Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Danica! posted:

Absolutely. I was a Senna fan too, but they did kinda Jesus-fy him, which wasn't entirely accurate.

Something that bothered me about it, and the same thing with Dale, was they never went into the engineering/mechanical issues that led to the accident. A dude got convicted of manslaughter over Senna's death. His car hit an unprotected barrier in Tamburello corner. The day after Ratzenberger died hitting an unprotected barrier. There was a lot of important poo poo they left out. It was crash, "if the suspension was 6 inches in any direction he would have lived", cut to funeral. Dale ended with crash , seatbelt broke, roll credits.

Whole lot of important details left out there.

They left so much out of Senna it wasn't funny. Like by the end it got past "Well, they left out stuff that made Senna look bad" to "They weren't actually painting a picture of what happened, just telling you that Senna was the best."

They should do a 30 for 30 on the end of the last MLB season, just because after watching that one with Bill Simmons with a smug, poo poo eating grin we are owed one of him crying about the death of that Red Sox dynasty. :)

Edit: Also, I thought the U was great, the Pony Express was really good, and the ones (I'm a non-American) about the Yugoslavian Basketball team and the Alabama running back were tragic (As in, incredible documentaries that made me :smith:).

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The worst part about the Red Sox one is Bill Simmons' insufferable smugness. How about you make one about Game 162, Bill? :smug:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FInally got around to watching of Miracles and Men. It's really good.

gently caress those Canadians were dicks. lmao. :argh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Another great one that is cool despite ~sports~ I thought was the one about the Yugoslavian basketballers.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah one of the best, if you can describe something that made me cry as "the best"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Believeland was kind of disappointing. Felt more like a montage of bad things than anything deep. Needed more length and interview subjects.
Related, I liked the NFL films doc about Cleveland's last season before they became the Ravens.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah there's a mike and the mad dog one coming up.

I have also heard nothing but positive things about the OJ ones.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

Tim Richmond: To The Limit is on Netflix now. I highly suggest anyone with even a passing interest in NASCAR or auto racing watch it. He's widely considered in NASCAR circles to be one of the best racers ever, but he died young, one of the first big names to die of AIDS. Before his death, NASCAR tried to railroad him as a junkie, because he was a feathered hair having, speedo wearing Hollywood playboy in a land of rednecks, and he whipped their asses.

It's whitewashed some by NASCAR, but his story alone is incredible. Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder was loosely based on him.

Yeah it's really good.

It's also interesting to see some of the mea culpa from some of the drivers. None of them (apart from Petty Jr who seems like a cool dude) really say "I was wrong because he was just different" but it's still good nonetheless.

The story about Dale telling France it's bullshit that he was suspended because he was his toughest competition true or not, is really touching.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Early press on the John Daly ep is really positive, so I'm looking forward to that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there meant to be a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats good, I watched I Hate Christian Laettener despite not knowing anything much about college basketball I enjoyed the entire thing.

As long as they know what's bullshit and not when it comes to the interviews.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 22, 2016

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

One of the other cool things about 30 for 30 is that it spawned a bunch of other docs non-ESPN outlets. Heck, I even sort of like the Football Life docs on NFL Network.

I find the season/team ones interesting like the Houston team that imploded (lol buddy is such trash) and the last Browns season in Cleveland, and the ones about coaches to be generally good.

I also really liked the series (America's game?) about classic games. Although I have literally never seen them more than once or twice they seem hard to find. I saw one about the Cardiac Colts or something(?) with one of the Harbaugh brothers which was cool.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching Catholics v Convicts and I can't work it out. Like, it's entertaining me, but something is bugging me about this fan film about the rich white kids who really enjoyed it when Reagan spoke at their school getting revenge on those wild people from the poor university that beat 'em up at a football game previously.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Those drat kids with their hootin' and hollerin' and their swagger and celebrations, not playing the game the white, I mean, right way.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Ted posted:

I...don't remember the Honda debacle.

Something happened with Honda and Vince wanted to give them poo poo on the air, which everyone at NBC told them no way because Honda was a big time NBC sponsor in general. Eventually Vince got King to say something like "They were as unreliable as a Civic" or something like that and he got in serious poo poo for it because Vince always gotta Vince.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am still worried about WWE bullshit coming through but I am hopeful.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mike and the Mad Dog ep is real good, in my opinion.

I'm kinda shocked by some of it, but also not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/30for30/status/890331404352970753

also i enjoyed the mike and the mad dog 30 for 30 but i could see why people not from new york wouldn't care
I liked it because I grew up with the "gen 2" shows on radio and TV that probably wouldn't exist without it like the Kornheiser show (& PTI), LeBatard show etc.

Also apparently the Best doc was great but I haven't seen it.

• Locked thread