Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This helps, but I'm not at all familiar with the terminology, the data is in weird chunks and it's missing February.

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1362152952392278017?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Random question about ERCOT & the Texas Interconnect. What kind of federal regulation are they avoiding? They're still beholden to FERC/NERC etc., right?

angryrobots posted:

I've had to do this for secondary cable that was bad under a road, but fortunately the utility I work for has always loop fed any underground primary in subdivisions, so once the bad section of cable is isolated (sometimes a job in and of itself) we can get everything on and replace it in a non-emergency fashion.

This is a thing that confuses me. We're loop fed and the open for our neighborhood is on the xfmr that feeds my house. I got power back awhile back (shout out IBEW Local 48/) and just looked, there's no planned construction for a permanent repair.

Anyway, power is back and we have feeders that aren't importing correctly I have to touch the gis.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There are rumors flying around on FB that the electrical grid is dangerously close to collapsing and expect there to be major problems through the weekend. I'm not an engineer which is why I'm posting ITT, but that's alarming. Just a rumor but if the grid failed, wouldn't we just be out of power for months at least? I'm just imagining the grid as like a big car battery and that once it fails, it can't restart under its own power.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

There are rumors flying around on FB that the electrical grid is dangerously close to collapsing and expect there to be major problems through the weekend. I'm not an engineer which is why I'm posting ITT, but that's alarming. Just a rumor but if the grid failed, wouldn't we just be out of power for months at least? I'm just imagining the grid as like a big car battery and that once it fails, it can't restart under its own power.

I too believe rumors I read on FB.

Texas is having problems because it's Texas. Everybody else is getting along. Super cold weather is not unusual for most of the affected area.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

reading facebook is to your brain what smoking is to your lungs. feel free to do it in the privacy of your own home but please do not spread it secondhand thats just rude

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It hasn't failed in a cascading catastrophic way but we don't know the extent of the damage due to the cold and there's ice storm that's forecasted later this week.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I think if an entire interconnection went down, it wouldn't be anywhere near a matter of months to get it back up. It would be a huge pain in the rear end, but between black start resources and opening up a piece at a time to keep frequency under control I would be shocked if it was more than a matter of days (unless there was a 100+ year freak event that would put polar vorices or Sandy to shame.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Deteriorata posted:

Texas is having problems because it's Texas. Everybody else is getting along.

MISO has had rolling blackouts, but certainly less problems than ERCOT.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just lol at believing "the grid is down for months while it builds up enough charge or whatever"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If the big HV transformers go, that’s a long-term problem. Lines coming down isn’t.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Phanatic posted:

If the big HV transformers go, that’s a long-term problem. Lines coming down isn’t.

Yeah those have serious lead times don’t they?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

catspleen posted:

Yeah those have serious lead times don’t they?

Yes. And there are only a few of the specialized rail cars that are required to move them.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

highme posted:

Random question about ERCOT & the Texas Interconnect. What kind of federal regulation are they avoiding? They're still beholden to FERC/NERC etc., right?

They are avoiding the regulation system operators may impose on the grid that are beyond NERC. Since the ERCOT grid does not have any interstate electricity sales (as far as I'm aware, maybe the DC ties get regulated) FERC doesn't have any oversight of ERCOT's grid operations as they are intrastate only. If ERCOT begins to sell electricity across state lines, it would need to be done under the rules set by FERC.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Yes. And there are only a few of the specialized rail cars that are required to move them.

and those sorts of things are prioritized over people's lives via trip protection - ie they will trip entire grids including hospitals rather than let those things be damaged by voltage/frequency upsets on the line.

How much HVDC is there in the states? In Aus a few years ago the HVDC connector between Vic and Tas was damaged and took months to repair. Admittedly it is also undersea so that complicates it but it was a big deal to repair that bad boy. I love HVDC otherwise.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Just lol at believing "the grid is down for months while it builds up enough charge or whatever"
I don't know poo poo about this. That's why I asked. I'm sorry, I'll go elsewhere. Pricks.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I don't know poo poo about this. That's why I asked. I'm sorry, I'll go elsewhere. Pricks.

The grid is not a battery. Very simplified, it basically is just a bunch of wires going from power stations to everywhere using power, with practically no battery-like storage (spinning generators would keep going for a few minutes if you turn them off i guess). You can spin it back up pretty much instantly once everyone with a power station has prepared to restart.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

My experience is with the Australian National Energy Market which has a peak demand of roughly 35GW.

Expected recovery from a system black condition is between 1 to 3 days depending on the restart scenario and excluding any physical damage that caused the event in the first place. Hopefully it’s closer to 1 day because after that we’d run into coordination issues as telecoms become unreliable. The big challenge is correctly matching supply and load to manage Reactive power and avoid voltage collapse. I’m not an electrical engineer so that bit is beyond me though. I do know that getting it wrong can mean tripping out units and starting again.

Most of our generation is thermal coal which requires fuel oil to pre heat the boilers for a cold start. Power stations only have enough fuel oil for probably two attempts.

Gas infrastructure requires electricity to pressurise the gas supply.

We do have hydro for black start but it’s not anywhere near the load centers.

Last time we had something like this happen was in the 1960s. Simulations are run every year but in a real event who knows what will happen.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

highme posted:

This is a thing that confuses me. We're loop fed and the open for our neighborhood is on the xfmr that feeds my house. I got power back awhile back (shout out IBEW Local 48/) and just looked, there's no planned construction for a permanent repair.

Which part confuses you, cause it sounds like you have a very detailed picture of what's going on? If I catch you explanation correctly, the failed cable was the backfeed and it was feeding your transformer. The other cable that feeds around from the rest of your subdivision was open, on a standoff in your transformer.

I imagine once they determined that the cable was bad, they parked it and plugged the hot cable in your padmount to get your power restored. Then later they got locates and discovered (from that locate, or many other imaginable reasons) that trenching/boring in new cable was going to be A Problem. So a decision was made to string UG primary cable through the air to replace the loop feed, while they figure out a permanent repair.

This is just a guess, but I bet there's some factor holding up getting a new cable installed. As you alluded to earlier, UG installs can get really complicated when there's other buried utilities, storm drains, sewer lines, etc.

Phanatic posted:

That's true, but they have protection schemes to prevent damage from overload. It's certainly possible that while pushing them to the limit in this weather event, they could find one that has an existing issue like oil contamination, but multiple failures seem unlikely to me.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

highme posted:

NERC maybe, but definitely not FERC. FERC doesn't touch ERCOT because its grid doesn't go past Texas borders.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Small wind question only vaguely related to Texas: Do wind turbines have any active anti or de-ice systems, or do they just eat the aerodynamic inefficiency when weather ices up the blades?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrYenko posted:

Small wind question only vaguely related to Texas: Do wind turbines have any active anti or de-ice systems, or do they just eat the aerodynamic inefficiency when weather ices up the blades?

They can be constructed with built-in warming elements inside the blades. You use some of the generated power to keep the blades warm and they won't ice over. It's really not that difficult and was almost guaranteed to be another corner Texas cut over the past decades

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

MrYenko posted:

IIRC Europe is way ahead of the US in implementing any kind of systemic blade icing technology or protocol.

https://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2019/09/23/turbineicing

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Theres poo poo tons of windmills and solar in Colorado and they do just fine in the winter time. This is another cost cutting $texas$ measure.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Yeah. We have wind farms in ND that are spinning at -20f air temp. This is just an lol Texas thing

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

My experience is with the Australian National Energy Market which has a peak demand of roughly 35GW.

Expected recovery from a system black condition is between 1 to 3 days depending on the restart scenario and excluding any physical damage that caused the event in the first place. Hopefully it’s closer to 1 day because after that we’d run into coordination issues as telecoms become unreliable. The big challenge is correctly matching supply and load to manage Reactive power and avoid voltage collapse. I’m not an electrical engineer so that bit is beyond me though. I do know that getting it wrong can mean tripping out units and starting again.
Very similar in the US.

The main limitation is going to be the batteries inside the substations for relays and communications. Those are mandated to last a minimum of 8 hours, so that is usually what they are specked for. After that, you are going to need to get portable generators out to your substation to charge up those batteries before you energize the substation. If you energize a substation without your relays properly powered, you risk a fault, or something not operating correctly taking your fragile system back down.

So basically after about 8 hours from an all black situation, the restoration will start to slow down considerably.

I believe all the NERC manuals regarding the regulation of black start plans are publicly available on their website, so anyone can go read them.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

angryrobots posted:

Which part confuses you, cause it sounds like you have a very detailed picture of what's going on? If I catch you explanation correctly, the failed cable was the backfeed and it was feeding your transformer. The other cable that feeds around from the rest of your subdivision was open, on a standoff in your transformer.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. As best as I can tell I’m still fed by the temp overhead construction. I was confused why they didn’t close the open and to provide power from the other side. Like you said though, there’s a bunch of different variables that go into that decision making process and I’m sure as poo poo not gonna be standing there bugging crews with incessant questions.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

highme posted:

Sorry I wasn’t clear. As best as I can tell I’m still fed by the temp overhead construction. I was confused why they didn’t close the open and to provide power from the other side. Like you said though, there’s a bunch of different variables that go into that decision making process and I’m sure as poo poo not gonna be standing there bugging crews with incessant questions.

Ah. Well I can't speak for all utilities, but our practice is to not park a backfeed without using it to feed some meters, because if it fails you won't have any idea until the main feed goes bad and you need it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Germany's Green Plan going so well, they want to cut down and pelletize Namibian wood for fuel

https://twitter.com/Dr_Keefer/status/1362462889660076036?s=20

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Germany's Green Plan going so well, they want to cut down and pelletize Namibian wood for fuel

https://twitter.com/Dr_Keefer/status/1362462889660076036?s=20

This is why carbon credit or tax schemes will always end up being worse than clear policy directives. The loopholes (when emissions/activities aren't included) and leakages (when emissions/activities are allowed to escape regulation) are inevitable, that's the whole point of the trading system, to incentivize people exploiting loopholes and leakages.

Option 1: Create a carbon taxing/credit scheme that allows coal fired powerplants to burn wood instead by shipping it around the globe and claiming it is 100% carbon neutral by pretending it is all 100% waste product, leading to more emissions. Or gives so much money to coal plants to flare their gas seeps that it keeps the coal mine open when it would otherwise close down, leading to more emissions. Or allows a gimmick company to be the most valuable one in its industry by selling credits that allow 3x the pollution they prevent under the name of "promoting innovation", leading to more emissions. These are all real world examples already happening.

Option 2: Phase out the emitters, some now, some as soon as you have built the replacements and shifted need away from them. Spend the money used on administering and incentivizing option 1 to help build the replacement. That works for coal plants, the natural gas system, even personally owned internal combustion engine vehicles.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Option 2: Phase out the emitters, some now, some as soon as you have built the replacements and shifted need away from them. Spend the money used on administering and incentivizing option 1 to help build the replacement. That works for coal plants, the natural gas system, even personally owned internal combustion engine vehicles.

sounds like the government doing stuff, why do you hate freedom

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hasnt even Japan and the area near Fukushima itself gotten over its atomz fear?

christ Germany.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Schnabel wagons. They can carry around 400 tons max load. I think the trucks have a total of 8 to 12 axles each on them which limits the route due to turn radius (power usually has 3 per truck). All structural gauge has to be checked along the route along with fitness of every single crossing due to the weight being focused (standard wagon has a gvw of slightly under 296,000 lbs). Max travel speed of approximately 10 mph. There's only 30 of them in the US out of around 1.3 million pieces of rolling stock.

All that together means you're going to have to coordinate multiple class 1s to get from industrial lead to the site. That's a lot of delayed blocks and a lot of money to be paid for the privilege.

Yeesh.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Here's the graphic I've been looking for!

https://twitter.com/RichardMeyerDC/status/1364378468276961281?s=20

The dip on the 15th @ 00:00 should have never, ever happened in the first place. It's quite clear gas failed vs. any other power source.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Here's the graphic I've been looking for!

https://twitter.com/RichardMeyerDC/status/1364378468276961281?s=20

The dip on the 15th @ 00:00 should have never, ever happened in the first place. It's quite clear gas failed vs. any other power source.

Obviously the solution to this is to import wood from Africa and burn it.

https://www.robinwood.de/sites/defa...r%20Mueller.pdf

quote:

The BCBU-project, which is being funded with around ten million Euros during its current phase, promotes the industrial-scale removal of woody plants, Namibia’s largest carbon sink3, across an area of around 30 million hectares, an area the size of Italy. Furthermore, there are strong indications that the project could be ecologically damaging. For example, a Strategic Environmental Impact Assessment commissioned by GIZ and the Namibian Government warns of significant environmental risks.4 Finally, negative impacts on employment as well as an exacerbation of social inequality can be expected5. The project could thus become a classic case of a development causing social and ecological harm.

The apparent aims of the BCBU project are the intensification of cattle ranching and the development of a ‘big biomass business’.6 Since 2019-20, a bushwood export strategy has been promoted with those two goals. Bushwood is to be burned as fuel in converted coal plants, such as in the Tiefstack plant located in Hamburg. Due to a legal carbon accounting ‘trick’, energy from burning bushwood would be lawfully classified as CO2-neutral.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

This even better,

https://twitter.com/kaleekreider/status/1364395404712943620?s=20

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That nuclear line looks pretty stable, even if you can see the point where the one reactor got shut down.

Natural gas being what hosed up the most is never going to be addressed in this state though!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

That nuclear line looks pretty stable, even if you can see the point where the one reactor got shut down.

Natural gas being what hosed up the most is never going to be addressed in this state though!

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but solar and wind looks to have had similar drops (proportionally) as natural gas.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but solar and wind looks to have had similar drops (proportionally) as natural gas.

I think most of that is the daily light/dark cycle, which they would have planned around. Wind also dropped off but it is also within its normal fluctuation.

At February 14, you see drops in nuclear, coal, and gas which are substantial. Wind stays almost constant across there. It looks like wind drops because the coal and nuclear lines drop underneath it - but the height of the blue itself looks pretty continuous, albeit dropping slowly.

Wind and solar are managed based on weather predictions, and gas backup lined up to replace it when it falls. There was no gas back up, though, because gas was collapsing and couldn't meet its own quota.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Obviously the solution to this is to import wood from Africa and burn it.

https://www.robinwood.de/sites/defa...r%20Mueller.pdf

gently caress Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

suck my woke dick posted:

gently caress Germany.

https://twitter.com/simonwakter/status/1367154920890236934?s=20

So, Germany's Ex-Chancellor, who pushed Anti-Nuclear propaganda and supported the Oil/Gas Pipeline to Germany from Russia was just appointed to the board as a "Independent Director" of the Russia state owned Oil company.

Hm, wonder what the connection is....