Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't follow racing but the Tim Richmond one seems pretty hated by racing fans as a total whitewash by ESPN and the France family.

Someone once said "Winning Time" could just as easily have been 90 minutes of footage of Spike Lee crying. Goddamn is that true. I forgot how obscenely clutch he was against the Knicks.

I wanted the one about Jimmy the Greek to be a lot better than it was. The whole thing was just fuckin' weird.

Fab 5 was loving fantastic. Alliteration :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Danica! posted:

Pony Excess and Once Brothers were both good.

The one that I can't turn off though is Unmatched. It covers probably one of the most fascinating athletes ever Martina Navratilova and her rivalry/friendship with Chris Evert. Watch this.

Unmatched was a very underrated episode.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was expecting a lot better from "Kings Ransom" but :geno:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd love to see one on cheating/rule bending in NASCAR. Basically make it a 90 minute documentary on Smokey Yunick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

90 minutes of Earl Weaver swearing at umpires and reporters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

October 2nd: 'Broke' (about athletes and financial troubles. Subjects include Bernie Kosar, Andre Rison, and Cliff Floyd)

Really looking forward to seeing this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spikey posted:

There's a new 30 for 30 short up: The Arnold Palmer

This is awesome. Arnie owns.

I finally saw Pony Excess on Thanksgiving, I thought I knew most of the story but holy hell I never realized just how blatant they were in pulling that poo poo. :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://youtu.be/P4DLvI6LehE

If you can't wait for the 30 for 30 about the Soviet side of the miracle game, this doc about the Red Army is releasing now, hosted by Slava Fetisov and produced by Werner Herzog. It looks fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's wild to see the Finns go from the finals to 4th place, and the consolation game was actually for 5th.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JackssWastedLife posted:

Dude also has a serious thing about horses :stare:

Horse people are loving loony. Every single one of them.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Watch The Two Escobars...like...immediately.

Seriously, this is a painfully underrated one. It's fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Somewhat related: I finally got around to watching "Red Army", which if you've seen the "Of Miracles and Men" 30 for 30, this goes into far greater detail about the Soviet hockey program as a whole. Both feature Slava Fetisov very heavily. He basically treats Gabe Polsky like crap (which is kind of hilarious, honestly. Polsky seems really out of his depth with Fetisov) but he has some fantastic stories, and goes into great depth about the famed "Russian Five". Also has neat interviews with Vladisav Tretiak and a former KGB agent who traveled with the team to prevent defections. It's on Google Play and I'd imagine iTunes as well.

E: Oh and Werner Herzog was an executive producer, which owns.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Niwrad posted:

How incompetent do you have to be before it actually starts hurting your career?

Basically you have to be Gawker/AJ Daulerio levels of stupid. Regular brand incompetence is run of the mill these days, sadly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Would love to hear more Phi Slama Jama opinions. Been working on that one the past couple of years.

Real talk, you did a great job. I don't follow basketball very closely these days and I'd kind of forgotten just how great those teams were.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

oh man :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Jessie also play for the U? Seems to play for controversial schools a lot if so...

He did

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh gently caress yes :munch:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There is another Michael Jordan documentary in the works.

It is 10 hours long :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Michael Jordan's suspension was steroid related, SAS had an excellent thread on it awhile ago

That thread loving ruled

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bless you for finding this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-reveals-details-for-ric-flair-30-for-30-documentary-including-director-rory-karpf.html

FLAIR

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Showtime is doing a documentary of Lawrence Phillips on December 16th

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A 30 for 30 on John Calipari will premiere on ESPN on April 13th, right between the end of March Madness and the start of the NBA Playoffs

EDIT:

MAGIC/BIRD ONE TOO :toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 6, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yesssssssssss

E: loving lol
"The XFL is accused of selling out the dark side of gratuitous violence, tawdry titillation, lousy football, and scripted, low-life garbage."

Well thank loving god the NFL isn't anything like that at all :v:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 11, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing brings up a couple interesting points, that for all the goofiness that the XFL was, they also really pushed forward on a lot of things you see in today's NFL and college broadcasts. Widespread use of the sky cam, cameras in huddles, players introducing themselves, live cameras in locker rooms, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i don't care what anyone says, i thought that scramble drill instead of a kickoff was amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Didn't guys get hurt doing this?

probably

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HBO is doing a multi-part documentary on Muhammad Ali

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your Taint posted:

Didn't the XFL invent the camera on a cable above the field? If nothing else, that's a pretty big part of every NFL broadcast.

They didn't invent it but they were the first to really heavily use it. They were also largely responsible for pioneering the deeper access/coverage into huddles, locker rooms, etc.

The XFL was a mess but in terms of broadcasting they really got the ball rolling on a lot of what's standard today in college and the NFL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think he did play by play for the sooners on a regional fox sports network a while back. Using him for the XFL wasn't really out of the ordinary

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The XFL was basically one huge middle finger to the NFL. For that alone it is to be commended.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I'm pretty sure he used to be the Atlanta Falcons PBP guys a long time ago if I'm not mistaken.

Wiki says he was actually there twice, first as color commentary on radio then PBP for them on TV. Neat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://vimeo.com/196354975

This is so iconic I cannot wait

oh maaaaaaaannnnnnnn :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's not a 30-for-30 but this is probably as good a place as any for it

There's a movie about Tonya Harding coming out, starring Margot Robbie

:psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NHL Network is doing a short documentary on iconic film "Slapshot" at 8PM tonight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember how awesome "OJ: Made In America" was?

Well ESPN is going to follow that up with.......... A multi-part documentary on Chicago Bears fans.

:confused:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this seems like something that a local CSN affiliate or WGN would do, and that would make sense. I have no idea how this is meant to appeal nationwide.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the Ric Flair 30 for 30 debuts September 8th

quote:

The Flair 30 For 30 will feature interviews with everyone from Vince McMahon, The Undertaker, Sting, and Ricky Steamboat to Flair’s children and his first wife. And yes, they talked to Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson. The final version of the doc is expected to run from 90 to 120 minutes (including commercial breaks).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god I forgot how awkward those were

and it's all the funnier that O'Brien missed the team like a month before the games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah as I recall, Reebok was getting hammered by Nike in the athletic shoe world so banking on O'Brien and Johnson to get them back into the fray was far from the worst idea.

• Locked thread