Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah it's more sad than funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I love that book so much, who knew the Man Thing would become such a great character?

Look at this clown, ain't ever read the original run by Steve Gerber.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Anyone else see that final pose and think of Beavis and Butt-head singing Iron Man?

I was actually thinking this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think someone mentioned last time that that second page reads better if you imagine everyone's being sarcastic, and it's true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MelvinTheJerk posted:

If this is too much let me know and I'll delete it, but I really wanted to post the entire fight.

From West Coast Avengers #5: The West Coast Avengers try (and possibly succeed) to kill Werewolf By Night. Enjoy!

So is there a reason why Werewolf-by-night looks like some kind of red Krampus here instead of anything resembling a werewolf?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

You know, it's weird, I keep expecting to get tired of it, but I really like them going back to this universe over and over. Seeing the same thing from different angles is just kinda fun, I guess.

It's a Marvel apocalypse story that didn't completely wear out its premise in half an issue *cough* Marvel Zombies *cough*

Marvel Zombies definitely came out the gate stumbling, but a lot of good comics were made before it became completely stale. Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies alone justifies everything that came before.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how the old comic is still refusing to keep up with the times and keeping JJJ as a crusty old newspaper editor behind an old desk.

Other Spiderman comics have updated him to a a logical modern version of him as an angry public multiMedia Mogul, like Rupert Murdoch, which is a brilliant update.

But this version, yep, Stan Lee's not changing, no sir.

Updating Jonah Jameson pretty much ruins the point of Jonah Jameson. He was an old-fashioned throwback even in the 60s.

E: Plus why on earth should a newspaper comic be expected to keep with the times in any way? They're still printing Dick Tracy for god's sake.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Just once I'd like to see a character who was a raging dick during a crossover event show remorse and apologize instead of becoming even more defiant.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't thank me, thank my 40 years of Avengers DVD!

Avengers 222, obviously.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That better be Forbush man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Unfit For Space posted:

Isn't that the brother that's in Dark Avengers now? I'm pretty sure he got better.

Took him 30 years and a lovely mini-series, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pacra posted:

Wait, he's gone and someone brought the awful characterization back? Did they hate fun or something?

That's the only explanation I can figure, yeah. Jeff Parker's a good writer but he felt the need to get rid of Aaron Stack and bring back boring-rear end Machine Man, right down to his stupid swimming cap outfit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They live in a gated community, with fences to keep out the undesirables.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Slaughterhaul posted:

The point remains that Garth Ennis is a writer and doesn't write to his artists saying please draw things like "dicks or butts".

But he literally did in the case of that character. He wanted his head to look like a penis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, I know this guy!

Cherry, not sure what issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

gently caress context.

Avenging Spider-man Annual #1

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh deary me!

2000AD, not sure what issue. Pretty sure it's from Judge Dredd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone also felt Bendis missed an opportunity at "swerving" people in USM by having it be May who dies, but in his words "That doesn't need fixing. It works." And I agree. Boy loses a father figure and has to become a man. Boom. Even with the most modern possible view on gender roles, a boy losing his mother figure is quite a different narrative arc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It looks like he's turning into Dark Knight Returns Batman in panel 1.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's comforting to know the years haven't dulled my contempt for John Allison's attempts at humor.

The Goon v3 #41

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

True Fact: The "high five" was invented by undercover Nazis as a hasty way of correcting themselves if caught in the middle of a Heil Hitler salute. It's an interesting quirk of history that the phrase "don't leave me hangin'" was thus coined by non-native speakers of English.

I don't think that's the link you wanted to post.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Goddamn, I love that panel. I really love the narration too, and feel that it too often gets overlooked in favor of just gazing at the rad image. You just don't get intros like "The indestructible Nick Fury appears like a human cyclone to face a new foe!" anymore.

Oh, and here's a panel from Deadpool #3:

What the heck is going on with Deadpool's speech bubble there? Is it a printer error or some kind of effect to convey his voice being gravelly?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

What kind of God gets beat up by a guy with a crowbar?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

As if Stark didn't build his own browser. Tony Stark's browser is the best browser, and it will gladly tell you so every time you open it. In his voice.

Every few months it gets taken over by a virus and starts doing a bunch of poo poo you can't control, but that isn't proof of sloppy design or anything, these viruses are just too clever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

prefect posted:

Doctor Druid is back?! :woop:

(I have a soft spot for heroes who aren't chiseled and don't have a beautiful head of hair.)

No, that panel immediately follows this one:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

Does Spidey not remember that Carnage is immune to sonics? I see to remember that as a plot point in Maximum Carnage. That's why they needed Firestar to help take him down.

You're misremembering. Symbiotes are weak to fire and sonics, and Carnage is no exception. Spidey goes and gets the sonic gun from the FF, they only get Firestar as well to hedge their bets.

I think there's a mention that Carnage seems to react a bit more to fire and a bit less to sonics than Venom but it still works on him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

It must loving suck to be a genius scientist in the Marvel Universe with Reed Richards hanging over your head. I'm surprised more people don't pull a Doom.

There was a story in the late 90s where some guy had finally finished his jankety, hulking prototype shrinking machine after nearly a decade of research, and a week before he presented it to investors, Reed Richards just casually mentioned he was putting a finalized handheld shrinking and growing ray on the market.

The guy completely lost it and enacted a very pathetic revenge plan that ended up with Psycho Man abducting him to torture him in the microverse.

Wooo, go Reed!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Based on the last two panels, I choose to believe Tony's Avengers com-card has a secret program that takes the standard com-link bust holo and draws the rest of the body in so Tony has something to ogle.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Anyway, it works better when you take it as Spider-Man joking. :colbert:

I'm sure he'll be joking next issue when he tries to murder Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Also the last issue started with Glory teaming up with Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, and Ernest Hemingway to fight crime in 1920's paris.

Man how hard is it to have an actual french-speaking person check your french in 2013.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you mean Glory, it's part of the joke. Her French is supposed to be terrible.

What about the guy in the top hat, is his french supposed to be garbage too? Cuz it is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

They should just add X-23 back into Gambit as his sidekick, like Hawkeye 2 is in Hawkeye.

Then they could have a crossover!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gambit is 100% an older brother to X-23, there's not that creepy vibe like in Hawkeye. It's quite charming, really.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

I had a comment on this, but in the time it took me to locate some content to go with it, the comment became superfluous.

Still, I have content! In IDW's new My Little Pony comic, the changeling queen, Chrysalis, has returned and replaced most of the citizens of Ponyville with changelings. Twilight Sparkle and her friends discover this, defeat the changelings, and free the townsfolk, but three little fillies are still missing. Then Chrysalis calls Twilight up on a magic orb...

(The green tint is because the orb is glowing green and the fillies are stuck in a translucent cocoon.)

Out—out are the lights—out all!
And over each quivering form,
The curtain, a funeral pall,
Comes down with the rush of a storm,
And the angels, all pallid and wan,
Uprising, unveiling, affirm
That the play is the tragedy "BSS,"
And its hero FredMSloniker.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I thought Frank Castle shot a rocket at his crotch?

I think that was a new Stilt-man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Mark Waid really wasn't having any of that Doc Ock/Peter bullshit considering all the piss he was taking throughout the issue. Like how he has Stilt Man also use the phrase "The die is cast" too on the next page.

Edit: Also the recap page.

Yeah he hated the idea so much that he chose to use it in his comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Has Marvel become really, really good over the past couple of years? The last major storyline I read was Civil War and a lot of the Dark Reign stuff that followed it didn't really interest me (though by that point I'd sort of stopped reading new superhero comics).

They've got some really awful stuff and a bunch of by the numbers books, but there's also been a number of runs by certain writers and artists that have been some of the best comics to come out in years, if not decades.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

I find it puzzling that the Punisher would survive such an incredibly bad idea.

Garth Ennis armor. His main characters can literally piss in the Devil's face or moon Darkseid and they'll be totally fine because they're REAL MEN.

But then their love interest will die and they'll break down sobbing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I thought that was just their New 52 designs.

New 52 Harley Quinn looks like the human version of a particularly bad Sonic fan character from Deviantart, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Or maybe because she called them out on not being teachers like she says right there in the panel?

That's a pretty bad reason, but then so is "this girl has eyes on my boyfriend". Kitty is pretty awful at hiring people.

• Locked thread