Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's plenty of substance though. The one where a reporter asks him what's the hardest thing he's had to do in 80 years, and he says he's 83 years old. He does a mean Jack Benny, but nobody really gets it anymore. We the reader have just gotten done watching him write a letter to the granddaughter of a friend of his from WW2 that just died of cancer, so we get what he's really saying. I mean it's funny and sad [The cleanest story he can tell the granddaughter of their time together is the time he convinced his friend that robots can get drunk and challenged him to a drinking contest. And as he reminds the granddaughter he clearly has no mouth and can not in fact drink anything.], and it also involves SCIENCE! adventures fighting giant ants in Nevada.

A lot of Robo is just good clean fun, but it's not afraid to swing away for emotion every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rustmouth Chafings posted:

That whole issue is outstanding.

Clint does not speak French.

He's great at boats though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The idea of the Hulk going around deputizing ducks brightened my day.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I love how he has all these spider based abilities, and then out of loving nowhere he has precognition. Because that is what it is, it's not like he has some sort of hyper-sense subconscious understanding of danger about to happen or some such. Nope, he's just flat out psychic. Dude knew when Thanos killed half of all life. Why? Spider radiation makes you magic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
God drat I love Frenchie and the Female.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

John Dyne posted:

His point is that, with so many superpowered beings showing off, how is the average human being supposed to determine which one is a god and which one is just claiming to be?

He can wait til he dies and gets tortured forever for being an atheist, it's not complicated.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Have you seen the last few big things to happen to the Norse? I'm pretty sure that still counts as "tortured forever".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Are they cops that are dogs, or are they cops that work with dogs, or are they cops that only work on dog related crime, or is it some sort of mix of the three? THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I like Pym pretty much up to that moment. He's been okay in Avengers Academy but I had to suffer through that Scientist Supreme bullshit.

It turning out to be Loki loving with him is one giant laugh at his expense yet again, which is almost expected at this point. To the degree where I'm shocked his first response wasn't "Yeah, no, there's really no way anything cosmically important happens to me. I'm pretty sure there are about nine superior scientists to me on the Earth right now. I don't even know if I beat Stark. Who are you and what do you want from me?".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Well they did have that one page where they describe Richards and Stark as the Explorer Supreme and Engineer Supreme respectively...

I mean there's the reality that every single scientist in the Marvel setting has to deal with: Reed Richards is just better at everything than everyone else. Even breeding. His first child is functionally omnipotent, and his second child is just a smarter version of himself. If you pioneer a radical new field of science and understanding, he will be better at you at it inside a month if he wants to be. Also, unless you are Bruce Banner? He can probably kick the poo poo out of you in a straight up fight. He also managed to keep a marriage together, which is practically the most herculean feat possibly in the Marvel Universe.

It must loving suck to be a genius scientist in the Marvel Universe with Reed Richards hanging over your head. I'm surprised more people don't pull a Doom.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I like to think that Captain America was invited to the side with the gods because he was rocking it in Team Banana Hammock with Hercules.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I can't account for Reed, but that really is the best description of Stark. He's an engineer, not a scientist. Waid is saying basically the same thing in Indestructible Hulk right now, so it wasn't actually the worst idea Slott had.

Of course the statement is made as a sort of backhanded complement which leads to a great comment from Tony.

Which of course follows from the beginning of the issue where Bruce Banner hasn't *actually* cured cancer, he's just removed the ability of vast swaths of products to generate carcinogens. Ever. So he's only practically removed large quantities of cancer from being a problem.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 24, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Less concerning than the fact that Val wants to use nukes to power a time machine is the fact that apparently the FF have nukes just lying around the place where children can mess with them. Y'know, in the Baxter Building, which only comes under attack every other Friday.

The boy is omnipotent, it seems unfair the girl can't have a nuke now and again. Fair is fair.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

KayTee posted:

[edit] So... What was the bet/deal that got us all that naked Tony & Hulk?

Bruce won a futurist award, which lead to discussions of their particular styles [Tony saying that Bruce can be a bit of a downer, Bruce saying Tony can be flashy and without substance] and when a situation popped up Tony suggested they split into teams headed by him and Bruce to resolve it, and the loser pays 100k. Bruce says he's not exactly a billionaire, so Tony says the loser has to walk naked from the tower to the mansion. Technically neither of them fulfill the terms of the bet, leading to that ending [But mostly because everyone was having a lot of fun screwing with them].

That entire little story arc from Avengers Assemble 9-11 is solid gold, and everyone should check it out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure almost no one in the US had even seen or heard about hentai back in the 90s; the internet was still barely past text based browsing for most people.

As a side note there was a small but healthy anime culture even in the 80s. People managed to get into weird, niche poo poo without the internet just fine back in the day. And Akira really blew the whole thing up for some folks, by the time the 90s rolled around people could rent that poo poo at a video store without much trouble.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

This panel never really made sense to me. Psychopaths sometimes profess to deeply love somebody they seriously abuse, but this is because they don't really understand what "love" means. If true love and anguish hold some sort of supernatural power (this is a comic book) then these netherdemons aren't really getting what they asked for.

Doom isn't a psychopath.

HE IS DOOM!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yes, but Tony Stark is an idiot. I mean seriously, how badly do you have to gently caress up that people think the Green Goblin is a better choice for your job? Tony Stark believing a thing is almost proof of it being a bad idea. Maybe if it's like his third idea down he'll finally start to be correct. Like if he was a theist, then agnostic, then flat out atheist? Maybe. As that's not it, "Tony Stark: Atheist" is basically a giant neon sign saying "Atheists are terrible".

Like every super scientist in the setting he's a B-List Reed Richards. Reed Richard's best friend dies, he doesn't secular humanist him back to life. He goes to heaven and he finds his loving buddy's soul, then he talks to God and has that poo poo cleared up. If heaven is good enough for Reed Richards, it's good enough for me :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It makes more sense when you realize that "ORBITING HOSPITAL" really means "DEATH CAMP FOR UNDESIRABLES".

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

That really needed a sarcastic response instead of the "Saving kids in Africa" we got considering Banner has tried to commit suicide before.

Well he touched on that, but he knew that Scott was really asking "Why shouldn't *I* kill myself?". And a sarcastic response probably wouldn't have ended with them hugging it out. Maybe Banner just wanted a situation to end with hugging it out for once.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
I don't think there would be a lot of takers if Gambit tried to pull a Full Retard again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
God is dead, and Donald Duck has killed him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah, two panels was all it took to remind me why it ended when it did. YA really was a story that either hit with you or never would.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Breetai posted:

That's amazing. Does anyone know what fight this is?

e: the expression on the guy in the background. :allears:

Le Banner/Bernardo from back in 95. Le Banner is the guy that kisses him first, and he knocks out Bernardo in the second round.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Well let's be honest is there such a thing as a non-erotic portrait of Namor? It's like trying to draw Sonic fanart that isn't extremely hosed up.

You can tell him the most meaningful relationship he's ever had in his life was with his cousin, that he's a poo poo ruler that constantly gets his kingdom blown up or is disposed, that he is always running off to join random super-hero teams because he's desperate to prove that he isn't going to die alone and unloved, and that for all his posturing nobody actually runs off to be with Namor because he's an unlovable prick.

Then you paint that.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also, she can defeat anyone, as long as it happens offscreen.

Hey, she defeated Wolverine *mostly* on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

The MSJ posted:

That's what I want from that Quicksilver movie Fox might make. It's a day in his life stealing things, pranking people, and eventually escalating to him stopping a villain entirely by accident.

Quicksilver is no Silver Age Batman or Superman [Mark Miller at his absolutely most pointlessly brutal has never come up with a character a fifth of the douchebag Silver Age Superman is], but he gives it a good run. I will always love him for using the Skrull invasion to go "Oh, yeah, all that insanely horrible poo poo that happened was done by my Skrull duplicate. What a monster he was! Good thing I'm not *that* guy, and am thus totally blameless in that incredibly reprehensible poo poo!".

• Locked thread