Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sublimer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7AmAPJ0dR4

So I interpret this to mean Halo 4's 1-50 ranking system will be nothing like Halo 3's. If it were then only a very small percentage of the playerbase will ever get to unlock specializations.

yeah, Halo 3's ranking system was just visible trueskill, Halo 4 has something more akin to Reach/CoD/Battlefield exp based leveling up. Thats a pretty significantly different thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly the only thing that really bugged me was having the weapon pick ups be on the screen, just kinds seems lame, and e text pop ups when you do anything. They are just unneeded. I would much rather they just use the extensive library of Halo icons for on screen pop ups like they always have. Especially if its just going to be some white text sans serif lazy typography.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I sure hope they hire a middle of the road Sci Fi author to write some books to fill in that important question of Halo Lore!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly underneath all the community love I've always got the impression that Bungie could be massive dicks internally.

Eh, theres something to be said for keeping a franchise of high quality infrequent releases instead of just churning out garbage. Hard to fault them for wanting to control how a thing they created was released.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There is no way they would ever make a show that was just an hour of space and super alien battles a week. That would be the most expensive and tedious thing ever.

They don't even make movies that are just constant action, it doesn't work as a thing.

Why does Halo even need to be a movie? Or a TV show, can't it just be a game series? I hate this desire to franchise everything :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

BOOO loving BOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I said come in! posted:

Spartan Ops is most likely to just be Firefight with a new name. The only difference is a cutscene at the beginning of each mission, and 5 new maps each week. So this sounds even better since we get free content.

We'll see. Honestly it's not a huge deal the only time I play firefight is with my daughter or wife and its not like they are going to care if I keep playing Reach firefight if Halo 4 doesn't have a similar mode. I'm actually more mad that they took Firefight doubles out of Reach since that means I have to play offline firefight if I want 2 players.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If the characters are supposed to be teens the actors are probably 20 something...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

kirbyabc posted:

Yeah that describes me perfectly as well, don't have time to squeeze in all the top books so i'm real picky. My favourite series is Goosebumps (R.L. Stine)

This is my favorite post ever right here.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I had absolutely no idea people cared about the lore and mythology of Halo so much.

Seriously I thought it was just an afterthought for everyone.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly I think the level of plot/lore in Halo is just fine and this thread demonstrates why. If you really want to know the backstory about how the Spartans work and the what the deal with the Covenant is all about its all out there to read. You can just play the games and see whatever is in there and enjoy them too. You determine your own level of involvement etc...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's not a failing on Bungie's fault that they didn't include more explicit backstory in the games, it's a choice to make it ancillary because its not integral to the games.

It goes back to my earlier complaint about franchising/universe building. The ultimate goal of a video game series is not to create a fully realized universe with a consistent backstory but to create compelling games. It's nice that they've done more universe building than nessecary, but that was never a main focus of the games, it's extra content for the die hard fans.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 22, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
MY the master chief?!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm the worst goon because I'm getting Halo and BlOps2

And I still play BF3...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
CAN I STILL HAVE ROBOT ARMS? Hopefully 2 this time so I can be a Spartanasaurus

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Fuligin posted:

I'm down with most of the more "out there" helmet designs, but god Fotus just looks like something out of power rangers.

Its going to be the most popular one and you know it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MickRaider posted:

I don't ever want to see a class based halo.

Edit: Reason: Sniper Class

I don't really want HALO to have classes, but I wouldn't mind a spin off game like Battlefield Halo or something, actually I would totally love that but only as a spin off yeah.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I would play 3 of those 4 games...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oddball is cool but unless Halo 4 has Hot Potato I'm cancelling my preorder.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I bought Mountain Dew GAMER FUEL

what is wrong with me, I don't even like Mountain Dew.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Funkmaster General posted:

Sort of. Bungie's contract with Activision has an oddly specific clause in it that says that when they're done making whatever they're making for them, they'll publish a different game under the title "Marathon." You can probably find the specifics if you look hard enough.

Edited because I found the actual contract

Their are provisions in the contract that allow them to develop a new Marathon game, starting with a small team and increasing in size as the games they are contracted to make for Activision meet certain sales expectations. It starts small (like up to 5% of their total staff) but if they make Activision a lot of money (375 million) they can increase the teams size.

I have no idea if they will achieve those numbers of if Video Game Accounting is like Hollywood Accounting...

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 31, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

If anyone has any pre-order store exclusive armor codes I would love to give you an offer or take them off your hands if you aren't going to use them.

Ive got a gamestop one coming that I give no fucks about.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is Spartan Ops live yet? Does it have anything remotely like firefight in it? I'm really gunna miss firefight...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I said come in! posted:

Spartan Ops is Firefight renamed. The game comes with 5 missions and there will be 5 new missions each week for 10 weeks and they will be free.

It's exactly like firefight where you just fight waves of enemies? That's cool.

BillyJoeBob posted:

Are the twiggy little robo-arms back? This is the most important part.

Yes this is a good question too this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I dreamt I really really wanted a fried doughnut, then woke up craving one super bad.

(I've never had a fried doughnut before)

Isn't almost any doughnut you've ever had fried?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There are a bunch I looked it up awhile back because I was curious.

There is actually one where left trigger is zoom (like iron sights in every other shooter) called Fishstick

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Leon Einstein posted:

I don't know of any 24 hour Targets nearby, but there are plenty of Wal-Marts. So do they just start stocking them at midnight?

You might have to ask someone in electronics if they don't have it out yet at midnight, it just depends on how the store is run and stuff. Its not like Walmart employees tend to give a poo poo about their jobs and stuff, so you never know how informed they are.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Gunder posted:

Isn't this what Trueskill does? I don't really see the point in this. Unless their system will be better at matching players of equal skill than Trueskill.

It is trueskill. Its just showing people what their trueskill number is, because some people REALLY REALLY REALLY care about that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Leon Einstein posted:

I bought Halo 1 when I was in my 20s. I'm really old.

We're probably about the same age. I'm going to go pick up Halo tonight at midnight from GameStop. I've never done this before I'm going to look like a scout master walking around in there with all those kids. I'm making a huge mistake

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I really hope one of you is faaaart XCUSE ME because its my favorite name ive ever seen

It's Bonerparts.

Hey so I'm FishBulb. Look me up goons.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I got the Locus helmet via the 7/11 App.

It sells for like, the cost of the game on eBay. But I'm nervous about selling a code via eBay... Dilemmas.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

powder 2 da people posted:

I realize there are tons of server problems, but I think I'm having a different problem when I try to play online.

Most of the game modes have a yellow ! beside them and say they require DLC, and that I can download it from Disc 2 or from Xbox Live, but when I do either of those things, nothing happens. If I try to play big team slayer or whatever it's called, I get into a lobby, select a map, load the game, and then it takes me straight to the Halo 4 main screen. Anyone know what to do?

Put disk 2 in and install it to the HD.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Baboon Fiesta posted:

Well, I ordered my LE in August, delivery was due for today and it hasn't come.

Amazooooon :argh:

It will. It's up to UPS now and sometimes they don't show up at my place until 6.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Leon Einstein posted:

Yeah, I can't join my friend, and I can't get any stat info. WTF. Not a good first day.

Actually its a pretty common first day...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Amdis posted:

Does this game have one of those multiplayer online pass things? If yes I'll need to grab a second copy instead of sharing mine with my roommate.

No. Nothing like that.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Is there no campaign scoring?

No medal display?

Weak :/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The DMR definitely seems better at range. It seems like the DMR is the long range gun, the BR is the middle range gun and the AR is the close gun. The AR unfortunately requires you to be too close for optimal performance compared to the BR so it kind of isn't worth it (also the SAW is even better at short range than the AR and seems really common) But the game is still young so who knows!

The light rifle seems cool but I need to mess with it more.
Of course these opinions are temperded by the fact that I suck so what do I know?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Definitely going to agree that there should at least be descriptions of the modes when you go to select one. If you have a history with the series, you can guess a lot of it, but if this is your first Halo, even Slayer would sound weird.

Regicide is super fun. I'm glad there's a fairly straightforward free-for-all mode like that.

It is fun but I miss there being a 'rumble pit' full of different FFA modes.

Also there is a disturbing lack of the best mode from Reach, Headhunter, in general.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Edit - NM this.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
HEADHUNTER PLEASE THANK YOU

• Locked thread