Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
I think a great subject for a 30 for 30 documentary would be the Buffalo Bills four trips to the Super Bowl, and their four losses in the Super Bowl. The emotional impact of such a both amazing and horrifying streak would be an interesting thing to look at. Plus all of the major athletic accomplishments that happened during that period, such as The Comeback.

Hello, maybe just do one on Scott Norwood's life from his missed kick onwards. That alone would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Danica! posted:

Absolutely. I was a Senna fan too, but they did kinda Jesus-fy him, which wasn't entirely accurate.

Something that bothered me about it, and the same thing with Dale, was they never went into the engineering/mechanical issues that led to the accident. A dude got convicted of manslaughter over Senna's death. His car hit an unprotected barrier in Tamburello corner. The day after Ratzenberger died hitting an unprotected barrier. There was a lot of important poo poo they left out. It was crash, "if the suspension was 6 inches in any direction he would have lived", cut to funeral. Dale ended with crash , seatbelt broke, roll credits.

Whole lot of important details left out there.

They left so much out of Senna it wasn't funny. Like by the end it got past "Well, they left out stuff that made Senna look bad" to "They weren't actually painting a picture of what happened, just telling you that Senna was the best."

They should do a 30 for 30 on the end of the last MLB season, just because after watching that one with Bill Simmons with a smug, poo poo eating grin we are owed one of him crying about the death of that Red Sox dynasty. :)

Edit: Also, I thought the U was great, the Pony Express was really good, and the ones (I'm a non-American) about the Yugoslavian Basketball team and the Alabama running back were tragic (As in, incredible documentaries that made me :smith:).

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Dude Bro posted:

I think a great subject for a 30 for 30 documentary would be the Buffalo Bills four trips to the Super Bowl, and their four losses in the Super Bowl. The emotional impact of such a both amazing and horrifying streak would be an interesting thing to look at. Plus all of the major athletic accomplishments that happened during that period, such as The Comeback.

Hello, maybe just do one on Scott Norwood's life from his missed kick onwards. That alone would be amazing.

To elaborate a bit, maybe a doc about people who choked at crucial moments and what it did to their lives/careers. Earnest Byner. Mitch Williams. Scott Norwood. Jean Van De Velde. Greg Norman. Leon Durham. Grady Little. The '99 Blazers.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

To elaborate a bit, maybe a doc about people who choked at crucial moments and what it did to their lives/careers. Earnest Byner. Mitch Williams. Scott Norwood. Jean Van De Velde. Greg Norman. Leon Durham. Grady Little. The '99 Blazers.

If they really wanted to tell a messed up story about this, they could do one about Donnie Moore.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Nick Anderson

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Frot Lesnar posted:

Nick Anderson

I'd love to see an explanation for how a once-explosive shooting guard started having a worse free throw percentage than Shaq.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Panzeh posted:

I'd love to see an explanation for how a once-explosive shooting guard started having a worse free throw percentage than Shaq.

Basketball's equivalent of Steve Blass disease. Which would make an interesting documentary in and of itself.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

He played like poo poo for a year or two, then exploded for half a season where he single handedly won games and even won a Player of the Month award, and then faded off into oblivion for good. Hell, do one on that whole Magic team just so we can see Dennis Scott explain his profanity-laden freestyle rapping session he did in front of a bunch of horrified 7 year olds at his basketball camp that led to him being traded

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They should do one about the 1994 Expos.

94 Expos Wikipedia posted:

In 1994, the Expos team — and Larry Walker — appeared to be rising to its potential. Led by rising young stars Pedro Martínez, Moisés Alou, Cliff Floyd, Mike Lansing and Jeff Fassero, Montreal was off to a 74-40 start, leading the National League Eastern Division. They had scored 585 runs (5.13 per game) and allowed 454 runs (3.98 per game) through 114 games by Friday, August 12.

Walker, with 86 RBI, was well on his way to his first 100-RBI year; Ken Hill was on pace to win 23 games while Pedro Martinez was on pace to strike out more than 200 batters. Moisés Alou was hitting .339 and on pace to collect more than 200 hits for the first time in his career. Marquis Grissom was on pace to score 137 runs. Two other Expos, namely Alou and Walker, were also on pace to score more than 100 runs. The team was also drawing well at home: through 52 home games in 1994, 1,276,250 fans had attended Expos games, for an average of 24,543 per game. At that pace, the Expos would have had a good chance of drawing two million fans for the first time since 1983. The season, however, was stopped due to the 1994 players' strike. The World Series, for which the Expos appeared to be destined, was never played and Montreal lost many of its players during the next season due to free agency and salary constraints and the team never recovered. The 1994 Montreal Expos team that could have been remains one of baseball's hot discussion points. The collapse of the Expos would eventually lead to the team moving to Washington D.C. ten years later.
To sum it up, after a few seasons of steady improvement, they had broken out into this scary good team of all-stars and a potential HoFer or two, only to see it all end with the late-season work stoppage. Everything they had built years towards, including rising attendance figures that were their best in over a decade, came to an immediate halt.

After the stoppage, they lost a lot of talent due to salary constraints and the FA market, and they just never recovered. Pretty much from that point on, give a season, they dwelled in the bottom half of the NL East with horrible attendance and a crumbling ballpark, until they got moved to DC.

edit: Another thing I just noticed that could be possibly it's own story, and that's the monetary exchange rates. In the winter of 94/95, the Canadian dollar was at it's weakest point in decades, and it only kept weakening until around 2003 when it bottomed out. I wonder how much of an effect that had, with not only the Expos situation but I know there's been NHL teams that had struggled to compete with large US market teams for players throughout those years. I know it's a big reason why there is a salary cap in hockey now if I'm not mistaken, which came about after the 2005 stoppage. It probably had an effect on the Nordiques and Jets leaving in the mid 90's.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 10, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They should just do one on the Expos in general. Or Expos fans in 2012.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I was thinking about this during the day and the only one that hasn't been mentioned is Pelle Lindbergh. Rising star goaltender who died too young.

pfunkdaddy
Nov 19, 2004

*makes it rain*
Hoss Radbourn or Rube Waddell

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
Not 30 for 30, but there is a really well done broad street bullies HBO documentary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broad_Street_Bullies_(film)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I would like to see a 30 for 30 on @Horse_ebooks

no, but seriously, "June 17, 1994" is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Really glad they've got all these up on Netflix now so I can catch up on some of the ones I've missed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

pfunkdaddy posted:

Hoss Radbourn or Rube Waddell
Or better yet an investigation into the circumstances surrounding HOFer Ed Delahanty's death, where he fell into Niagara Falls after being kicked off a train for being too drunk. One of the weirder HOFer deaths (although Jimmie Foxx choked to death on some food and died in his later years).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is a good place to also recommend HBO Sports Documentaries which are pretty much superior to 30 for 30 with very few exceptions.

Some HBO Sports Docs I recommend:

• The Ghosts of Flatbush - recalls the tragedy of the Brooklyn Dodgers and their eventual move out to LA
  • :03 Seconds from Gold - About the screwjob experienced by the 1972 USA basketball team
  • Do You Believe in Miracles? - Miracle on ice, 1980
  • America's Hero....Betrayed - Story of Joe Louis, within the context of America's civil rights battle and racial consciousness
  • Nine Innings from Ground Zero - Story of the 2001 World Series in the aftermath of 9/11
  • One Day in September - Munich Olympics tragedy

There are many others, but these are ones I've seen and thought were fantastic. I know HBO programming is sometimes harder to come by (not on Netflix, etc.) but if you can manage to find these, or any of their "Sports of the 20th Century" documentaries, don't pass it up.

edit: All of these I'm pretty sure are narrated by Liev Schrieber, who is an awesome narrator with an awesome voice.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
They red sox curse one HBO did was pretty good, but then they re-cut it with a new ending after 2004.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Mahoning posted:

[*]Nine Innings from Ground Zero - Story of the 2001 World Series in the aftermath of 9/11

I'm a bit biased, but this one was really, really good.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Mahoning posted:

[*]:03 Seconds from Gold - About the screwjob experienced by the 1972 USA basketball team

I did some work with a professor who did a lot of research/talking head segments for this and his conclusion was basically that the soviet coach almost certainly properly called a timeout and the refs just didn't see it and hosed up. Massive fuckup, not a screwjob.

that said it's still a really good film!

Nerokerubina fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 11, 2012

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Nerokerubina posted:

I did some work with a professor who did a lot of research/talking head segments for this and his conclusion was basically that the soviet coach almost certainly properly called a timeout and the refs just didn't see it and hosed up. Massive fuckup, not a screwjob.

that said it's still a really good film!

Wow that is interesting that there might not be as much corruption as people think. Thanks for sharing!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are the HBO docs part of HBOGO? Been teetering on the fence about getting HBO and that might take me over the edge.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

for HBO docs:

Ohio State/Michigan: The rivalry is a great watch as well, and perfectly captures what football means to this part of the country.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I liked The Announcement as I was too young at the time to realize how huge the AIDS epidemic was back then, and how little people knew about the disease. Really touching story. Magic Johnson was a class act in that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Are the HBO docs part of HBOGO? Been teetering on the fence about getting HBO and that might take me over the edge.
I would also like to know, as I have HBO but have no idea if I can watch these things or not.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would also like to know, as I have HBO but have no idea if I can watch these things or not.
Somewhat infuriatingly considering that they have everything else, more or less, it appears most of them are not. Some of the more recent Legends and Legacies docs (Namath, Ruth, etc) are up.

Here are the feature length ones I can find on HBOGo:

-Shot Heard 'Round the World
-Sugar Ray Robinson
-When It Was A Game III
-The Runnin' Rebels of UNLV
-Prayer for a Perfect Season
-Namath
-City Dump: The CCNY Basketball Scandal
-Babe Ruth

All of the boxing and Flyers/Rags 24/7 episodes are up there though.

pfunkdaddy
Nov 19, 2004

*makes it rain*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or better yet an investigation into the circumstances surrounding HOFer Ed Delahanty's death, where he fell into Niagara Falls after being kicked off a train for being too drunk. One of the weirder HOFer deaths (although Jimmie Foxx choked to death on some food and died in his later years).

I actually typed ed delahanty, and then backed off. That would be neat.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pfunkdaddy posted:

I actually typed ed delahanty, and then backed off. That would be neat.

Also, a look at the life and death of Marty Bergen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a good book about him, but I would like to see a thorough documentary about Moe Berg, a former journeyman catcher for several teams in the 1930s who spied on Japan during the 1934 Tour of Japan that several HOFers were on. He later worked for the OSS in South America during WWII and maybe briefly the CIA later. A lot of his life is still a mystery, as he was a secretive and reclusive person who didn't have much of a family and drifted around later in life.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Niwrad posted:

The only sports related ones I'm seeing on GO are the series of "On Freddie Roach", and a doc on Bobby Fischer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ozymandius1024 posted:

and a doc on Bobby Fischer.

For whatever it's worth I enjoyed this one, although it was kind of more a history lesson in general to me. I don't even begin to know enough about chess to do anything but believe people when they talk about Fischer's brilliance.

Speaking of history lessons if we're branching out from the 30 for 30 stuff I really enjoyed Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson. It's by Ken Burns (Civil War, Baseball, other stuff), so if you dislike him you might not like it. And conversely if you like that type of thing you should like this.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Has anyone ever made a documentary about the Cleveland Browns relocation? I enjoyed that film someone made about the Seattle Supersonics.

On the topic of HBO documentaries, I loved A Courtship of Rivals about Larry Bird and Magic Johnson.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

When Todd Marinovich was caught for possession of meth he wept, for he knew that there were no substances left to smoke, shoot, or snort.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I've enjoyed most of these that I've seen, especially Unguarded and Catching Hell, but the absolute worst one I've watched is Straight Outta LA by Ice Cube. I thought it would be interesting because I know the Raiders have one hell of a history and Al Davis is a story all his own, but it quickly turned into an hour-long+ handjob about NWA and how they changed hip-hop. That's also an interesting story on it's own, but I wanted to know more about the Raiders.

Run, Ricky, Run felt pretty flat too, but Straight Outta LA was just terrible.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just watched the Todd Marinovich one the other night. One of my favorites so far, great insight into the relationship between Todd and Marv, both when they were younger and now.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Technowrite posted:

I've enjoyed most of these that I've seen, especially Unguarded and Catching Hell, but the absolute worst one I've watched is Straight Outta LA by Ice Cube. I thought it would be interesting because I know the Raiders have one hell of a history and Al Davis is a story all his own, but it quickly turned into an hour-long+ handjob about NWA and how they changed hip-hop. That's also an interesting story on it's own, but I wanted to know more about the Raiders.

Run, Ricky, Run was so disappointing because he is such an interesting dude and if done right it could've brought up some important and relevant points or questions. As it is though, it just comes off as some amateur with a lot of Ricky Williams footage putting together a haphazard film that just sort of meanders.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Technowrite posted:

If I remember right, Straight Outta LA wasn't really supposed to be about the Raiders as much as it was supposed to be about their connection to hip hop culture in the 80s and 90s.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.

BasicFunk posted:

If I remember right, Straight Outta LA wasn't really supposed to be about the Raiders as much as it was supposed to be about their connection to hip hop culture in the 80s and 90s.

But it mostly became about NWA and Ice Cube. That was my problem with it. I feel like a good documentarian lets the story tell itself and not let themselves become the story.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BIZORT posted:

...Dennis Scott explain his profanity-laden freestyle rapping session he did in front of a bunch of horrified 7 year olds at his basketball camp that led to him being traded

Wait, what? Holy poo poo. I didn't know about this.

Seriously, I was only 10 around this time. Can't find any information on it online. Any info would be much appreciated.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 15, 2012

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I remember hearing about it a long time ago. Dug this up that sheds some light on it.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1997-07-13/sports/9707120935_1_dennis-scott-camp-explicit-lyrics

Here is some video too :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXdBQmelWE

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

"He then told the children not to ask him for his autograph, but about the rage inside of him"

:stare:

• Locked thread