Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

What is Halo 4?

Halo 4 is 343 industries first go at making their very own Halo game. Since Bungie has moved on to bigger and better things we count on 343i to take up the reigns.

We pick up in Halo 4 where we left off in Halo 3. The Master Chief is stranded on half of Forward Unto Dawn approaching an ominous Forerunner planet. The date is now 2557 - four years, seven months and ten days after the split.

The main action of Halo 4 will take place on this planet. Uncovering the ruins of this forerunner planet and the machines that maintain it. The covenant does make a return as a rogue faction.

The best news of all, no flood.

Waypoint Terminal Codes

Welcome to HaloCustoms.com! Your source for all things relating to Halo Customs.

For too long it's been a difficult task to find and host custom games. 100 Friends and metatags can only go so far to bringing in Spartans. Now you can use HaloCustoms.com to organize your games and find other like minded individuals to play them!

Learn more about HaloCustoms.com by watching our announcement video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QkSayqUtWk

We look forward to seeing you online!

MAP PACKS

December 10th, February 25th, and April 1st.

IRC

#halo4goons irc.synirc.net

Mibbit link for the lazy

:siren:HOW TO USE THE METATAG:siren: (for those of you who haven't done this before)
  1. Send a friend request to Halo4Goons
  2. Go to http://live.xbox.com and log in with halo4goons@yahoo.com, password: lljklljk
  3. Accept your own friend request
  4. When you're playing and you want to invite goons, go to your friends list and find and select Halo4Goons
  5. On the gamercard go to the right and select "View Friends"
  6. Voila, there are your goons! Invite them to your game!

USE THIS METATAG!
Halo4Goons
halo4goons@yahoo.com, password: lljklljk

Don't use this one
GT Goons 4 Halo
goons4halo@live.com
lljk1234

AUSTRALIAN / NZ METATAG
:siren:HOW TO USE THE METATAG:siren: (for those of you who haven't done this before)
  1. Send a friend request to AusHaloGoons
  2. Go to http://live.xbox.com and log in with AusHaloGoons@gmail.com, password: lljklljk
  4. When you're playing and you want to invite goons, go to your friends list and find and select AusHaloGoons

UK/EUROGOON METATAG
  1. Send a friend request to A UK Halo4 Meta
  2. Go to http://live.xbox.com and log in with eurohalo4@gmail.com, password: eurohalo
  4. When you're playing and you want to invite goons, go to your friends list and find and select A UK Halo4 Meta

Gallery of skins and emblems

What's new?

Here's the best repository for the latest and greatest news

Display

• True native 720p with FXAA
  • New HUD, features subtle parallel movement during athletic actions and additional visual cues indicating that you are actually wearing a helmet.
  • Chief, Cortana and other characters animated with the assistance of motion capture.
Background
  • Cortana impending rampancy will be a critical theme as will be exploring Master Chief as a person.
  • Cortana has chosen a new visual identity whilst the Chief has been sleeping.
  • The Covenant, at least Elites and Grunts, return but are not the primary enemy.
  • The FUD eventually crash lands on Requiem, a planet enclosed in a massive Dyson Shell.
  • A new faction from Requiem is introduced. Like the Covenant they will have unique and different enemy types, weapons and equipment. "If anything, they're kind of elevated in terms of their intelligence and complexity relative to the Covenant."
  • Huge, alive environments - a piece of concept art depicts a floating air squid in a jungle setting.
  • The skybox is filled with massive pillars reaching down from above and the surrounding view is painted by the inside of the Dyson Shell.

Multiplayer
  • Game is split between Campaign and Infinity - the new term of the entire multiplayer experience separate from the Campaign.
  • Multiplier directly and in-directly ties into the Campaign.
  • Multiplayer features Spartan IV's - adult volunteers taken from the the best of special ops soldiers, equipped with a new version of the Mjolnir armor (lightweight variation) and deployed onboard the UNSC Infinity.
  • No Elites will be playable in multiplayer
  • The UNSC Infinity is the largest ship the UNSC has ever created. Over three kilometers long, it was designed with cutting edge technology and features some additional technological enhancements provided by the study of Forerunner technology - including faster and more accurate slipspace travel.
  • The UNSC is deployed on a top secret mission into deep space but will cross paths with the Master Chief during the campaign.
  • The Spartan IV's onboard train in the Infinity's "combat deck". The deck can simulate any known environment and plays host the the multiplayer games players are familiar with.
  • To prevent weapon camping, Infinity Slayer will deliver power weapons as drop pods to encourage map movement.

Cooperative
  • Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.

Loadouts
  • Loadouts are composed of a primary and secondary weapon, a grenade type, armor ability and modifications. It is unclear how the modification system works or what things it modifies or how.
  • Sprint is a standard armor ability now. Essentially allowing you to have two armor abilities at all times

Armor Abilities
  • Hard Light Shield: Allows users to a protective barrier of hard light which stops most small arms fire and some explosives.
  • Regeneration Field: Allows the user to release a short-range energy field that heals any nearby spartans.
  • Jet Pack: Allows users limited flight through a vertical lift propulsion system similar to that of EVA re-entry packs.
  • Thruster Pack: Enables a powerful burst of movement allowing the ability to evade or quickly close the gap.
  • Hologram: Allows users to generate an almost identical holographic decoy to to deceive enemies during combat.
  • Active Camo: Allows users to generate a visual effect astonishingly close to invisibility.
  • Auto-Sentry: An automatic turret which can be deployed to defend its user or command a key battlefield choke-point
  • Promethean Vision: Allows users to predict enemy signatures through walls and other hard surfaces.

Tactical Packages
  • Shielding: Speeds up your armors recharge rate.
  • Mobility: Allows unlimited sprint.
  • Resupply: Allows the recovery of grenades from fallen allies or foes.
  • AA Efficiency: Increases the rate at which energy recharges for armor abilities
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity.
  • Firepower: Allows the use of a primary weapon in the secondary weapon slot.
  • Fast-track: Allows the user to advance quicker in rank.
  • Requisition: In modes with personal ordnance, requisition lets the player request new choices when an ordnance is granted.
  • Wheelman: Increases the long term durability of your vehicle as well as how it reacts to EMP charges.

Support Upgrades
  • Stability: Steadies your weapon while being struck by incoming fire.
  • Ammo: Increases ammunition capacity for both starting weapons and ordnance drops.
  • Dexterity: Speeds up reload and weapon swapping.
  • Sensor: Increases motion sensor range.
  • Awareness: Allows the use of motion sensors while using a scope.
  • Explosives: Alters grenade performance, increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.
  • Ordnance Priority: In modes with personal ordnance, offers more frequent ordnance drops to the user.
  • Gunner: Increases how long a mounted weapon can fire before overheating as well as movement speed with detached turrets.

Gametypes
  • FFA Variant, Regicide. Lead slayer is "King" - each of the King;s kills raises his "bounty". The bounty is claimed by whomever kills the King.
  • In Team Slayer (not confirmed for other gametypes), players can respawn instantly after death if they choose. Additionally, power weapons are introduced into a game on a random timer and appear at random drop points on the map.
  • Grifball is it's own game mode with unique mechanics
  • Medals are returning (huge surprise) including new medals for "revenge kills" and for causing for distraction

Weapons

Spartan Points

Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions, and more

Game Mechanics
  • Ball throwing.
  • Flag kill animations

Customization
  • Weapons and Armor can now be skinned with different graphics and colors
  • Helmets so far (9/3/12)

Forge

Forge mode makes a return with all new features and funtions. The full scale of the new forge is still not known but we are seeing things like:
  • Magnet points - Align objects easily
  • Lock objects - Don't worry about mis-clicking an object you placed already
  • Property Zone - Give players new properties depending on where they are in the zone
  • Object highlights - Highlight forge objects so you can know what you're about to select
  • Natural Lighting - Forge objects now take lighting effects from the map and other forge objects. Shadows, etc.

Previous Thread: Halo 4 Methathread: We've come full circle at last

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 24, 2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

InfinEight posted:

are we gonna attempt to have a metatag again or did that fail miserably last time?

They worked reasonably well. I don't think it's worth making them until the game is actually out otherwise they'll fill up with people too soon.

xzzy posted:

Someone closed the old thread. :argh:

I can reopen it if you really want...

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Standoff + Warthog = most fun in anything ever

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I hated Standoff because vehicles had lots more defense and health in Halo 3. Warthogs were a huge nuisance!

That's why it was so awesome! I loved the start of that map and seeing 10 grenades being hurled at the enemy warthog and the domination of getting both hogs.

Granted from a map design perspective it was flawed, but gosh darn it was fun.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

xzzy posted:

But nope, the AR was a lovely newbie gun that no pro would ever touch and before long everyone was convinced that warthogs were overpowered death machines.

You know the only thing more annoying than people bitching about AR is people bitching about people bitching about these weapons.

We get it, people think precision weapons require more skill, let's move on already.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Hdip posted:

Awww thanks mick. You should've have.

Don't tease me you jerk. Hdip buy a xbox.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

poo poo son, now you'll have a legitimate excuse for being so bad at halo

edit: oh hdip you so crazy

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 8, 2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

So here's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmDHmuA_NY

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

limited posted:

The Chief finally learnt how to run. Thank god. :allears:
The chief always ran :colbert:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I don't quite get the complaint - wasn't the original game was designed around an analogue stick, giving the Chief varying degrees of motion? Nudge it slightly/halfway = creeping/walking; Push it far as it can go = running. What more is required?

I never understood why the GTA games persisted with a run button when an analogue stick provides full control, unless it's the combination of the Sony pads sticks having awful deadzones and modern gamers in general having the delicate touch of your average rapist.

To me the chief was always running. It was either, Run or Crouch walk. Then people decided he didn't move fast enough which is kinda weird but there it is.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

He is in his magic suit and all

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

The other folks and I started honking our horns, and I was screaming in the car.

You're the biggest halo dork ever. Just so you're aware

Also 6th, unless you think it's coming out on a sunday

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Et tu Brute shot?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I'm playing the VIP gametype from Halo 3 in Halo Reach! Somebody discovered it somehow recently, and it's totally legit!!! The announcer says, "VIP. New VIP."

Send that poo poo to nondual

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

Does he still play? His brother got married so I never see him any more.

Every once in a blue moon. Facebook is the way we find out when he plays.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

What is a gun besides rate of fire, AOE, and damage anyways?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

^^^ NDA eh?

-A n i m 8- posted:

Feels great to be finally done. The game is amazing, you won't be disappointed :)

We're looking forward to it :)

You'll have to tell us what parts you did when the NDA is dropped

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 28, 2012

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Halo avatar costume
How generous of them.

(I'll be doing this)

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

It's pretty good alone. Though if you can wait to watch it all at once it would probably be more epic.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The first one that came out today? It was filmed well, acting was ok, set was a bit above average. I don't understand the context though. What am I watching? A bunch of no name grunts before the Covenant came along?

No I'm pretty sure this is set in the time after halo 3

but before 4

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Friendly Factory posted:

Jesus, that was awful. Was this made by the same people that did the live action commercials from previous games?

No.

It wasn't _that_ bad

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Some forge information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJ5lqXXtpU

In case forgeworld wasn't gray enough for you

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Here's the embedded version for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05S3eMBPaHw

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I just don't think they trust people to make BTB maps. That's probably one of the biggest map making challenges.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Grimpops posted:

I think the whole Forge aspect was outsourced to Certain Affinity who made some of the later Reach maps.

They also made the 3rd map pack in Halo 2

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

He's garbage at halo anyways

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Forward Unto Dawn ep 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56gSEJ6IGc

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Beamish?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Be Amish?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

[edit]
Also, Halo 4 is $45 on Newegg.com with promo code EMCYTZT2339 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=1312731&SID=

Nice, thanks!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Booties posted:

Why are they all scrawny, awkward 20-somethings with a short black lady yelling at them.
Because our military is mostly scrawny, awkward 20-somethings?

Gotta make it realistic yo

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I was looking through my friends list and I came across this:

miss you man.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Unfortunately the director of the believe ad had no prior knowledge of any part of Halo 3. They just bullshitted a really amazing advert.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I'm probably the only gamer alive that doesn't think aesthetics is an important part of a game.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

InfinEight posted:

Also here's this if anyone is interested:

Oh no. I don't see ODST! MY TRACK RECORD IS RUINED!

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

That doesn't sound like Downes to me.

Though it was freaking AMAZING

Really makes me want a real halo movie even more

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

VaultAggie posted:

Holy gently caress that episode was so good. I really liked the needler effects and how each one shattered. Also, Master Chief slaughtering everything was amazing.

Master Chief loves his pistol

*pew pew pew*

*dead aliens*

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Why did Vickers have to die :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

NuckmasterJ posted:

He could of just said he's just an underpaid under worked actor and took the gig cause it payed and had free catering.
Fixed that for you.

Honestly though the acting is fine. How many actors do you think knew the story of their role before they got it? Very few I'd imagine

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 26, 2012

• Locked thread