Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I tell you what, if a drunken Wolverine tells me to fly around the world so it's happy hour all the time, I'm not going to argue economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I like to imagine that whoever wrote the story just knew literally nothing about penguins, and when the illustrator got to that point they just stared at the notes for a long moment, trying to decide whether or not to push pack and face all the trouble that could cause before just saying 'gently caress it, baby penguin flies home'.

I mean even if there was some sort of confusion and it was supposed to be a puffin or something instead of a penguin, it's not like a newly-hatched chick of any kind can fly, they go through that puffball phase of being blind and useless.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Is Wolverine vs. Raptors a long-standing thing? Because I had a stack of old comics as a kid including Uncanny X-men #115 where they're in the Savage Land fighting Sauron and Garokk, and Wolverine is sneaking through these tunnels when bam, Raptor out of nowhere tries to bite his arm off.

Wolverine must really hate raptors by now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

This guy was considered fat enough that he was part of a touring circus:

I mean ok he's a little chunky, but I could throw a rock and hit two people like that in the street these days, I certainly don't need to pay a carnival money to see one.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hippie Jesus is almost certainly Aquarian.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Does his head grow a new body or his body a new head? Or do they both grow replacements and you get two wolverines? I expect that they dodge this question by having someone put his head back in place to rejoin or something.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Frankly the problem with that page isn't Hulk, because yea, Hulk is stupid and emotionally crippled. The problem with that page is that Captain America decided that was a good way to rile him up, and that he's draw sneering like a shithead while saying it. Surely there is something else that could have been used? Like 'Those ships are going to bill Betty!' And, if not, Cap could at least be delivering it with distaste because he knows it's lovely.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Newspaper Spider-Man is just incredible, and I have to believe that Stan Lee still writes it himself. I know he's old and busy and whatever, but that's more than a week of strips and you know he could write that in ten minutes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Next week's story is Spiderman sitting in coach, trying to work out how to eat free peanuts and listen to the in-flight entertainment without compromising his mask.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

Wouldn't it be safer to not have the claws out until you're in the air?
But then how would we know that's wolverine?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The 'springtime of our youth' thing is part of an unattributed poem about war deaths, you can find it plastered all over veterans sites and memorials. That actually makes sense, because the other pages are talking about the possibility of people dying in the attack, and the full quote is about the fallen who "remain in perpetual springtime". I don't think it's an anime thing.

On the other hand, we live in a world where a presidential candidate quoted pokemon theme on the campaign trail, so a Naruto quote ending up on a memorial is something that could legitimately happen.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It might not be the best of them (I like the Loki on is tops), but I have to appreciate the Silver Slother.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You know how some plants grow flowers that imitate bees/wasps/etc to help with pollination? Ivy should basically be that. As in, the actual Ivy is some crazy mutant plant creature like swamp thing (or even less human). But it needs to interact with people to get poo poo done, and it knows that people don't like giant squashy plant things. So it 'flowers' to produce decoy bodies when it needs them to handle people, then get discarded to whither and rot.

All those times Ivy was at the center of a cluster of vines/branches and you thought she as controlling them? That was actually the real Ivy dangling her puppet.

Of course for this to be meaningful you would need to have a certain amount of body-horror revolving around the puppets, which how shallow their facade is or the weirdness involved with their discard/decay.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Jubilee's powers can split atoms. Maddrox's powers violate conservation of mass and energy. Hank Pym could shrink all threats to sub-atomic size easily. Vision and Shadowcat should be able to defeat everyone who isn't an energy manipulator in 3 seconds by punching them in the brain. But if writers acknowledged all this poo poo, comics would be really boring. And it actually kind of bugs me when a writer thinks it's "badass" to have a character suddenly ignore the agreed-upon in-universe limitations of their powers to one-shot a threat, because it really hurts the suspension of disbelief.

This reminds me of the animated Fantastic Four cartoon where Galactus is all set to eat the world and the Fantastic Four and guest-appearing Thor can't stop him. Then Ghost Rider fells him with a single Penance Stare, without even getting off his bike, because I guess Galactus has killed so many people having it turned back on him really hurts?

Of course, that is even weirder because I think that is the first and only appearance of Ghost Rider in the show. He just rides up, blasts Galactus, and then rides off.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, does Banner Hulk out anytime he hears a gunshot, thinking it's at him? It makes no sense at all.
The whole thing, hell the whole Hulk mythos, is incredibly retarded, and so is anyone who likes and supports the Hulk.

In the intro to the Hulk live action series, Banner is trying to change a tire in the rain and the tire iron slips. He immediately hulks out and throws the car. It's amazing he lasts long enough between changes to buy more clothes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hercules wanders around in that little skirt getup, and The Thing just wears short-shorts.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What happens if she goes back in time and becomes her own ancestor and then commits suicide?

Somehow she needs to get Madrox into her family tree, so that she can create and kill as many ancestors as needed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I have to admire RAZOR FIST for sticking to his thing and keeping his sword-arms on even when he is relaxing in a bath. I mean sure, he could probably swap out the unwieldy blades for something moderately useful like a couple of hooks or some sort of prosthetic, but he didn't call himself OCCASIONAL RAZOR FIST, did he?

It reminds me of that tug-of-war picture where Cap is wearing swim trunks and just his headpiece/mask.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

So... whenever he blinks, the inside of his eyelids are getting constantly punched?

Sure, but Cyclops is immune to the effects of his own beams, because his body naturally generates a psionic field attuned to the blasts frequency, allowing him to absorb them without harm. That's also why he and Alex (his brother) are immune to each other's blasts, they share the same frequency. He uses a visor made of ruby quartz because that material resonates at the same frequency as his body's psionic field, allowing it to likewise absorb the blasts without damage.

He isn't completely immune to Vulcan's powers, though, maybe because the space-travel and growth acceleration caused some sort of frequency drift?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Uthor posted:

I'm imagining a slumber party where Doom is being given a makeover.

Now I'm imagining a slumber party where the kids get makeovers, but only to look more like Doom.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

A number of RPGs/games use the term 'Soak' to refer to a statistic/ability that negates a particular amount of incoming damage (that is, damage which is 'soaked' from a source is simply ignored/discarded, as opposed to being accumulated against something like a Health/Hit Point total and eventually disabling the character). Now that I think about it, I can only recall the specific term being used in books for White Wolf like Vampire: the Masquerade or Exalted, but the actual concept is fairly common in games and most people who have played RPGs would understand it. I assume that it's crossed over into video games where there is a similar mechanic. This is why it would be seen as nerdy.

Of course, RPGs used the term 'soak' because one of its regular means is just 'absorb', as in 'soak up the sun' or 'soaking up information', so even if you aren't a nerd the meaning is pretty clear. It's not like she is making a THAC0 joke or something that direct.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I like the idea that he wears a turtleneck around the house to play chess or whatever, and then when danger strikes he immediately disrobes to face the Kree naked. Maybe he read about Celts and Gauls and decided that was badass.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I am sure it turns out that Batman and Superman are just participating in some sort of performance art, and immediately after that panel it pans to a series of serious-looking critics evaluating their piece.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Midniter posted:

This is such bullshit. It takes light 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us from the sun, so there's no way Superman could have thrown Batman into it in only 2 seconds. Immersion completely ruined.

But Batman isn't made of light? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Am I crazy, or didn't this storyline already occur in the Saturday-morning cartoon, where Spider-man had to round up a bunch of alternates (including an actor who plays him in our world) to... fight something or other? Is this a recurring thing?

• Locked thread