Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IIRC adding new animation types in the WLED source is pretty straightforward, just have to make sure that the firmware still fits in your target flash (or strip out unused ones to make room)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My thought was just that most animations that would fit a neon-styled sign would be easy enough to replicate with the built-in options. This took me about ten minutes of fiddling around to get something that resembles the animation Deadite posted:
https://i.imgur.com/fqYfKyV.mp4

I had to use a bit of trickery with multiple virtual segments because the default chase animations don't allow you to configure the spacing between chasers separate from their size nor can they be configured to jump multiple pixels at a time, but it wasn't super complicated.

I'm using the "Chase 3" animation with the first color set to bright, the other two to dim, and the size set to the minimum so it hops from one "pixel" to another. Then I use the grouping and spacing options to make each "pixel" multiple LEDs and set how far apart they are. The static segment then has reversed grouping and spacing settings to fill in the gaps with just the dim color.

But yes, if you're prepared to use FastLED you're probably capable of adding patterns to WLED as well. There's also the ARTI-FX scripting language available in the "MoonModules" builds: https://mm.kno.wled.ge/moonmodules/arti-fx/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

wolrah posted:

Except when there was logic on the stick, which was not uncommon in the late '90s where USB was not even widespread much less universal but people still wanted to have more than four buttons and four axes, like for example a lot of the Microsoft Sidewinder products: https://github.com/MaZderMind/SidewinderInterface

They use the fact that the analog axes produce a pulse when read by the host to signal a request for data and then the controller responds with a clock signal on the button 1 line and serial data on button 2 which makes it work kinda like the NES/SNES. I have a Saitek gamepad from the early 2000s that's pretty much a PSX dual analog knockoff and supports game port as well as USB presumably through a similar trick.

For a while I had a joystick that used normal gameport nonsense for the stick proper (2 axes + 4 buttons), but also let you map the base buttons to arbitrary sequences of keystrokes.

How did they do it? Well, there's a PS/2 in port on the joystick itself, and the joystick cable splits into gameport and PS/2 connectors, so you plug your keyboard into the joystick and the joystick pretends to also be a keyboard sometimes. To add new bindings you hold down the remap button, then press the button you want to remap, then type on the keyboard, then release the remap button.