Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

Man I figured the kid's reason was probably really lovely in the face of whatever makes an alien travel to earth, but winning a fishing contest isn't worth "anything on earth" you idiot.

What he's not telling you is that Betty Sue promised to let him touch her boobies if he won first prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Choco1980 posted:

What he's not telling you is that Betty Sue promised to let him touch her boobies if he won first prize.

What he does not know is that Betty Sue was lying when she promised this. She knew he would never take first prize.

For content, from Hellblazer #9

For context, swampy manifested his body from Constantine's pack of smokes. The rogue mage seriously just rolled himself a plant elemental ciggy and is about to have a few puffs.

Wish I could find my scans of Wasteland....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GorfZaplen posted:

all Strange Adventures #101

So.... was the cop then arrested for bringing a pre-spaceflight civilization youth out into space?

Also, please tell me the kid only got second place because without the weight of the stolen gem it weighed less.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Man I figured the kid's reason was probably really lovely in the face of whatever makes an alien travel to earth, but winning a fishing contest isn't worth "anything on earth" you idiot.

Hey once he gets that local fishing trophy it'll just be raining poon. Is there anything more important to a teenage boy?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sizone posted:

What he does not know is that Betty Sue was lying when she promised this. She knew he would never take first prize.

For content, from Hellblazer #9

For context, swampy manifested his body from Constantine's pack of smokes. The rogue mage seriously just rolled himself a plant elemental ciggy and is about to have a few puffs.

Wish I could find my scans of Wasteland....

(Don't know the #)

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Alhazred posted:

(Don't know the #)

I think that's Hellblazer #63.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

tetsman posted:

I think that's Hellblazer #63.

It's Constantine's 40th birthday and it's early into Ennis' run so that sounds -kind of- right.

edit: yeah, 63

double edit: not sure Dillon's ever seen a pot plant before.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 12, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nikolai Dante, ladies man:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ap9ZYrU.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/dRiisut.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/FSiFOqQ.jpg:nws:
(from Prog 1035)

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Adventures of Superman 504

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why does Superman need guns? Or a knife? Or XTREME 2DMAXX leather straps? Or bandoliers not properly put on?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Why does Superman need guns? Or a knife? Or XTREME 2DMAXX leather straps? Or bandoliers not properly put on?

Because it was the 90s. (Also he'd been depowered)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 12, 2013

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

GorfZaplen posted:

Strange Adventures #138

If they have armor, they can surely have swords. Heck, even wooden clubs would work fine.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

There's a reason his book was called Hellblazer. Smoking Swamp Thing is gonna get you loving monged.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Oh god, Nicoli Dante!

Please tell me you've got the issue with all the lovely beards! :)

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
You mean this one?

Definitely NWS

http://i.imgur.com/v8vYS64.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HNYhpuD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aml5CqN.jpg

Prog 1066 2000AD

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

That's it! Beautiful!

It was a Valentines Day issue, and each story was a bit racy, in the UK it was sold in a sealed plastic bag... The only stories I remember was that Dante story, which I think was my first introduction to homoerotic insecurity (Although it would be at last 10 years before I would understand what 'homoeotic insecurity'meant), and another wherein Dredd got mobbed by a whole bunch of sex robots, female and male.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

KayTee posted:

Dredd got mobbed by a whole bunch of sex robots, female and male.

Was Dredd the Big Law or the Little Law?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
He was the Only Law.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

From this Chris Sims article, Batman #147:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's not how Cousins kiss! :stonk:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

What assholes the City News are. "I GUESS a baby fighting crime is KIND of impressive. Y'know, if you're stupid."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Matlock posted:

Adventures of Superman 504

Holy crap this was literally the only issue of superman I ever owned and I read it like 50 times when I was a kid.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Plutonis posted:

Was Gotham in Kentucky in the Silver Age?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy crap this was literally the only issue of superman I ever owned and I read it like 50 times when I was a kid.

Yeah, my first exposure to comics as a kid was reading my dad's stack of The Death of Superman comics, because he was one of the people duped into thinking that they'd be super-valuable later. He took a young child removing them all from sleeves and rolling the spines surprisingly well. Sorry, dad.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Infinitum posted:

To properly be reborn, Superman has to go through the darkness being a 90s hero before becoming is true self.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yannick_B posted:

To properly be reborn, Superman has to go through the darkness being a 90s hero before becoming is true self.

And become electric.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Infinitum posted:

It just shows that you dont need flight, invulnerability, super senses or eye lasers to be a superman. Just big guns.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Shoot good at others and any man can be a Superman.

Superman
(Clark Kent)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Infinitum posted:

The actual answer to all these questions is that he was still nowhere near full strength after being reborn, and actually had to use a kryptonian mech for protection and locomotion at first. The whole story ended with his power levels being brought back closer to pre-Crisis levels, or at least implied to be.

Still mad stupid of course.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 13, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If I remember right, didn't they explain Clark's absence by saying he'd been buried in rubble from the Doomsday fight? So.... how much time actually passed in-universe between the death and return of Superman? A week?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Jerusalem posted:

If I remember right, didn't they explain Clark's absence by saying he'd been buried in rubble from the Doomsday fight? So.... how much time actually passed in-universe between the death and return of Superman? A week?

WIki says

The Death of Superman posted:

Later on, Superman, Supergirl and Lois collaborate to film Clark Kent's rescue, Supergirl using her shapeshifting powers to pose as Clark Kent and create the impression that Clark was trapped in an underground bunker in Doomsday's initial attack, able to sustain himself on supplies in the bunker but unable to escape until Superman returned and was able to contribute his X-ray vision to the rescue effort.

So "however long it took for the plot to catch up with him" seems about right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Longer than a week. It was a week before they even got the burial done. Clark was just implied to be in an underground shelter. (They got the idea after rescuing two kids who are found an underground shelter.) Supergirl pretended to be him.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Plutonis posted:

It is on Krypton. :pervert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

And become electric.

That wasn't for three more years!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

smashpro1 posted:

It is on Krypton. :pervert:

I thought on Krypton you were allowed to make out with horses?

ACTION COMICS #292

Action Comics #311

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

drat, I was kinda hoping the whole thing really did get resolved in a week.

"A tired, mourning nation is ready to move on, it's been a whole 2 days."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jerusalem posted:

drat, I was kinda hoping the whole thing really did get resolved in a week.

"A tired, mourning nation is ready to move on, it's been a whole 2 days."

It took us two weeks to bury president Regan, and he was no Superman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

The time needed to grow a sweet mullet of course :v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CzarChasm posted:

It took us two weeks to bury president Regan, and he was no Superman.

All the arcane rituals to seal his corrupted soul in took most of that time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DarkCrawler posted:

All the arcane rituals to seal his corrupted soul in took most of that time though.

He had a soul?
I also thought Superman had to buried within 24 hours.

• Locked thread