Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

So college and pro level sports fans shouldn't clap for an injured player as he leaves the field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Your Taint posted:

So college and pro level sports fans shouldn't clap for an injured player as he leaves the field?

That's just basic human empathy and far removed from something like running up the score or doing an elaborate touchdown dance.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Your Taint posted:

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's just basic human empathy and far removed from something like running up the score or doing an elaborate touchdown dance.

what he said

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

My pride is worth more than your life.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: Not excusing him killing off the USFL. That was horseshit, but drat I want to see some scare the poo poo out of the NFL again.

You mean besides Bennet Omalu?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://vimeo.com/196354975

This is so iconic I cannot wait

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Obligatory good sportsmanship should stop at the high school level.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Your Taint posted:

Haha solid take.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://vimeo.com/196354975

This is so iconic I cannot wait

oh maaaaaaaannnnnnnn :f5:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just watched Catholics vs. Convicts and holy poo poo it made ND come off so so badly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Make it college. Then once you're a pro nothing is out of bounds. NOTHING

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just watched Catholics vs. Convicts and holy poo poo it made ND come off so so badly.

Well it was about Notre Dame, so that was a given.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not a 30-for-30 but this is probably as good a place as any for it

There's a movie about Tonya Harding coming out, starring Margot Robbie

:psyduck:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I watched the BC point shaving scandal doc

Everyone involved was pretty stupid all around, Rick Kuhn didn't deserve 10 years, Bowie got hosed

Worst. Fix. Ever.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

That one is one of my favorites mostly because I had watched Goodfellas a couple of days before watching the doc, and boom there's Henry Hill. Also Jim Sweeney comes off as more full of poo poo than Henry Hill, which I don't know how that's humanly possible.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

XFL documentary debuts tonight. My ten year old rear end loved that stupid loving league.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DVR is set. Still so much merchandise from that league on Ebay.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's time!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is going to own so hard.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Sacramento Kings photos in the 30 for 30 intro are awkward.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You know, in hindsight it's obvious that the XFL was a terrible, terrible idea, but looking back I suppose someone had to think it was a good idea to actually do the XFL.

E: Costas just coming on and making GBS threads on it immediately.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 3, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

You know, in hindsight it's obvious that the XFL was a terrible, terrible idea, but looking back I suppose someone had to think it was a good idea to actually do the XFL.

E: Costas just coming on and making GBS threads on it immediately.
It was NBC's belated "revenge" against the NFL for losing its football broadcasts. Just imagine the pitch:

WELL IT'S THE WWF AND IT'S FOOTBALL, AND PEOPLE WATCH BOTH SO YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL WATCH THIS!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

It was NBC's belated "revenge" against the NFL for losing its football broadcasts. Just imagine the pitch:

WELL IT'S THE WWF AND IT'S FOOTBALL, AND PEOPLE WATCH BOTH SO YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL WATCH THIS!

I really wish NBC had never lost the AFC package. They were actually GOOD at covering the league unlike CBS who seems like they lost something after they lost the NFC.

In theory...creating a "new" football league around that time would have been a good idea if done right. The NFL was really struggling, and was at a very weak point within (like right now) and some competition was definitly needed. Each time that the NFL was indeed "vulnerable" a new league would pop up full of owners, players, coaches and teams that the NFL had kinda rejected.

The XFL should have followed the lead of the AFL, USFL by finding owners like Cuban, etc that the NFL wanted nothing to do with and went hog wild.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

I really wish NBC had never lost the AFC package. They were actually GOOD at covering the league unlike CBS who seems like they lost something after they lost the NFC.

In theory...creating a "new" football league around that time would have been a good idea if done right. The NFL was really struggling, and was at a very weak point within (like right now) and some competition was definitly needed. Each time that the NFL was indeed "vulnerable" a new league would pop up full of owners, players, coaches and teams that the NFL had kinda rejected.

The XFL should have followed the lead of the AFL, USFL by finding owners like Cuban, etc that the NFL wanted nothing to do with and went hog wild.

Funny story about the USFL, you know the owner who convinced them to to take the fatal step of moving to compete directly against the NFL, and thus sealed their demise?

A certain Donald J. Trump.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Funny story about the USFL, you know the owner who convinced them to to take the fatal step of moving to compete directly against the NFL, and thus sealed their demise?

Yep.

He bought a team because the NFL rejected his offer to buy the Baltimore Colts.

To his CREDIT? He actually was a good owner. Paid his players well, and seemed to treat them well. However his "football knowledge" side was very lacking. IIRC, I think Walt Michaels was trying to encourage him to draft Randall Cunningham rather than Doug Flutie. Trump refused because he wanted a "name" to sell fans, and thus yeah...he made a bad decision.

The push for them to go to the fall was also idiotic, but again, Trump wanted the mystique of being an NFL owner.

He'd have been an okay NFL owner. In the same way that I feel the W. would have been a great commissioner rather than a POTUS, Trump as an owner of the Colts/Generals going against the likes of Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Al Davis as being the crazy "wildcard" of the league.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sky Shadowing posted:

There's a 30 for 30 about that too. I might be remembering this wrong but I think he was proud of winning the lawsuit for 3 dollars?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

How hilarious that the XFL was hurt by a good game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

There's a 30 for 30 about that too. I might be remembering this wrong but I think he was proud of winning the lawsuit for 3 dollars?
He also wrote an extremely angry letter to the guy who directed that particular 30 for 30 too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

He also wrote an extremely angry letter to the guy who directed that particular 30 for 30 too.

"You're a washed up hack. You've never done a single good thing in your life. Sad!"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
HOLY poo poo, A BERMAN DOCUMENTARY

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/ChrisOwens62/status/827359427409956864

People are getting excited thinking the XFL is coming back now.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I was looking forward to the XFL film, the Berman one is an amazing surprise!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Bob Seger talking about Chris Berman is great television, this is fantastic. And Bill Belichick!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Costas was on maximum smug mode in that documentary. I can't believe NBC let him take on McMahon like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Costas was on maximum smug mode in that documentary. I can't believe NBC let him take on McMahon like that.

Was he still with NBC then?

I guess he was always kinda with NBC because of the Olympics, but I thought the interview bit might have been on the HBO Costas show.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

God bless :vince:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NHL Network is doing a short documentary on iconic film "Slapshot" at 8PM tonight.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/829377843243139073

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Odd that 30 for 30 hasn't done that yet. Or just the whole Baylor sports program in general. Rape and murder! Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like the XFL doc could have been much longer and done in multiple parts. So many stories they left out like the Honda debacle. How do we get James Andrew Miller to write an oral history on it?

• Locked thread