Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just recently watched The Real Rocky, and that was a pretty interesting study about fame and how it can be both a boon and a curse. I hadn't watched that one when it aired, since the airing schedule for the docs they made after the original 30 for 30 run was very random. I'm not sure how many people even saw this one.

Same goes for the one about the trans tennis player, who obviously had a pretty rough life since she played pro tennis in the 1970s.

I enjoyed Small Potatoes, since I wasn't around when the USFL was a thing, and it was interesting to see how well a minor league did at that time, even stealing some future HOFers away from the NFL for a time. But of course Trump has to ruin everything he touches and sued the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They should have done one about Dock Ellis' LSD perfect game when he was still alive.

That Steinbrenner doc was disappointing to me, because originally I thought it was pitched as more of a story about Steinbrenner himself. But then he died and 90% of that doc was about New Yankee Stadium, which I could give a crap about.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here is the schedule for the upcoming 30 for 30 'Round II':

October 2nd: 'Broke' (about athletes and financial troubles. Subjects include Bernie Kosar, Andre Rison, and Cliff Floyd)

October 9th: '9.79' (about Ben Johnson breaking the speed record and then getting busted for doping)

October 16th: 'There's No Place Like Home' (about a man trying to purchase the original Naismith 'Rules of Basketball' at a Sotheby's auction so that he can return them to Naismith's home down of Lawrence, Kansas)

October 23rd: 'Benji' (about Ben Wilson, a major HS basketball prospect who was murdered in 1984 shortly before his senior season)

October 30th: 'Ghosts of Ole Miss' (about the integration in 1962 at the University of Mississippi and their unbeaten football team)

December 8th: 'You Don't Know Bo' (about Bo Jackson and what he's been doing since he retired, or something)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

Cliff Floyd has been retired since 2010, and he made over 53 million dollars in his career :stare:
Yeah, all of a sudden this year he's doing Marlins TV broadcasts with Preston Wilson. He never did anything to my knowledge TV-wise before this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I believe that the Bo documentary has already aired before at a few public screenings, and the buzz has been generally positive.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pfunkdaddy posted:

Hoss Radbourn or Rube Waddell
Or better yet an investigation into the circumstances surrounding HOFer Ed Delahanty's death, where he fell into Niagara Falls after being kicked off a train for being too drunk. One of the weirder HOFer deaths (although Jimmie Foxx choked to death on some food and died in his later years).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Niwrad posted:

Are the HBO docs part of HBOGO? Been teetering on the fence about getting HBO and that might take me over the edge.
I would also like to know, as I have HBO but have no idea if I can watch these things or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There's a good book about him, but I would like to see a thorough documentary about Moe Berg, a former journeyman catcher for several teams in the 1930s who spied on Japan during the 1934 Tour of Japan that several HOFers were on. He later worked for the OSS in South America during WWII and maybe briefly the CIA later. A lot of his life is still a mystery, as he was a secretive and reclusive person who didn't have much of a family and drifted around later in life.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Billy Corben (who directed 'The U') is leading off this next round of 30 for 30 episodes beginning this Tuesday at 8 PM Eastern with 'Broke'. There are new episodes almost every Tuesday all month.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A new 30 for 30 is on tonight: 'Broke' at 8 PM EDT on ESPN

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was surprised that during the segment about kids/women they managed to avoid any mention of Shawn Kemp and however many kids he has now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The next 30 for 30, '9.79', is on tonight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Even if he comes out with evidence against one of those guys, I doubt anything happens. They will claim that the samples were tainted or something. It's also kind of pointless now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

No, I believe that it was the doctor that was giving athletes/Ben Johnson HGH/anabolics that died.
That was in 2006.

The guy who died in 2010 was Ben Johnson's coach who was the one in charge of the doping regiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The majority of the 30 for 30s on Netflix are getting pulled off tonight at Midnight, so watch them while you still can.

• Locked thread