Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

silence_kit posted:

I didn't really get that at all from his post. It sounded more to me that he said that improvements to solar energy are imaginary.

However, if you want to make that point, then OK. Point noted. The reasons why the improvements to nuclear energy have been ignored by American politicians have been discussed to death in this thread. This thread probably should more appropriately be titled "The Nuclear Energy Apologism Megathread" or maybe the "The Nuclear Energy Excuse Generation Megathread."

Apologize and excuse for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So why is energy from mysterious patented cold fusion atoms a-okay. But energy from real science atoms not?

fake edit: Fossil Fuels/Hydrocarbons are indirectly from the Sun. That means that coal and oil are renewable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Coincidentally I just heard an ad on the radio for a new environmental documentary called "Pandora's Promise", seems that some greenies are reconsidering the deady atom.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
To a lesser extent air-conditioning, refrigeration and electricity also allow large populations to live in hot places. I think PBS or NPR had something about AC helping Reagan win.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How's Japan doing? Didn't they also try the ocean wave thing? Are they still not using land that has less atoms than some places?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Cars are stupid, nuclear powered hypersonic ramjets are where it's at.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Clearly the nuclear power plant that's 1 AU away is undependable.(and deadly)

We should burn more coal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How is Japan doing?

The most recent semi-related thing I read about Japan was from a definitely not bias hippy granola website about how some German not-dumbass was selling "Fukushima water" for a billion $ as a statement about the cost of atoms.

Also my friend said something about sky-rocketing stomach rates.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Too bad there's no poltical will to do that.

I'm hopeing China has some break throughs before the poo poo really get bad and we have the Science Race 2 : Race for Fusion

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
This sounds like it's on the same level of the solar road. IIRC this might be okay for foot traffic maybe? Another idea I heard over the years is wind stuff near the road.

The worst ideas are the wind stuff on cars and car/road magnet combos.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Well then go buy a bunch of smoke detectors.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

computer parts posted:

Burning things involves oxygen. When you burn Hydrogen, you make water (vapor). Unless you trap the water, it will go into the atmosphere just like any other evaporated water.

And that's where HYDRO-gen got its name. Water-forming. Also Earth's core would have to freeze and the magnetic field has to die before there's a net lost with the atompshere.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Speaking of solar, anyone hear about France having a small segment of solar road that costs like a million $ for just 50 feet or something.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Three-Phase posted:

It's really only a matter of time until Russian malware just completely kills the US power grid. :allears:

Just don't say we didn't warn you about this. We've got a house of cards that could come tumbling down.

Didn't the US do some sabre rattling about doing this to Russia recently(before Nov. 8)? Seemed kinda weirdly hawkish to publicly say "hey stop it or else!", but that is poltics and goes well beyond the scope of this thread.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
doesnt it take decades for trees to get to useful sizes?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
globalism is hell of a drug / sometimes its better to let other countries/peeps do things for cheaper/better.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The other thing about NG vs coal is that coal (generally) releases a lot more nasty particulates including toxic and nucleonic than gas. Even if it was similar in carbon emissions to NG, NG makes sense over coal.

Similar to how diesel engines are now out of favor even though they cause less carbon emissions than an equivalent petrol car.

VVVAgreed, I really enjoyed it and it highlights that we can yell "THERE IS NO CHOICE BUT TO BUILD OUT NUCLEAR NOW" all we want but yelling don't give you a 15,000 t press VVV

clearly Merica should reopen the heavy press program and finally make those 100K ton presses.

also maybe try to future proof it and go for 200 or even higher.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
science and tech fetistism applies to solar and wind bugs too?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
green peace and peta are for rich celeb slackervism and tax writeoff. Sea shepard maybe too??

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
what about cloud machine learning AI blockcoin cold green agile [insert whatever new buzzword] fusion?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the gov should ban all electric tops except induction.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hasnt even Japan and the area near Fukushima itself gotten over its atomz fear?

christ Germany.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its not atomz, its chemicalz, therefore its safer.

or at least more stable.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

And all while doing this, Russia is actually building more nuclear plants, Poland is investigating building US designed ones as well.

not to get tinhat, but i wonder what % of russian troll farms post anti atom stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is the magazine/thing he's an editor and consultant of also a proxy for hydrocarbons?

like i get keeping tabs on your opponents, but this is like having Tobacco exec on a lung cancer board. ( this has probably happen)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
welp, i hope non regressives and the lcd public at large super speedrun their position on atomz, like at this point people should be my specific school of contrarian thought.

"Big hydrocarbon is anti it, therefore I'm pro it."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

karthun posted:

As a reminder Greepeace sells is own brand of natural gas that they have promised would be 100% renewable in 10 years for the last 10 years.

Green Nat Gas? How is that a thing? is this some bio fermenting thing with algae or yeast? Sounds like the biomass/wood pellet scam but with a few extra science steps.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

The first functioning commercial fusion plant will probably also just be used to boil water lol

Yeaahhh? Like thats how fission works too.

Wait whats this direct energy conversion stuff? this seems like another paradigm shift thing that a complete game changer.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
astronomers are nimby, but Musk and other techbros are dumbasses that dont care.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
This is extremely tinhat, but I feel like Germany would have followed this hydrocarbon path even in timelines where Fukushima didnt happen(along with other non events at plants ).

There's some backdoors money being shuffled around, maybe Putin has one instance of a Russian future without himself and knows that he should make parts of Euro dependant on his gas.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"but a theoretical intelligent species in the far future could be hurt."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Maybe America will get into atomz when they see that both China and Russia are racing to atomz.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
FYGM.

Pig/Horse Insulin allows me to live longer so I can grief more money. - one of the high level PETA people.

Also you should probably add anything that relies on nuclear science or tech.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
no, its actually a dull gray metal.

Though the water can be blueish do to ftl (for the medium of water) radiation.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Its both stupid and dishonest. Even moreso when they bemoan nuclear waste but have no real plan to address the very real impact of Carbon/Methane emissions which is doing far more damage.

but what if the nuclear waste hurts a hypothetical far far future human or intelligent species?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt fertilizer harder to weaponized due to OK City, not to mentione that stores have to report suspiciously large purchases.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Humans are the real monsters, the exclusion zones have become green spaces, where wildlife thrives in the humanfree oasis.

If Time Sqaure became one, it would also make a minor break in NYC massive urban heat island.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Environmentalism is so freaking weird. It's not even about the environment! It's about... something else?

Its about my land value number going up up up and making my pee pee feel good.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
every since I watched a video about those giant heavy presses, I'm extremely disappointed that the US/DoD during the Cold War went "nah we're fine with our 50 000 ton'ers."

loving horse poo poo, we should redeem ourselves with not just 100K, but go even higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dont trust Germany to not backpaddle if the the war ends just as fast. or even try to do it if it drags on.