Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

"Don't make a girl a promise you can't keep"

As much as I think this sounds incredibly stilted compared to the original, I loving love the idea that it was changed for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's something Cortana says it one of the preview videos.

The original is basically the ending of Halo 2.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Agamembar posted:

Oh I see, I remember the halo 2 ending but I thought you were referring to some sort of retcon/redo they had done.

Yeah that's what I meant. They changed it from "if you know you can't keep it" to "you can't keep". Or something, I don't remember which trailer it was in. I think the new one sounds pretty awkward in comparison, but it's not that big a deal. I just really, really like the idea that it was changed for no reason.

Also that cgi short in Legends was awful.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pretty sure the pass is just something you buy in the Xbox store for 2000 points. There are special cards in store, but all they are is 2000 point cards with Master Chief's head stickered on to them.

I really wish the game was available for download from day 1. Actually, has Microsoft even done multi-disc downloads? Is there a chance this never shows up?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah there was a Eurogamer-con or whatever it's called interview last week that confirmed it. I don't have a clue how it's split up. The 2nd disc might just be an installation thing like Forza does, the multiplayer requires a full 8gb HDD installation.

I think it's great, or at least could be. I really didn't like when Reach and ODST would pause the campaign so that they could cram in a firefight match.

pseudorandom name posted:

edit: A Google search suggests Rockstar has modified disc one of both games to prompt you to download DLC versions of disc 2 (and 3, for LA Noire) when necessary.

Which suggests Microsoft's marketplace backend is horrible. Or maybe they just didn't want to explain to users how to switch discs in a multi-disc game without any actual discs.

That is exceptionally crazy. Then again, it was loving built in 2005. Can't wait for this gen to be over.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Man, I haven't been paying attention to Halo 4 hype so I missed the whole breakdown on the Promethean weapons. I guess they were really trying to hammer home the whole "Covenant co-opted the tech as best they could," because the rifle and pistol dude was using in that Abandon walkthrough look like early versions of the carbine and the plasma pistol. The rifle looks like it performs the same, carries the same 72 reserve ammo, etc.

Someone who's watched other videos/etc, what's the light rifle do differently than say, a carbine or DMR?

All the new weapons are thematically the same as the old kits and have about as much distinction as the Covie stuff does from Human. It's kinda lame, but I feel they found a good excuse. Something about how if you make a weapon too specialized then it's either overpowered or too situational, so they stuck with archetypes people know.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Halo 2 was hilarious in this regard. You bought the map pack and got to play them on a special playlist with everyone else who got the map packs. In 2 months or something the map pack became free for everyone. What was the point?

They did this with the first H3 map pack too and it was ridiculous. $10 to play Standoff OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. And then a few months later it became free. Which wasn't terrible, because Standoff was a dope addition to normal playlists and sometimes that forge map wasn't instantly veto'd.

I really liked the ODST multiplayer disc. They should do something like that again. So long as it's not a part of a loving Halo 2 remake. Well, assuming the Halo 4 multiplayer is actually good.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Didn't that change for Reach? It defaults to CoD's let it ride system instead of asking if you want to party up?

Or do you mean it still boots the entire group out to the queue instead of just picking up the missing slots? I can't remember if Reach did that, but that's... dumb.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Whatever, the ODST live action thing was dope as gently caress.

This was pretty much a non-event. Nothing happened. At all. I guess I'm willing to watch more, but only in the sense that I was willing to watch this in the first place.

And goddamn does the AR make a goofy gun model.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Aren't they supposed to be teenagers? Like, high schoolers? I thought she was great as a kid trying to act like a tough military leader.

I thought the scene that transforms from the kid getting court marshaled into whining about mommy being away was far more ridiculous.

kater fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 6, 2012

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah, don't know what they were thinking with that. Not sure what the point of multiple maps is. I can't think of any environment that would be attractive to use the same lincoln logs over and over again in. They should just let people retexture poo poo.

That said, being able to turn off assassinations or weapon drain or whatever for an entire map is awesome.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pretty sure the 3rd Forge map is just another empty Griffball hangar.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Someone should tell that to all the folks bothering to make a story out of Halo then. They could go play badminton or something.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That's just as wrong as saying the focus of Call of Duty is multiplayer. It might not be for you, but millions of people play the campaign.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Hahah, that's a good one. For a minute there I thought you might have been serious.

There's a reason they still bother to make campaigns. Or did you think Activision likes spending money on poo poo nobody plays?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Uh...

Black Ops

quote:

Stand Down

Complete the campaign on any difficulty.

55.82%

Modern Warfare 3

quote:

Who Dares Wins

Complete the campaign on any difficulty.

56.51%

40 G

I don't even think Raptr is that great of a source, but over 50% of people are completing these campaigns. That's probably more than the amount of people who finish any average videogame.

And because this is a Halo thread:

Reach

quote:

The Soldier We Needed You To Be

Completed the Campaign on Normal difficulty.

53.57%

25 G

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I started playing through Reach for the first time since it came out and man... the start of the first mission is just a jaggy blurry mess. Like the way it does motion blur was just awful. I guess it got better as I played through, but that was one hell of a bad first impression.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Eh. It was alright. Pistol/Shotgun dualwielding let's go.

The description is absurd though:

quote:

Watch the official Halo 4 Launch Trailer, "Scanned." Master Chief's mind is violated by a powerful new enemy, who in searching for Chief's weaknesses, finds the source of his strength.

Was that what I was supposed to get out of it? He's strong because he was a shrimpy kid forever ago and also like alot of dudes died under a scalpel? Or is it because he has weird mother issues with Cortana?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I see two ways about it. The first is buying 7 year old hardware is just flat out stupid. For nearly any price. For $200 it's pretty darn crazy.

The second is if you want it then you want it and should just spend the money.

victrix posted:

And on this week's episode of "Ancient Galactic Evils", Master Chief faces a new even more dangerous threat than the Flood!

Tune in next week for an even morer dangerous threat than the Ancient Evil!

You know they are gonna need to come up with something to do after this Forerunner stuff is done and they need more Halos. Master Chief and Arbiter search for the fountain of youth? Humanity and the Covenant fight each other on a planet inhabited by space pandas?

oh god I just realized Halo 4 and Aliens 3 have an awful lot of parallels.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

She's a dumb high schooler yelling at rich kids pretending to be soldiers and I think she does a good job. In the 2nd episode she pulls rank to steal Lasky's pudding.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Reach was just awful. The Covenant land on Reach undetected and attack some scientist dude? And the important data they were after or maybe not after is left unharmed lying on the floor? And then suddenly the entire planet is covered in Covenant and nobody knew about it?

I read Fall of Reach right before that game came out and that made it even more loving confusing. Who are these pissy little human Spartans that hate Halsey? Why don't the Covenant ships have shields? Why did the robot girl die to a single Needle Rifle round?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

^^^ Their shields are supposed to be... shielded for that. Or maybe that's just the suit electronics in general. Whatever, it was still an incredibly stupid way to take out a character. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not unreasonable for a single prepared ship to be able to land and go unnoticed in a rural area.

You know what, the UNSC deserve to lose. So much of Reach feels like you are the invading party. Go take out those AA guns or that communications jammer or scout out their base whatever the gently caress and then the defenses will work. ITS YOUR PLANET. HOW DID THAT poo poo GET THERE.

Also the Forerunner explosionmachine is the thing that erupts into smaller grenades.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

No, it wasn't. It's very well, and deliberately, crafted to mark the shift in tone, narrative and theme that takes place at that point.

Because earlier when you abandon Jorge to die, crash land into an overrun city, and spend two missions not making one iota of difference as the aliens blow up everything, the game was just sunshine and lollipops? It was a lame death. The ship pops up out of nowhere, she's not wearing a helmet for no particular reason, and gets killed in a way that is impossible for the player.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

victrix posted:

Pretty much. Applying Game Logic :pseudo: to cutscene deaths is a pointless waste of time. Much like the game was trying to show you that sometimes, even super soldiers die pointless deaths.

edit: And you have too died to a lovely sniper before, you just reloaded out of it :haw:

All I'm saying is that the Covenant would be much more of a threat if all of their troops knew how to fire their weapons while still riding in dropships.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Maybe it was impressive back before Halo 2 came out, but after Reach/ODST/3 adopted so many similar elements and kinda made them suck I can't tell what anybody was pining for from that video.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why do they have to come up with dumb names for their game sections? I was reading that Major Nelson thinking War Games was Spartan Ops and confused as poo poo. Why can't they just call it a map pack bundle instead of the “Halo 4” War Games Map Pass? What the hell is Infinity Multiplayer and how is it different from non-infinite multiplayer?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wait what's the point of teabagging if the guy can never see it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm trying to read Glasslands but everyone has incredibly dry internal narration and there's multiple Harry Potter references before page 50 and it is just really awful. I knew in advance that people didn't like how the author treated Halsey, but I assumed that was plot related, not the author torturing her with the way she writes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

astrollinthepork posted:

Looking into it more, it seems as if I'm thinking about loadout packages. Are those all available straight from the start?

Who the gently caress knows. Every single time I try to read or listen to someone explain the unlocking system it's just an avalanche of empty buzzwords.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ah Pook posted:

The guy's a whiny gently caress and not very good but I have to agree that the TTK seems too low.

Turns out people actually die if you don't force AR starts.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

DCVJD-M3DGX-3H2HG-W3KQW-WWR7Z

I've claimed this thing I'm not sure is.

Edit: Oh it's a pretty picture for my background. Reminds me more of Assassin's Creed than Halo though.

kater fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 4, 2012

kater
Nov 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Are the brute motorcycles or other weapons back in? I liked them.

There's yet another variety of the weird pseudo-grenade launcher thing, and the hammer. No spiker.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I would assume the official line is "Health packs suxx."

Also if you truly believe those Dorito codes aren't consumable it is your solemn duty to grab a billion of them and post em up.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

astrollinthepork posted:

Good enough for me, I won't press. Thanks.

I don't think there's any one answer. Previous Halos have always been 5-12 hours long depending on who you ask and I doubt this one is different. I just hope there's none of Reach's sitting around waiting for the game to drop off enemies for you.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

I've never had a problem with it. I was just curious if that's what he's referring to. If so, it certainly wasn't introduced in Reach.

I just felt like that was pretty much the only thing you did in Reach. Defend the drat objective while some NPC does something. Stumble upon some geometry used for Firefight levels? Get ready to stay there a while. ODST was especially guilty of this too.

I guess that type of thing does show up in the others, and I appreciate the irony if it being pretty much the only thing you did in the "Halo" level. Can't say it's something I've ever enjoyed, in any of the games. Though the boarding the covie ship in CE and the gondola sections of 2 were dope if they count.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm almost done with Glasslands and I've gotta say, if you can overlook the utterly insane blackhole localized around Halsey and the off-screen Mary Sue character invented to be her foil, it's not an awful book. Certainly better than the crap that came out between Halo 2 and 3. Completely different in tone than the Nylund stuff though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Anything with a Needler hilariously feels like threat #1.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

I wonder if I'll do what I did with Reach and play through the singleplayer on Legendary first.

Oh god, the memories... :negative:

I think you should. Regretting not doing it myself. The whole "Normal is the new Heroic" thing is a bunch of ballooey. The new guys are tough but not particularly scary once you figure out how to deal with them. Hint: Don't miss. Also kill the horrible little puppies first.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Joey Donuts posted:

Anyone aware of a decent video summarizing the important bits of the novels that led up to Halo 4? I've always enjoyed the Halo lore but I fell off the boat of reading the novels somewhere around Contact Harvest.

The books are stupid. The books taking place after Halo 3 have absolutely nothing to do with the game, and the Forerunner books ruin a really cool reveal. If you are familiar with Halo 3 and all the crazy poo poo in the terminals, that's more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Gunder posted:

Anyone got a good explanation?
This is an end game spoiler btw.

He was absorbed as an AI into the magic space box when he got flashed on the moon base. That's where they were. She then downloaded him into a new set of armor because he got blown up by the nuke. When he takes off his helmet at the end he's a loving monster like Didact was.

I loving loved how crazy this game got. Better than Halo 2, which was the only Halo with any story in it at all.

• Locked thread