Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Archonex posted:

Jameson has a long and storied history of pulling off a rage face. Context is obvious, but She-Hulk is dating Jameson's son. Jameson does not approve.

I forget the source, unfortunately:

If Jameson ever dies, it should be from a rage induced embolism. Because holy poo poo, that face looks like it should be in a horror game, snapping its teeth at you as it comes out of the darkness.

I dunno. That sequence of his face changing looks like he's practically hulking out himself-you could practically colour each one more and more green. I'm actually hearing the theme from the various Hulk cartoons as I'm watching him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

:mad: Dial H is too good. It came up with superhero names that I came up with at some point as a kid and now I'm beaten.

That's not surprising given the whole original strip way back when was for mailed-in hero names-think it was for a contest or some such.

The contest is gone. The spirit remains.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

As badly as I want this to be the case, I'm more or less expecting this to end with the two arguin with each other as the plan starts to fall apart. Best case scenario I'm expecting is the two being locked out of the others universes and the two of them acting like they just lost a lover or something.

I'm suddenly reminded of the end to Chrono Cross.

"I'll find you! Doesn't matter how many worlds, how long it takes, I'LL FIND YOU!"

"Unless I find you first!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

lifg posted:

Judge Dredd, Cursed Earth Saga

And the later stuff concerning Tweak goes straight into 'Touching'. And a significant part of the last parts of the Cursed Earth Saga go alternately into 'Badass' and 'Touching' with a little 'Funny'. The whole thing is a REALLY good book.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pull it through the sleeve like you were dragging a piece of paper or something through the inside of it? Must hurt if it gets caught, though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

This is just for THAT FACE.

...M for Muton? Because that's what he looks like.

As to the rest, it's always nice seeing superbeings who are also 'regular joes'. Although you could replace the men with The Thing and still have it work, which is...disconcerting.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 20, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

They're leg stretches. Start from where his legs are crunched up, and stretch your legs out, trying to reach the last silhouette. Then back again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Nahxela posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtpeYERu9w
Here you go.

Also have a thing from Wizard Magazine

...Doom's done surgery(Though I don't believe he's an actual surgical 'doctor'), Samson shouldn't be here(Dr of psychology), Midnight's done surgery even with his blindness, Light ain't a medical/surgical doctor, Octopus I don't think is either, Strange should be here physically since he's qualified, Fate I forget, and I don't know anyone in the gallery.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Suben posted:

Another from Superior Foes of Spider-Man #5, let's take a look at the Owl's base.

...Is it wrong I'm hearing sound effects from Streets of Rage and Final Fight just looking at this?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

redbackground posted:

You shouldn't be surprised to hear that this is one of my ongoing projects--I've got 4 issues remaining to collect.

Reposting my favorite scene:

SSS #48

I dunno whether people here are laughing 'at' Spidey Super Stories or 'with' it.

Me? With it, definitely. These are good, clean, pure fun. It's silly, but it doesn't feel like forced silly, if that makes sense.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Magneto's "villains are dumb" stuff is funny and all but he hasn't got a leg to stand on considering the 15 or so first years of his publication history. Especially not about the monologuing.

Judging from the page posted, all I'm seeing is 'he's drawing from personal experience'. Which is effective enough. All that's missing is something like "Why did I ever do this sort of thing?". In my head I'm combining with that 'X-Men looking back at the old days' bit.

Of course, at least half the reason I might be a little forgiving is watching Magneto here I STILL hear 'Avalon' as he smashes that AIM Controller.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 21, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

60% of it would be bitching about Reed and the F4, the rest would be just typical "reality is beyond your scope" and it would end with an awkward moment in which Fraction insists on paying for the planet Galactus had for dinner while Galactus tries to explain how he doesn't really pay for things.

I dunno. You could ask him about what he remembers of the old universe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Dollman presents an extremely literal cover!

'Doll doll doll, he's the Doll Man!'

....No, it's not quite right. Even though he is socking evil in the eye.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Gatts posted:

Awww. Doom's mother is also dead and her soul in hell...I think...RICHARDS! :doom:

Yes. In partnership with Dr.Strange, he broke into hell and broke her out of Hell. He betrayed Strange to do it, which got Doom's mother to denounce Doom-refusing to take his aid. Which was the 'pure act' necessary to get her out of hell. So she was freed at the cost of the mother hating the son. Doom felt it worth it.

Doom and Strange then fought down Mephisto to escape hell. It's a wonderful moment. It's probably in Impressive Panels somewhere.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Uthor posted:

I was reading about how Santa is portrayed in the Marvel and DC universes and came across this gem.

source

Santa as a hero to New Genesis.

Wonder if Orion's constantly saluting during Christmas?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That's pretty frustrating as his finale left Frank in a Stark designed mega prison and then BOOM he's over in Thunderbolts like nothing happened.

In prison? With normals or with other supervillains?

For some reason I now have this image of everyone being fairly concerned that he doesn't start knocking off supervillains given the opportunity.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Do She-Hulk's powers work like regular Hulk's powers? If so, she really shouldn't be allowed to join in a tug-of-war.

Possibly, since it's based off a blood transfusion from Bruce. Thing is, her power-up isn't ain't based on rage, so it's not an issue.

Hakkesshu posted:

oh my god "missile tow" oh my gooooooooooooood

Is it more or less funny given there is an actual TOW missile? It's an acronym, but it exists.

MelvinTheJerk posted:

More Spidey Super Stories. Because what the gently caress else would it be from?

I'm fairly impressed. Those first panels basically wrap up the Silver Surfer and his early comic arcs perfectly. This is showing once more why I'm liking this stuff.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 28, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

From Fantastic Four 60, much like Batman, Reed has a plan to beat every member of the team:

I think this is one of the few times I've seen Reed look angry in any media. I won't say he's frightening, but he's certainly unsettling.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Maybe. I caught a few Ultimate graphic novels in the library way back, but I've fallen behind and badly. It's been something like 14-15 years now.

So effectively, I'm lost.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

"You looked too, Bob."

The thing is, 90% of the time, they wouldn't look, and they'd be there.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Tony Stark has given JJJ the Mk II suit in exchange for a donation to his favorite charity. JJJ turns it into Manbot, a remote controlled robot that tracks Spider-Man's heartbeat. Also note that the Sunday colorist and Daily colorist are having a disagreement over Iron Man.

But that may not be the end of Manbot!

:allears:

The base story is interesting. But....Damm, JJJ, you are proud of them pearly whites. Not that I blame you, but you're reminding me of the Joker. Or M.Bison.

"I must know the name of your dentist, and you WILL talk!"
"NEVER!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

How about a rocket armchair of life instead?

All I can see is Locutus of Borg here. Unavoidable, I guess.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Right, so the new issue of Arkham War #5 came out. And it's basically fantastic.

The Arkhamites have acquired all of the Court of Owl Talons and figured out how to activate them and mind control them into obeying their orders.
And they send them at Bane and his army.

It's up to Bane (who in this issue has a new Batman costume which makes him look like the a cross between Pirate Batman and medieval Knight Batman) and Cobb (the other Talon who has remained free of mind control to defeat them.)

It starts off with Bane leading the charge against the Talon's. And he defeats one in a fight. What follows is this page.

I just lost it when I saw Bane riding a horse.

The Talons give chase and it results in this fight sequence, with perhaps the single greatest ending to a fight ever printed in a comic.

:golfclap:

I don't know what I love more. That the Diabolic Duo defeat the Talons with a Home Alone style rigged trap, or how encouraging Bane is towards his partner Cobb.
The issue then ends with the Scarecrow deciding that since the Talon's have failed they only have one chance. So he rounds up every Arkham villain to propose a toast and drugs them with Venom, so they can zerg rush Bat-Bane. This mini series has been great.

Armour's a mix of Dark Knight Returns and Azrael-Batman. The horse riding's from Returns as well. Fitting, really. It's not a dig, it's just nice.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Just stop making comics. It's all downhill from here.

I dunno. We're still missing the part where Doom sees this and nods understanding all too well what's going through JJJ's head.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Part of me wonders 'Would he bother with the paperwork?' And I'm not entirely sure. He's law-abiding apart from the vigilantism. But that would get him arrested on the spot if he filed the forms.

Hmm.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

Could have used a few more leg pouches.

One thing I don't understand. People mock the pouches. But it's really hard to carry things given the usual outfits supers are running with. So the pouches are a sensible thing, and yet they're mocked.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Uthor posted:

I remember Adam West Batman fighting *someone* and they were wearing glasses.
Goon: "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?"
Batman: "Would you?!" *Batman and Robin put on glasses*
*fist fight*

(this is all half remembered from 20 years ago)

I remember it but it was the other way about : they took the glasses off the goons, put them away very carefully, then they fought.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

So Batman Family 1 was Benedict Arnold(Observe: http://comicsalliance.com/robin-batgirl-devil-worshipping-ghost-benedict-arnold/ ), and 3 features the Spanish Inquisition and almost a Python gag.

I can only ask, "What's next?"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Times change. Times are still changing. Maybe in 50 years we'll be laughing over how outmoded our current morality is.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Hmm? Is this Defenders or Doctor Strange? Strange blew up the universe(And begged Eternity to put it back; he ended up creating a new one almost the same.) and I remember a similar sequence from there.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Holy poo poo, Jonah only just now realizing this isn't all a game is hilarious.

This kinda thing ain't entirely new, as a premise. Not that it ain't funny. That last face alone, after all. He STILL can't stop with the teeth.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

...And I'm like 'why would you want to sue?'.

There's no defamation.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Would explain the amount of control that suit's doing. He's completely out of control, lots of near misses, but he hasn't hit anything.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Suleman posted:

Speaking of that issue:

Tell me the next page is Goblin hugging him or something. Because that's all I can imagine.

"You're BACK!!!"

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

How much stuff have comics come up with that are weirder than fanfiction anyway?

All of it. Hell, reality is often stranger than any kind of fiction.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

To my mind, the defining aspect of Doc Ock is the 4 large metal arms grafted onto his back, not his dapper green tunic and yellow gloves.

There was a period where he was in a white suit.

quote:

Looking at those panels and this discussion, suddenly all I want is a semi-heroic (classic) Doc Ock series.

Related to the above, I remember a Sinister Six collection where he was in the white suit. His plan was to launch a rocket to effectively prevent people from taking the harmful luxury drugs like cocaine. The idea was he'd sell the counter-agent to those who could afford it. I distinctly remember it was one of those times where Spider-Man wondered whether he should have stopped Dr.Octopus.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been half-liking the new She-Hulk book just for the writing (the art just seems weird and makes her look like she's got :downs:), but this sequence is worth posting. The backstory (if you haven't read the book) is that she succeeded in winning US asylum for Doctor Doom's son Kristoff, but he literally stole him out of the courtroom after winning. So She-Hulk decides to go and have a chat with Doom, and...

....I remember Kristoff and Doom having these issues in the old days, too.

Doom's a very old man(Assuming he's even alive these days and hasn't downloaded to a Doombot or something) and someone who's basically done it all. Very good on the resume, doesn't help much when raising someone to be the successor.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Banner pays for both, I guess. Another reason he's at risk of turning into the Hulk at most times.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

From now on whenever anyone tells me Hal Jordan is the best Green Lantern I am going to think of this page.

Justice League of America V1 #110

It's interesting. Sure, 'we' rib on him for being a 'bad' Lantern, but it does make him properly human. Like that one earlier, where he had such a bad raw imagination that it took him far too long to get out of somewhere. And he calls himself on it.

I dunno. I ain't someone who will say someone's the best or worst. I like Kyle. I like John. I ain't entirely familiar with Guy-as-Lantern, but the little I've gotten was memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Amazing Spider-Man #302

I remember this. After this, Spider-man(Who's the shadow on the roof) comes down to talk to the guy. Turns out our man here got bit by a radioactive rabbit(I believe), got the 'proportional speed and strength' but didn't become a hero-just went on living his life-but doing what he could as he could. "What-I should have become the Amazing Bunny-Man or something?"

It's a nice and interesting sequence.

• Locked thread