promethean, could do. The Didact does it to Bornstellar in order to give him his knowledge/abilities, but it also kinda makes him into his reincarnation after The Didact dies. I think this kinda implies it was a thing they could do, like a Vulcan mind meld.

The way I see it, all forerunner, being at the extreme point of evolution, mixing biological and AI, can do this. AI could effectively do this, copy themselves, Cortana does that in the ending. Forerunner are approaching AI (And the composer literally makes this so) and so can do this.

So I guess maybe The Didact isn't dead, or even if he isn't dead, could come back, and that's the threat in Halo 5 and 6? I dunno. It seemed like he was pretty darn gone, because its not like he can just reincarnate. He has to pass on his data/genes beforehand...OH WAIT... poo poo that was probably the first thing he did...

More talk about the forerunners' tech and society.
I believe it's across the board for all the forerunner castes.

Young "Pre-pubescant" Forerunners are called Manipulars, nd are the baseline forerunners before much genetic specialization has gone on. When they reach adulthood, they would then take their first of a number of mutations to join one of the castes. A young forerunner is usually expected to joing the same caste as his family, but this doesn't always happen.

At any rate, i got the impression that bornstellar pretty much ended up being the Didact's chump since there doesn' seem to be much of him left at all.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

SpazmasterX posted:

Yeah, I don't care for this CoD loadout bullshit they're putting on me. Not exactly fair to new players when everyone can see through walls and stupid crap like that.

Most gmetypes have a few default gametypes in addition to the ones you've unlocked so you can get access to some of the nicer perks even at level 1

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

-A n i m 8- posted:

I did animation on six in-game cutscenes, notably the first and the last one. Worked on some in game cycles. Did design and animation for the elevator climb (with the elite up top)and the missile launch that blows up the cruiser in the first mission. Did some promKnights ingame stuff like the promKnight nailing and Elite, giving orderes etc. I am sure I am missing something.

All the cutscenes were great, the facial and body animations really sold the performances!

I'm really interested in this, did you work with the actor's capture much? was there a lot of tweaking involved once you got the raw data? Did you work much on prop animation?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there anyway in matchmaking to set it so you only start new games? 3 out of my last 4 games we started in the middle of a match where we were already down by a few hundred points.

Look at the hAlf game as a more interesting matchmaking lobby, and after that game don't back out and you'll start a new one soon. The premise is that losing a game is more fun than waiting for a game.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
The season pass map pack is listed with a bunch of other stuff under one code. I did the same thing until I went back and reread the card

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Mister Chief posted:

How do you actually play Dominion? I joined one game half way through and had no idea what I was doing.

Dominion you capture and keep the bases, build turrets and stuff for bases your team owns and blow that poo poo up on your enemy's base

If a team owns all the bases the game goes into sudden death mode. The team with no bases stops respawning and must capture a base before they all die.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Bedshaped posted:

Just a question about the main Antagonist and something else for people who have read the books:

Is "The Didact" the character's name or is it a title similar to "The Arbiter" or "Das Fuhrer"?

Someone earlier in the thread said that the Precursors and the Flood were 'one and the same'. What does this mean exactly? Is gravemind a precursor?

The main antagonist: The Didact got his title while teaching at "College of Strategic Defense of the Mantle" which was a war college for Forerunners. It wasn't an official position, more his moniker.

Answer to your other question: The Primordial, (AKA the Captive) was not very forthcoming about the exact nature of the relationship between the Precursors and the Flood, though it is implied that the Flood was a revenge or failsave by the precursors to return in some form and take vengance againat the forerunners for wiping out their creators.

The Precursors believed that all life, matter, and energy were linked in some basic level, so the Flood could also have been their attempt at transendance, a biological way for them to overcome existence as small individuals and become one great organism. That's purely speculation on my part though.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Morshu posted:

Is that what happened? I thought (ending spoilers) She just put a some kind of shield up around you. It wouldn't make sense for her to bring you inside the thing you were blowing up. That whole scene was kinda strange anyways. I loved the rest of the ending though.

This is how I saw that ending scene:

All through the game you've been exposed to Forerunner hard light technology. The light bridges the hard light shield armor ability. Most of the forerunner weapons all operate using Hard Light. They're telegraphing the concept of "Light you can touch."

Cortana uses the hard light bridge to send solid version of herself to hold down the Didact, this communicates the idea of "A Cortana you can touch". After Chief detonates the bomb, she wraps the bridge around him to create a safe bubble. (On a side note, this is a sphere that mirrors the didact's ship, a nice bit of symmetry.)

Cortana creates a final hard light part of herself to say goodbye to the chief in person before the hard light bubble dissipates.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of Chief being digitized until I read it in this thread.

I also want to talk at length about the themes in Halo 4 and how they relate to the themes in the series as a whole. i'll start with a few talking points here though I guess.

Spoilered because it does involves so big stuff about the ending.

One of the big themes in the halo games and fiction is the noble sacrifice, Heroes are people willing to give up their lives in order to protect or save something precious.

In the book Fall of reach, you see Spartans give their lives so their vital missions won't fail, in the games, a character will give their life to stop a great evil, and tell the protagonist to fight on. Jorge in reach, Keyes in Halo CE, Miranda and Johnson in Halo 3. The Chief loses those closest to him, but still has his mission and fights on. Of all of these mentioned, you see the effects on Chief the most from Johnson's death, and a lot of that is communicated in Cortana.

All of these people gave their lives to save something bigger, usually Humanity as a whole.

In Halo 4, one of the Chief's core goals is more personal than any of his others. He wants to save Cortana. This is kept in the forefront of your mind becuase she is travelling with you and you can see the effects first hand. She's sufferring and coming apart and there's nothing the Chief can do except keep moving forward and hoping, believing that the answer to saving his friend is at the end of their journey.

Just as her predicament and the Chief's goal is more personal, so is her final sacrifice. She's not giving up her life for humanity, that's not her fight this time. She does it to save John. In her rampancy, this is the last scrap of herself she can hold onto, the one thing she can keep her focus on, and the one thing she can control. She lets go of everything else to save him one last time before she's gone.

Because she was so close to him (and us, the players) Cortana's death hits the hardest. It more personal a loss for the Chief, and more personal a sacrifice for her. It's the first time we're shown in a game that John was focused on a personal goal, and despite all his strength he was unable to save her. His failure cost him a personal connection that he may have been unwilling to sacrifice to complete his mission.

This loss obviously shakes him, and gives him a point to start from as he redefines his image of himself. "If i am not the perfect Soldier, if i'm not going to be a machine, what am I going to be?"

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So it's probably a little early for people to be dicking around with Forge/customs, but if any of you have, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. When you go into custom games, one of the game options you can set is whether "Map Loadouts" are enabled or disabled. Presumably you can set up loadouts specific to certain maps, because when you play online there's usually two extra loadouts to choose from. The question is, where the hell do you set those? Maybe I'm just retarded but I can't find them in Forge or the game options. Anyone figured this out?

I haven't explored nearly thoroughly enough, map loadouts may be default loadouts that are hard-set. You can also make loadouts in the gametype, and set whether they show up with or instead of custom loadouts.

I've made a map and gametype where the objective is to get into a warthog and splatter everyone else. I did notice that i ran out of wall/window pieces before I was done, which was a little disappointing. I improvised with bridges and other pieces though so next time I'm on and can get a group together we will have a splatterfest free for all.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

-A n i m 8- posted:

Dude, I am in content creation so I have NO idea the magic that goes on under the hood :( I am sure there are multiple reasons for the current Forge features.

I imagine the other maps have a lot more going on resource-wise while the forge maps are designed so that most of the processing power can be devoted to rendering the forge bits.

Side note: Magnetism, object lock, and duplicate object are such great timesavers! Having Lock and Dupe on the D-pad makes it really fast to quickly construct the basics for your map.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Iced Cocoa posted:

4 AM writing while also bit drunk. I like to keep good stuff, but kept the halo games because plot was pretty okayish for a FPS shooter game, but since plot is now lovely, I no longer want to keep the games. And that I can't afford Xbox Gold for multiplayer bits.

There is a story for the main antagonist, you kind of get the gist of it from what he says and others say about him in the game. They don't put a lot of exposition in the game for two reasons:

First of all, mister chef doesn't have time to sit around and watch YouTube videos and read the halo wiki before his big cook off at the end of the game. Who cares who this guy is, blue hand lady just told John Halo, Mister Chef that he's got to make 500 gourmet party pies to make for a grunt birthday party!

The other reason is that there are roughly two kinds of halo fans that play campaign.

The first is just churning through the latest action games campaign and then some matchmaking before call of blops 4 comes out.

The second kind of player is dorks like me that read the poorly written books, watches all the webisodes, makes edits on the wiki to spell sangheili right and posts way too many words about the campaign in here. These guys already know who this bad guy is, and that he choked when it came to his own big cook-off at the end of forerunner 4. They don't need the extra exposition, they learned it all while researching for their 2000 page fanfic about John halo and and last firstrunner kissing in an elevator and racing each other to the next switch.

Now it sucks that means the campaign isn't fun for you, maybe Halo 5's story will be more engaging and the big set piece bake sales will be more impressive.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
Yep once you get "SPARTAN IV" to rank 50 you can do other specialisations. Each spec class has 10 ranks to go through.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

No, I never did that, and I resent the accusation that I did!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Here's the official Ban Thread over at the Waypoint forums. Should be plenty of tears up ins.

I love the idlers saying if they can't earn XP they're not going to play the game. They weren't playing anyway! The only difference from them not playing because of XP ban, and not playing to earn XP while idling is that they're not making GBS threads on someone else's day if they do the former.

:byewhore:

Halo 3 had boosters, idlers, quitters, and people manipulating the true skill system all over the place, it certainly wasn't a temple of online matchmaking virtue. Reach and H4 definitely don't feel as bad as H3 did in terms of people making GBS threads on your experience for a little number or a silly hat.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Alabaster White posted:

A few questions about the game:

-Why does it feel like my guns do completely random amounts of damage at times? Sometimes it takes more than a mag to down some guy who doesn't have any shields, and then sometimes it takes only a couple shots to kill someone from full health. The same seems to apply to me as sometimes I seem completely invincible and at other times I'm losing fights where I have an overshield and got the drop on the guy I'm fighting.

-Is the Suppressor any good in MP? I absolutely love how it handles but I don't want to waste precious Spartan Points on it if it's terrible :tinfoil:

-What level do you get the EVA helmet at?

-Would anyone be interested in playing any custom Forge maps? I love Forge and wouldn't mind making some stuff for people to actually play :v:

A goon after my own heart!

-I was using the suppressor in regicide and hill matches last night and doing quite well. It's going to do poo poo for you in a ranged match but cqc it's very nice. Also you get plenty of spartan points so don't be frugal with that poo poo

-You get EVA gear at SR27

I love forge and making custom games. After watching that dominion video earlier in the thread I'm all pumped for some fort building.

My personal custom game and forge map combo is SPLATTERHAUS. Two warthogs in the middle of a small arena map. Players spawn with nothing but a plasma sword and some plasma grenades. Melee kills get you 1 point and splatter kills get you 10, so it's all about jackin' hogs and mowing down pedestrians. The game type's settings make this play out as fun mayhem with no real need for "gentlemen's agteement" rules.

Gilder, that sucks about basket bomb we loved playing that in H3 and I've been eagerly anticipating its return in 4.

I love a good customs night full of good maps, terrible maps, and unique fun game modes that make halo play like something completely different.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

BabyMauler posted:

If anything this week's missions are great because you spend more time in a Scorpion. And that it does not handle like rear end the way it did in Reach. More maps need them in dominion, people have rockets and snipers out the rear end, why not a few tanks that aren't the wraith.

My biggest problem with the multiplayer maps is that they feel so cramped for vehicle driving. I understand the need for cover, and not wanting to have players too spread out on a giant map, but where's our sandtraps, our avalanches?

There are ways to break up line of sight for rifles that still allow vehicles flowing movement and to drive them in fun ways without bouncing off walls. I'd love some forge maps with some rolling hills and open areas, the current 3 forge maps feel a bit pokey and cluttered, even in their blank canvas states. Impact is probably the most open of them, but if you want a large floor, you have to use coliseum walls, and they're rather flat and dull.

I have made a functioning Dominion map in Ravine, but I'm sure it will play terribly. I pretty much just watched that waypoint how to video and went "he'll yeah I'm gonna make some forts!" The setup isn't too hard, and you can set any structure to the appropriate spawn sequence, label type "DOM_Decor" and have it change color to the team that's captured that base.

Objects can have multiple labels which looks interesting, but I'm not sure how that works or what it might be used for.

Magnets, locking, and duplicating objects is still the greatest improvement in forge! I really can't wait till file browsing comes online and I can get inspiration for making more terrible maps by looking at other people's terrible maps

What are other people's current forge projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's entirely justifiable for some people to call Halsey a monster for what she did, in-universe. After all, most people wouldn't be privy to the same information Halsey was (i.e. if drastic action wasn't taken, the Insurrection would have turned into a full-blown civil war, killing billions). But the fact that one of the people criticising her is the head of ONI, who not only was fully aware of the program and its justification, but actually signed off on the successor program that turned war orphans into suicide attack battalions, is loving ridiculous.

It's made pretty clear throughout the books that most people in a position of power and anyone in ONI either dislike or outright despise Halsey on a personal and professional level. She obviously made a lot of enemies and few friends on her rise to power, so when it came to questions about the SPARTANS after the war was over there were plenty of people more than happy to hang her out to dry.

Parangosky, the old woman in charge may not vilify Halsey for the S2 program that Parangosky herself signed off on, but for more personal reasons in their past. The hearing (or whatever they had) was a long awaited chance for the head of ONI to finally settle an old score.

• Locked thread