Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

soggybagel posted:

I hated the Red Sox one because jesus christ, that was so drat recent and also one of the most OVER COVERED sports stories of the past decade.

Granted I've only seen 4 of the episodes (16th Man, Two Escobars, Once Brothers, Catching Hell), but I thought Catching Hell was amazing!

I had losely followed baseball on and off for years, and when I first heard about the 30 for 30 I just assumed it was the Jess Maier yankees incident. I was amazed watching it when I discovered it was a completetly different incident that I hadn't heard of. I'm sure the US media ran it into the ground when it happened, but being in Australia I hadn't seen or heard of it before, and it was just a great documentary. I especially loved how it weaved in the background of the Red Sox curse and thought it did a really good job presenting the story given I hadn't heard of it before.

soggybagel posted:

Once Brothers and Tim Richmond: To the Limit both suffered (though the Richmond one to a much greater extent) from the fact that they were done by the official bodies of the respective sport. Once Brothers had far too contrived of an ending and Tim Richmond was a historical white wash.

Agree completetly with this. It felt a little heavy handed and while I did enjoy it, it definetly felt a step below the others I had seen.

soggybagel posted:

Also a friend of mine has an opportunity to possibly pitch some ideas to ESPN. What would a dream 30 for 30 be for you?

I've always thought it would be good to see them cover the 1968 Olympics and Tommie Smith, Peter Norman and John Carlos (the black power salute on the podium).

Also theres a few football related incidents that I think would fit the style of the shows perfectly, namely Hillsborough 1989 and Munich 1972.

I've found it very hard to find an easy (and legal) method of getting all the 30 for 30's in both the UK and Australia, so hopefully they can work on that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread